[Let's Play] Blood Sword V - The Walls of Spyte

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

So much for a peaceful resolution. Attack.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

And now we have what we need for the painting! Attack!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Between "attack or drink poison" I'll go with "attack."
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

GO GO REGICIDE!
You surge to your feet, shouting a battle-cry, and leap at the king. Suddenly, he disappears and everything is as it was when you saw that brief vision of skeletal guests and dusty, cobwebbed decay. The room is empty and lifeless. Everything is rust and rot. King Vorto is naught but a brittle corpse, his kingdom a miasma of decay and his subjects fleshless bones. You have been caught in some ghostly enchantment or twist of time, but now you gaze upon reality. You notice something that gleams with unsullied vitality. It is a gold ring, on one of the king's fingers. You may take it, for it has magical properties - the wearer of the ring feels a surge of strength and may add one to his Fighting Prowess while he wears it. You also notice a stairway leading upwards, behind the king's seat, previously shielded by an ornate tapestry that has long since rotted away. You decide to go up.
So much for Regicide...

The ring's got a stat bonus and everyone still has free slots, so I'm assuming we take it. Let me know who's gonna wear it later.
You come to a small landing, through a secret door at the top of the stairs. There are no other ways out, save through a set of large double doors of beaten copper. You try them and they swing open easily on oiled hinges.

If you have two eye-sized golden orbs, turn to 415. If you do not, turn to 87.
No....
You step through the double doors. You come into a large baronial hall, its walls hung with emblazoned shields and crossed weapons. At the far end of the hall is a huge iron throne, on which sits a hideous black-robed figure. Its hood is thrown back revealing a twisted demonic visage of Stygian horror, a nightmare face of glowing eyes and glistening fangs. From its robes four chitinous arms extend out, and as it stands you notice hooved feet. Behind the throne, in an alcove set into the wall, you notice the refulgent glow of the statuette of Our Lady of Time. Beside the throne stands another strange being, presumably the servitor of that which sits on the throne. It is ebon in colour, inlaid with a thin gold tracery, as if of marble, but this is no statue. As its head moves to track your progress, its black skin glitters in your torches like metal. Its face is uniformly perfect, an uncanny beauty that is unnerving in its unnaturalness. The eyes are twin orbs of shimmering gold.

The apparition on the throne whispers, in a voice like the whistling wind: 'Ah, guests. I am Onaka, Lord of the Timeless Wastes, and I have been set here by the True Magi to guard this idol. You have come to wrest it from me, as your thoughts, so easily rifled, tell me.' He laughs horribly. 'Prepare to die, then! Destroy them!' he says, gesturing at the black automaton at his side. Its head moves to inspect you, and then it strides forward, Onaka close behind. You must fight them.

Onaka
Fighting Prowess: 8
Psychic Ability: 9
Awareness: 9
Damage per blow: 4 Dice (spit for 3 Dice+6)
Armour Rating: 4
Endurance: 40

Note: Onaka will do one of three things each Round, depending on a Die roll:

1-2: Attacks nearest opponent, with two of four arms. This counts as two separate attacks against one target, each doing 4 Dice, if hit, each with a Fighting Prowess of 8.
3-4: Spits acid at randomly determined target; works as archery save doing 3 Dice+6 damage (armour counts).
5-6: Casts a spell - Onaka does not need any preparation time, and is considered to have whatever spell he likes already in mind. Roll a Die to determine the spell and then target (if applicable):

1: Nighthowl
2: Swordthrust
3: Mists of Death
4: Sheet Lightning
5: Nemesis Bolt
6: Servile Enthralment (order to attack comrades)

If you have a magic gold ring, and an Enchanter in the party, note the number of this entry and then turn to 454.

Ebon Automaton
Fighting Prowess: 9
Psychic Ability: 12
Awareness: 12
Damage per blow: 3 Dice
Armour Rating: 7
Endurance: 70

Note: Every other Round, instead of attacking, the automaton will release bolts of energy from its eyes at the character furthest from it. This works as for archery, save the automaton can (and will) shoot even if in close combat. A bolt does two Dice damage (armour counts).

