Wish Economy

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Swordslinger wrote:Because you can still buy/create components to make magic items with wealth, you can still damn well make whatever you want.
That costs experience and time. Currently, anyway. You can't wave your hands and get major magic items out of thin air. Gold was never the limit, people cared about experience.
Swordslinger wrote:Why not just set it up so the regular economy works?
Alright. You're completely right. We need to design an economy that fulfills these three goals.
1) Mundane items like turnips, cows, weapons and armor, stables, and castles are purchased with gold.
2) Super powerful magic items like +10 swords and +10 armor are purchased with gold.
3) It stops people from taking mundane items and turning them into super powerful magic items.

Spoiler: there's a contradiction there. An obvious one. Like, super hilariously fucking obvious. As in, you literally cannot accomplish all three of those goals at once, it is mathematically impossible.

And no, changing the scale is not a solution. Multiplying the cost for magic items by 10 doesn't actually fix anything, it just means either A) the players get less when they finally break your stupid economy, or B) players have to do more before they break it. Either way, they can still break it pretty much anytime they want.

The only real solution to that is drop 2 or 3. Dropping 3 means people will live like massive misers and hoarders and loot and pillage your campaign world in exchange for power, which is stupid. Dropping 2 means you need a new currency for super powerful magic items (because high level characters DO trade their spare high level magic items, and there needs to be some unit of measurement for that, and it needs to be something you can't get out of the gold economy).

The wish economy drops 2.
Swordslinger wrote:So why not just be careful what you put in your quests.
We've had this discussion. It requires these three things to hold true.
1) The people who design the D&D economy do the math rigorously such that WBL is not broken.
2) The people who design D&D adventures consider every possible avenue that players may profit off their adventure, and balance it all to within WBL.
3) The people who DM are super-geniuses who account for every move their players might make beforehand, and balance it all by WBL.

If you can't tell the problem here, I'll point it out to you: it requires that everyone involved have prophetic foresight. I don't know about you, but I like systems that don't break down the second a writer or a DM fails to be omniscient. Your 'simple solution' is 'be able to 100% predict everything the players will do, and do rigorous, flawless mathematics to get it to a value within WBL.' Good luck with that, I'm going to try a different approach. Something humanly possible.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

All kinds of solutions seem simple when you have infinity on your side.
K
King

Post by K »

Swordslinger wrote: Because you can still buy/create components to make magic items with wealth, you can still damn well make whatever you want. The only one getting hosed in this whole deal is the fighter, because he can no longer buy anything. The wish economy makes magic item creation feats crazy powerful (because gold is no longer a limit) and screws anyone that can't make their own.
Under the Wish economy, you can't buy components for items bigger than 15K with gold since those components are planar currency or XP (and things like Liquid Pain and souls get reclassified as planar currency and so only function in the Wish economy as planar currency). We may have not spelled that out explicitly in the Tomes, but I thought it was pretty clearly implied by the text.

On another note, I don't really understand the resistance to the Wish Economy. It's like three rules that completely streamlines and fixes the DnD economy and makes it a lot more playable and solves a lot of problems.

On a third note, the problem with castles is not that they are too expensive in standard DnD. The problem is that paying in gold at all for a castle in DnD is less magical power for your character regardless of the scale of magic items. In that same vein, sleeping in inns and paying for food is a drain on your character power, so players in standard DnD don't do it.

Heck, even a free castle is too expensive since owning one involves paying for guards and furnishing it and possibly paying taxes to a king.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Swordslinger wrote:So why not just be careful what you put in your quests.
I think a lot of DMs think they can do this. I've been lucky as a DM because my players only tend to go for obvious wealth. At low levels, they'll loot the shit out of dropped weapons and armor because they likely combine to more wealth than the coins carried on all the dead goblins or whatever. Still, I've had it pretty easy.

Still, I've read all kinds of stories from DMs of the things their players try. One DM got sick of a player using an adamantine sword to bypass every locked door, so he put them up against adamantine doors (dun dun dun)! What he didn't expect was for the PCs to remove and sell the doors because adamantine is expensive as hell. Even if he only let them sell them for 10% of the value, they were probably still worth more than everything else they'd find that adventure, and they still trivially bypassed his speshul doors.

