[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 26 - Crypt of the Sorcerer

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 26 - Crypt of the Sorcerer

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Cut the sack.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Vote registered, Dirk the Impaler will stop and cut down the sack.

As you approach the sack, you suddenly hear a wailing scream. Swinging down on a vine attached to a nearby tree is a huge hair-covered humanoid wearing little more than an animal-hide loincloth and carrying a large bone club. The Ape Man crashes into you and knocks you off your horse. Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, turn to 83. If you are Unlucky, turn to 219.

The Luck roll yielded a 3, meaning that Dirk the Impaler was Lucky. :D

You just manage to hold on to your sword as you fall, and are immediately locked in combat.

APE MAN SKILL 8 STAMINA 7

After three Attack Rounds, turn to 254.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The fight:
[spoiler]Round 1: Ape Man Attack Strength: 13, Player Attack Strength: 25
Ape Man Stamina: 5, Player Stamina: 24
Round 2: Ape Man Attack Strength: 11, Player Attack Strength: 23
Ape Man Stamina: 3, Player Stamina: 24
Round 3: Ape Man Attack Strength: 15, Player Attack Strength: 23
Ape Man Stamina: 1, Player Stamina: 24[/spoiler]

The three Attack Rounds were all flawless, as expected.

Symm at least manages to land a blow on the Ape Man without fear of injuring you. He plunges his dagger into the Ape Man’s neck and you watch it slump to the ground, a coarse gurgling sound coming from its throat. Symm then cuts down the leather sack and inside finds some polished stones which you may take, if you wish, before riding on. Turn to 37.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

After crossing Catfish River, you soon leave Darkwood Forest behind. The Pagan Plain stretches out before you and you wonder whether the graveyard is nearer Mirewater or nearer Stonebridge. If you wish to ride towards Mirewater, turn to 95. If you wish to ride towards Stonebridge, turn to 142.

Please vote on where to ride and whether to take the polished stones from the leather sack before 9:00 AM PDT or a 3-vote majority is reached on where to go next to guarantee that they will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Dirk the Impaler
SKILL: 12 Initial Skill = 12
STAMINA: 24 Initial Stamina = 24
LUCK: 9 Initial Luck = 12
NOTES:
Dabbed self with Chameleonite blood
Memorized the rhyme: To go beyond A granite door, Press the numbers One eight four.
A Gargantis purportedly dwells in the Howling Tunnels of the Western Flatlands
Immune to any fire attacks
Call out “Suma 11” to summon Suma for aid
TREASURE:
7 Gold Pieces
EQUIPMENT:
Sword
Leather Armour
Backpack
Healing Potion (five tots, +6 STAMINA per tot)
Skull Ring
Moon Ring
Cracked Silver Mirror
Silver Rod with the Inscription “37”
Candle
Crystal of Sanity
Gargantis Scroll
Defender Shield (+1 Attack Strength)
Gold Ring with Iridescent Jewel
Razaak’s Sword (+1 Attack Strength)
Copper Bracelet
Piece of Faded Parchment with the Number “66”
Polished Stones?
RESURRECTIONS: 3[/spoiler]
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

We should find the graveyard before we go to Stonebridge, right? Go towards Mirewater. And yes, this being an Ian Livingstone book, take the Ape Man's polished stones, club and loincloth too if possible.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Ride into Stonebridge. Without a guide, finding the graveyard isn't happening.

Take the stones.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Take stones, and I seem to remember Stonebridge from another book so go there again.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Take the stones. I'd be in favor of Mirewater, but I don't want to start a tie.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes tallied, Dirk the Impaler will go towards Stonebridge, as it won over going towards Mirewater by a 2-1 vote. He will also take the polished stones.

The day passes and it is twilight when Stonebridge comes into view. If you wish to camp outside Stonebridge, turn to 92. If you would rather give up your search for the graveyard and ride into Stonebridge, turn to 316.

