Role Playing in Avatar.

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Saxony
Master

Post by Saxony »

Perhaps Amon would take away Korra's bending before she got air bending, and thus if she learned it, she would have bending again. It's taking quite a while for Korra to learn air bending any way....
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

The Avatar is supposed to learn the four bendings in a specific order, the same order that they reincarnate in. Since the last Avatar was an airbender, the current one is supposed to learn airbending last.
Saxony
Master

Post by Saxony »

I was referring to the fact that the show is only one season long and Korra has not yet air bended once. She did know all other three types as a toddler. Thus.... it's taking a while.
Last edited by Saxony on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Korra also hasn't gone into avatar state once. I'm guessin' that air bending is more spiritual than other forms of bending and for some reason Korra has some kind of spiritual block, probably because of her nature so that could be holding it up.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Saxony wrote:I was referring to the fact that the show is only one season long and Korra has not yet air bended once. She did know all other three types as a toddler. Thus.... it's taking a while.
It is two seasons long. 26 episodes were commissioned. This first season ends at the end of this month, but there'll be another segment after that. They're doing half-seasons like more and more cable shows have started doing.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I'm actually quite disappointed in the show at this point. Korra has accomplished almost nothing and has very little stature. I really have started rooting for Amon because at least he has a clear agenda and gets shit done. Also, he actually defeated a bad guy.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

MGuy wrote:Korra also hasn't gone into avatar state once. I'm guessin' that air bending is more spiritual than other forms of bending and for some reason Korra has some kind of spiritual block, probably because of her nature so that could be holding it up.
She has too much hair. Airbenders gotta feel th' wind on their scalp
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Has anyone read those the Promise comics? Apparently Zuko turns bad again or something?
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Tumbling Down
Journeyman

Post by Tumbling Down »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:Has anyone read those the Promise comics? Apparently Zuko turns bad again or something?
Well, I read the first part. But from what I saw, it's somewhat less "bad" and rather more "full retard". Because despite being a firebender, Zuko apparently has water in the brain.

Basically, he has problems getting everyone to kiss and make up; maybe because the earthdudes are actually trying to kill him, because he isn't oppressing them enough. Or something. I didn't really get that part.
Anyway, Zuko's brilliant solution to his problems with everyone hating each other and threatening war etc. is to beg advice from... Ozai. Seriously.
I mean hey, nationalism and intolerance putting hair on your cake? who you gonna call? Adolf Fucking Hitler, right? He'll straighten the fuck out of shit.

Ultimately though, I'll have to admit that I was kind of drunk and kind of tired when I read the thing, and I could have gotten everything wrong. Also, the thing that griped me the most was actually Katara and Aang's slightly cringeworthy and borderline-fanfic-esque dialogue.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Wait, Ozai? The father Zuko's entire character arc hinged around rejecting? The fuck?
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:I'm actually quite disappointed in the show at this point. Korra has accomplished almost nothing and has very little stature. I really have started rooting for Amon because at least he has a clear agenda and gets shit done. Also, he actually defeated a bad guy.
Personally, I like the show...but I would be getting pissed off as a player in the campaign. I mean "heroes beat up mooks in first fight of the episode, but then lose to named characters in the second fight every episode" is getting pretty old.

But based on that structure and the teaser and the fact that book 2 is entitled "Spirit" my guess is that in tomorrow's season finale, Amon is going to succeed in removing Korra's bending and the second book is going to be her regaining it.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Josh_Kablack wrote:
angelfromanotherpin wrote:I'm actually quite disappointed in the show at this point. Korra has accomplished almost nothing and has very little stature. I really have started rooting for Amon because at least he has a clear agenda and gets shit done. Also, he actually defeated a bad guy.
Personally, I like the show...but I would be getting pissed off as a player in the campaign. I mean "heroes beat up mooks in first fight of the episode, but then lose to named characters in the second fight every episode" is getting pretty old.

But based on that structure and the teaser and the fact that book 2 is entitled "Spirit" my guess is that in tomorrow's season finale, Amon is going to succeed in removing Korra's bending and the second book is going to be her regaining it.
Well you're half right.
Saxony
Master

Post by Saxony »

Lokathor wrote:
Saxony wrote:I was referring to the fact that the show is only one season long and Korra has not yet air bended once. She did know all other three types as a toddler. Thus.... it's taking a while.
It is two seasons long. 26 episodes were commissioned. This first season ends at the end of this month, but there'll be another segment after that. They're doing half-seasons like more and more cable shows have started doing.
No way? Thanks for letting me know.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

So, um...what's left for the next season?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

CapnTthePirateG wrote:So, um...what's left for the next season?
Major spoilers:
Yeah, I mean, I guess they have to invent a new plot? Certainly Amon can come back, he could have survived that, but still.

Frankly, I felt the whole finale seemed kind of rushed. Everything Amon did after the reveal seemed out of character.

And the part where Korra took like a week to get her bending back, I feel legitimately fucking pissed. She should have had to spend half of next season as an Airbender who spent a lot of time trying to Master Energy Bending. Not just get it in like six seconds when she felt bad with no work at all. Fucking bullshit.