DSMatticus already covered this in depth, but it bears repeating: as a DM, you probably can't routinely outsmart four other people who are incentivized to outsmart you.
Swordslinger
Knight-Baron

Post by Swordslinger »

DSMatticus wrote: That costs experience and time. Currently, anyway. You can't wave your hands and get major magic items out of thin air. Gold was never the limit, people cared about experience.
Not sure about the games you've been playing, but in my games the XP cost was always a drop in a bucket, and the system actually made sure you caught up anyway by paying low level characters more XP.

XP was really never a huge issue.
1) Mundane items like turnips, cows, weapons and armor, stables, and castles are purchased with gold.
2) Super powerful magic items like +10 swords and +10 armor are purchased with gold.
3) It stops people from taking mundane items and turning them into super powerful magic items.

Spoiler: there's a contradiction there. An obvious one. Like, super hilariously fucking obvious. As in, you literally cannot accomplish all three of those goals at once, it is mathematically impossible.
Well, you can't produce 3, as it's written, but it's not a goal you even need to meet. There is some huge amount of turnips and cows that would buy you a +10 sword, but it should be such a massive number that you don't even care. It might as well be infinity because it's not a feasable goal. There's a finite number of hours I could work at Walmart to afford an F-15 fighter jet too, but it probably won't be within my lifetime and would be so inefficient it's not really considered possible. It's just not a big deal.

Not to mention that in a D&D economy, unlike the modern economy, when you start stockpiling you open yourself up to theft. So if for whatever reason, Tom the turnip merchant started saving up a ton of his profits by living like a miser, someone is going to hear about his stash of 500 gold and gank him for it. That's what bandits and robbers do.
And no, changing the scale is not a solution. Multiplying the cost for magic items by 10 doesn't actually fix anything, it just means either A) the players get less when they finally break your stupid economy, or B) players have to do more before they break it. Either way, they can still break it pretty much anytime they want.
Basically my solution would be taking trade goods, like iron, stone, etc. and put them in copper peices. Jewelry and such would net you 1- 100gp. Castles and keeps would be around 5000. Magic item prices would probably start around 1000-10000 for the weakest crap and tier steeply into the multi-millions or even billions.
We've had this discussion. It requires these three things to hold true.
1) The people who design the D&D economy do the math rigorously such that WBL is not broken.
2) The people who design D&D adventures consider every possible avenue that players may profit off their adventure, and balance it all to within WBL.
3) The people who DM are super-geniuses who account for every move their players might make beforehand, and balance it all by WBL.
It doesn't actively take a super genius, just some care (and a little Gygaxian mentality). If you want a super hardened door, then have it just operate as such while within the confines of the area it's in via some protective ritual of hardening (which you could very well just include in your spell lists if you want). Honestly though, I always found the adamantine door a silly example anyway because players could just hack through the wall, or probably could damage an adamantine door regardless with a power attack. 3Es object damage rules were so lax, you couldn't ever create an indestructible material.
If you can't tell the problem here, I'll point it out to you: it requires that everyone involved have prophetic foresight. I don't know about you, but I like systems that don't break down the second a writer or a DM fails to be omniscient. Your 'simple solution' is 'be able to 100% predict everything the players will do, and do rigorous, flawless mathematics to get it to a value within WBL.' Good luck with that, I'm going to try a different approach. Something humanly possible.
You don't need to be 100% spot on with your WBL, that's silly. We're talking ballpark values. If you're off 10% one way, it's not even going to matter much. And you just set up your pricing table such that structures, art items and decorations aren't worth all that much. It's not that they can't take that statue of the dwarf king and sell it, it's just that the thing is hardly worth anything compared to the regular treasure they're getting. Greyhawking may net them only a 1 or 2% increase in their profits to the point that most PCs won't even bother with the aggravation.

