Best System for Dragonlance?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Re: Best System for Dragonlance?

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Shakers don't have children because they don't have sex. Chastity's a big part of their faith. So they lose two times: once for not having little ones raised in the faith, and twice for alienating anyone who enjoys sexual acts.

Compare that to Catholicism's fetishistic 'make-the-babies' stance.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

RandomCasualty at [unixtime wrote:1197058459[/unixtime]]Honestly all Western Religions sadly look that way to me. They're all designed to convert people, and that's about it.

I'd say Buddhism's stance on material goods is a great way to keep peasants in line.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Christianity is very far fetched. However, while Jesus never existed, the whole thing is not without precedence. It's an astrological cult, and based on some very old Egyptian traditions.

I mean, the Sun really does set beneath the "Southern Cross" for three days starting on December 24th, after which it is "reborn" as the days get longer. And so it is no wonder that Osiris was sent as the son of Ra to teach the people of Egypt about the afterlife with his twelve disciples and was eventually betrayed and crucified only to be reborn three days after his death.

The only real difference is that Osiris was represented by a bull, YHWH was represented by a ram, Jesus was represented by a fish, and supposedly the next version is going to be represented by a man carrying water. I'm willing to bet that the Egyptian Astrological Cult won't die out in another twentyone hundred years and that the version after the waterbearer will be a fucking sea goat.

-Username17
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Frank, does the term Age of Aquarius ring a bell? :P
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Draco_Argentum at [unixtime wrote:1197100453[/unixtime]]

I'd say Buddhism's stance on material goods is a great way to keep peasants in line.

Yeah, it very well may be, but I honestly don't know enough about Eastern religions to actually criticize them, so I left them out of this. I'm not saying Eastern religions are necessarily better, just that I don't know enough to say one way or the other.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

FrankTrollman wrote:Osiris was represented by a bull, YHWH was represented by a ram, Jesus was represented by a fish

Christianity stole the fish symbol from the Philistine's cult of Dagon, along with the 'fish on Fridays' deal, and the shape of the Bishops' hats (which is a fish's mouth).

Just sayin'.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Dagon? As in "one of the random Lovecraftian horrors"? Please tell me the cult (that preceded the author, I'm fully aware of this) worshipped something appropriately eldritch.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1197118100[/unixtime]]Dagon? As in "one of the random Lovecraftian horrors"? Please tell me the cult (that preceded the author, I'm fully aware of this) worshipped something appropriately eldritch.

Sorry, Baal and Dagon are pretty tame. Dagon is just an agriculture deity. The maritime Canaanites worshiped him with fish parts, the land bound canaanites did not.

-Username17
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Lovecraft's Dagon, father and patron of the Deep Ones, is named after the Judaic demon Dagon; but before he was a demon, Dagon was the chief god of the Philistines, whom the ancient Jews hated like all get-out. To the extent that when King David was courting a wife, her father demanded one hundred Philistine foreskins as a bride-price, and David came back with two hundred, because he just couldn't get enough of mutilating Philistine wang. Or so the Bible tells us.

Somewhere in the murky depths of early Christianity, many of the rites and symbols of the Dagon cult were absorbed, and Dagon himself was pronounced a demon, in a sterling example of the process that would be repeated over and over in the hilarious game of Religimon that Catholicism practiced.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

angelfromanotherpin at [unixtime wrote:1197119421[/unixtime]]Lovecraft's Dagon, father and patron of the Deep Ones, is named after the Judaic demon Dagon; but before he was a demon, Dagon was the chief god of the Philistines, whom the ancient Jews hated like all get-out. To the extent that when King David was courting a wife, her father demanded one hundred Philistine foreskins as a bride-price, and David came back with two hundred, because he just couldn't get enough of mutilating Philistine wang. Or so the Bible tells us.

Awesome. Where is that in the bible? It'd be nice to have that next time I get into a religious argument with someone about how holy and pure the bible is.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

angelfromanotherpin at [unixtime wrote:1197094797[/unixtime]]Shakers don't have children because they don't have sex. Chastity's a big part of their faith. So they lose two times: once for not having little ones raised in the faith, and twice for alienating anyone who enjoys sexual acts.

Yeah, who the hell would want to be a Shaker anyway?