You cannot flee Onaka and his automaton. In any case, where would you go? If you win, turn to 120.
Like I said, there's no reason not to have taken the ring, so let's see what it does....

ENCHANTER:
You remember the words of King Vorto and chant them hastily:

'He who is by Quotidian Time unbounded
Of amaranthine wastes, Exarch
Aoristic Onaka, his might impounded
By Void; of all demons, Autarch.'

Onaka howls an echoing howl of despair that tails away into a whimper of pain. But then he roars in rage and sweeps to the attack. From now on, Onaka is unable to cast spells. When the Dice say he will, he will use hand-to-hand combat instead. Turn back to the previous entry.
Not exactly sure that really improves the situation, since his PA isn't really much higher than his FP and he still does a ton of damage without his spells.

More importantly, this may be one of the most dangerous fights we've had for the last couple of books, because they both have ranged attacks and the Enchanter is still badly hurt. An unlucky roll may very well kill him.

Strategies, please.....and please indicate your positions clearly if you move, because note that the Automation aims his ranged attacks on those furthest from him, so I need to know exactly where you stand.

And of course, let me know who's wearing the ring so that I can assign the FP bonus.

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 12
Psychic Ability: 7
Awareness: 8
Endurance: 21/45
Damage: 2 Dice +2

*Extra Notes: Takes no FP/damage penalty when fighting unarmed, +1 Armour Rating from Potentiation on top of normal armour bonus

Items:
1 Sword
2 Sword
3 Plate Armour (Armour Rating four)
4 Money pouch (empty)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7 Holy Powder
8 Healing herbs (+2d6 END)
9-10 Empty slot
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Fighting Prowess: 10 (+3 from Blood Sword)
Endurance: 31/37
Damage: 4 Dice +1 (+2d6 Damage from Blood Sword)

Items:
1 Blood Sword (+3 FP, +2d6 Damage)
2 Studded Leather Armour (Armour Rating 2)
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (5 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 Book (looted from crystalized corpse) - turn to 493 if read
9 Healing herbs (+2d6 END)
10 Empty Slot
SAGE:
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Fighting Prowess: 7
Psychic Ability: 8
Awareness: 7
Endurance: 16/31
Damage: 2 Dice +1

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (4 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 Homunculus in a Bottle
9-10 Empty Slot
ENCHANTER:
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 1
Psychic Ability: 14
Endurance: 8/31
Damage: 1 Die +3

Items:
1 Sword
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Quiver (6 arrows)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7 Healing herbs (+2d6 END)
8-10 Empty Slot
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Sage should probably take the ring, he has an open slot and room to benefit on the RNG.

I think we want to focus fire Onaka down first, since he's the softer target that does more damage. Then we grind down the automaton. I'll move and attack pursuant to that plan.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I can't step away without eating damage, so I'll be doing my best to grind down the automaton. Oh and since we had an extra paragraph while the Enchanter was chanting, if anyone wants my herbs to heal up before the battle or keep in inventory, you're welcome.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, I'll take the ring. Reed should definitely take some herbs; Kiki might want to as well.

Anyhow, 1 Nemesis Bolt and a couple of punches from Kiki are pretty much guaranteed to drop Onaka. Without him his pet robot should fall fairly quickly. But to hasten the process I'll take a shot at Onaka (the automaton is literally immune to arrows). Once Onaka is out of the picture I'll move over to the Automaton and help poke it to death.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

I'll use my herbs while I'm chanting, and as for the fight... ugh. I'll Nemesis Bolt Big O, then swordthrust him. If I get down to 10 endurance or less, I'll move up next to the Automaton. Then I'll just continue to recall and cast nemesis bolt.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The Enchanter uses his healing herbs:

Dice roll = 9! Enchanter is up to 17 END.

That was a good roll. However, since Reed's standing furthest away from the Automation, he's going to be a target until he moves closer.

COMBAT LOG:
Round 1 ... FIGHT!

Awareness 12 acts ...

Ebon Automaton fights Trickster. Roll = 12.Miss.

Awareness 9 acts ...

Onaka moves and engages Warrior.

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior fights Onaka. Damage = 6+2-4 = 4. Onaka has 36 END left.