The other easy way to handle economic breaking tactics like that is the same way MMOs do, namely to make the player go through a bunch of tedium to get it done. You make him record each and everything he's taking from the dungeon then you worry about pricing it and selling it individually. After wasting 4 hours to make 50 gold, a bunch of players may just decide it's not a worthy investment of their time and they could have knocked over another ogre fortress to gain another 4000 gold in the same time.
K wrote: On a third note, the problem with castles is not that they are too expensive in standard DnD. The problem is that paying in gold at all for a castle in DnD is less magical power for your character regardless of the scale of magic items. In that same vein, sleeping in inns and paying for food is a drain on your character power, so players in standard DnD don't do it.
That doesn't hold true though. MMOs follow the same basic rules, but people in MMOs do end up fucking around and buying a bunch of booze to get drunk or basically throwing away EVE spaceships on mock battles or what not. If the price is negligible enough, PCs will buy some luxuries.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

K wrote:
On a third note, the problem with castles is not that they are too expensive in standard DnD. The problem is that paying in gold at all for a castle in DnD is less magical power for your character regardless of the scale of magic items. In that same vein, sleeping in inns and paying for food is a drain on your character power, so players in standard DnD don't do it.

Heck, even a free castle is too expensive since owning one involves paying for guards and furnishing it and possibly paying taxes to a king.
That is also a problem I wrestled with as a DM. My players resist Wish Economy, but work their asses off to break WPL instead. I... don't understand the logic.

Also, wealth is like skills: any single point/gp spent in a way that doesn't increase your combat abilities makes you weaker. And that's lame. I've given my players several boats and castles and they sell all of them rather than have a cool base of operations for that reason.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:
Swordslinger wrote:Is there any reason we really want to keep the wish economy?
Encouraging PCs not to strip the gold leaf off the walls of temples in the Lost City in order to get marginally closer to another plus to one of their swords seems a pretty laudable goal to me.
Then make a +1 to your sword cost a zillion times one temple's worth of gold leaf. Problem solved; then looting to that level would be about as constructive a use of the PCs' time as it would be for Bill Gates to scrounge for empty soda cans on the side of the road.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Swordslinger wrote:There is some huge amount of turnips and cows that would buy you a +10 sword, but it should be such a massive number that you don't even care.
No, this implies a lot more than you think it does. This implies there is some amount of X that equals a +10 sword for all X. Whatever X may be. Turnips, cows, horses, stone, precious metals, baskets, etcetera, etcetera.

And this means that as a DM, you don't just have to worry about not putting a million GP worth of turnips in some place, you have to worry about not putting a million GP worth of anything the PC's could potentially sell in any place they could possibly reach it.

Like I said, this requires total and complete omniscience on the part of D&D designers, adventure designers, and DM's. If you can't see why that's a flawed idea, you are insane. If a requirement of your system, before it breaks down, is that, "everyone has to outsmart the players at every turn," it's going to fail miserably and you should stop suggesting it as though it had any real weight to it.
Swordslinger wrote:It doesn't actively take a super genius, just some care
Yes, it does. Everything in D&D land has some value, even if only as a raw component. You need to be able to account for what happens to WBL if players stop and sell it, or else the players will notice something and catch you off guard, and they will break WBL open and you will weep, or you will be a Gygaxian asshole about it and make a dick of yourself. One of the two will happen.
Swordslinger wrote:We're talking ballpark values.
Ballpark the value of building materials in the castle the players just looted. This 'ballpark' is going to involve a calculation of value per weight, density of material, and volume. Being off by a factor of 10 means shitting all over WBL.
Swordslinger wrote:The other easy way to handle economic breaking tactics like that is the same way MMOs do, namely to make the player go through a bunch of tedium to get it done.
That is a horrible idea, a horrible playstyle, and you should feel bad for calling that a 'solution' at all. "Oh yeah? You think you can break my game, you little bastard? Get out your pen and paper, because I'm going to logistics you to death. Teach you to try and fucking do something the rules say you can do."
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Gold leaf? I'm rolling on the floor laughing out loud. Time to do the google search, 1,000 leaves, 79 sq ft, 23 grams.

23 grams = .05 lbs = 2.5 gp

That gives us 31.6 gp per 1,000 sq feet.

Let's put this into perspective. Let's cover a wall the size of the Taj Mahal (186' x 200') = 37,200 sq ft = 1,177 gp

So basically you just guilded a square temple the size of the Taj and you have ... what ... less than 5K in gold out of it?

Yes, rolling on the floor, laughing out loud.

Let them eat cake. Gold foil cake ... it's a French delicacy. :tongue:
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

tzor wrote:Gold leaf? I'm rolling on the floor laughing out loud. Time to do the google search, 1,000 leaves, 79 sq ft, 23 grams.
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around 1 million gold pieces' worth of turnips.

