Zero Buzz on 5E...Is It Dead Out The Gate?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Sakuya Izayoi
Knight

Post by Sakuya Izayoi »

No magic items but a whole boatload of prostitute charts? Sounds at least somewhat feasible.
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

Ferret wrote:Guy on Something Awful had this summary of topics from the Alpha DMG:
secret DMG is from 07/30, this turd is so fresh the flies haven't showed up yet. no magic items sadly.

highlights:
costs to construct building
costs for hirelings
downtime activites (most of which have a 20% chance of going to jail for 5d6 days)
domains (kingdom builder rules)
using miniatures!!!
travel hazards
diseases
poisons
madness
traps
puzzles
modifying races
creating new races
monsters as characters
modifying classes

optional rules:
training to level up
trading in magic items
flanking
attacking cover
morale
action points
called shots
alternate skill systems (13th age backgrounds are an option)
vitality
spell points
skill points
single strike (1 attack roll, cumulative damage)
second wind
rest variants
proficiency dice
massive damage
marking
facing
cleaving through the horde
automatic success
chases
cantrip slots
action points (again?)
group initiative
weapon speed
passive initiative
gestalt characters
Anybody seen a copy? It hasn't shown up on /tg/ as far as I've seen.
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

Actually the same guy posted some excerpts. The monsters-as-PC's stuff is 100% handwavey.

Lemme image leach real quick....

So, that's awesome.

Bonus content:

Based on those excerpts, though, content looks legit.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

So having seen the rest of the system we can conclude that it's still not good. Cool.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

That "Monsters as characters" shit is so fucking half-assed. They should be embarrassed.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
brized
Journeyman

Post by brized »

Shouldn't "monsters as characters" be in the...Monster Manual? And have some rules rather than the loosest of guidelines?
Tumbling Down wrote:
deaddmwalking wrote:I'm really tempted to stat up a 'Shadzar' for my game, now.
An admirable sentiment but someone beat you to it.
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

@ Monsters as Characters:
Giant punt.
"Hey, yeah, you can totally do that. And when it gets all fucked up, the only person you can blame is your DM ... after all, we did give him the guidelines. :thumb: "
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

List selectively omitted to emphasize certain items.
Ferret wrote: optional rules:
training to level up
trading in magic items
action points
called shots
alternate skill systems (13th age backgrounds are an option)
spell points
skill points
second wind
rest variants
marking
facing
cleaving through the horde
automatic success
weapon speed
gestalt characters
So this is what became of that modularity promise. Remember that? Or were the devs just joking about that as well? But seriously, look at this shit. Fucking look at this HORSESHIT. Are the 5E D&D developers completely devoid of shame? No one on the staff had the sense to tell Mike Mearls 'dude, slobbering the knobs of grognards is one thing, but offering 4Erries rhetorical rimjobs is like being in a threesome with the screenwriter and Best Boy?' This is the most sickening, most blatant pandering I've ever seen. They'll do pretty much anything to get people to like their piece of shit system.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

There's enough goontalk added to that ToC that I'm pretty sure that even if they have a real early draft to look at that their transcriptions are pretty much worthless. The fact that they decided to write "alternate skill systems (13th age backgrounds are an option)" instead of whatever the fuck the draft they were working with actually said means that when they write shit like "gestalt characters" we have no way of knowing if it actually says that or they are just editorializing over a piece that's actually about AD&D style multiclassing or something. And that is of course assuming that they have any advance text at all and aren't just making a complete fabrication.

Bottom line is that we have every reason to believe that the DMG is going to be half assed and shitty. But the Something Awful "leak" isn't one of those reasons.

-Username17
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Is 5E D&D going to use the resistance + can't guarantee magic weapons cop-out to the complaint of 'a bunch of goblins with slings can kill an elder dragon?' Because that's ineffably lame.

Also, I've noticed that in most discussions of 5E D&D people just pretty much assume that feats are an available option. I guess we're back to the bad old days of 2E D&D and tribal knowledge where people are all 'I know the rules say this, but everyone plays it like this'.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Great success! Exactly what was predicted.
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Also, I've noticed that in most discussions of 5E D&D people just pretty much assume that feats are an available option. I guess we're back to the bad old days of 2E D&D and tribal knowledge where people are all 'I know the rules say this, but everyone plays it like this'.
Similar to how everyone ignores the multi-classing xp penalty in 3.x? Or how everyone ignores the medium creatures with reach weapons can't attack on diagonals (since 2 squares is 15 ft) in pathfinder? Or how the 4e rules say something, but nobody plays 4e?
Last edited by ishy on Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

So playing as monsters went from over 200 pages in Savage Species to a 400 word punt in a leaked DMG? That is pretty cool.

