Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

So, what's an elegant way to build a pair of classes that are designed to synergize with each other, such that you can multi-class them while remaining level appropriate?

I'm trying to build a Sexy Viking class, but I want to to synergize with the Navy SEAL class while remaining level appropriate. At the same time, I don't want the Sexy Viking/ Navy SEAL multiclassing to be mandatory.

Also, what's the best way to turn an Angel (or any other Outsider for that matter) into a vampire?
Last edited by hyzmarca on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
K
King

Post by K »

hyzmarca wrote:So, what's an elegant way to build a pair of classes that are designed to synergize with each other, such that you can multi-class them while remaining level appropriate?

I'm trying to build a Sexy Viking class, but I want to to synergize with the Navy SEAL class while remaining level appropriate. At the same time, I don't want the Sexy Viking/ Navy SEAL multiclassing to be mandatory.
Give out bonus feats for both classes. Then write up the various abilities you want for both classes as feats.

Then it doesn't matter which class you are taking.
hyzmarca wrote:Also, what's the best way to turn an Angel (or any other Outsider for that matter) into a vampire?
The vampire made from Outsiders is the Blood Fiend.

I assume what you actually want is sexy angels who are vampires, but you are losing something at some point. For example, Polymorph Any Object will make them lose their physical angel stats and be human vampires with angel powers.

Honestly, just write a template or a whole new monster.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hell, just say "Vampire works on any corporeal, sentient creature with five or more HD."
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

K wrote: I assume what you actually want is sexy angels who are vampires, but you are losing something at some point. For example, Polymorph Any Object will make them lose their physical angel stats and be human vampires with angel powers.
Well, Sexy Vikings who die and become Angels because they're so badass and then are cursed with vampirism because they're so lusty and prideful. At least, I think that's the way it works. I havn't actually read those books yet, unlike the ones with the time traveling Sexy Vikings who become Navy SEALs.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

So, how 'bout those adventure paths? Are they actually any good? Is it worth trading Real American Dollars to get Shackled City?
I love the theory, but am concerned that they might suck in practice.
Last edited by fectin on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

Post by Blasted »

This thread has reviews of many of the adventure paths.
I'm running one at the moment because it's just easier on DM than a full sandbox. Read the reviews, it seems that there's a number of both hits and misses.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

hyzmarca wrote: Well, Sexy Vikings who die and become Angels because they're so badass and then are cursed with vampirism because they're so lusty and prideful. At least, I think that's the way it works. I havn't actually read those books yet, unlike the ones with the time traveling Sexy Vikings who become Navy SEALs.
What?

Name of the book?

Think I found it...
Last edited by Korwin on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Korwin wrote:
hyzmarca wrote: Well, Sexy Vikings who die and become Angels because they're so badass and then are cursed with vampirism because they're so lusty and prideful. At least, I think that's the way it works. I havn't actually read those books yet, unlike the ones with the time traveling Sexy Vikings who become Navy SEALs.
What?

Name of the book?

Think I found it...
Google image search tells me Angel Romance is a lively subgenre:

One of Heaven's top hunters, Einar is on a mission to uncover why an angel was working with demons. When he finds the first demon fighting a beautiful woman, he intervenes and saves her life, even when he knows Heaven will hold it against him. The alluring, lethally seductive female is half demon.

There is no love in this world more forbidden than that between an angel and a demon.

Taylor vowed long ago to protect her city from the lowest demons and she isn't about to let an angel waltz in and take over, and she's certainly not about to fall in love with him, even if he is gorgeous. Determined to do her job as a hunter, she convinces the dangerously sensual warrior to team up with her, but as the mission leads them deep into the city's demon underworld, desire flares white-hot between them and not even fear of the consequences can stop the flames of their passion from consuming them both.