Let's see...1,000,000 coins divided by 50 coins to the pound divided by 2.2 pounds/kilo times $50,000 per kilo is about $454 million USD, and let's say turnips are $2/lb., that's over 200 million pounds of turnips. I agree that you wouldn't want to accidentally drop that somewhere...
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Swordslinger wrote:Basically my solution would be taking trade goods, like iron, stone, etc. and put them in copper peices. Jewelry and such would net you 1- 100gp. Castles and keeps would be around 5000. Magic item prices would probably start around 1000-10000 for the weakest crap and tier steeply into the multi-millions or even billions.
So you're making magic items incredibly rare? As in, some random orcs would never have them, probably not even a general of an army would, maybe the ruler of a large enough empire might have a few. That's pretty different than the standard setting, but ok, we'll run with ...
Swordslinger wrote:After wasting 4 hours to make 50 gold, a bunch of players may just decide it's not a worthy investment of their time and they could have knocked over another ogre fortress to gain another 4000 gold in the same time.
Oh wait, you're just being totally inconsistent. How the fuck did some ogres get enough gold to buy a castle? In fact, how does anyone the PCs are fighting even afford magic stuff at all? If the Dread Necromancer has enough gold to equip his troops with magic weapons, he has enough to just take over any kingdom he wants economically.

And actually, assuming magic items still have the same effects they do now, you've just shifted the line in the other direction. Instead of being stupid to spend gold on anything except magic items, it becomes stupid to spend gold on them. +2 sword? Sure, you could keep that, and it's +10% bonus to hit ... or you could buy an entire fucking mercenary army, including siege equipment.
Last edited by Ice9 on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Ice9 wrote: In fact, how does anyone the PCs are fighting even afford magic stuff at all? If the Dread Necromancer has enough gold to equip his troops with magic weapons, he has enough to just take over any kingdom he wants economically.
For the purposes of this thread, we're talking about 15,000+ gp magic items, correct? In that case, I would agree that if a person can afford to equip his troops with +3 swords, then he can pretty much afford to buy any mundane stuff he wants. (That goes for the regular D&D economy, or the "Wish economy", or pretty much any economy you can think of.)
Last edited by hogarth on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Yeah, turnips are a totally fair comparison. There's no need to consider precious metals or stones that the DM's will actually use and actually have value comparable to gold. Those sorts of examples would be witchcraft and heresy. Everything in my campaign world is made out of turnips. I have turnip blankets, turnip swords, turnip horses, turnip castles, turnip siege weapons...

Not to mention, the point still stands that buying turnips reduces character power. As in, every X number of turnips you buy is a notable reduction of your strength. Which is stupid. And it actually becomes mathematically significant when you stop talking about turnips, and start talking about, say, buying a house. Or god forbid a castle. PC's will simply never buy those things as long as they care about gold.

And the wish economy fixes this, by stopping PC's from caring about gold by handing out cheap magic items for free. That frees up gold to go for miscellaneous fun shit, instead of punishing characters for spending gold on something other than making themself more awesome.
Hogarth wrote:In that case, I would agree that if a person can afford to equip his troops with +3 swords, then he can pretty much afford to buy any mundane stuff he wants.
No, that wasn't his point. His point was that if you inflate the scale so that magic items go up in value super-rapidly, having a single +3 sword means you probably have enough money to buy every single castle in the world.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Swordslinger
Knight-Baron

Post by Swordslinger »

Ice9 wrote:So you're making magic items incredibly rare? As in, some random orcs would never have them, probably not even a general of an army would, maybe the ruler of a large enough empire might have a few. That's pretty different than the standard setting, but ok, we'll run with ...
No just expensive relative to nonmagical goods.
Oh wait, you're just being totally inconsistent. How the fuck did some ogres get enough gold to buy a castle? In fact, how does anyone the PCs are fighting even afford magic stuff at all? If the Dread Necromancer has enough gold to equip his troops with magic weapons, he has enough to just take over any kingdom he wants economically.
Not really, no, because a kingdom in D&D isn't low level troops and castles, it's the king who runs it who has lots of magic gear and high level followers. You could have enough money to outfit a little army of low level peasants but nobody cares because the king and his court wizard could take them out singlehandedly.
And actually, assuming magic items still have the same effects they do now, you've just shifted the line in the other direction. Instead of being stupid to spend gold on anything except magic items, it becomes stupid to spend gold on them. +2 sword? Sure, you could keep that, and it's +10% bonus to hit ... or you could buy an entire fucking mercenary army, including siege equipment.
And the mercenary army of low level guys would suck. We've already established that D&D armies are awful. Buying the services of someone experienced would be very expensive, since you're paying people who expect to use that cash to buy magic items. But yeah, low level grunts are a dime a dozen, but nobody cares because they don't do much either, and paying to feed them, house them and otherwise support their equipment is going to be a constant drain on resources.
Last edited by Swordslinger on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norms29
Master