Please vote before 6:00 PM PDT to guarantee that it will be counted.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Camp outside Stonebridge.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Definitely don't give up the search for the graveyard. Camp outside Stonebridge.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I don't want to outside at night with monsters around, but then I really don't want to give up on graveyard finding, so camp I guess.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Go into Stonebridge.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes counted, Dirk the Impaler will camp outside Stonebridge, since that vote won over going into Stonebridge by a 3-1 vote.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Although you are not disturbed during the night, an Elvin flies silently into the camp and steals three items from your backpack (deduct three items from your Equipment List). Without being detected, the mischievous little creature flies off with his loot, and you discover the inexplicable theft in the morning. Bemused, you set off towards Stonebridge. Within an hour, you reach a bridge which crosses a clear stream and leads you into Stonebridge. You recognize a couple of the Dwarfs walking along the street and ask them where you might find Borri. ‘In the stable at the other end of the village,’ comes the reply in unison. You dismount and walk your tired horses through the village, nodding to a few more Dwarfs whom you recognize. You knock on the stable door and are greeted by a smiling Dwarf with chubby red check and a long beard. ‘Hello!’ he says cheerfully. ‘My name is Borri and you must be Yaztromo’s friends. I’ll take care of your horses while you help yourselves to a hearty breakfast – there’s plenty for everybody. Come in and sit down.’ You enter the stable and eat until you feel as though you are bursting. Add 2 STAMINA points. ‘When you have relaxed for a while, come out to the back and I’ll show you something special. Just give me a few minutes to get it ready. Yaztromo told me all about your quest and at least I’ll be able to put my invention to the test!’ Borri says enthusiastically. Ten minutes later, your curiosity gets the better of you and you walk outside. Turn to 353.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Outside in the yard, you see the strangest sight of your life. A huge balloon, as tall as Yaztromo’s tower, is being filled by Borri with hot air from a fire. A group of Dwarfs is holding on to the ropes to keep the balloon from floating away into the sky. ‘This is my invention,’ shouts Borri excitedly over the crackling of the fire. ‘It’s called a hot-air balloon. It can carry people great distances through the skies in a basket hanging from the balloon. You can soar through the air across mountains and lakes, driven on by air currents and the wind. Now, I believe we must try to find the Gargantis beast. So, if you would like to climb aboard, we’ll take to the skies. And if you have any idea which way we should go, you should tell me now. The wind is blowing in a south-easterly direction, so I hope you don’t want to go west!’

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

You are full of wonder at this amazing balloon and you climb quickly into the basket. Borri gives the order for the Dwarfs to release the holding ropes, and the balloon rises smoothly and swiftly upwards. At first you feel nervous, but soon the beautiful view and the tranquillity make you relax, and you begin to enjoy the silent journey. You look down at the tiny tree-tops of Darkwood Forest and think about the dangers that lie hidden beneath them. ‘Well?’ asks Borri. ‘Where do you want to go?’ Will you reply:

The Forest of Spiders? Turn to 34
The Western Flatlands? Turn to 135
The Plain of Bronze? Turn to 210

Please vote on which three items are lost to the Elvin and the balloon’s destination before 9:00 AM PDT or a 3-vote majority on the destination is reached to guarantee that it will be counted.

Adventure Sheet:
LUCK: 9 Initial Luck = 12
NOTES:
Memorized the rhyme: To go beyond A granite door, Press the numbers One eight four.
TREASURE:
7 Gold Pieces
EQUIPMENT:
Sword
Leather Armour
Backpack
Skull Ring
Moon Ring
Cracked Silver Mirror
Candle
Crystal of Sanity
Gargantis Scroll
Copper Bracelet
Polished Stones
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Lose the normal sword, the copper bracelet, and the moon ring.

Fly to the Western Flatlands.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Agreed on all counts.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Dirk the Impaler will head to the Western Flatlands. He will also lose the normal sword, the copper bracelet, and the moon ring to the Elvin.

After leaving Darkwood Forest behind, you pass over the western edge of Moonstone Hills where two days previously you had made your dangerous trek. The Forest of Spiders soon appears, looking much the same as Darkwood Forest, and you know that similar unseen dangers are lurking below. Once past the forest, the balloon carries you steadily south-east, until you drift over the southern edge of Moonstone Hills to reach the Flatlands. ‘Any idea where to land?’ asks Borri, speaking through clenched teeth that grip his old pipe. You scan the ground below, looking for any sign of a cave or tunnel entrance. Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, turn to 59. If you are Unlucky, turn to 160.

The Luck roll yielded a 7, meaning that Dirk the Impaler was Lucky. :D

You pass over a small hillock and see what appears to be the entrance to a tunnel. You call in excitement to Borri to land, and he immediately releases air from the balloon. You drop gently down until Borri tells you to hold on tight as you are about to land. The basket hits the ground with a thump and rolls over, but nobody is hurt. You are all in good spirits and begin to laugh as you try to disentangle yourselves from one another. You fold up the deflated balloon and hide it with the basket in the entrance to the tunnel. ‘Let’s hope the Gargantis beast is not just a legend,’ says Symm, ‘although I might regret having said that later!’ You draw your swords, light torches that you brought with you, and walk guardedly down the sloping tunnel. Five minutes later you arrive at a junction. If you wish to turn left, turn to 222. If you wish to turn right, turn to 90.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Adventure Sheet:
LUCK: 8 Initial Luck = 12
NOTES:
TREASURE:
7 Gold Pieces
EQUIPMENT:
Leather Armour
Backpack
Skull Ring
Cracked Silver Mirror
Candle
Crystal of Sanity
Gargantis Scroll
Polished Stones
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Left, I guess.

