[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

DSMatticus wrote:
Sarkesian wrote:Heroic women in science fiction and fantasy television shows have done much to represent strong, successful women in leadership positions. However, these female roles that are viewed as strong and empowered embody many masculine identified traits, maintaining a patriarchal division of gender roles.
Those are the first two sentences of her paper. Seriously, the first two. From the word go, she is claiming that women with masculine traits reinforce a patriarchical division of gender roles.

How can you not see the problem with this? It's a woman! If you show a woman with masculine traits, you are by definition undermining the notion that those traits can be correctly labelled masculine to begin with. That weakens the gender binary. It helps widen the set of traits it is socially acceptable for women to adopt.
If you show a single woman with a set of masculine traits kicking ass and taking names alongside a bunch of dudes, you are actually reinforcing a patriarchal division of gender roles. You are also allowing for exceptional women to adopt the "masculine" role and be considered honorary dudebros and worthy humans. That's better than having mental qualities inextricably linked to the type of genitals a character possesses, but it's still bad when, if you have tits, you'd better not be seen smelling flowers or wearing pink.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Yeah, if you don't like pink, you're not a woman.
And if you're a guy and you like pink, gaaaaayyyyyy!
Last edited by ishy on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Or metrosexual. It's salmon.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Ancient History wrote:Or metrosexual. It's salmon.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Starmaker wrote:If you show a single woman with a set of masculine traits kicking ass and taking names alongside a bunch of dudes,
Firstly, I'll stop here to point out that this is not what Sarkeesian is criticizing or else she presumably would've brought it up when talking about Faith, since in season 3 Buffy the ass-kicking males are outnumbered. Buffy, Faith, and Willow starting to get in gear compared to Angel and Giles sort of counts as half because he's more badass than Xander even if he can't keep up with either of the Slayers or Angel or anyone.
you are actually reinforcing a patriarchal division of gender roles. You are also allowing for exceptional women to adopt the "masculine" role and be considered honorary dudebros and worthy humans. That's better than having mental qualities inextricably linked to the type of genitals a character possesses, but it's still bad when, if you have tits, you'd better not be seen smelling flowers or wearing pink.
Okay, so again: Where's the love for Cordelia? Why doesn't she even get mentioned until the appendix? Why doesn't she get a proper examination in the body of the paper? Also: Why aren't male characters like Xander or Giles examined, when they're portrayed positively, in supportive roles, and are also men and therefore doubly subversive in those roles?

You can keep grasping for what Sarkeesian really meant, and if you ignore chunks of her work it will even make sense. Ignoring chunks of her work is relatively easy because it's such a confused mess that doesn't really build on itself or flow, so one chunk can be ripped out and you can pretend it's a complete work since none of the rest collapses for lack of it. But the fact stands that they were all produced by the same person and her actual beliefs are teased out by considering all of the work plus the negative space of what she was clearly aware of but chose not to include. I already tried to give her the benefit of the doubt two years ago, and the only way to extract a reasonable belief system from this paper is to blatantly ignore either contradictory statements within it or glaring omissions that would've done far more to support the conclusion you are trying to attribute to her, but which are mysteriously absent.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Woman who's got 6 years experience in gaming industry does an AMA (verified by Reddit, but anonymous to protect her identity) says recent media fearmongering is scaring women away from games

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction ... s_been_in/

Kite Brite is also promoting an entry from a friend's blog that has the same sentiment, that mainstream media is slandering the video game audience and ignoring the women who are openly a part of it

https://twitter.com/Kite_Tales/status/5 ... 8085718018
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

http://www.hendohover.com/#/ < = WTF! O.O
That just HAS to be some kind of sham or hoax or somebody is trying to play with my very fragile nerd-feelings again <.<;,

Ah, there it is:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... hoverboard
Last edited by Stahlseele on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Netropolitan
The social network for the rich. It's exactly like Facebook, but you pay 9000$ for the first year of membership, and 3000$ every year afterwards.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

So they really went through with that . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Longes wrote:Netropolitan
The social network for the rich. It's exactly like Facebook, but you pay 9000$ for the first year of membership, and 3000$ every year afterwards.
In before somebody successfully kickstarts a membership into this. Also inb4, some boards pooling $$$ to pay for troll accounts).
Stahlseele wrote:http://www.hendohover.com/#/ < = WTF! O.O
That just HAS to be some kind of sham or hoax or somebody is trying to play with my very fragile nerd-feelings again <.<;,

Ah, there it is:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/14 ... hoverboard
My brother posted this link today, too. My scam-alert went into maximum overdrive so I looked around. There's a forbes interview that manages to both say that these guys have a functional technology in their hands but at the same time point to some crippling limitations: http://www.forbes.com/sites/aarontilley ... overboard/

I'm at this point unwilling to call this an outright hoax or scampaign, but their Kickstarter pitch seems way too optimist. By Forbes very untechnical article, "the battery inside the device work at an efficiency of about 40 watts per kilogram", and this looks like a show-stopper to me.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

