The sordid history of psionics (rant)

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

sake wrote: Except by RAW that extra at-will humans got couldn't be augmented.
I was thinking more that Battlemind/Psion/Ardent all had a 1st level power that they would need unaugmented for the rest of their career. For example:

Battlemind: Twisted Eye - Gives a substantial attack penalty. Or Concussive Spike, which allows multi-target Murder Pinball.

Ardent: Intent Laid Bare - Melee Basic Attack. Which you need.

Psion: Mind Thrust / Kinetic Trawl - Gives a Ranged Basic Attack. Which you don't need as badly as the Ardent needs the Melee Basic attack but is still very helpful for the right setups/parties.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
ModelCitizen
Knight-Baron

Post by ModelCitizen »

tussock wrote:Hey now @sake, some of the Dragon Kings stuff for 2nd edition Psi was kind of awesome too. I saw a few people have a lot of fun playing 2nd edition Psionicists in general, they just suffered from the 3e Monk problem of not really being able to contribute, except when they dumped all their PPs and won.

I ended up giving them a pet Fighter to give them something to do for the rest of the day. Worked well enough, though the players in question were kind enough to not break the game with their PP dumps.
The way I remember it Fighter/Psion was the way to go. Not the strongest thing in the world, but you can still contribute after you drop your one Disintegrate for the day.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

So, what's wrong with Psionics and Chi being the same thing.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

My definition:
Chi = your Life Force
Psi = your brain power
Last edited by Korwin on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

OgreBattle wrote:So, what's wrong with Psionics and Chi being the same thing.
Abolutely nothing. It's the only useful idea to come out of 4E power sources.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Hey, and you know what is an even more useful idea? "Chi" or "Psi" power sources are meaningless unless meaning is created for them, and they can be equally meaningful/less alone or together.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

tussock wrote:3e Psi added back in the original progressions as spell levels, which worked, but then made all the powers into fireball-like d6/pp effects, which missed the point dramatically. Like 2nd edition it totally misses the Eldritch Horror and Yogic elements of the idea, replacing that with new age crystals.
Honestly, as much as I normally find new age laughable, I prefer the crystals and demons approach over hindu yogic stuff. That's just me though.

edit: Also, intellect devourers. Though mostly that's just because the idea of a brain with reptile legs has always seemed kind of cute to me.
Last edited by Prak on Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.