Post by norms29 »

Swordslinger wrote:
Ice9 wrote:So you're making magic items incredibly rare? As in, some random orcs would never have them, probably not even a general of an army would, maybe the ruler of a large enough empire might have a few. That's pretty different than the standard setting, but ok, we'll run with ...
No just expensive relative to nonmagical goods.
and you intend to raise the price without altering the supply? so what exactly are you changing in the setting to Increase Demand?

more NPC adventurers running around in the background??
After all, when you climb Mt. Kon Foo Sing to fight Grand Master Hung Lo and prove that your "Squirrel Chases the Jam-Coated Tiger" style is better than his "Dead Cockroach Flails Legs" style, you unleash a bunch of your SCtJCT moves, not wait for him to launch DCFL attacks and then just sit there and parry all day. And you certainly don't, having been kicked about, then say "Well you served me shitty tea before our battle" and go home.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Swordslinger wrote:No just expensive relative to nonmagical goods.
You're missing the point. If a +3 sword can buy a 100 castles, the average person is going to trade in that +3 sword for a small kingdom and retire to a life of luxury.

If you bump into a bandit chief with a +3 sword, that would be weird as fucking hell, because that guy could sell his +3 sword and never have to bandit anything again. D&D's economy already has this problem to some extent, but this would make it a 100 times worse.
Swordslinger
Knight-Baron

Post by Swordslinger »

DSMatticus wrote: You're missing the point. If a +3 sword can buy a 100 castles, the average person is going to trade in that +3 sword for a small kingdom and retire to a life of luxury.

If you bump into a bandit chief with a +3 sword, that would be weird as fucking hell, because that guy could sell his +3 sword and never have to bandit anything again. D&D's economy already has this problem to some extent, but this would make it a 100 times worse.
But maybe then he can't stop someone from stealing his gold because he sold his powerful weapons. In D&D, you can't necessarily count on the guards to handle things for you. It's a constant state of war, and yeah defense spending is paramount. You could have money for 100 guys to live like kings if you sold an aircraft carrier, but you need that for military operations.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

DSMatticus wrote:No, that wasn't his point. His point was that if you inflate the scale so that magic items go up in value super-rapidly, having a single +3 sword means you probably have enough money to buy every single castle in the world.
Note that that's the basic fucking premise of the Wish economy; people who are tough enough have all the money in the world.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

hogarth wrote:
Avoraciopoctules wrote:
Swordslinger wrote:Is there any reason we really want to keep the wish economy?
Encouraging PCs not to strip the gold leaf off the walls of temples in the Lost City in order to get marginally closer to another plus to one of their swords seems a pretty laudable goal to me.
Then make a +1 to your sword cost a zillion times one temple's worth of gold leaf. Problem solved; then looting to that level would be about as constructive a use of the PCs' time as it would be for Bill Gates to scrounge for empty soda cans on the side of the road.
Then we run into the other side of the problem. Adventurers find a +1 sword. Then they sell it for a fraction of its value and retire on the proceeds. Adventures give a +1 sword to a mercenary army in order to get it to clear out the dungeon for them. Adventurers mention they have a +2 sword, and everyone else in the country drops what they were doing to try stealing it.
Novembermike
Master

Post by Novembermike »

