New Dom3 Game

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Lawgiver: Pretender Design

I knew I wanted a major bless because I have sacred troops recruitable in every fort and summonable sacred troops and thugs. I considered using a Water bless. The defense and extra attacks would have given my sacreds incredibly melee superiority against normal troops, especially indies. However, I worried that it would not be great against Pan and Vanheim. With Pan, I was worried that my quickened jaguars would fatigue out after killing the first wave of maenads. With Van, I worried about fatiguing out before I could hit the vans, but mostly I wanted the benefits of the Fire bless I went with. I settled on Fire 9 because it would allow me to pierce most Air buffs to kill Van's thugs, and because it would deal bonus damage against Pan's barkskinned hordes. Jaguars have enough health to survive without a defense buff, and eagles mostly fight archers anyway.

I considered going for a double bless but that would have committed me pretty firmly to a rush. I would have felt bad about immediately killing someone with double sacreds, but at the same time I didn't want to commit too much to one gimmick. So I decided to find a cheap vehicle for the F9 with decent Dominion and settled on the Phoenix.

Magic:

Fire 9 for the bless, Air 4 because it's cheap. It allows me to forge Air boosters and to whip up a Storm in battle to give my hordes of A1 and A2 guys more juice for their lightningspam. It also added a minor bless that defends against archers, but as it turns out none of my enemies use archers.

Dominion and Awakening

I wanted a high Dominion to make more sacreds and push dominion for my immortal pretender. I didn't need Awe though, so I went with Dominion 8. I didn't need an Awake pretender because Jaguars expand fine by themselves. I did want to use my big paths in early combat, so I went with Dormant.

Scales

I can afford (-1) scales at this point. Mictlan prefers heat 1 so that puts me at 0. I took Sloth 3 because my sacreds don't wear armor. That lets me get Luck 1, Magic 1, and Order 1. Magic is a no-brainer because the research advantage is so huge. Luck is mostly because I hate bad events, but also so I can more easily cast site-search spells. Order 1 doesn't add a substantial amount of gold when pulled down by my Sloth, but it DOES unlock a bunch of good events that give gold.
Last edited by Orion on Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Selling 27 Earth gems. Looking to buy water, astral, death.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Dear Pangaea--

We regret to inform you that you are now standing in the way of our territorial ambitions. We intend to expand in the south or in the northwest, and either way, that means taking land from you. We are also scared of your exponentially multiplying forces and want to curtail their progress a little bit. For this reason, we feel we must announce the dissolution of our NAP and our intent to commence hostilities on turn 46.

Our offer to sell you earth gems remains open. (We would also trade a Moonvine Bracelet for some water or astral). We don't need to be enemies to the death and this is not a war of annihilation. We simply wish to free our hands to act according to our national interests.

Yours,

Mictlan.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Dear Pangaea; since the world is at war, we also are dissolving our NAP-3 with you. We'll be setting the first attacks on turn 49, to land in turn 50.

Also, we could use death gems, and are willing to sell a Ring of Sorcery or Ring of Wizardry for said large number of death gems, even to Pangaea.
Last edited by Ikeren on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

The good news: killing hundreds of maenads with virtually no losses. The bad news: still more maenads this turn than last turn.
Drago0661
Master

Post by Drago0661 »

Changed my mind, going AI.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

We are finally making a dent in the number of Maenads. It seems that when your global enchantment gives them -8 to morale, maenads are incapable of fighting for shit.

Astral Geyser is disappointing. Despite spamming it with like 7 casters all battle, not one horror showed up. However, thanks to off-script charm-spamming, I am the proud owner of several horrormarked Maenads. Let's hope that doesn't come back to bite me.

Speaking of unscripted Charm spells, I now own a Monster Boar. I assume it will continue to junk up my province with unrest even though it's mine now? Where can I get a stealth commander to dump it in enemy lands?
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Crown of command on Scout? (not shure about the item name...)
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Vanheim: It looks like you're going to get Pangaea's victory points before me. I don't know what this game's victory condition is, but I'm nervous about what happens if you get one from Pangaea. Between that and the complete ineffectuality of the Pangaean armies, I'm forced to consider you my #1 enemy. I'm pretty sure we never signed any agreements, so... yeah.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

I have just received a job that is high paying (300$/day or more) that I am well suited to and have had in the past with other companies, but did not expect to or wish to take again --- circumstances dictate that I do. It will require me to be in the wilderness and have computer access only at a rate of one in six days.

