The Soldier Problem (Parts 1-3)

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Brobdingnagian
Knight

Re: Soldier Problem, Part 3

Post by Brobdingnagian »

So let me get this straight. I'd keep the money and get more experience for killing things?

Noiche.
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

But the point is by giving them challenges to keep it you're making them earn it. Its simple you don't want them to have it; don't make it available. You're ok with them having it, let them have it at whatever cost you deem necessary to keep it without strings. But you can't put it out there for them and then ask them to shell out xp for the privelege of keeping it
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Sure, if you're expecting free money to be free money, it will feel like being cheated. But the players would know, going in, thats how we roll. We'll change XP to PP (plot points) and explain that they represent ANYTHING that gives a character an advantage, including wealth and equipment.

Let me put it this way; in D&D, you might help out an NPC who offers to train your character in a givne obscure path or technique. Occasionally, a generous DM might give you a free bonus feat. Usually, though, all it does is give in-game justification for the way you spend your feat slots.

Similarly, in this system, all a big sack of cash does is give an in-game justification for spending your XP on gear. In fact, Vow of Poverty is really easy to do with this system; just donate your money to charity and spend the XP on more training instead.

User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

I'd like to start fleshing out this idea, but can't decide on a genre or setting to use. Suggestions?

Also, do you think this would be better as a variant of SAME or a standalone system?