[Economics] If Obama actually gives us the VSP Grand Bargain

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

Josh_Kablack wrote:Another camoflagued FUCK YOU to the working class on top of the FUCK YOU to the working class that was the payroll tax reversion hike.

I can't find stats for percentage of returns usually filed in January, but based on an educated guess, that shift in timing is probably gonna delay something like a quarter of the $~60 billion in EITC payments that go to the working poor with children.....you know those people most likely to spend that money in the local economy and least likely to use it to open another factory in China.
I would guess that if you are doing it yourself, you won't be able to efile until midway through the first week of February. The massive uploads by the various tax services will crash the IRS server when it goes up, probably several times in the first week or so.
K
King

Post by K »

Apparently, the National Republican Congressional Committee doesn't know how money works because they released this image on Twitter:
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I don't get it. Why do we need $1 trillion in platinum to have a $1 trillion coin?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

I don't get it. The Titanic already sunk.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

name_here wrote:It probably has something to do with how the IRS computer system is from the very depths of hell and coded in a confusing combination of assembler, COBOL, and whatever other languages they felt like throwing in. They probably need the extra time to slaughter chickens and burn incense to appease its machine-spirit. Although I think starting this year it no longer has any six-bit code in it (Not a joke).
Don't worry, they should have it modernized for 32-bit systems and Windows XP by 2005, 2007, 2012, 2020

At least someone caught the part of their press release that was an outright lie about prior year tax season start dates.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Maj wrote:I don't get it. Why do we need $1 trillion in platinum to have a $1 trillion coin?
We don't. In fact, the whole coin trick wouldn't work if they did it that way. The reason it works is because of seigniorage; the same idea behind making commemorative coins. The coin is worth more than the platinum of which it's made. Sort of like how a $100 bill isn't actually worth $100 in raw materials. That image is either a pathetic strawman, or a conservative not understanding the issue at hand.

Everything you need to know about the trillion dollar coin
K
King

Post by K »

Yes, Republicans don't understand how money works. They released an image that was supposed to be funny based on their flawed understanding of how fiat money works.

So the joke is on them, and they are the one's who made it.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

K wrote:Yes, Republicans don't understand how money works.
This right here explains so much about American politics in one simple sentence.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

OK. So the brilliance of that image is that Republicans are [still] retarded.

Can I admit that there are times when I just cannot believe that people are that stupid? It's like some surreal joke.
Last edited by Maj on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

That's a really good article. Thanks for posting it, RobbyPants. I'll have to keep that in my back pocket in case I need to email some info to someone who's confused on the issue.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Maj wrote:Can I admit that there are times when I just cannot believe that people are that stupid? It's like some surreal joke.
I have times like that too.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Maj wrote:OK. So the brilliance of that image is that Republicans are [still] retarded.

Can I admit that there are times when I just cannot believe that people are that stupid? It's like some surreal joke.
Pretty much. I was hoping it was just some person trolling, or maybe just some random guy who doesn't know stuff about things. Sadly, K said it was made by the National Republican Congressional Committee...

Shatner wrote:
That's a really good article. Thanks for posting it, RobbyPants. I'll have to keep that in my back pocket in case I need to email some info to someone who's confused on the issue.
No problem. It was the best explanation I've seen in one sitting. It was especially nice after I listened to the three guys on the morning show I listen to sound like dumbasses trying to discuss it in a humor format.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

Jon Stewart wrote:“We need a way to get the world to take the U.S. dollar seriously again.”
They don't now? What world is he living in?
-JM
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well, ~10 years ago the US dollar was worth close to two Australian dollars, and was reasonably close to the Great British Poundington Stirling, Upon Which the Sun Never Goes Down Without First Asking (to use the correct first name). I mean, sure, twenty years ago there were games made by British people that had 1 GP = 10 SP = 100 CP = 10,000 GREATER AMERICAN DOLLARS, but that's England for you.

These days, USD to AUD is just about 1-for-1. Your currency doesn't simply crush everyone else beneath it. But it's not like the world stopped using it or anything, it's still "the most important currency".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Similarly about 8 years ago 1 Canadian dollar was worth about 65 US cents. We've been at parity for a few years now, but we haven't gone over it.

