Zero Buzz on 5E...Is It Dead Out The Gate?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

FrankTrollman wrote:
hamstertamer wrote:That is correct. The total attack modifier is exactly the same for confirmation, and does not need to be reconfigured. It's the easiest roll in D&D since you don't need to do any new math. All you have to do is roll higher then the target number that you needed before. Which is what happened in every 3rd edition D&D game I've played in and observed by working at a gaming store.
The only time it gets creaky is when DMs get all paranoid about keeping the ACs of team monster secret or the inclusion of shitty feats that give special bonuses to confirmation rolls. The fact that you just rolled a 19 and hit (and threatened a crit) doesn't inherently give you a lot of information about what happens if you roll a 13.

-Username17
I've always played with GMs who kept the bad guy's ACs hidden and I've always GMed that way. Now that I think about it, the only thing it seems to buy me is a phase of the fight where players doing some guess and check about who has high AC and who has low. This thread has made me reconsider the policy.

Do people around here usually play with secret bad guy ACs or public ones? Am I overlooking any virtues of keeping them secret until the d20 happens to roll two consecutive numbers?

Happy to split this off into a new thread if need be, but this one is so meandering at this point that I doubt a little discussion here will make a difference.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

@pragma,

I've consistently seen it where the first round or so, AC is secret. After the first few hits, it's usually announced. Depends on your table dynamics, but you'll usually save some time and lose nothing of value.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I've always been open as fuck if my players ask, and just told them hit or miss if they asked that after rolling.

I remember the first time some player asked about AC in one game I was in, and the DM tried to say it wasn't allowed.

From that moment on, I told all the players the most likely AC(s) of all enemies, and I was usually either right, or within 1-2. The DM finally gave up and just told the players the AC if they asked because he got tired from the "Awh Snap!"s that came at the end of every fight (and sometimes during them) when he told people the AC and my guess was super accurate.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
hamstertamer
Apprentice

Post by hamstertamer »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Don't be a blockhead. 10-sided dice where all of the numbers are multiples of 10 are called d100s. If you want to sperg over that, that's what Amazon.com calls them, too.
Listen you can call that d10 a banana if you want. It does not change the fact that the pathfinder beginner box gives you two dice to roll at the same time for percentage checks. Why did they bother when you could just re-roll a d10 again to get the "1s" place? Because of convenience since they expect people to roll 2d10s for percentage checks when it comes up.

btw the pathfinder beginner's box does not call that alternative labeled d10 a d100. Here's a quote, "The Pathfinder RPG Beginner Box includes a d4, a d6, a d8, two different d10s, d12, and a d20."

Further on it says, "The Beginner Box includes two different d10s. Use these together to roll from 1 to 100, called d100 or d%. Roll both dice, then read the two-digit die first as the “tens” and the other as the “ones.” For example, if the dice roll 50 and 7, that’s 57. If they roll 00 and 5, that’s 05. If they roll 00 and 0, that’s 100."

So using those dice together could be called a d100 or d%, but the one labeled with 10s is still a d10 since it cannot count 1 to 100 by itself.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

pragma wrote:Do people around here usually play with secret bad guy ACs or public ones?

Am I overlooking any virtues of keeping them secret until the d20 happens to roll two consecutive numbers?
I've never played, nor ran a game where I would reveal behind the screen details like that (save when applicable, like hit by a spell, or an effect says otherwise). So I've always seen them kept as a secret, as whole "Memorizing the Monster Manual" like quote probably wouldn't had much traction as a quote if this was a regular practice.

I suppose it was always a metagame type thing, or some pretense of tension or keeping things exciting through some basic secrecy. I haven't seen any issues with doing it, but I have stated "minimums" or "overrolled" values, so they could get a median (Below 20, don't bother, or 30+ hits!). Oddly enough, if I were to run a Dice Pool game like Shadowrun, I'd simply state the Threshold they'd need upfront, though likely due to rolling takes longer vs. D20.

Oh, and I've never heard of D10's being called "D100's",I've heard them called "Percentiles" for the 00-90 die, and D10 is simply a d10.
Last edited by Aryxbez on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

hamstertamer wrote:So using those dice together could be called a d100 or d%, but the one labeled with 10s is still a d10 since it cannot count 1 to 100 by itself.
Well, it can't count to 1 at all, but it certainly has no problem rolling 100. It does so one tenth of the time if there isn't a 1s place die rolled at the same time.