Also, how is he steering the balloon? If you can steer it, it's not a balloon, it's a dirigible.
Queen of Swords
Prince

I have a feeling the game is lost because we didn't find the graveyard, but sure, left is a good a direction as any.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, left is fine.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Dirk the Impaler will turn left to reject fascism.

The tunnel slopes downwards. The light is dim, coming from candles burning on top of skulls mounted on the wall at thirty-metre intervals. Your own torches burn brightly around you, but you are unable to see far down the tunnel – nor do you see the strange, jelly-like creature which is clinging to the ceiling. As you pass underneath, it drops down. Roll one die. If you roll 1-5, turn to 296. If you roll 6, turn to 166.

Important Note: I believe that having only a 1 in 6 chance of avoiding the creature is way too harsh due to the penalties of it landing on top of Dirk the Impaler. Instead of landing on our hero on a roll of 1-5, I will instead only turn to that outcome on a roll of 1-3.

Rolling the die yielded a 5, meaning that we are heading to section 166 under this change.

Symm sees the creature just in time and pushes you out of the way. The Iron-Eater falls harmlessly to the floor and you are able to walk on along the tunnel. Turn to 151.

You pass a battered iron helmet attached to the wall, with a candle burning on top of it. All the other candle holders are skulls, and you wonder why the helmet is the odd one out. If you wish to try on the helmet, turn to 197. If you would rather keep on walking, turn to 281.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Please vote on whether to keep the proposed Iron-Eater change (if not, the other outcome will be carried out) and whether to try on the helmet before 9:00 AM PDT or a 3-vote majority is reached regarding the helmet to guarantee that it will be counted.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Try on the helmet.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Yes, try on the helmet.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Helmet.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Helmet.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Votes registered, Dirk the Impaler will try on the helmet.

As soon as you place the helmet on your head, it seems to mould itself to your skull and grips it tightly. Try as you might, you are unable to take it off. You are unfortunate enough to be wearing a Helmet of Cowardice. From now on, each time you face a creature in combat, roll two dice. If the total is the same as or less than your SKILL, you will summon up enough courage to fight. If the total is greater than your SKILL, you will offer no resistance to the creature, and death will quickly follow. Lose 2 LUCK points. Regretting your foolish decision, you walk on along the tunnel. Turn to 281.

As you walk along, you do not see a small rock on the floor in front of you. Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, turn to 392. If you are Unlucky, turn to 320.

The Luck roll yielded a 6, meaning that Dirk the Impaler was Lucky. :D

You step over the rock, unknowingly avoiding a trap, and walk on. Turn to 79.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Ahead, you hear a rumbling sound, like wheels rolling over the rock floor. A figure slowly comes into view from out of the shadows, pushing a cart loaded with bones. It is an ugly, muscular creature with long arms that end in sharpened claws. It has a drooling mouth, from which long teeth protrude like tusks. On seeing you, the Cave Troll grunts, releases the cart and lumbers towards you with a raised club.

CAVE TROLL SKILL 8 STAMINA 9

The Cave Troll attacks you, but Symm (SKILL 10) and Borri (SKILL 9) can also attack the Troll. Therefore, you have three attacks against the Troll against one in return. If you win, turn to 19.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The Helm of Cowardice roll yields a 6, so Dirk the Impaler unsurprisingly summons up enough courage to fight.

The fight:
[spoiler]Round 1: Cave Troll Attack Strength: 16, Player Attack Strength: 18;
Cave Troll Attack Strength: 16, Symm Attack Strength: 20;
Cave Troll Attack Strength: 16, Borri Attack Strength: 13;
Cave Troll Stamina: 5, Player Stamina: 24
Round 2: Cave Troll Attack Strength: 18, Player Attack Strength: 21;
Cave Troll Attack Strength: 16, Symm Attack Strength: 19;
Cave Troll Attack Strength: 12, Borri Attack Strength: 17;
Cave Troll Stamina: -1, Player Stamina: 24 [/spoiler]

Dirk the Impaler manages to dispatch the Cave Troll without getting hit.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

You find a small wooden box tucked into the Troll’s clothing. If you wish to open it, turn to 188. Alternatively, you can either tip up the cart (turn to 366) or walk on, leaving the box and the cart behind (turn to 40).

Adventure Sheet:
LUCK: 5 Initial Luck = 12
NOTES:
TREASURE:
7 Gold Pieces
EQUIPMENT:
Leather Armour
Backpack
Skull Ring
Cracked Silver Mirror
Candle
Crystal of Sanity
Gargantis Scroll
Polished Stones
Helmet of Cowardice (Roll two dice before combat, player dies if total is greater than Skill)
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Open the box.