Transgender
2%

Total votes: 83

Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Here's the DSM IV criteria:
DSM-IV Substance Abuse Criteria

Substance abuse is defined as a maladaptive pattern of substance use leading to clinically significant impairment or distress as manifested by one (or more) of the following, occurring within a 12-month period:

Recurrent substance use resulting in a failure to fulfill major role obligations at work, school, or home (such as repeated absences or poor work performance related to substance use; substance-related absences, suspensions, or expulsions from school; or neglect of children or household).

Recurrent substance use in situations in which it is physically hazardous (such as driving an automobile or operating a machine when impaired by substance use)

Recurrent substance-related legal problems (such as arrests for substance related disorderly conduct)

Continued substance use despite having persistent or recurrent social or interpersonal problems caused or exacerbated by the effects of the substance (for example, arguments with spouse about consequences of intoxication and physical fights).

Note: The symptoms for abuse have never met the criteria for dependence for this class of substance. According to the DSM-IV, a person can be abusing a substance or dependent on a substance but not both at the same time.

DSM-IV Substance Dependence Criteria

Substance dependence is defined as a maladaptive pattern of substance use leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by three (or more) of the following, occurring any time in the same 12-month period:

Tolerance, as defined by either of the following: (a) A need for markedly increased amounts of the substance to achieve intoxication or the desired effect or (b) Markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of the substance.

Withdrawal, as manifested by either of the following: (a) The characteristic withdrawal syndrome for the substance or (b) The same (or closely related) substance is taken to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms.

The substance is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than intended.

There is a persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control substance use.

A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain the substance, use the substance, or recover from its effects.

Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of substance use.

The substance use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by the substance (for example, current cocaine use despite recognition of cocaine-induced depression or continued drinking despite recognition that an ulcer was made worse by alcohol consumption).

American Psychiatric Association. 1994. Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-IV. Washington D.C.: American Psychiatric Association. (pp. 181-183)
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Psychic Robot wrote:as tongue-in-cheek as that article is, I agree with it completely. gay pride parades are a huge embarrassment imo.
As much as that piece works on an "it's funny because it's true" level, I'd like to ask if you have similar feelings about events like Spring Break in Daytona Beach ?
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

My only complaint about Spring Break is that I never got to go...
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

As much as that piece works on an "it's funny because it's true" level, I'd like to ask if you have similar feelings about events like Spring Break in Daytona Beach ?
glorifying social dysfunction and hedonism is bad no matter the source
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Hedonism is awesome. If I had the money to be a hedonist, I would totally be one. Unfortunately, my current situation demands austerity (because no matter how much I like booze, food, and sex, I like having a dry place to sleep even more).
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

In my not so humble opinion, one of the problems of "gay pride" parades is that they tend to have a significant amount of resources not on "gay pride" but on "gay bashing hate." Attempts to mock those who don't agree with you tend to fall flat, even if coated with humor (and especially when coated with humor).

Having written that, I have no problems with wild celebrations of the joy of wearing body paint instead of clothing, or even bizzare costumes. (The "Manly" version of this, by the way, can be found among various biker chicks.) Probably a good example of an over the top parade eone right is the Coney Island Mermaid Parade (photos). Also the Fantasy Fest (2010 photos) in Key West is almost always postive.