Take 10/20 hate

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

CCarter wrote: However...as noted I don't really like Take-10 (I haven't actually houseruled it, it just irks me in play sometimes). Unlike take-20, a take-10 does actually change the odds of passing a check...sometimes a check that I think is "significant" (jumping chasms or whatnot). And, I'm not sure Take-10 isn't just punishing players who like to roll dice (here, have a 5% to 45% chance of failure for not knowing you should be Taking 10 on this check).
That's the whole point. Taking 10 is supposed to represent playing it safe or taking it easy which makes sense in many real-life situations, like swimming or jumping. If I'm casually swimming in a pool, I don't start to spontaneously drown 5% of the time, for instance, but I might if I was being chased by a shark.
CCarter
Knight

Post by CCarter »

5% spontaneous drownings don't occur if you have a big enough bonus (or a lower DC), as skills don't fail automatically on a natural 1, unlike attacks and saves.

Swim is really rough though - any fail by 5 means you sink, and the DC for calm water is 10. Possibly they made the DC so high because they assumed a character would Take-10 when they wrote the DCs.

As is, with Take-10, a character put in calm water who has a -1 penalty will probably drown (25% chance of failing by 5/sinking, 30% chance they can't move; repeat every round until dead or they hit land), but a character with a +0 modifier is totally safe. I'm not sure sure if that's reasonable.

I were trying to completely fix the system, I'd go with perhaps a DC 5 for calm water (so you can't fail by 5 and go underwater without having a penalty), and give characters the option of "speed swimming" at -5 (something they'd probably do if chased by sharks).

Also in general: I thought some more over my take-10 objections and I just think Take-10 is too big a bonus. A character rolling their d20 has a minimum roll of 1, while a take-10 gives you a 10. Which is the same as saying "if you're not stressed or distracted, have a +9 bonus to the check". Which seems like alot.
Sashi
Knight-Baron

Post by Sashi »

A character with a -1 penalty to swim can take 10 to flail in place without moving perfectly safely, it's only when that character wants to turn his flailing into movement that he starts risking trouble.

Which is a lot like teaching someone to swim, actually.