Does vocal atheist = sexist? (And the Rebecca Watson debate)

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

ishy wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:History has shown that when architects make things for the privileged and the unprivileged, they do tend to skimp a bit on the things made for the unprivileged. The women's elevator is not going to go directly from the lobby to the rooms, because that is where the manavator goes. Just as black people in the fifties didn't get equal schools, equal water fountains, or equal seating in restaurants, if we segregate things for women they will not be equal.

-Username17
So which are better, female or male restrooms?
Personally, I rarely go into women's restrooms, so anecdotally most of my personal "disgusting restroom" stories are of men's bathrooms. However, just looking at the lines to get into restrooms tells me that it is completely routine to make female restrooms which are grossly inadequate to actual needs.

There are various excuses given of course. It is objectively true that urinals are more efficient in terms of time and space than stalls are, and more men can pee in an amount of time over the same square meterage than women can. But regardless, it is also objectively true that is extremely common for theaters, restaurants, and stadiums to provide adequate men's toilet services and inadequate women's toilets.

And if you think that a world with men's and women's elevators wouldn't have adequate elevators for men and inadequate elevators for women, your fantasy world is itself in a fantasy world.

-Username17
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I've done some cleaning of public bathrooms in my life, and it was my experience that the men's bathrooms were grosser. The urinals frequently required those deodorizing tablets because the urine stench was overwhelming, and there were lots of "misses" to clean up. Women's bathrooms tended to have more problems with paper - scraps of toilet paper, paper towels, wrappers, etc...

My favorite bathrooms tend to be unisex stalls or family bathrooms. They're almost always cleaner, less stinky, and very little paper strewn about.
Last edited by Maj on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

[url=http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/fired-black-exec-bp-told-her-dashiki-made-colleagues-uncomfortable-lawsuit-says wrote:BP[/url]]You intimidate and make your colleagues uncomfortable by wearing ethnic clothing and ethnic hairstyles. If you are going to wear ethnic clothing, you should alert people in advance that you will be wearing something ethnic.
Concise Locket
Apprentice

Post by Concise Locket »

Male and female restrooms run an equal risk of filth though with tampons and sanitary napkins in the mix, women's restrooms run a higher risk of clogging and plumbing damage. Check out the London sewer that required a robot to remove literally 15 tons of fat and lady things.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

As a person who cleaned restrooms for many years in my former job it was a staff recognized fact that women's restrooms are much worse. It was a consistent joke floated around about how women seemed cleanlier outside of the bathroom just so they could annihilate the bathroom with anonymity.

I will declare with no pride but considerable confidence that it is very likely that I have the most poop-room cleaning experience of anyone likely to post in this thread.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I'm just going to say that this aside about the quality of bathrooms is stupid and beside the point.

Yes, right now there is some whatever the fuck equality of bathrooms, but that is because the government passed laws that regulate the quality of bathrooms is like, all the buildings, and mandated the equality, and then they have a department that does inspections and shit, to make sure things are up to standards. But before the government incesting a significant amount of resources in forcing equality, many universities specifically had approximately 3-5 male bathrooms for every one female. Because fuck women.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.