Warrior fights Onaka with off-hand. Damage = 5+2-4 = 3. Onaka has 33 END left.

Trickster fights Ebon Automaton. Roll = 5. (Hit!) Damage = 14+1-7 = 8. Ebon Automaton has 62 EN left.

Enchanter attempts to cast Nemesis Bolt on Onaka. Roll = 3+5 = 8. Success! Damage = 22+7-4 = 25. Onaka has 11 EN left.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Sage shoots Onaka. Roll = 7. (Hit!) Damage = 6-4 = 2. Onaka has 9 END left.

Quick Thinking bonus:

Trickster fights Ebon Automaton. Roll = 9. (Hit!) Damage = 10+1-7 = 4. Ebon Automaton has 58 END left.

Round 2

Awareness 12 acts ...

Ebon Automaton shoots Enchanter. Roll = 4. (Hit!) Damage = 7-2 = 5. Enchanter has 12 END left.

Awareness 9 acts ...

Onaka fights Warrior. Roll = 3. (Hit!) Damage = 17-5 = 12. Warrior has 9 END left!

Onaka fights Warrior with second arm. Roll = 3. (Hit!) Damage = 9-5 = 4. Warrior has 5 END left!

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior fights Onaka. Damage = 7+2-4 = 5. Onaka has 5 END left.

Warrior fights Onaka with off-hand. Damage = 6+2-4 = 4. Onaka has 1 END left.

Trickster fights Ebon Automaton. Roll = 5. (Hit!) Damage = 13+1-7 = 7. Ebon Automaton has 51 END left.

Enchanter casts Swordthrust. Automatic success! Onaka is killed.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Sage moves and engages Ebon Automaton.
Onaka is down, but the Warrior is also in critical condition. Whether she engages the Automation or not, the latter has a decent chance of killing her with one lucky hit. I'm going to step in here and have her use the herbs next round.

COMBAT LOG (continued):
Round 3

Awareness 12 acts ...

Ebon Automaton fights Trickster. Roll = 7. (Hits on 3d6!) Damage = 10-2 = 8. Trickster has 23 END left.

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior uses healing herbs. Roll = 6. Warrior is up to 11 END.

Trickster fights Ebon Automaton. Roll = 8. (Hit!) Damage = 14+1-7 = 8. Ebon Automaton has 43 END left.

Enchanter moves and engages Automation (let's hope it keeps targeting the Trickster)

Awareness 7 acts ...

Sage fights Ebon Automaton. Roll = 9. (Miss! The ring wasn't enough!)

Round 4

Awareness 12 acts ...

Ebon Automaton shoots Warrior. Roll = 7. (Hits!) Damage = 4-5 = No Damage!

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior engages Automation.

Trickster fights Ebon Automaton. Roll = 5. (Hit!) Damage = 12+1-7 = 6. Ebon Automaton has 37 END left.

Enchanter calls Nemesis Bolt to mind.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Sage fightss Ebon Automaton. Roll = 7. (Hits!) Damage = 3+1-7 = No damage!

Round 5

Awareness 12 acts ...

Ebon Automaton fights Warrior. Roll = 7. (Hits!) Damage = 8-5 = 3. Warrior has 8 END left.

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior fights Ebon Automaton. Damage = 5+1-7 = No Damage!

Warrior fights Ebon Automaton with off-hand. Damage = 7+1-7 = 1. Ebon Automaton has 36 EN left.

Trickster fights Ebon Automaton. Roll = 3. (Hit!) Damage = 20+1-7 = 14. Ebon Automaton has 22 EN left.

Enchanter casts Nemesis Bolt! Damage = 20+7-7 = 20. Ebon Automaton has 2 EN left.

Awareness 7 acts ...

Sage fights Ebon Automaton. Roll = 12. Miss!

Round 6

Awareness 12 acts ...

Ebon Automaton fights (everyone is engages, so there's no one to shoot at) Sage. Roll = 6. (Hits!) Damage = 11-2 = 9. Sage has 7 END left.

Awareness 8 acts ...

