Moments when a piece of entertainment completely lost you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Korgan0 wrote:The idea is that
it represents some program that Moriarty can use to break into basically any computer system, which it appears he's done after doing a bunch of Dastardly Things, when instead he just bribed and threatened people.
Yeah, that's impos- well, actually it is possible, but the amount of blackmail, gunplay, bribery, etc. involved in setting it up would be truly outlandish. And it would need to have been set up in the eighties or earlier.
Last edited by name_here on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Prak_Anima wrote:I'm going into a movie completely disinterested. We (the school paper) got an invitation to a screening of Beautiful Creatures.
The lead chick in that sounds like Nicolas Cage to me.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The Dark Caster we see most (after the one who's pretending to not be so he can protect Lena) looks like my ex. The scene where she shows up in what is essentially a lace catsuit was... uncomfortable.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Whaddaya talkin' about? Lace catsuits rock, man.
Half asleep upon my knee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Certainly. When the person in them reminds you of an ex you're trying to forget (for many reasons), not so much...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

That's why I don't find redheads attractive anymore. Every woman I've dated since then have had black hair except for one blonde.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Prak_Anima wrote:Certainly. When the person in them reminds you of an ex you're trying to forget (for many reasons), not so much...
Ah, must've missed the "ex-GF" part. All I saw was "lace catsuit" and I blanked on the rest of the post because I was thinking about Pat Schroeder wearing one.
Half asleep upon my knee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

...the politician?

MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

So, I watch NCIS: LA for a weekly dose of testosterone and Linda Hunt awesomeness.

It's a Shane Brennan show, so yeah, it's chock-full of American military wanking, jingoism, anti-intellectualism and plain racism. Whatever, I don't watch it for the rational discourse.

Except that as of this week, I'm done watching the crap filler episodes. I'll still watch the story arcs episodes, but I've had enough of the formulaic crap. I mean, sure, it's a procedural, but it's really come down to "Leftists/Muslims/Mexicans do a terrorist/murder/espionnage plot and are stopped by G/Sam/Kensi going undercover" over and over again.

So yeah... even a dumb action/propaganda show needs decent writers.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

NCIS: LA is a garbage TV show. It's the CSI: Miami version of NCIS.

What really lost me was the pilot or early episodes, where you hear that the one young guy supposedly was involved in the cold war. Then again, it was years since I saw it. But yeah, all the people in it do nothing for me.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I still love SMBC and all, but is it just me or is the comic's attempt at creating a straw dystopia becoming increasingly convoluted and obnoxious?

I mean, there's setting up a premise and then letting it blossom outwards organically. And then there's continually micromanaging and contriving it to force a joke.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

Yeah, the latest one was just... really I couldn't tell what it was even going for. It's probably his least successful "A bunch of idiots are gathered together and are forced by circumstances to redevelop all science" too, for that matter.
-JM
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Disagree. I thought the Lunar Anarchy tirade was a funny shaggy dog story. It didn't really go anywhere, but it didn't have to as it had a fairly decent punchline density all the way through its meanderings. Shaggy dog stories don't have to go anywhere, it's kind of the point that they don't.

-Username17
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

FrankTrollman wrote:I thought the Lunar Anarchy tirade was a funny shaggy dog story. It didn't really go anywhere, but it didn't have to as it had a fairly decent punchline density all the way through its meanderings.
Hey, I like a good Shaggy Dog story, but I also feel that a Shaggy Dog Story should either lay out all of its weirdness/plot contrivances out at the beginning of the joke and/or dump it out near the end of the story. SDSes work because the narrative flows organically all of the way to the end For Want of a Nail style.

When the author has to repeatedly intrude in the story to nudge it the direction that they want, it loses the pacing plus climax subversion that good SDSes have. The comic could have worked if it cut things off right near the corporate sponsorship joke, but by continuing to keep things rolling past that it felt less like a SDS and more like a Seltzer and Friedberg movie.

One Froggy Evening is pretty much the apex of the SDS. And a gag where the original owner after several decades rediscovered the frog along with a new sap could be funny... if it occurred near the end of the cartoon. Several more scenes in which the original elderly owner along with his new apprentice trying to re-exhibit the frog would have made the story functionally weaker -- regardless of the quality of the gags.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Let me tell ya, Erfworld has felt like a Shaggy Dog story. Rob's managed to average just under 1 page a week for the last three and a half years since Book 2 started, and we still haven't finished the battle for Jetstone's capital. It's one thing to bring in new rules (exploding green dwagons), it's another to contradict explicit ones by having a battle bear armed with only a paralyzed caster (who can apparently cast with his face, unless reanimating that doll is only spending juice?) NOT get attacked by a fistful of unled dwagons as he walks by in plain sight.

And I know the forum will counter any and all complaints with "it's a free webcomic," despite the fact that it's supposed to be his source of income.

Of course, complaints of tardiness are nothing in comparison to the guy for Dresden Codak (three months since his last update?). That guy publicly announced his entry into making the comic his full-time job and sole source of income starting on X, and the moment that day started, he announces a two-month vacation. Hell, it seems that he's riding his old work even harder than the VG Cats guy.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

I dunno, isn't Piro from Megatokyo still up there on tardiness? Dude goes 'professional' so he can 'focus entirely on the comic' and... generally produces nothing. And fans lapped it up.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I stopped reading Megatokyo when the last vestiges of the inspiration for Largo left. If I wanted to read about a mopey, nerdy, effeminate guy who has no clue how to talk to women, I'd keep a diary.

erik
King

Post by erik »

virgil wrote: Of course, complaints of tardiness are nothing in comparison to the guy for Dresden Codak (three months since his last update?). That guy publicly announced his entry into making the comic his full-time job and sole source of income starting on X, and the moment that day started, he announces a two-month vacation. Hell, it seems that he's riding his old work even harder than the VG Cats guy.
What intrigues me is that on his art blog he mentions that if his kickstarter were to reach $800,000 (goal was $30,000) then he could hire a partner/assistant to help put out bi-weekly webcomics. For a year.