DSMatticus wrote:
Swordslinger wrote:No just expensive relative to nonmagical goods.
You're missing the point. If a +3 sword can buy a 100 castles, the average person is going to trade in that +3 sword for a small kingdom and retire to a life of luxury.
Who the fuck is going to trade their kingdom for a +3 sword? Even if it's theoretically worth that much, it's not like you can liquidate it easily.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Swordslinger wrote:But maybe then he can't stop someone from stealing his gold because he sold his powerful weapons. In D&D, you can't necessarily count on the guards to handle things for you. It's a constant state of war, and yeah defense spending is paramount. You could have money for 100 guys to live like kings if you sold an aircraft carrier, but you need that for military operations.
But we're talking +1 to +3 swords here - and those just aren't that good. You can hype it up all you want, but at the end of the day, a +1 sword is just +1 to hit, +1 to damage. A mercenary army is actually significantly better than that, even if all they do is give you flanking and "Aid Other". Maybe at some point, people do hit heights of power where literally no amount of non-magical stuff/people is going to help them ... but getting their first +2 sword is not that point.
Swordslinger wrote:Not really, no, because a kingdom in D&D isn't low level troops and castles, it's the king who runs it who has lots of magic gear and high level followers.
Ok, so the king of small kingdom still has "tons of magic gear"? This means a couple things:
1) The whole feudalism thing is pointless. The tiny amounts of chump-change that he gets from taxes are nothing compared to what his backup dagger costs.
2) He's an asshole for opting to have +1 more to hit instead of making massive infrastructure improvements to his entire kingdom.

This isn't "aircraft carriers are expensive", this is "the secret service has pistols that are each worth a significant fraction of the GDP".
Last edited by Ice9 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:
hogarth wrote:
Then we run into the other side of the problem. Adventurers find a +1 sword. Then they sell it for a fraction of its value and retire on the proceeds. Adventures give a +1 sword to a mercenary army in order to get it to clear out the dungeon for them. Adventurers mention they have a +2 sword, and everyone else in the country drops what they were doing to try stealing it.
Did you miss K's requirement that adventurers are supposed to be finding truckloads of gold in a dragon's hoard, etc.? He's specifically looking for a way to have characters be cash-superrich without having them being overpowered with magic items. That's his starting point.

If you're looking for a campaign where high level characters can't afford hire an army of mercenaries, the Wish economy discussion isn't for you, I'm afraid.
Last edited by hogarth on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Swordslinger wrote:because he sold his powerful weapons.
A +3 sword is not going to be the deciding factor when someone comes for his retirement fund. So this makes absolutely no sense, because it turns out the difference between a +2 sword and a +3 sword is +1 atk, +1 dam.
Hogarth wrote:Note that that's the basic fucking premise of the Wish economy; people who are tough enough have all the money in the world.
No? Here's the actual premise: people who are tough enough don't care about money anymore. That's a pretty big difference, don't you think?
Novermbermike wrote:Who the fuck is going to trade their kingdom for a +3 sword? Even if it's theoretically worth that much, it's not like you can liquidate it easily.
This is a separate issue. You are proposing one of two possible things:
1) People don't trade powerful magic items, in anything, including things from the gold economy, or
2) People trade powerful magic items using something other than things from the gold economy, like things from some other economy which makes magic items easier to liquidate.

The first assumptions means high level PC's don't have an economy for high level magic items, which is kind of stupid. The second is the wish economy.
Hogarth wrote:If you're looking for a campaign where high level characters can't afford hire an army of mercenaries, the Wish economy discussion isn't for you
Firstly, that wasn't what he said, and it wasn't his point.

Secondly, you can get a +1 sword at level 2 or 3. Should level 2 or 3 characters. A +2 sword is fairly reasonable 3-4 levels later. If magic item costs go up crazily, super fast, even low-mid level characters can buy massive armies.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

hogarth wrote:
Avoraciopoctules wrote:
hogarth wrote:
Did you miss K's requirement that adventurers are supposed to be finding truckloads of gold in a dragon's hoard, etc.? He's specifically looking for a way to have characters be cash-superrich without having them being overpowered with magic items. That's his starting point.

If you're looking for a campaign where high level characters can't afford hire an army of mercenaries, the Wish economy discussion isn't for you, I'm afraid.
Um? Aren't I one of the people who thinks the Wish Economy is a good idea?

Didn't I specify that in my first post in this thread?
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:
hogarth wrote:
Um? Aren't I one of the people who thinks the Wish Economy is a good idea?

Didn't I specify that in my first post in this thread?
I don't understand -- how can you be in favour of the Wish Economy and not in favour of high level characters having huge amounts of gold (which is the whole purpose of the Wish Economy)?