We have exactly one year from today to make hoverboards happen before we miss Back to the Future's deadline. I admire these guys for trying to make it happen. Not enough to actually donate, but still.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

In addition to the efficiency hurdle, they'll also need to deal with the short battery life and noise problems. a Hendo-based train is apparently estimated to cost an order of magnitude cheaper than the maglev system.
Last edited by ...You Lost Me on Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

I suspect the point here isn't to make a practical hoverboard so much as to show that the technology works and a hovorboard gets publicity, no matter how impractical it is.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

OK, yes, the Battery Efficiency is very poor, but Samsung is working on bendable batteries and some other people are working on more efficient and much faster to recharge batteries, so if the battery tech indeed makes some advances, that could maybe be improved by quite a bit . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

OgreBattle wrote:Woman who's got 6 years experience in gaming industry does an AMA (verified by Reddit, but anonymous to protect her identity) says recent media fearmongering is scaring women away from games

https://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction ... s_been_in/
Asking a chess Grandmaster about war is stupid. Asking a game developer about sociology is also stupid. You will get anecdotal and wrong answers.
Lady Developer wrote:Basically just lack of desire to get into the field. I don't think it really runs deeper than that. I have friends in the industry and friends outside of it, and the ones outside of it are in NO way women I could see making games. This isn't due to intellectual capacity, they just aren't gamers and aren't interested in games... and contrary to what some people are trying to shove down people's throats, that's perfectly ok.
That is fucking stupid since adult women are the largest demo in games. Then she could at least consider there's something wrong with the environment when so many women play games and so few want to get deeply involved with the industry. Maybe it's because nobody wants to get treated like an outsider, even if it means being treated extra polite?

Edit: And god-fucking damnit.
Lady Dev wrote:I'm anti-SJW and anti-feminist.
This is one of those people you can point to and say "this person is wrong and bad and thinks false accusations are more of a problem than actual problems."
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Chamomile wrote:Firstly, I'll stop here to point out that this is not what Sarkeesian is criticizing or else she presumably would've brought it up when talking about Faith
(...)
Okay, so again: Where's the love for Cordelia?
(...)
You can keep grasping for what Sarkeesian really meant, and if you ignore chunks of her work it will even make sense.
I don't watch Sarkeesian, and I can't stand Buffy. (The only teen show I could stand was some Czech thing about a lady dictator in power armor.) I'm just saying that if all strong women in the work are dressed like this
and all useless civilians are dressed like this
said work might have been progressive by XIXth century standards but is sexist in 2014. It's good to allow or encourage your daughter to play with toys for boys, it's still bad there are separate aisles at all.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

But Buffy was dressed like this:
Your argument is invalid. Seriously. It doesn't even apply.

Sarkeesian was claiming that Buffy was misogynist because she had masculine traits. Not that she was portrayed as a dude, or even had exclusively masculine traits. But that she was things like physically strong and assertive and shit, and Sarkeesian thinks that women shouldn't be portrayed with traits like that.

It's... insanity.

-Username17
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

FrankTrollman wrote:It's... insanity.
I dunno, I can sort of understand where Sarkeesian is coming from. She's still extremely wrong about the problem of sexism and it's solutions, but I can sort of understand why someone might hold her views.

Gender binary isn't just about women being like X and men being like Y, it also involves certain traits being coded as "feminine" and "masculine". Part of sexism is that traits coded "feminine" tend to be denigrated and if a work of fiction "empowers" women by having them reject "feminine traits" and embrace masculine ones it's questionable how not-sexist that work is.

Now obviously the solution to the problem is not to enforces the gender binary even harder like Sarkeesian seems to want, but it is true that stories that are supposedly about "strong female characters" can still reinforce sexist narratives.
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

Jesus, why is Sarkeesian even a thing.
I'm just going to drop THIS off here - it's a pretty thorough debunking of her and her ilk.
I especially like the "if men acted like feminist" series.
Last edited by ACOS on Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

ACOS, I am not even going to look at the link and I can guess that is Thunderf00t. I subscribed to him during the whole evolution vs creationist "debate" and it was a related video.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Starmaker wrote:I don't watch Sarkeesian, and I can't stand Buffy. (The only teen show I could stand was some Czech thing about a lady dictator in power armor.)
Wha huh?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

Leress wrote:ACOS, I am not even going to look at the link and I can guess that is Thunderf00t.
:biggrin:
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

You know I really hate when we have this sort of thread, because finding out that seemingly inoffensive Denners are raging bigots is always such a downer.

ACOS please ditch the fedora and rethink your life choices.
Last edited by Mistborn on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

Lord Mistborn wrote:You know I really hate when we have this sort of thread, because finding out that seemingly inoffensive Denners are raging bigots is always such a downer.

ACOS please ditch the fedora and rethink your life choices.
:confused:

edit:

HERE. Is that better? :bored:

Also found this interesting.
Last edited by ACOS on Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.