Warrior fights Ebon Automaton. Damage = 8+1-7 = 2! Ebon Automaton is destroyed!
That Automation sure took a lot of killing, but fortunately, we managed to take it down without suffering actual casualty!
On the instant that Onaka falls, his body and all traces of his presence fade from reality. Nothing remains. You approach the alcove containing the statuette. Just above, hung on the wall, is a fine yew longbow with an ivory handle inscribed with runes of power. Beside it in an enamelled quiver are five arrows, of equal workmanship and power. They have magical qualities. The bow adds one to Fighting Prowess when using archery, and the arrows do 1 Die+3 damage when they hit. Much pleased, you reach for the statuette.
You know, the Sage could really have used those arrows in that last battle.

Since Pepito still has equipment slots, I'm assuming he takes the quiver and exchanges his bow for the new one. If the Trickster wants them instead, let me know.
You pick up the statuette. Everything goes black for a moment, and all around you a cascade of whirling colours and blasts of energy fill your vision. Nausea racks you, and fears grip you like an icy hand around your throat. Suddenly you are back once more in a dark corridor, in your own era, in the citadel of Spyte. Before you, seated at the table, is Myorg of Farantar.
Again, everyone still has free slots on them at the moment (assuming the Sage doesn't hang on to his old bow as well), so I won't wait to vote on who's the one carrying the statuette, especially since...
Myorg leaps up in surprise and joy. 'You have done it!' he shrieks insanely. 'I cannot believe it - I am free at last - free!' At this point his voice rises to a crescendo of madness, his eyes wild and staring. Then he calms down, and says tensely: 'Well, what are you waiting for! Put the statuette into the pattern. Go on, hurry!' Beside you on the floor is a strange pattern of pentacles and arcane symbols. At its centre is a small circle of silver into which the statuette will fit perfectly.

Will you put the statuette in the circle or head down the corridor towards the door at the other end which you can now see, ignoring Myorg?
...we might not be keeping it for long.

Do we complete our mini-quest as planned?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Yes, free the madman.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I hope imprisoning this guy wasn't a Magi plot to have heroes perform a quest for them. I also hope he'll heal us (otherwise, Pepito should probably eat the leftover herbs and spam sustainable heals each paragraph).

Free him.
Last edited by Starmaker on Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, I drop the bow and take both it and the arrows.

Free the guy.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You place the statuette in its place. Instantly there is a flash of bright white light, and the pattern, the statuette and much of your hair disappear into incandescence. Moments later, nothing is left to mark their presence (save your burnt hair!). Myorg howls exultantly, 'Free - at last, free to avenge myself on the Magi!' Abruptly, he stops in mid-rant. 'Wait, what is happening?' he says. You notice him stagger, and his skin begins to tighten across his skull. His hair is visibly whitening. 'I had not known my imprisonment had been for so long!' he cries. 'I have long outlived my time and now I am paying the price! No! Help me!' he moans. But there is nothing you can do. His hair is lengthening visibly. Even his clothes begin to decay before your eyes. His flesh begins to suppurate and split, shrivelling horribly. He sinks to his knees, barely able to speak. In a hoarse whisper he croaks, 'Even at the end then, the Magi have crushed me. But I know you seek their doom. Avenge me - I lay this death-command upon you. But I will aid you. All the power that was mine when I mastered the way of the wizard shall now be yours. As I die my strength will pass to you. So have I spoken!' He slumps forward, his eyes melting in their sockets. Hundreds of maggots writhe across his body, feeding ravenously, devouring his substance. His breath wheezes with pain until even his lungs have been consumed.

Suddenly you are struck by some force, as if you had run into a wall full-tilt. Power surges through you. Myorg's words were true and he has bequeathed you his strength. Each party member receives +5 to Endurance. A Warrior also gets +1 to all damage rolls, a Sage +1 to all healing rolls, a Trickster +1 to Awareness, and an Enchanter +1 to Psychic Ability. The maggots still writhe upon the body of Myorg until nothing is left. Then they begin to form cocoons, and moments later a thousand butterflies spring forth from the organic mire that was once Myorg. Colours, rich and varied like the rainbow, fill your eyes in a blaze of glory. A sweet smell lifts your soul, and they flutter away out of sight. After a moment's reflection you press on. The quest beckons. You go through the door at the far end of the corridor.
I sure hope his magic also restored our burnt hair, since I don't think any of the heroes look that great with bald heads.

