Desire and the Dead IC

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Zevras turns to look towards Bakir, bristling slightly at the telepathic contact, and sends back a Welcome.

Making a quick assessment, he speaks quietly to the others physically there; It seems we shall JUDGE in this place as well as FIGHT.

I shall approach directly. They shall KNOW my purpose, and I shall KNOW their intent."

He moves up in line with the alley, and walks towards the group of Collector-looking people.

I am Zevras. KNOW that I have been employed by the Voices to ensure peace. What is the purpose of this conflict?
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

Cartwell, a little startled at the sudden contact, quickly checks the street behind him. He is unable to distinguish Bakir, not knowing what to look for, he thinks back Happy to hear from you? Bunch of collectors fighting over who has the rights to move a body over here.

He then moves into view with Zevras. Cartwell is clearly backing the gith up, but says nothing for now.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

The initial reaction is sudden and violent. The Collectors turn, snarling, ready to gut whoever just butted in on their conflict. They are quickly sobered by the fact that both the people visibly standing before them are armed and clearly able to defend themselves.

The boldest, a hobgoblin with a grey-green armband, steps up.

"We're Collectors. We give the Mortuary bodies, they give us jink. What we have here is a dispute over which of us gets to bring this here fellow over there. If he weren't already picked over, and a nasty piece of work that was, by the way, we'd go through whatever of value he had first. Nothing on this one, unless someone's holding out."

She snaps a glance back over her shoulder at the others, then returns her focus to Zevras.
Akula
Knight-Baron

Post by Akula »

And why are you fighting, did not one of you find him first? Who was the injured man that ran off a few seconds ago? Cartwell will relay the conversation to Bakir. With this added, My summon can track by scent, if we want to find this guy, that might help.
And what does that armband mean? Know local if that is relevant.
Last edited by Akula on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

Bakir replies to Cartwell, "Yes, it might be wise to follow him. He might have some information about the troubles in the district. I'm fairly certain I can follow his blood trail if nothing else. Shall I go after the wounded man or would you prefer I stick around for whatever happens here?

Bakir also sends an image of himself to both Cartwell and Zevras.
Last edited by Jilocasin on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Akula wrote:"And why are you fighting, did not one of you find him first? Who was the injured man that ran off a few seconds ago?"
"Pickings aren't always what you might make them out to be. But you're right. I didn't see it first, and this isn't worth bleeding for."

The hobgoblin woman steps away. A few moments later, another 2 back off as well. 3 Collectors remain. Two of these are now staring at each other.

"I saw it first, you know."

"No, berk, you sodding didn't. We both called out around the same time."

The remaining Collector is standing well distant, eyeing the two with mild contemplation, but sheathing his knife as he does so. He's probably thinking about whether he can take all three bodies if a fight does break out.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

It would be best for you to follow his trail. We will not fall to these.

Zevras looks at the two speaking with each other, trying to get a feel for whether one of the two is lying. Speak, how did each of you come upon the corpse.

((Sense Motive at +9))
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

Very well, I shall attempt to apprehend him for questioning

Bakir starts to follow the blood trail towards the alleyways, hoping to come upon the man unawares.

{ Hide = 20, Move Silently = 28, Spot = 11
If you want any other rolls just let me know. Oh also, would communicating through telepathy alert someone to my general direction?}
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Quantumboost wrote:It would be best for you to follow his trail. We will not fall to these.

Zevras looks at the two speaking with each other, trying to get a feel for whether one of the two is lying. Speak, how did each of you come upon the corpse.

((Sense Motive at +9))
"We was just strolling along, going to check the Ditch if we didn't see anything on the way. We turn the corner, and there's this guy. We both call dibs around the same time.

"But I was faster!"

"By barely more than a moment to a sylph. You don't get it that easy, and you can't prove which of us actually saw the soulbag first. Not good enough for me."

The man claiming to have seen it first is visibly getting really angry.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jilocasin wrote:Very well, I shall attempt to apprehend him for questioning

Bakir starts to follow the blood trail towards the alleyways, hoping to come upon the man unawares.

{ Hide = 20, Move Silently = 28, Spot = 11
If you want any other rolls just let me know. Oh also, would communicating through telepathy alert someone to my general direction?}
{I'll rule that if someone's canny, they'll be fairly certain that you are somewhere nearby once you talk to them with telepathy. If they have telepathy of their own, they have a general sense of direction too. But random thugs off the street generally won't be able to guess where you are.}

Bakir moves quickly and quietly. The path goes more or less straight for a few hundred feet, then cuts to the right. A quick climb up a couple spikes projecting from the wall places Bakir at a position where he can look through a bit of razorvine at head height for an ogre while making it difficult for anyone to peer back and spot him.