And of course, the Asani thing was just swept under the rug in seconds because Korra felt bad, and that's also bullshit, but compared to Aang showing up to heal her in six seconds without her having to do any work, that's a minor deal.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Spoilers:
I agree on that one. Whipping off his mask at the rally? Bending like that? Although I thought "psychic bloodbending" was kinda bullshit, IMO. Energybending would have worked better, because the finale completely destroyed Amon as a viable villain.

And yeah, Korra definitely should have needed more time to master Energybending. Especially because AFAIK, Aang didn't know how to restore powers.

Whatever.
Saxony
Master

Post by Saxony »

Any news on when the next season starts?

Spoilers:
So it seems like everyone called it in some way or another.

I'll agree the finale seemed a bit rushed. Perhaps the show is having difficulties.

And I also agree many things got wrapped up... but eh. That just means the next season is more open. The equalist conflict really didn't have much more steam in it any way. Maybe another season... probably not. In my opinion, spending the first half of the next season for Korra to get bending back might have been annoying, but instantly wrapping it up any way was also somewhat annoying.
Also, I feel pretty satisfied with how the new season turned out.
Last edited by Saxony on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Bryan wrote:Book 2 is happening, and is 14 episodes long. No, I don’t know when it comes out. REALLY, I DON’T. But no, it won’t be another two years from now, as we are already in production on it (that’s the brutal thing about TV, the schedule overlap). So all I can say, and it is the honest truth, is that we’re working really hard on it!
The final episode seems to have like an entire episode's worth of continuity (at least) crammed into about a minute and a half at the end. I suspect scheduling bullshit, because the show is 26 episodes, and 12 of them are in the first season and 14 of them are in the second season. I'd bet a dollar that the final episode was storyboarded as two episodes and got condensed when for whatever reason the 13th episode got shifted to season 2.

Anyway, gaming in the Avatar universe the tactical combat is clearly zone oriented. In Pro-Bending you're zones are literally called "zones" in-character. The advent of cars and planes is such that if you are in a moving zone, people who are on foot have one opportunity to either grab their own plane/motorcycle/satomobile or stunt themselves onto your vehicle. If they don't do either of those things, you get away.

Vehicle chases continue until one side or the other stunts or attacks the other guy into a wreck.

-Username17
K
King

Post by K »

Spoilers:
So it seems like everyone called it in some way or another.
Except me. I totally did not expect them to invent a super-secret bullshit Water-bending method to take bending powers instead of using the already-existing super-secret bullshit method.

I also did not expect Amon to be removed so tritely. You literally find out his backstory in one episode and then he's defeated in the next.

At that point, I didn't even blink an eye when Korra got back her powers almost immediately. She didn't have her power taken by heart-bending, so it makes sense that some high-end application of Water-bending healing would be enough to fix the damage caused by Water-bending.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Water bending can mess with chakra, as evidenced with their healing techniques. Chi-blocking is an established method of breaking someone's connection to their bending abilities, something even non-benders can do, even if only temporary. The idea that the two create synergy and can do permanent chi-blocking seems logical and fits within their own rules. The fact it takes an extremely powerful water-bender to do so is the weirdest part.

They never showed any kind of spirit-based events or hints, which is what should've happened were he a true bender-bender. They gave at least one hint he was a water bender when they showed him resisting Tarlokk's blood-bending.

Amon's defeat was a little fast-paced, but only by about an episode.

Even were her powers taken away by bending-bending instead of hybridized chi-blocking/water-bending, unless that also took away her connection to the Avatar line, I don't see why Aang couldn't fix it anyway.
Last edited by virgil on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Spoilers:
Yeah, I would hazard to say that blood bending based bending removal is more about cutting off the blood flow to whatever allows bending, like chakras actually have physical correspondences or something, since he is touching the third eye or crown chakra. So some part of the brain governs bending, and Amon just used blood bending to cut off blood flow to that part, which makes it really easy to reverse.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

-Username17
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Prak_Anima wrote:Spoilers:
Yeah, I would hazard to say that blood bending based bending removal is more about cutting off the blood flow to whatever allows bending, like chakras actually have physical correspondences or something, since he is touching the third eye or crown chakra. So some part of the brain governs bending, and Amon just used blood bending to cut off blood flow to that part, which makes it really easy to reverse.
I do wonder whether he could use his blood bending to do chi-blocking from a distance. If so, it would've been an awesome trick to blood bend someone and move their own hands into position to make it look they took away their own bending.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

virgil wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:Spoilers:
I do wonder whether he could use his blood bending to do chi-blocking from a distance. If so, it would've been an awesome trick to blood bend someone and move their own hands into position to make it look they took away their own bending.
For that matter, he could just blood bend someone to make them actually take away their own bending through chi-blocking. Which is totally the kind of dick move I'd do as a blood bender who knew how to chi block.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

I don't think you can blood bend to force another to activate their own bending. It's not just the physical motions that do the bending, it's a mental/willpower component as well, which blood bending clearly doesn't control, because Aang and Sokka were yelling out what they were doing to Katara as they were forced to attack her.