Either way, though, awesome upgrade, especially for the Sage, who can now heal without any fear of losing END! We certainly need lots of it after that last fight!
The door opens onto a staircase that leads upwards. It is long and winding and, as you near the top, windows appear on either side. They look out onto the night sky of Spyte. You cannot help but notice that the stars of the Five Magi are in conjunction. Fear grips your soul as you realise midnight is less than an hour away. Feverishly, you drive yourself onwards - there is little time! Eventually, the stairs level out.
You step out into a huge circular chamber, fashioned from large blocks of dressed stone. There are five doors set into its walls all around, save for the way you have entered. Each is marked with the astrological symbols of one of the shooting stars of the True Magi, and adorned in patterns and sigils in appropriate colours - red for Red Death, blue for Blue Moon, white for White Light, sickly green for Plague Star, and gold for Gift Star. In the centre of the room a circular block of gleaming steel has been set, almost two metres in diameter. At its centre is a large irregular hole that looks like a huge keyhole.

Which door will you go through? The red door, the door of Red Death? The blue door of Blue Moon? The green door of Plague Star? The gold door of Gift Star? The white door of White Light? Alternatively, if you have a homunculus with you and wish to consult it, turn to 82.

We have the homunculus.
You take out the vial containing the homunculus you found while on Myorg's quest. 'Ah, noble and munificent lord, wondrous purveyor of sublime majesty, your face shines with beauty beyond compare, the jewel of the sky cannot match your divine refulgence, may your ...'

'Shut up, wretch!' you cry, exasperated. 'Tell about these doors and what lie beyond them.'

'Hmm,' muses the homunculus, 'I know what lies beyond each, but I am bound by certain laws to reveal the contents of only one. If you agree to release me from this watery cage afterwards, I shall enlighten you, O marvellous ones. How say you?'

If you agree to his terms, turn to 311. If you do not, turn to 189.
DO we agree?

Adventure Sheets:

WARRIOR:
NAME: Dame Caecilia Wither-Stoat

Battle Order: 1

Fighting Prowess: 12
Endurance: 13/50
Damage: 2 Dice +3

*Extra Notes: Takes no FP/damage penalty when fighting unarmed, +1 Armour Rating from Potentiation on top of normal armour bonus

Items:
1 Sword
2 Sword
3 Plate Armour (Armour Rating four)
4 Money pouch (empty)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7-10 Empty slot
TRICKSTER:
NAME: Benedict of the Crimson Spires, Honourable Duelist

Battle Order: 2

Fighting Prowess: 10 (+3 from Blood Sword)
Awareness: 9
Endurance: 28/42
Damage: 4 Dice +1 (+2d6 Damage from Blood Sword)

Items:
1 Blood Sword (+3 FP, +2d6 Damage)
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Bow
5 Quiver (5 arrows)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 Book (looted from crystalized corpse) - turn to 493 if read
9 Healing herbs (+2d6 END)
10 Empty Slot
SAGE:
NAME: "Pepito" Cascadero, Master of the Mystic Way

Battle Order: 3

Fighting Prowess: 8 (+1 from magic gold ring)
Psychic Ability: 8
Awareness: 7
Endurance: 12/36
Damage: 2 Dice +1

Items:
1 Quarterstaff
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Magic Bow (+1 FP when using Archery)
5 Enameled Quiver (5 magic arrows - does 1d6 +3 damage)
6 Quiver (6 arrows)
7 Potion of Diminution
8 Homunculus in a Bottle
9 Magic Gold Ring (+1 FP)
10 Empty Slot
ENCHANTER:
NAME: Enchanter Reed, Ninth of the Inverted Tower

Battle Order: 4

Fighting Prowess: 1
Psychic Ability: 15
Endurance: 17/36
Damage: 1 Die +3

Items:
1 Sword
3 Money Pouch (empty)
4 Quiver (6 arrows)
5 Potion of Diminution
6 Potion of Diminution
7-10 Empty Slot
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, Pepito lives and dies by his fabulous hair.

