5e D&D is Vaporware

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Aryxbez wrote:I guess they figure if 3rd edition did it, then it's all kosher? As it seems most will assume it's a mix of 3rd edition presentation, with a hand of 4th edition weakening it.
To me, it looks like 4E but with mostly smaller numbers (Magic Missile does 3x 1d4 at level 10?) and with a dose of Goodman Games's Dungeon Crawl Classics added (let's roll to determine spell DCs! no, let's not).

So I guess the lesson they learned from 4E is that 4E is awesome...
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

This part bothers me (emphasis mine):
Some monsters have an evasion like ability that if they roll a 20, or double the DC for a save for half they take none.
What the shit? How is that even supposed to scale on a d20? It's like they don't understand the difference between linearly scaling DCs and mods and doubling the otherwise arbitrary number that is the DC. There's no way that will work once your DC gets past 10 or 15 if they're even on the same RNG. Why couldn't they just say "if you beat the DC by more than 10 points, or something"?

Also, I noticed you roll for DCs now (like in 3.0 psionics) as opposed to setting the base at 10 + mods. Yay. More rolling. I'm surprised there wasn't a soak roll in there on top of a damage roll.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Hogarth wrote:To me, it looks like 4E but with mostly smaller numbers (Magic Missile does 3x 1d4 at level 10?) and with a dose of Goodman Games's Dungeon Crawl Classics added (let's roll to determine spell DCs! no, let's not).

Yeah, pretty much. The sample wizard had at-wills, encounter powers, and dailies. About the only thing that's really different is that numbers are scaled way down. Of course, we haven't been told hit point totals, so either the numbers are merely scaled down versions of 4e numbers, or the hit points aren't scaled down as much because they decided that 4e simply wasn't grindy enough.
:roll:
Aryxbez wrote: Frank, may I ask what kind of combat would make you more satisfied in a Fantasy RPG, even if specific to D&D?

Otherwise, doesn't seem learned much in way of anything, hell even spell DC's are apparently done as a roll on the D20 plus an attribute modifier, so have fun with that wacky Range, on top of an extra roll.
Ideally, combat in a tabletop RPG would be like M:tG or Pokemon, where you had a handful of options and then you used one maneuver or another based on what you thought your opponent was prepared for and they made similar choices either sequentially or simultaneously. There are lots of other conflict systems that I enjoy, but I don't think Diablo-style grinding or Soul Caliber-style combo timing actually works in a table top format.

But failing that, I would like to play 3rd edition that was simply cleaned up. And by that I mean tracking less tiny bullshit bonuses that add up to a christmas tree that breaks the RNG. Basically the exact opposite of what this writeup is describing.

-Username17
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

RobbyPants wrote:
Some monsters have an evasion like ability that if they roll a 20, or double the DC for a save for half they take none.
What the shit? How is that even supposed to scale on a d20? It's like they don't understand the difference between linearly scaling DCs and mods and doubling the otherwise arbitrary number that is the DC. There's no way that will work once your DC gets past 10 or 15 if they're even on the same RNG.
I think you're jumping to conclusions. From the sound of it, bonuses go up pretty slowly (e.g. between level 2 and level 5, a thief gets +1 to attacks), so saying "once your [minimum] DC gets past 10 or 15" may be moot.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Hogarth wrote:To me, it looks like 4E but with mostly smaller numbers (Magic Missile does 3x 1d4 at level 10?) and with a dose of Goodman Games's Dungeon Crawl Classics added (let's roll to determine spell DCs! no, let's not).

Yeah, pretty much. The sample wizard had at-wills, encounter powers, and dailies. About the only thing that's really different is that numbers are scaled way down. Of course, we haven't been told hit point totals, so either the numbers are merely scaled down versions of 4e numbers, or the hit points aren't scaled down as much because they decided that 4e simply wasn't grindy enough.
:roll:
There's some followup posts here (with some comments on hit points):

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost ... tcount=350
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost ... tcount=351
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost ... tcount=355

According to him, the wizard and the elf have different casting mechanics! The wizard has set DCs and the elf has rolled DCs. Brilliant...

I guess the elf is supposed to be more like a sorcerer or something because he doesn't prepare spells.
Last edited by hogarth on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

You know, it's not like I'm really committed to having every class get exactly identical resource management, advancement schedules, and nigh-identical in-battle effects, but this sort of differentiation just seems really daft.
-JM
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

John Magnum wrote:You know, it's not like I'm really committed to having every class get exactly identical resource management, advancement schedules, and nigh-identical in-battle effects, but this sort of differentiation just seems really daft.
To be fair, it kind of makes sense to have two different mechanics in the same playtest so that the players can say "I hated A and I loved B". Then you could ditch the one that everybody hated, I suppose.
Last edited by hogarth on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

FrankTrollman wrote:But failing that, I would like to play 3rd edition that was simply cleaned up. And by that I mean tracking less tiny bullshit bonuses that add up to a christmas tree that breaks the RNG. Basically the exact opposite of what this writeup is describing.
As cool as it would be to start that, basically a proper Pathfinder, that's a pipe dream for me. I don't have the personal finances to do such, and I need more than rules to make it at all financially viable; I need a crack team of artists and layout designers.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

So a wizard has like 20 something hit points at level 5. And a level 5 Magic Missile does one d8 of damage. That is padded sumo the likes of which I can't even understand.

Of course, the 1st level wizard apparently has like 14 hit points and does a d4 with a magic missile, which I suppose is even worse.

So yeah, this is just another reboot of 4e. I guess I can go back to not giving a shit.