It's a dead end. The Collector faces back the way he came, bandaging his arm with a faded yellow piece of cloth. He is trembling violently, and this is making his attempt at stopping his bleeding rather difficult, particularly given his split attention.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Zevras turns to the second one. You claim that your call was sooner. By how much?
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

"Eh? Round a second or so. We turned the corner around the same time."
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

Bakir thinks for a moment, then climbs down and applies a dose of carrion crawler brain juice to his kukri. Not with the intention to use it, but if necessary he can (with perhaps more difficulty than he would like) attempt to subdue the man without injuring him.

Regardless, he would prefer open cooperation, and to that end Bakir walks plainly in to view (attempting to make it appear as though he has not been actively following the man) and says aloud, "My good man. No, please, don't be alarmed. You merely look as though you require some assistance. Is there any aid I can offer? That wound doesn't look like it's going to bind itself."
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

The man looks back at Bakir. His hands dangle at his side, and his shivering continues. "Wh-what? Who are you? Why do you want to help me?"
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

Bakir slowly approaches. "My name is Bakir ibn Tufail, I have been tasked by the Voices to help keep order in this district. I noticed you running from that group of Collectors and thought you might be able to answer a few questions. But first we must see to your injuries. Please."
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

The man visibly relaxes.

"That's... good to hear, cutter. After this cut, I thought someone might have come to finish the job."

He stands still, allowing Bakir to bandage him.

"I'd be happy to answer your questions, but I'd rather stay out of arms reach if I'm to talk to the others. If you're the closest thing here to law, they could call me a snitch quite readily."
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

Bakir looks intently at the man.

"Yes... closest thing to law indeed. How about we head to the Whispered Word and chat a bit there. Unless there's something you'd like to tell me right now about that altercation back there."
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

"All I can think of to mention is that that fight got started a lot faster than usually happens around here. It felt like someone was just waiting for an excuse to give someone else a slice-job."

The man prepares to follow wherever Bakir leads him.
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

Bakir begins to head back to the Whispered Word.

Hmm, I see. Come on, we'll head back to the Whispered Word and you can fill me in on the chant. Maybe begin to figure out why every time I turn a corner there's another berk with a chiv. I didn't catch your name, by the way.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

"Ulanth."

The trip back goes fairly uneventfully. Most people barely spare a glance towards Bakir and his companion. At the Whispered Word, Grum indicates that he can free up a table if Bakir doesn't wish to talk to Ulanth in the group's rooms.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

((Sorrysorry, not good at spontaneous ethical judgements >_<))

Very well. You shall both deliver the corpse, and resolve this between yourselves. Without bloodshed. Zevras moves aside to the edge of the alley's entrance.
Last edited by Quantumboost on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

The Collectors glare at Zevras briefly, but grudgingly nod and depart towards the Mortuary together. Zevras is reasonably sure they aren't going to turn around and shiv each other as soon as they get out of sight.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Mister_Sinister wrote:
Akarchin and I are going to disguise ourselves as the Sigilian equivalent of tourists. Basically, to appear as stupid and as harmless as possible. I'm gonna disguise myself as an orc woman, just to pile it on. Akarchin is free to choose what she wants to be.

Additionally - does wearing shoes apply to all disguises I make, or just ones I happen to wear?
Alright, so Akarchin's disguised as a tiefling whore, and will carry her black bag like a purse, with her bracers inside it (they were created with evil spells, so they can be carried), Alice is disguised as a pimp, and Dana is disguised as a kitten. Shall we head out? and what exactly was the plan past playing dressup?
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Lord Peter is disguised as a bad ass, correct?
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

{So 2 prostitutes and a Chaos Space Marine of Khorne with a cat on one of his pauldrons walk into a bar magic shop. Deadwick or Nymon?}
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
God_of_Awesome
Knight-Baron

Post by God_of_Awesome »

In the Whispered Word, a medium humanoid, bedecked from head to toe in full leather plate armor and a demon-esque mask, approached Bakir and Ulanth.

"Are either of you the enforcers of the Voices of the Mortuary district?" It asked, "I am Baldraxe."
Last edited by God_of_Awesome on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Frank on the Fighter (Abridged)
FrankTrollman wrote:
God_of_Awesome wrote: Could I inquire on the motive behind the design decisions on the Fighter class?

The Fighter is intended to be, like the Wizard, a character who can and does adapt their tactics to the opposition and draws upon player experience to deliver tactical victories. And to do it without "feeling" like it was using Magic.

So honestly, when someone tells me "I know the game backwards and forwards, and when I pull out all the stops with the Fighter I totally win!" And my response is "OK, good." Because that's exactly what people report with the Wizard too.

-Username17