I know both the Liberal and Conservatives want the CDN dollar to go down in value, it's better for our trade but it hasn't really budged. I wonder what combination this is of QEs 1-3, trade balance and general economic strength.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
K
King

Post by K »

It was a transitional line to set up the bit about the Treasury nominee. Don't overthink it.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Juton wrote:Similarly about 8 years ago 1 Canadian dollar was worth about 65 US cents. We've been at parity for a few years now, but we haven't gone over it.
Actually, it was higher than the dollar for a bit around 2008.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

So, it sounds like Obama wants to take the 14th Amendment option and platinum coin option off the table in favor of simply refusing to let the house Republicans hold the economy hostage. Can this work? It seems like they'll just end up playing chicken again like they did in 2011.

I'm not even sure what his best option is at this point.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Yeah, it currently looks like we're playing chicken again. Which led to the downgrade in the US credit rating last time, and that was even after a deal had been inked, voted on, and signed - the very fact that the politicians responsible could not get their shit together until the very last fucking minutes caused assholes across the world to clench in fear.

The thing is, any of the clever options is just pushing the confrontation further out - platinum coins will not work forever, the debt ceiling needs to be nixxed. The problem is, you cannot deal with the Republicans on their own terms - that the Republicans are even trying this shit again shows how far over the deep end they are. So if you force a confrontation, it's anybody's guess over who will cave first, and whether they'll cave fast enough to get anything done, and what the consequences will be. Because you have a lot of Tea Party types that will gladly play Dr. Strangelove and ride the fucking bomb all the way down, screaming "'Merica!"
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yeah, right now Obama is at least pretending that he does not believe that the 14th Amendment option or the Platinum Coin option or the Presidential Scrip option are legal. All three of them are plainly legal, so claiming that they aren't is a rhetorical strategy. This indicates that he is either setting up the "Money in the Treasury" provision, where he simply chooses what bills to pay and not pay and thus gets a line-item veto out of the deal; or he is simply betting that a line in the sand rhetoric will force the Republicans to cave. Or of course, he could be planning on selling out the American people for a mess of pottage, I don't know.

But the thing where Obama claims he won't use the coins is simply a rhetorical stance. Legally, he could totally do that.

As for John Stewart and the economy: he doesn't understand the deficit. Hell, John Stewart doesn't understand a lot of things about the government. Have you noticed how he's been spending the last several years harping on leftists that they have to "admit" that government needs to be more efficient, when it's already running with half the waste of the private sector?

John Stewart is very funny and very insightful a lot of the time. But there are a lot of things he just doesn't fucking get. And the federal budget and its affects on the economy as a whole is certainly one of them.

-Username17
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

FrankTrollman wrote:Yeah, right now Obama is at least pretending that he does not believe that the 14th Amendment option or the Platinum Coin option or the Presidential Scrip option are legal. All three of them are plainly legal, so claiming that they aren't is a rhetorical strategy.
What is the Presidential Scrip option? This is the first I can remember reading about it.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0 ... n-coupons/

The President generally can't just print up a bunch of money. But he could conceivably tell the Treasury to print up a bunch of IOUs, and if people accept them then no worries. They would probably work like California's registered warrants.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

RobbyPants wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:Yeah, right now Obama is at least pretending that he does not believe that the 14th Amendment option or the Platinum Coin option or the Presidential Scrip option are legal. All three of them are plainly legal, so claiming that they aren't is a rhetorical strategy.
What is the Presidential Scrip option? This is the first I can remember reading about it.
That is where the Treasury Department cuts a deal with some amount of the creditors of the United States Government where instead of giving them dollars from the treasury, they get IOUs that say "The President promises to give you X amount of dollars as soon as Congress gets its act together and puts money in the treasury again". They aren't debt, so they don't count against the debt limit, and they aren't money, so they don't count against congressional printing limits. But if people accept them voluntarily, then the government isn't defaulting on any of its obligations and the debt ceiling crisis could theoretically be extended indefinitely without default.

-Username17
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

FrankTrollman wrote:That is where the Treasury Department cuts a deal with some amount of the creditors of the United States Government where instead of giving them dollars from the treasury, they get IOUs that say "The President promises to give you X amount of dollars as soon as Congress gets its act together and puts money in the treasury again".
Is the Treasury authorized to sweeten the deal of IOUs with bounties or interest payments? If this is allowed then it's actually a really clever way to do stimulus -- but since it's also obviously a form of non-Congressional debt, I can see the judiciary readily cockblocking anything but a zero-interest IOU.

My greatest hope is that the US government realizes that when all is said and done the country is monetarily sovereign. I'm not particularly attached to the platinum coin, but I DO want the politicians and punditry to stop frickin' acting like the country is on the gold standard.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.