[lets play] Fighting Fantasy (Scholastic 16): Assassins of Allansia.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Dogopolis
Master

Re: [lets play] Fighting Fantasy (Scholastic 16): Assassins of Allansia.

Post by Dogopolis »

The boat man pulls out a small leather purse from his clothing and counts out 20 Gold Pieces into your hand. “That’s a fair price for a fair boat,” he says, smiling. He shakes your hand, bids you farewell, and walks back into his yard, whistling happily with his dogs following faithfully behind. If you now want to go in the general store...
I'm going to show the paragraph if you choose to approach the store now to save time
The general store is a large wooden building set back from the river some twenty metres. It has wide steps leading up to a porch where there are several wooden barrels and two rocking chairs. A glazed wooden door leads into the store itself. You bound up the steps but are stopped in your tracks when you see a “Wanted” poster on the wall by the door with your face drawn on it. Do you still want to enter the store or would you rather not risk going in, and head east on foot instead?

Finella Noland
Skill 9/9
Stamina 17/21
Luck 11/11

Potion of Strength
Provisions:9
Silver necklaces: 2
Dagger
Skeleton key (44)
2 diamonds.
32 Gold, 1 Silver
Rusty Knife
Shield of the Sentinels. (+1 Attack strength)
Astral Sword. (+1 Attack strength)
Bow and arrows
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I say enter the store anyway, as equipment is probably needed badly here.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Sure, let’s take a chance on entering the store.
Dogopolis
Master

Post by Dogopolis »

A bell rings when you open the door, and you see a curly haired man behind a counter putting canvas backpacks on a shelf. All the shelves are crammed with hats, gloves, boots, belts, water flasks, rope and general camping equipment. The floor is covered with sacks, barrels and boxes filled with bread, vegetables, grain and dried foodstuffs. A glass display case on the counter contains some interesting looking objects with runes and mysterious symbols on them. The storekeeper looks over the top of his wirerimmed spectacles, smiles and says, “Well, well, well, if it isn’t Lord Azzur’s favourite person! I recognize your face. What brings you here?”

Will you:
Reply that you don’t know what he’s talking about?
Say that you want to buy some Provisions?
Ask him if he sells Elven Boots?
Smile politely and leave the store to head east on foot?

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to say that our hero wants provisions.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Ask about the random item that popped into our head, in case it's a plot token. Elven Boots.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, elven boots are random, so ask about them.
Dogopolis
Master

Post by Dogopolis »

The storekeeper shakes his head and says, “I don’t think I’ve got a pair of Elven Boots in stock, but let me have a look, you never know.” Test Your Luck
9 is Lucky
=====================
The storekeeper rummages through all his drawers without success but finds a pair of boots under a pile of sacks on one of the top shelves. “I knew I had a pair somewhere,” he says to himself with satisfaction, dusting them off. “They’re not new, but they were made by a High Elf master boot-maker.
Look at the quality of the leather and the stitching. If you wear these, you will be able to outrun anybody. I’m loath to sell my last pair, but I’ll let you have them for 5 Gold Pieces.”

Will you:

Buy the boots...
Since we randomly asked about them and passed a Luck test I'm just going to assume we do.
==================================
You pay the storekeeper 5 Gold Pieces, pull on the new boots, and pack away your old boots. You walk outside and run a short distance and are amazed how fast you can run. You go back inside the store, where the storekeeper is waiting for you with a smile on his face. “Believe me now, do you? Before you march off in your new boots, you might like to buy some food. You look like you are very hungry. I make the best bread in the land, and stock the best cheese and tomatoes you have ever tasted. I’ll sell you a fresh loaf, a big chunk of cheese and some ripe tomatoes for just 1Gold Piece. If you need something special to put the food in, I’ll also sell you a wizard’s backpack for a bargain price of 4 Gold Pieces. It’s a rare Bag of Everything. No matter what you put in it, it will always feel as light as a feather.”

Will you:

Buy the food for 1 Gold Piece?
Buy the food and the backpack for 5 Gold Pieces?
Decline his offer?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to buy the food and the backpack.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I'm confused about whether the food counts as provisions, which we don't really need, or is it some special delicacy that'd we'd need to bribe/bypass some NPC later. Definitely buy the backpack, since it sounds like something special. Half vote for buying the food too.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Looks like we can't buy the backpack without the food, I vote to buy both.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Thaluikhain wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:53 am
Looks like we can't buy the backpack without the food.
Ooh, I misread that. Yeah, definitely buy both, then, since I want the backpack.
Dogopolis
Master

Post by Dogopolis »

After you pay him 5 Gold Pieces, the storekeeper hands you the food, which will add 4 STA MINA points when eaten. You put all your possessions into the Bag of Everything and marvel at how light it is. Combat will be easier from now on. Add 1 SKILL point. You thank the storekeeper and decide what to do next. If you want to ask him if he has heard of Garanka Vassell, turn to 229. If you want to leave the store and head east on foot, turn to 203.
Although it says it "combat will be easier", it would seem to do so by just making you generally more manoeuvrable all-round and thus a genuine SKILL bonus, which can't help us as we are at initial SKILL already.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