I'll take multiple wives or even 600 virgins in heaven over them anyday.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

RandomCasualty wrote:Awesome. Where is that in the bible? It'd be nice to have that next time I get into a religious argument with someone about how holy and pure the bible is.

The foreskin thing is 1 Samuel 18:25-27. Honestly, though, lots of the Old Testament is about sex, but prudes have tried to cover it up by translating 'testicles' as 'feet,' and 'penis' as 'nose,' and other such nonsense. The entirety of the Song of Solomon is an ode to getting busy. Also check out Ezekiel 23:19-20, which is about how ridiculously hung Egyptians are.

Honestly, though, this is the internet era. Someone's got to have an archive of all the smut in the Bible.
[counturl=123]Here's[/counturl] a decent start.
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

angelfromanotherpin at [unixtime wrote:1197120889[/unixtime]]

The foreskin thing is 1 Samuel 18:25-27. Honestly, though, lots of the Old Testament is about sex, but prudes have tried to cover it up by translating 'testicles' as 'feet,' and 'penis' as 'nose,' and other such nonsense. The entirety of the Song of Solomon is an ode to getting busy. Also check out Ezekiel 23:19-20, which is about how ridiculously hung Egyptians are.

Honestly, though, this is the internet era. Someone's got to have an archive of all the smut in the Bible.
[counturl=124]Here's[/counturl] a decent start.

Heh thanks. This stuff is classic.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

angelfromanotherpin at [unixtime wrote:1197119421[/unixtime]]in the hilarious game of Religimon that Catholicism practiced.

Yeah, Religimon! Dagon, use the splash attack!
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Back on topic, what would be the best way to express steampunk in D&D/d20, or has there yet to be a clear and concise source for said subject?
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1197121223[/unixtime]]
Yeah, Religimon! Dagon, use the splash attack!

Not very effective.

Pastor Melissa Scott uses Confusion!
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

angelfromanotherpin at [unixtime wrote:1197117420[/unixtime]]

Christianity stole the fish symbol from the Philistine's cult of Dagon, along with the 'fish on Fridays' deal, and the shape of the Bishops' hats (which is a fish's mouth).

Just sayin'.

All of those are Catholic. Not Christian. Catholics are only slightly closer to Christians than pagans and Muslims are.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Is anyone going to get back on topic and answer my question, or should I just officially declare this thread derailed?
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1197150252[/unixtime]]Is anyone going to get back on topic and answer my question, or should I just officially declare this thread derailed?

Since the question is really about moving fluff. My answer would be any bloody one you want. Each system is as good as another.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Leress at [unixtime wrote:1197150449[/unixtime]]
Captain_Bleach at [unixtime wrote:1197150252[/unixtime]]Is anyone going to get back on topic and answer my question, or should I just officially declare this thread derailed?

Since the question is really about moving fluff. My answer would be any bloody one you want. Each system is as good as another.

Thank you, Leress.
You seem to be more patient on these boards than others here.

P.S. Are you British or Australian? You seem to use the "bloody" adjective a lot.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Captain Bleach wrote:P.S. Are you British or Australian? You seem to use the "bloody" adjective a lot.

Neither, I just watch a lot of BBC and it just got stuck in my vocabulary.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Calibron, you tell me Catholicism isn't a subset of Christianity? Please explain.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Calibron at [unixtime wrote:1197148353[/unixtime]]
angelfromanotherpin at [unixtime wrote:1197117420[/unixtime]]

Just sayin'.

All of those are Catholic. Not Christian. Catholics are only slightly closer to Christians than pagans and Muslims are.

In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Catholicism, with all it's saints and angels and other things you pray to, is as much ancestor worship and pantheism as it is monotheism. As I'm sure most of you know a very large number of their traditions are only renamed pagan rituals. Catholicism is just a big mishmash of different faiths systems that makes little internal sense and isn't purely anything. If you are of the impression that anyone who simply says they believe in God is a Christian than yeah, catholics and even the majority of Americans are Christian; I know that a Christian is someone who has been born again, and you can't follow all of the catholic rules and still try your best act like a Christian unless you're just ignorant of everything you're doing wrong.

And honestly, a cat wearing a scarf is anything but a failure.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

I don't get why some Christians detest pagans so much when so many parts of Christianity have been stolen from pagan beliefs.