The reality is that there honestly isn't an unambiguous word for the ten sided dice that are labeled 10 to 00. Some people call them "percentiles," some people call them "d100s," and some people don't call them anything. But they are a thing that exists, and people are not wrong to use terminology to refer to them.

-Username17
hamstertamer
Apprentice

Post by hamstertamer »

FrankTrollman wrote:
hamstertamer wrote:So using those dice together could be called a d100 or d%, but the one labeled with 10s is still a d10 since it cannot count 1 to 100 by itself.
Well, it can't count to 1 at all, but it certainly has no problem rolling 100. It does so one tenth of the time if there isn't a 1s place die rolled at the same time.

The reality is that there honestly isn't an unambiguous word for the ten sided dice that are labeled 10 to 00. Some people call them "percentiles," some people call them "d100s," and some people don't call them anything. But they are a thing that exists, and people are not wrong to use terminology to refer to them.

-Username17
No one's use of terminology is being persecuted here, at least not by me. The original point was that the pathfinder beginner box provided two d10s to roll at the same time, because pathfinder beginner's box expects people to roll them both at the same time for percentage checks. It doesn't matter what you call the d10 for my point to be made, but a certain poster thought so and made a point to inform me that there was no extra d10 in his box but a d100. The extra die is labeled in 10s instead of 1s for convenience of course. The D&D starter kit does not come with an extra d10 (or "d100"), they expect you to re-roll that same d10 for your percentage check, just like they expect you to re-roll a d20 again for adv/dis rolls which happen constantly compared to percentage checks. In both cases, the starter kits do not assume you will have your own dice to use, and they made sure to provide what will be needed to play their rpg. What's strange about the new D&D starter kit is that people here have claimed that the adv/dis rolls are meant to be rolled at the same time (2d20) but you can't do that with your starter dice because there is only one in the box.
Last edited by hamstertamer on Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

hamstertamer wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:I own the Pathfinder Start Kit. As in, I'm looking at it right now and its crappy orange and white dice. There is one of each of a: d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, and d100.
There's d100 in your box? Really? There's a die with one hundred sides. Wow that's strange because most people just got an extra d10. Maybe you should counts the sides again to make sure.

Emphasis mine.

hamstertamer wrote:No one's use of terminology is being persecuted here, at least not by me.

You were saying?

Game On,
fbmf
Last edited by fbmf on Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

fectin wrote:But you don't know that. You know that you rolled a 19, plus 7 for your normal bonus is 26, plus 2 for charge is 28, plus 1 for the bard is 29. Oh, and 2 more because you're raging is 31. Did that hit?
Roll to confirm? Oh, okay.
So thats 16, plus 7 is 23... (etc). Does a 28 still hit?
This never happens like this.

Either it was your first attack, and the character hit because you rolled a 19 and you're not some moron who try to attack although you don't hit with a 19 and full BAB. So you don't calculate the final result, you say "I hit and it's a threat", and roll for the confirmation.

Either it was your third or fourth iterative attack, and you already added all those bonus to several attacks before, and since you're not a goldfish, you remember the whole set of bonus.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

If you have two d10 of the same color you couldn't tell which one is the d100 and which one is the d10. That's why one of the dice shows decimals and one digits. So yes, there is a fuckin' d100.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

GâtFromKI wrote:
fectin wrote:But you don't know that. You know that you rolled a 19, plus 7 for your normal bonus is 26, plus 2 for charge is 28, plus 1 for the bard is 29. Oh, and 2 more because you're raging is 31. Did that hit?

Either it was your first attack, and the character hit because you rolled a 19 and you're not some moron who try to attack although you don't hit with a 19 and full BAB. So you don't calculate the final result, you say "I hit and it's a threat", and roll for the confirmation.

Either it was your third or fourth iterative attack, and you already added all those bonus to several attacks before, and since you're not a goldfish, you remember the whole set of bonus.
Two other people have already said it's exactly like this. I'm happy for you that your tables have been free of of it.

Many tables don't see gnomes in play, or a disparity between casters and martials. Anecdotes are very poor evidence for absence.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

fectin wrote:
GâtFromKI wrote:

Two other people have already said it's exactly like this. I'm happy for you that your tables have been free of of it.

Many tables don't see gnomes in play, or a disparity between casters and martials. Anecdotes are very poor evidence for absence.
I arbitrarily assert that lots of tables actually resolve attack rolls by rolling dice, then being unable to add, then just making it up because adding is hard. But you can't disprove me with ancedotes.

Also you know, I for some reason don't have the burden of proof for my completely evidenceless assertion because my name is fectin.