This is fucking awesome. I spend 11 EP on healing. If I roll a 1 it goes back to me, and I wait until next chance I get to repeat this plan. If I roll higher than a 1 I spend the first 10 back on getting myself back up to the double digits. After that the remainder goes to the Warrior until I get her back up to at least 30 EP. After that any remainder goes back to me (Enchanter and Trickster--in that order--will get any excess this time and/or be first priority the next chance I get to heal.)

I think we should agree since we can probably get another door answered by a Faityn or something. And having 1 or 2 non-blind choices will make this a lot easier.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Agree.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

We've become bald and achieved ultimate strength? Hmm...
Let's hear about the Gift door!
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Healing roll = 1! :/

At least Pepito gets back the END he spent.
'A wise decision, great one,' he prates, 'but that is only to be expected when dealing with such an exalted mind as your own! Such enlightened lord of creation, such astounding intellect, such ...'

'Enough!' you bellow.

'Forgive me, lord,' replies the homunculus meekly. 'About which door does the great one wish to be illuminated?'

If you wish to learn about the red door, the door of Red Death, turn to 356. If you wish to hear about the blue door, the door of Blue Moon, turn to 261. If you want to hear about the white door, the door of White Light, turn to 66. If you want to hear about the Plague Star door, turn to 231. If you want to learn about the Gift Star door, turn to 455.
We already have one vote from Shiritai for Gift Star's door. Do the others agree?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Yeah, potential seems high.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Gift door.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

'The chambers of Gift Star,' squeaks the homunculus. 'A place of random happenings and pure chance. There are three doors. The left-hand door leads to a left-hand blessing. The right-hand door leads to an encounter with chance. The other door leads to an Oracle, of great value if you can pay the price. Beyond these is the guardian.' He makes a grimace of disgust at the mention of the guardian. You ask for more information, but he replies: 'I cannot say more, save that you must destroy it to achieve your quest.'
He sounds cryptic enough to be an Oracle.
'Well, omnipotent one, I have performed as we agreed. Now release me!'

You remove the lid of the bottle and the little creature flutters upwards and away.

'Goodbye, you peasant scum,' it shrieks. 'May you rot in hell, you mound of walking filth!'

Faithless creature, you muse. You hurl stones at it as it flies away.

Cross the homunculus off your Character Sheet, turn to 119 and choose again.
Hell? Pfft, we've already been there and we walked right out of it again under Death's nose!
Which door will you go through now? The red door, the door of Red Death? The blue door of Blue Moon? The green door of Plague Star? The gold door of Gift Star? The white door of White Light? Alternatively, if you have a homunculus with you and wish to consult it (if you have not done so already), turn to 82. However, if you have all five rods, coloured blue, red, white, green and gold, turn to 541.
The mention of 5 rods seem to imply that we need to go through all of them. Which do we try first?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Crap.

Gift Star.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Yeah, let's hit the one we have a hint for.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Thirded.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You approach the door marked with the Gift Star symbols. Gift Star denotes luck, both good and bad, and the power of the Oracle.

If you have a gold rod, turn to 259. Otherwise, you try the handle and the door opens easily - turn to 266.
Nope.
You step through the door into a corridor of clean grey stone. The floor is covered with a red carpet edged with gold. If you want to go down the corridor, turn to 398. If you want to head back to the large chamber and choose another door, turn to 119.
Since I suspect we'd need to go through all the doors, there's not much point in turning back.
You walk forward. Suddenly the ground opens beneath you and a section of carpet and floor gives way - a pit! Roll one Die. On a one, three or five, turn to 463. On a two, four or six, turn to 545.
Die roll = 4.
By a stroke of remarkable good luck you manage to grab the lip of the pit before falling in. Below you, you see that the floor of the pit is lined with vicious steel spikes. In any case, you haul yourself out and press on. The corridor ends soon after with three doors: one directly ahead, one to the left and one to the right. They are all of wood, featureless and unmarked. Which door will you go through? The one directly ahead, the one on your right or the one on your left?
Classic gamebook direction choice! At least thanks to the homunculus' clues, this isn't a completely blind random choice.....

Which way?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Left, but wait on Pepito to heal.