-Username17
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

The spell memorization he used looks a lot like Arcana Evolved's variation on 3E magic
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

That thread is at least the second time I've seen 2d20 mentioned when making a check. I suppose they could be doing 2d20, take the higher for your roll? The only other quick alternative is that the RNG gets really huge.

Still less enthused than ever now. Magic Missile sounds like something I'm going to have to look up every time and it's still going to be mired in the problems of 4e and no one knowing what the heck anyone else is going to be doing in play.

Best part was the response to skill checks:
I just played a minor 'mother may I' game where the DM told me to make attribute checks.
No one saw that coming, right? :bored:
Last edited by Previn on Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Last edited by hogarth on Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Well... hopefully that's a good thing, then.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

Never mind, missed the newest info supposedly being a hoax.
Last edited by FatR on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ModelCitizen
Knight-Baron

Post by ModelCitizen »

FrankTrollman wrote: So a wizard has like 20 something hit points at level 5. And a level 5 Magic Missile does one d8 of damage. That is padded sumo the likes of which I can't even understand.

Of course, the 1st level wizard apparently has like 14 hit points and does a d4 with a magic missile, which I suppose is even worse.

So yeah, this is just another reboot of 4e. I guess I can go back to not giving a shit.
-Username17
That's a probably a shitty at-will, like something just good enough that you don't pack a crossbow. We know Fireball does 5d6 and we know Leak Guy had Fireball at level 5. That sounds about right.

Also there have been some hints that 1st level nuke spells do about 3d6 damage (that bit about Charm Person being "balanced" against 10.5 damage, which is a nonsense metric but it means there's probably an actual 3d6 nuke that would go in the same slot as Charm Person). The 2nd level rogue was doing something in the same ballpark, 1d4+2d6+3 on a sneak attack I think.

E: Hi I missed Hogarth's post, doesn't matter anyway because fake post is (probably) fake.
Last edited by ModelCitizen on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

hogarth wrote:Ooh...now claims that it's a hoax!
Well... thanks God? Although I still don't have that much hope for 5E.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

virgil wrote:I don't have the personal finances to do such, and I need more than rules to make it at all financially viable; I need a crack team of artists and layout designers.
try kickstarter.
Browse the net for student artists, or artists that think exposure for their portfolio can compensate somwhat for pay.
hoax!
Now based on what you read, do you think the hoaxer spent more time on thinking out 5e than Monte has?
Last edited by OgreBattle on Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Assuming he is a hoaxer, and not WotC trying to clamp down on the 17+pages on EnWorld of "I hate it."

But that wouldn't surprise me.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I'm withholding final judgement on whether that was "really" a hoax or not. My preliminary assessment is that the hoax explanation is likely, because the raw numbers he was quoting were smaller than the things Monte was gibbering about, and he didn't seem to mention automagic successes at anypoint. I can't rule out that it was real, because other than that, it's pretty much exactly the game Monte and Mearls were chortling over.

The conspiracy theory would be that they released a shill talking about the game with the raw numbers fiddled with so that they could disavow it at any time if reaction turned negative.

But I think it's interesting that when Mearls and Monte give their tirades about game design, they get reasonably open reception on EnWorld. But when someone describes playing an actual game that fits those design principles they freak out with the hate. The design principles Monte and Mearls have described really are laughably terrible.

-Username17
ScottS
Journeyman

Post by ScottS »

FrankTrollman wrote: Although actually the worst part of that is this:
I hasted the party (+1 to weapon attacks, +1 AC, +5ft move, and I can give up my standard action any turn to grant a move or standard to anyone else effected), and then I used Invisibility. I spent the whole fight just giving the hafling more attacks.
That "makes sense" from a tactical standpoint. Obviously, if Haste allows you to convert actions of yoruself to actions of another character you would trade your actions out to whoever had the most relevant attack. But that's... terrible. That is the most boring fucking thing I could imagine. It's the Skill Challenge problem (the best option is to not take actions and let the diplomancer roll more dice), but generalized to combat.

-Username17
There's a build of the Inquisitor class in Pathfinder which works in almost exactly this way. (As a class feature, you get to give up an entire round of actions, i.e. standard/move plus immediates and AOOs, in order to give one person on your team haste for 1 rd.) They're mooching off of 4e lazylord popularity for the fans that are into that sort of thing.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Rise from the grave, thread, rise from the grave!

New Legends and Lore: The return of Vancian casting, which didn't really disappear at all

So, we've got Vancian casting back, because...it promotes resource management. And judicious spell use. Or something.

But for those who don't like thinking, you can build your own 3e warlock, using different spells than fireball and magic missile,

Did no one else notice that the 3.5 wizard was VASTLY better than the 3e warlock, especially considering the 3e wizard had reserve feats that a) let him do the same thing and b) no one took?
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Flexible spellcasting (such as the 3rd Edition sorcerer)
I know they mean "you have a couple of spells you can fire off until the cows come home" but Sorcerers were not only also Vancian, but had hard caps on their spell list by dint of not being able to write down extra spells in their spellbooks.

And this isn't saying "we're bringing Vancian back", it's saying "blah blah dumb stuff about Vancian casting blah blah make our decisions for us blah". 4rries are gonna be mad, though, since telling them the Encounter/Daily power split was Vancian is like cockslapping their mother.
Last edited by Mask_De_H on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

This begs the question of what the hell was on those playtest wizards.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

My money's on 4e E/D system, but with the label filed off since it was a one-shot. The feat-as-at-will idea shows up again here, too.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Mask_De_H wrote:[..] Sorcerers were not only also Vancian [..]
Nobody in Jack Vance's books cast spells like a sorcerer. Of course, you can always make up your own definition for Vancian, but you should probably share that definition with the rest of us if you want to have an intelligent discussion.