It should be someone indifferent to Orion and angelfromanotherpin.

There is a NAP 3 with Orion (Abysia). Both Vanheim (me) and Abysia (Orion) are at war with Pangaea. Basically, someone gets to play a final showdown Vanheim versus Mictlan.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Ikeren wrote:I have just received a job that is high paying (300$/day or more) that I am well suited to and have had in the past with other companies, but did not expect to or wish to take again --- circumstances dictate that I do. It will require me to be in the wilderness and have computer access only at a rate of one in six days.

It should be someone indifferent to Orion and angelfromanotherpin.

There is a NAP 3 with Orion (Abysia). Both Vanheim (me) and Abysia (Orion) are at war with Pangaea. Basically, someone gets to play a final showdown Vanheim versus Mictlan.
What is this job, out of curiosity?
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Tree-Planting. You plant between 1000-3000 trees per day for 10-30 cents per tree. I was not expecting to do it again this year as I had other work lined up, but it fell apart yesterday so I made a few calls.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Dude, that sucks.

(Also: did we really have an NAP-3? I guess I should keep records. Will revise my turn orders...)

I was really looking forward to our inevitable confrontation.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

It is suboptimal. It is an excellent job, but like I said, I was under the impression I had something better. It is still much better than the average tree-planter does.

Well, if I can't find a sub, you get either A) an AI or B) the slowness of playing this at a rate of one turn per 6 days for the rest of the summer.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I'm willing to concede at this point. I might have been able to weasel out of a 3-way free-for-all, but 1-on-1 I'm just in the weaker position.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Shall we lay our cards out on the table?

Military
At this point I'm mostly only recruiting sacreds, since I'm finding chaff almost useless in the fights I've been getting into. Dark Skies means the maenads rout so quickly they can be driven off by evokers without even needing chaff, while the chaff also tend to kill themsleves trying to attack the Vanjarls.

I have been making 12 jaguar warriors a turn since forever and have probably a couple hundred of them scattered around. I also have about 2 dozen Lamias which I have an N-random Nahualli pump out ins ets of 6, and a few vine ogres. I made 2 draconian tribes and a bunch of hawks for sieging, and still have a couple sea trolls hanging around from when I needed a sea king to bootstrap water.

Supers
I made all 3 Air Queens and both Fire Kings. I made an Ivy King and a couple of Treelords, although they turned out to be mostly useless. I thought I would be spamming vine ogres but it turns out my Nature gems are all going into forging. I was only able to make one Tlaloque, but I lucked out and got the Death one.

Other than that, I really don't have any thugs worth noting.

Magic Access
I have an S1N3 Nahualli holding a treelord staff and moonvine bracelet, which gives me an N6 or N7 with my ring of sorcery. He's my lamia caster and can basically do all the heavy nature lifting. I've been thinking of hoarding Nature gems to steal Pangaea's globals or recast them one Pangaea dies.

I lucked into an S4 couatl, which got me up to S6. I'm about to forge my Ring of Wizardry for S7, but since couatls don' have hands the forging is expensive and I keep diverting pearls to dispel enemy globals. (On a related note, don't try to dispel a global and cast a new one in the same turn, or the new one might go off before the dispel. wasted 80 water gems that way.)

For Water I put two boosters on a W2 Rain Priest, summoned a Sea Troll, then put them on him which got me to my national SUmmon Tlaloque. I only summoned one, but I got the D2W4B2 guy which was amazing. I had already searched death with a Nahualli on a D random, so getting a D2 allowed me to go Skull Staff -> Ring of Sorcery -> Skullface -> Mound Fiend in short order. After that I wasted all my death gems summoning spectres to try to break into Earth.