He already knows we're wanted, ask him about Garanka Vassell.
Dogopolis
Master

Post by Dogopolis »

SGamerz wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:09 am
I'm confused about whether the food counts as provisions, which we don't really need, or is it some special delicacy that'd we'd need to bribe/bypass some NPC later. Definitely buy the backpack, since it sounds like something special. Half vote for buying the food too.
For the purpose of this I'm thinking we have 9 "provisions" which restore 4 STAMINA and 1 "food" which restores 4 STAMINA. In effect there's no difference though unless a future paragraph specifically refers to provisions.
Dogopolis
Master

Post by Dogopolis »

The storekeeper frowns, and says solemnly, “Yes, I’ve heard of him. He paid me an unwelcome visit earlier today. He barged in, spat on the floor and made a horrible smell. Then he helped himself to my food, took an axe, some rope and didn’t pay me a penny. A disgusting human being if ever there was one. He put up the ‘Wanted’ poster on the wall outside, which, as you know, has your face displayed on it.

"When he finally spoke, he told me his name and said that if I saw you, I was to tell you I had seen him in Tall Tom’s Tavern, which is half an hour’s walk east of here. Then I was supposed to light a fire and cover it with wet leaves to make a smoke signal to let him know you were on your way, so he could ambush you. Don’t worry, that’s not going to happen. Harold Cornpepper is not in the habit of helping assassins. If you are the valiant warrior who defeated Zanbar Bone, Allansia will be forever in your debt. However, Lord Azzur will not rest until you are dead. You will need to be prepared for when you meet Vassell. Might I suggest you purchase one or two magic items from my display case?” You thank the storekeeper for his advice and decide what to do.

If you want to look at the items in the display case....
Of course we want to look at the items.
=================================================
There are four items in the display case which especially catch your eye. A gold bracelet etched with a sun symbol, a runic scroll, a silver ring with a ruby centre stone and a brass flute. “I see you’ve got your eye on a couple of things,” the storekeeper says, eagerly rubbing his hands together. “Let me tell you about them. The Bracelet of Power will increase your fighting ability (add 3 SKILL points). The Scroll of Invisibility will enable you to turn invisible for a minute. Just hold the scroll out in front of you and utter the words ‘Now you see me, now you don’t.’ The Ring of Healing will restore your health (add 6 STAMINA points). The Magic Flute always plays the same song no matter what notes you play, but I don’t know what it is. Each item costs 5 Gold Pieces or you can have all four for 15 Gold Pieces. Interested?” If you want to buy one or more of the items, pay the storekeeper the amount and make a note of your purchases. You thank him for his help and leave the store to head east in pursuit of Garanka Vassell.
=================================================
You set off at a brisk pace, following a well-worn path along the riverbank. Up ahead you see a small man lying on the ground, his back propped up against a tree and his arms folded across his chest. He’s wearing a dark green tunic and brown leggings which are tucked into his green leather boots. A floppy green felt hat is pulled down low over his face. He is fast asleep and snoring loudly. Do you want to wake him up to speak to him or would you rather keep heading east?

So again although the shopkeeper says the bracelet increases your "fighting ability" I'm choosing to interpret that as being a side effect of general SKILL increase as a +3 Attack strength item is too OP. If you choose to buy it, you don't need to wear it right away, but when you do it will restore up to 3 SKILL points. Please indicate which, if any, items you want to buy and also whether to disturb the sleeper.
Luck 11/11

Potion of Strength
Provisions:9
Silver necklaces: 2
Dagger
Skeleton key (44)
2 diamonds.
7 Gold, 1 Silver
Rusty Knife
Shield of the Sentinels. (+1 Attack strength)
Astral Sword. (+1 Attack strength)
Bow and arrows
Food (+4 Stamina)
Bag of Holding
Elven Boots
Bracelet of Power (+3 SKILL when used)
Healing ring (+6 stamina)
Scroll of Invisibility
Magic Flute
Last edited by Dogopolis on Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to buy all four items and to keep heading east.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Buy all four, and wake the person up.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Buy all the things!
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Er, we seem to have 7 gold and need 15 to buy everything, unless I'm missing something. I'd recommend the scroll of invisibility if we can only buy one, and everything if I have missed something and we can have all.

And wake random person.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Going back to the top of the page and subtracting our purchases, we should have 22 Gold left before the purchases and 7 Gold afterwards. I think the latest post shows the purchases already made.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh right, that explains it.
Dogopolis
Master

Post by Dogopolis »

JourneymanN00b wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:17 am
Going back to the top of the page and subtracting our purchases, we should have 22 Gold left before the purchases and 7 Gold afterwards. I think the latest post shows the purchases already made.
Yeah, Sorry. I edited after the first 2 requests to buy everything. Kind of forgot what stage that post was at, sorry for the confusion.