:/

The gestalt rules are probably another worthless punt as well.
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

I expect Gestalt will be "figure it up just like regular multiclassing, but only count as one level and take the best hit die!"

So Wizard|Fighter would be different from Fighter|Wizard. And Gestalt will totally own bones if compared to single classed characters.

But it's not like Multiclassing was ever anything less than generically BETTER than single classing.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

So I'm watching the Chris Perkins/Penny Arcade Acquisitions Inc D&D 5e game from PAX Prime.

Early in the game, after the Fighter watches the Bard/Rogue chuck a brace of daggers at multiple targets and get Sneak Attack off on both with it's resultant pile of damage, he exclaims:

"What did you roll, a Bard?! Why the hell am I playing a fighter like a chump!?"

5th edition, folks.

(right around the 1 hr mark, for those of you who'd like to see yourselves)
Amalie Gaston
NPC

Post by Amalie Gaston »

Ferret wrote:Early in the game, after the Fighter watches the Bard/Rogue chuck a brace of daggers at multiple targets and get Sneak Attack off on both with it's resultant pile of damage, he exclaims:
How did the bard/rogue get sneak attack against multiple targets in one turn? The rules for sneak attack explicitly say it only applies once per round.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Well, rules is such a hard turn, he probably used them more like guidelines.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Ferret wrote: (right around the 1 hr mark, for those of you who'd like to see yourselves)
Specifically 1:02:24 sec mark, least according to this video. According to the guy in the video, he can only Sneak attack 8-9 times??! Assuming he wasn't joking with that phrase (mentions it at the 1:02:35second mark), Sneak Attack is a Daily resource now!? As if 5th edition needs "More" reasons to die.

Why do nerdy "celebs" unbashingly support a game, even when/if its bad? I get it by social courtesy, and havin fun in spite of the game, not going to do that. However will do so in after the fact, despite they probably don't even play it after that one occasion. Like CoD Reviews, one could say they're getting paid to do it, but I question if Wizards & like would have the money willing to do that...
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Aryxbez wrote:Why do nerdy "celebs" unbashingly support a game, even when/if its bad? I get it by social courtesy, and havin fun in spite of the game, not going to do that. However will do so in after the fact, despite they probably don't even play it after that one occasion. Like CoD Reviews, one could say they're getting paid to do it, but I question if Wizards & like would have the money willing to do that...
Probably because they don't realize it is bad. They (like most people) probably haven't even read all the rules. And interacting with your fans by showing them you have fun doing other things, can be great for your career.

The better question is, why do you expect "celebs" to be in-depth critics of complex subjects.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Because by the time you're playing a game, you're committed. At that point, complaining about it will not maximize your happiness.
Also, many celebrities are actors, and buy premises professionally.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

Rothfuss is pretty clearly joking about the 8-9 times per day comment. He also only got sneak attack on one of the attacks in the brace of thrown daggers - his damage was something like 27 and 7. (Also, I checked Rothfuss' character sheet, he's playing a Rogue with the perform skill; not a Bard.)

They used the playtest crit rule, possibly because when they started these games they were using the playtest packets, possibly because Perkins got confused about what the official rules were, possibly because the new crit rules are kind balls and he was just winging something he liked better.

I'm probably going to steal his max+1die rule. Or maybe do max+normal dice just to keep people from being confused.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

What is wrong with the "new" crit rules? 20 = crit = double damage seems fine (and more importantly fast) enough.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

The problem with 20's equalling instant double damage in 5e is that it completely fucks the games damage output when combined with bounded accuracy, particularly in the first 6 levels of the game. When you only give monsters attack bonuses of +2 or 3 and you give players AC scores that start at ~18-20 and go up then monsters only hit you at all on the last few numbers on the RNG. While the chance for a crit is just 5% of all attacks the chance for a hitting attack to be a crit is about 1 in 3. Which is an enormous damage variance. Read any 5e play report and I can guarantee that 50% of deaths will be caused by crits.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

that goes back to 5e having some nice bits but doesn't work as a whole.

In the starter games I also have to see anything with an attack mod below +4. shit feels retarded. already had a "I'm a useless fighter, can't hit for shit, can't take hits, wtf" moment from another player because enemies are at +4 attack, ac 14, ~15hp at level one and two. and since you only bloat your hit point you don't feel like you get better at all. hilarious.