I eventually did get a couple of E1 spectres, though not before I burned 50 gems empowering an Sky Priest to E1. It's okay though because I was planning to make him forge me a Staff of the Elements. I slapped Earth Boots on all three of my earth mages and had them spam Gnome lore for the rest of the game, which turned up a whole lot of nothing.

My Blood suit looked promising but ended up disappointing. I had 4 or 5 Nahuallis with B1 randoms, and I hunted up enough slaves to make some rods, do an empower and forge the basic blood boosters. Then I made a Civateteo and a Tlahuelpuchi. At this point I put the blood pyramid scheme on hold to start blood searching my nation, which took the rest of the game and yielded no benefit whatsoever.

In total I had about 2 dozen sky priests sitting around researching. I thought massing A1s would be good if I had a High priest make a storm so they could buff up to A2 and spam orb lightning, but ultimately it was too much work and I decided to make more communion slaves for war instead. When I did deploy Sky Priests, I use Aim and Bows of War. I had like 50 or more Nahualli by the end, who could fly in and spam soul slay with Light of the North up, or walk in human form and throw Storm of Thorns. I also had about 10 Couatl to lead communions. When the time came to dig out Pangaea the plan was to finish Thau9 and use Master Enslave.

I didn't have enough of my other mages to be strategically relevant.

Research

Although my early research was focused into Evo (so my god could blow thigns up) and Const (to make all my boosters), I tried to keep a genralized approach. I had taken most schools up to 8 by the end game (usually for a gemgen or unique I needed), but only Const and Blood sat at 6 and I didn't have ANY tier nines.

Resources

I wasn't sitting on more than 3 or 4 hundred gold, but my net per turn was like 3000 or so, and it all went to mages except for a handful of sacreds and 1-2 temples. I had about 50 of each gems, except Nature and Death which I used up every turn. I had about 3 sets of thug gear, some miscellaneous boosters, and a pile of magic bows, but no gemgens of any kind.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Sure.

Military
I'm still mass-producing and mass-losing Maenads as my main army force. I stopped buying guys for a few turns because Vanheim mass-stealth-assaulted my provinces and my income fell like a brick. With a few buffs, they're still pretty good against Vanheim, and the only reason they fail against you so hard is the morale penalty from your Dominion - they were doing fine against Vanheim. I also have a giant pile of Foulspawn from Improved Cross Breeding which are generally in the same boat as the Maenads.

However, In the north I have a Vine Ogre factory (approx 80 ogres) and in the south I'm generating a demon army through repeated Ritual of the Five Gates (24 of various kinds), so I've got harder stuff as well.

Supers
Couple of thugged-out Heliophages, couple of thugged-out Grotesques. Nothing too special.

Magic Access
Crap, basically. I could reliably get to about 5 in my four starting paths, but barring the occasional non-reproducible mutant, that was that.

Oh, and I have one Jade Sorceress for Water 1 (2 with a booster), churning out Frost Brands for the thugs.

The big deal was that I found Mount Chaining (the Blood 40 discount), which is usually a game-turner. But I found it very late and my mediocre performance until then was taking too long to turn around.

Research
Conj 7, Alt 7, Const 4, Ench 7, Thaum 7, Blood 8

Resources
I was tight for money most of the game, spending almost all of it on casters and letting the Maenads serve as troops. I had pretty good gem income, but it mostly went out as fast as it came in. I had maybe 6 sets of thug gear, but two sets were distributed over various non-thugs for reasons. I had about 10 Blood Stones, mostly on dudes who were leading armies, 3-4 dwarf hammers, misc boosters.

Not too shabby, I think, but not up to snuff for a duel with what you wound up having.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Actually, your Foul Spawn gave me a lot of trouble. They were WAY harder to drive off with magic than the maenads were. Sure, if I had deployed a reasonable number of jaguar warriros I could have taken them out, but the foul spawn actually are what halted me eastward expansion. I diverted resources to go north instead.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Huh, weird. Do you know why?
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Are they mindless? I remember finding it difficult to rout them, which was irksome because by the time I encountered them I had stopped bothering to bring chaff for my mages to hide behind.