Graciously assuming cuts to kickstarter and stretch goal expenses come out to $300,000 that still leaves half a million bucks to put out 26 webcomics in 365 days. I just cannot swallow that math. His art is pretty but, um. Yea.

If I had piles of disposable income I likely would get in on the $45 level of the kickstarter to pay 60 bucks for delivery of a high-production quality book of his webcomic art. But I do not. Instead I shoe away 20 bucks here or there to get legos for my kids and to occasionally dine out with my wife instead.

[edit:]

Whups, Dreden Codak just updated and now at $700k he will update weekly for a year. It's still a pretty hefty cost estimate, but I can't deny it is a move in the right direction. Good on Mr. Diaz.
Last edited by erik on Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

Hellboy: Blood and Iron lost me at that end. I was entertained through most of it, but the ending? When everyone failed at the end, all of a sudden they all got super powers (or put down the idiot ball for a few seconds) and won at the last minute. To the point where it didn't make any goddamn sense.
the part where Abe Sapien is getting tortured, and all of a sudden he breaks free. Why didn't he fucking do that at the beginning before the harpies were carving him up? If I'm making a noob mistake because I haven't read any of the graphic novels, correct me. Does Abe Sapien get stronger as he's injured or something? Is that a thing he can do? Because if not, it doesn't make any goddamn sense why he got better so quick.

Although I like how the vampire was beaten by The Professor, and how the priest ended up not having enough faith and falling.
So final conclusion: Lots of things that I found entertaining, but kind of falls apart in act 3 with a semi-good climax.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Meikle641 wrote:NCIS: LA is a garbage TV show. It's the CSI: Miami version of NCIS.
You shut your whore mouth, CSI: Sunglasses is the best one. Mostly because of the joke that came out of the sunglasses & The Who routine.

And honestly, all flavours of NCIS are right wing, pro-Israel, pro-military-intervention, pro-Patriot-Act, racist and so on. Fuck, at least LA actually had a black guy in the team. The main one, by the point I stopped watching it, had:
  • A black guy (eventually, many seasons in) calling the shots
  • An Asian-American ("acceptably white for American TV!") who turned out to be the traitor anyway and died.
  • An Israeli ("the brown people that America approves of!") played by a Spanish-American ("acceptably white for American TV!")
Colour me unimpressed. How whitewashed can you get?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

So, I picked up some of the WH40K Space Marine Battles books, one of which is Wrath Of Iron.

So Wrath Of Iron is about the Iron Hands, who are big on prosthetics to the point of deliberately replacing healthy organs with bionic augments that are not superior. They also are all about purging emotional weaknesses like pity and compassion. The problem is, they're blithering idiots and a central plot element is based on a completely incorrect understanding of the way IG-Space Marine coordination (dys)functions. Namely, the author believes the Iron Hands captain would have overall command on the planet and the IG Lord General is under his authority. That is, uh, not how it works. At all. When both Space Marines and Imperial Guard are on a planet, they're under the joint command of... either an Inquisitor or no one.

This is important because the Iron Hands captain gave orders that appeared to outsiders to be completely idiotic, got thousands of guardsmen killed for no reason, and refused to explain why exactly it was so damned important to complete the campaign to take the capital spire of a hive world in less than two months. So naturally the IG commander eventually decided "fuck that" and began doing things the slow but much better way. Even though the reason is explained eventually, the Iron Hands commander was still kind of an idiot:
The reason, as it happens, is that a Slanneshi Daemon Prince got summoned and is opening a warp portal, and once it opens they're all fucked and it's Grey Knights time, only they don't have any Grey Knights with them. So the Chief Librarian needs to get there real soon.

Thing is, the Guardsmen can't exactly help much against the daemons already summoned, and the Iron Hands don't bother to protect them. More importantly, their monomaniacal obsession with moving forwards and letting the ordinary soldiers get fucked means that the daemons manage to overrun and destroy two fucking Warhound Titans. Titans which, it should be noted, are pretty effective against daemon hordes as long as they're kept at a distance. Unsuprisingly, the Titan commander is something pissed about this.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

The ending of Bioshock: Infinite made me so very, very angry.
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:The ending of Bioshock: Infinite made me so very, very angry.
I was an idiot and shelled out for the season pass. So I'll hang onto the game for long enough for stuff to come out, and let folks know if it makes a difference.

I'm sure you googled aroung looking for the bit where you went wrong, but as near as I can tell, there isn't a diverging point.
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:The ending of Bioshock: Infinite made me so very, very angry.
Share the details. I don't have it so I only have a quite inoffensive synopsis at my disposal. NEED MOAR RAGE.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

virgil wrote:Let me tell ya, Erfworld has felt like a Shaggy Dog story. Rob's managed to average just under 1 page a week for the last three and a half years since Book 2 started, and we still haven't finished the battle for Jetstone's capital.
He recently posted that Xin (the artist since Book 2 started) is leaving once Book 2 is completed and, in a post by her, stated that the horrendously slow updating has been more-or-less her fault because her home life crumbled into ruin. Leaving the personal tragedy aside, I'm really hoping that Rob is able to hire an artist who can keep pace and that the sooner Xin is gone the sooner the comic might, might, get back to updating regularly. Xin's art is really nice, but I tell ya, these delays are killer. I bought the large-sized printing of Book 1 and while reading it I suddenly remembered how much I liked that comic, which has only made the slow updates all the more disheartening.