Can a love so forbidden ever have a happy ending or are they destined to break each other's hearts?
Better writing than most WotC/Paizo productions
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Blasted wrote:This thread has reviews of many of the adventure paths.
I'm running one at the moment because it's just easier on DM than a full sandbox. Read the reviews, it seems that there's a number of both hits and misses.
Perfect. Thanks.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Korwin wrote:
What?

Name of the book?

Think I found it...
I have now red this book.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

I am in a group. One that sometime in the future may let me DM (they switch around). Problem is they're all about Pathfinder.

If I was DMing pathfinder and simply said "No alignments", how would that change the game other than the obvious?

Also, no paladins. If you want to hunt undead and demons, be a ranger. If you want to be a holy warrior, be a cleric. If you want a magic horsey, be a summoner. Unless that pony has a vorpal sword and a BJ as a cutie mark, I don't see how having one is a base class...
Last edited by Ted the Flayer on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Just let them be paladins of *stuff*. Paladin is actually pretty easy to retag. Hell, I've used it to outline a "Death Warrior" class before.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

I want to play a raven (roleplaying a witch's familiar) in D&D 3.5 and remain at a level of balance around fighter and unoptimized rogue without excessive sourcebook use. What do you recommend? I'm thinking of were-raven, or permanently shrunken anthropomorphic raven or kenku.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

Prak_Anima wrote:Just let them be paladins of *stuff*. Paladin is actually pretty easy to retag. Hell, I've used it to outline a "Death Warrior" class before.
Or I could just not allow paladins because I don't think they're a unique enough character type.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Ted the Flayer wrote: If I was DMing pathfinder and simply said "No alignments", how would that change the game other than the obvious?
Not too much: you've kicked paladins to the curb already, and the Alignment Domains, well... you could keep them (some spells will not be applicable) or ditch them (Evil does a weaksauce thing x per day rather than the "+1 CL for Evil, which is to say you make more undead friends", so people aren't going to be desperately hanging out for it).

Occasionally, something gets a class feature of a spell-like Detect X, Smite X or Make Faces at X effect. Typically it won't matter because they were so unimportant that nobody used them anyway and they won't miss them. But you might need to eyeball various class path things (Sorcerer Bloodlines and all that other crap where one class selects one of X options and it flavours the progression). Some of them might be off the table. Whatever.

Mostly it'll just be a bit annoying.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ted the Flayer wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:Just let them be paladins of *stuff*. Paladin is actually pretty easy to retag. Hell, I've used it to outline a "Death Warrior" class before.
Or I could just not allow paladins because I don't think they're a unique enough character type.
So what are you doing about fighter, out of curiosity?

sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

You don't think Heavy Fighter with Access to Divine Magic isn't a unique enough character type? WTF.

Maybe Paladins should have been on the Bard Progression Full BAB list, and could use a bit of improvement so that at the high levels, it's not. Oh look it's a Dragon and his pet Paladin. But it's certainly as fuck a unique character type.
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

sabs wrote:You don't think Heavy Fighter with Access to Divine Magic isn't a unique enough character type?
They already have one of those in Pathfinder. Maybe you've heard of it.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Clerics are not proficient in heavy armor any more.
So they're not really a Heavy Fighter. They're a medium fighter with a lot of really good spells.

They also have 3/4 BAB, and no Holy Smite ability.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cleric is not a heavy fighter. Cleric is more what could be called a medium fighter.

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

You can always houserule clerics as having full BAB, heavy armor proficiency, and holy smite.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Sure, and make them Die Uber Stil

Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

sabs wrote:Clerics are not proficient in heavy armor any more.
Goddamn pathfinder.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Prak_Anima wrote:Sure, and make them Die Uber Stil
I'm pretty sure that their spellcasting abilities already do that.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

hyzmarca wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:Sure, and make them Die Uber Stil
I'm pretty sure that their spellcasting abilities already do that.
That's kind of what I'm saying. A full casting class with full BAB, heavy armour, no spell failure from armour, and Holy Smite... there's pretty much no reason to be something else.