Monte Cook leaving 5E

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Seerow wrote:I hadnt seen that tabletop before. Why on earth does it make the player enter everything manually rather than importing the character from the character builder?
Well, it was supposed to do that anyway. Remember, the whole chain of 4E DDI was supposed to go:

Character Builder -> Monster Builder -> Character Viewer -> Virtual Battlemat -> Virtual Tabletop

They stalled out at the Character Builder and Monster Builder. If the VT beta they actually have out for 4E is supposed to be a stalking horse for the 5E VT (which isn't a bad bet since D&D did hire an outside graphic arts team) then we'll never have the entirety of the DDI that we were promised.

Given that 5E D&D is almost certainly going down in flames summer of 2014, unless:
[*] Hasbro was already working for something DDI-like for Magic the Gathering (very hard to believe given the format of that game) or some other project and let D&D have the leftovers to convert.

[*] Hasbro is sufficiently bullshitted/convinced that the lack of DDI was cause of 4E D&D failure and the chucklefucks who are in charge of D&D won't have their act together in time for 5E D&D so hired talent on the side. While this is true, the original DDI that we were promised isn't going to save something as fail as 5E D&D.

[*] Some crazed fan cooks up this project from scratch.

Something similar to the MapTools/Fantasy Grounds VT that was in my first link is probably what we're going to get.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.