I'd point out the argument that you are about to make, that you personally game with the kind of blithering morons withe goldfish memories and the inability to figure out whether they are charging before rolling the attack they make after a charge, and therefore X is hard and bad and should be done away with, is really just a Zak S argument, but since you regularly take the side of Zak S in all arguments, it wouldn't stop you.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

So, how does D&D5e compare with AD&D?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Which AD&D?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
hamstertamer
Apprentice

Post by hamstertamer »

fbmf wrote:
hamstertamer wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:I own the Pathfinder Start Kit. As in, I'm looking at it right now and its crappy orange and white dice. There is one of each of a: d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, and d100.
There's d100 in your box? Really? There's a die with one hundred sides. Wow that's strange because most people just got an extra d10. Maybe you should counts the sides again to make sure.

Emphasis mine.

hamstertamer wrote:No one's use of terminology is being persecuted here, at least not by me.

You were saying?
fbmf

He was the one who attempted to claim it wasn't a d10 to score a point, a very bad point. I was mocking him. Try reading the thread more carefully.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Huh?

Of course I get that you were mocking him. You were mocking him by persecuting his terminology.

Game On,
fbmf
erik
King

Post by erik »

hamstertamer wrote:I was mocking him. Try reading the thread more carefully.
Ah so self-unaware. So cute.
hamstertamer
Apprentice

Post by hamstertamer »

fbmf wrote:Huh?

Of course I get that you were mocking him. You were mocking him by persecuting his terminology.

Game On,
fbmf
Did you read thread? I told him he can call the d10 anything he wants, it does not change the fact you are supposed roll that d10 and the other d10 together for percentage checks. He was trying to claim that the extra d10 wasn't a d10 at all when he called it a d100. He can call it that if he wants, he can call it the super die or spunk monkey die or ultra special wonderful die, I don't care, but it is still a d10 as well, and more accurately and precisely called that.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

hamstertamer wrote:
fbmf wrote:Huh?

Game On,
fbmf
Did you read thread? I told him he can call the d10 anything he wants
You did that after you mocked his terminology, which you subsequently claimed you never did. Listen, I've never called the tens place d10 a d100 either. I'm not saying you should feel bad for doing it. I'm saying you did it, and then later claimed you didn't do it.

And for that, you should feel bad.

Game On,
fbmf
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

hamstertamer wrote:
fbmf wrote:
hamstertamer wrote:

Emphasis mine.

You were saying?
fbmf

He was the one who attempted to claim it wasn't a d10 to score a point, a very bad point. I was mocking him. Try reading the thread more carefully.

You do know, that there are dice with one hundred sides, right?
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

That can't be a serious question if you ask it of someone who has one for their profile picture.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Foxwarrior wrote:That can't be a serious question if you ask it of someone who has one for their profile picture.
Ha, I do should look at them occasionally... :bash:
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

OgreBattle wrote:So, how does D&D5e compare with AD&D?
That's an interesting question and having read through both rulebooks for the first time I've been asking myself that a lot.

Neither one is a clear winner. 5E's is less random, its rules are more clear and it makes character concepts come online quicker. On the other hand 5E's character concepts are worse. 2E's class and kit system is much better than 5E's bullshit shallow classes. 2E has more choices in general and they offer you more meaningful choices in your builds. 2E also is going to have a better monster manual because all of 5E's monster concepts are bad. There's gonna be no beating 2E's high verisimilitude monsters with discussions about their ecology and mating habits and awesome shit like that right in the monster entry.

All in all 5E is better than 4E or OD&D but worse than 3rd or 2nd. So the final order of edition quality goes.

3rd Edition: Great in a lot of ways
AD&D: Genuinely fun but a little archaic.
5E: Functional but extremely shallow.
OD&D: Simple but with lots of promise.
4E: Dull to the point that it verges on unplayable.
Last edited by Dean on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

OgreBattle wrote:So, how does D&D5e compare with AD&D?
We won't have a concrete answer to that until December. But from what we can see so far... let's say that in some parallel Earth that never had 3E o 4E, this would be their 3E.

It has many good ideas and implementation is not a complete trainwreck, just don't expect the system to make sense half the time and don't expect full zero-to-hero gameplay (it seems to be more on the Dark Heressy side of things).
Last edited by Dogbert on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
hamstertamer
Apprentice

Post by hamstertamer »

Korwin wrote:
hamstertamer wrote:
fbmf wrote:
Emphasis mine.

You were saying?
fbmf
You do know, that there are dice with one hundred sides, right?
Oh, I know it.