New Edition: Wiki

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Bigode
Duke

Re: New Edition: Wiki

Post by Bigode »

Fvck, I type "3 step snake" in Wikipedia and get Metal Gear Solid ... not that I haven't been addicted to MGS 3 ... but I suppose your idea works great.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

It's not as addictable as MGS2, but at least it doesn't have Raiden doing tumbles naked (or any Raiden at all).
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

I could talk about the Metal Gear series endlessly, but if anything, that'd be for MPSIMS ... (before other people jump in and we have 2 pages of Naked/Solid/Liquid/Solidus Snake here)
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Heh OK then.. that's all from me on the subject. -__-
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

So, I take it the Garuda and Bugrom write-ups all to me? I'll post them here for vetting.

My current thoughts:

Bugrom need to be sexy. That way it's tragic that they're all dead. I mean, if they were scary, ugly mofos to begin with, being undead wouldn't matter. A Bugrom character has got to be someone you'd sex up if she were breathing.

So, pretty butterfly wings, fleshy faces.

Garudas: If we want Bugrom to have wings, this raises a question. Generally, I would think we would thus want Garudas to NOT have wings -- I'm leaning towards horus-style birdmen with beaks and talons, feathery arms, but no wings. They should be scary, scary guys.

Alternately, we could give them wings and make wings a theme of white. Two winged races, angels as their high-end monster, we could play up associations with grace and with the sky for all its worth. Put wings in the name of a lot of white spells and maneuvers.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

I vote for Pin Angel's weird garuda: bird head, wings, and a human torso atop human arms - I suppose that'd make them scary enough. Also, glad about the gnomes' crime. :)
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Alternately, we could give them wings and make wings a theme of white. Two winged races, angels as their high-end monster, we could play up associations with grace and with the sky for all its worth. Put wings in the name of a lot of white spells and maneuvers.

With the Yâmans throwing up manticores and spenta as their basic supernaturals, wings could easily be a standard offering of the world. Probably if we were going that way, we'd push the Yak Folk into Naraka or Pretaloka (pushing Trolls into Naraka I guess) and bringing in a winged group of magical peoples for the Yâma slot. Of course, winged things are easy to find in fantasy, and we could slot in Succubi, Fairies, Harpies, Cherubim, or Draconians with little effort.

As a thematic convergence it's catchy and easy to explain. I'm leaning towards Harpies actually, but I'm really open.

-Username17
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I like the wings as a theme, but I'm not sure you want two flavors of bird people. I'd lean towards butterfly-winged fairies myself.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Bugrom have bug wings, garudas have bird wings, so the next step is bat wings, which means demons or dragons.

A race of redeemed demons would have a fairly obvious curse -- major dharma violation -- but we already have the garuda for our angsty "fallen" types and tiefligns for our badass demonspawn.

Draconians would be sweet, especially if we play up dragons == majesty == rulership, but aren't dragons a different color?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

There could be bat-winged harpies, which I guess would look either like Tyldak or like Dracula's brides from Van Helsing. You'd have to be careful to emphasize the 'majestic' aesthetic and de-emphasize the creepy associations.

Traditional harpies don't belong in Yama, because of their schtick of shitting in people's food, but maybe that could tie into their Dharmic curse. Maybe they're redeemed figures (as opposed to the fallen Garuda), who used to torment the wicked in Naraka, but did it so hardcore they were promoted to Yama. Of course, they weren't being conscientious, they just really loved being jerks, and now they're stuck having not to be mean to people.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

So, they're really really conscientious types who do whatever they're assigned scrupulously. They ALSO enjoyed tormenting the damned. Now they've ben promoted to social workers, and while they take to it naturally, they conscientiously go through the motions, like eternally frustrated bureaucrats.

Unlike the garudas, who have good intentions but questionable methods, they would have faultless actions but questionable intentions...
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Frank, whatever character you're using after the Y isn't UTF-8. You can use the &; notation here to make sure that your character is translated correctly.

HTML Character entity references
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Aw, cmon. Garuda at least need ample feathers, or they'll look like the retarded owl-head guy that Binders can summon.
Even if it's useless long feathers hanging from the upper arms and jutting out the back like a hyena mane, the description is better than just "a bird head".
Also, bird feet rock.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

So garuda are bird-shaped men and harpies are man-shaped birds? I suppose you could go for serious sexual dimorphism & . matte garuda and harpies one species.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

An alternate, and possibly more apropos name for Harpies would be Sirens. But remember that they fit the Monstrous Humanoid slot like the talking bears or the trolls, so they can be seriously out there and have that be fine.

In any case: if Garudas are going winged (while everything goes winged), and they are keeping the "Fallen Spenta" thing going, there comes the dreaded "non functional wing problem" do we want:
  • Burnt Wings
  • One Wing, one Scar.
  • Clipped Wings
  • Normal Looking Wings
  • Something else.

I'm leaning towards full bird heads for the Garuda. Crow heads (hearkening to Tengu) or Vulture heads would seem most appropriate.

-Username17
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Mutilated wings is sounding pretty high on the emo meter.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Are we OK with wings being an atttack form? I'm thinking about wings with reinforced bones instead of holllow, with a feather pattern of chains binding the muscles.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Well if Garuda have solid bones like us then it wouldn't even matter if they had full sized supposedly-functioning wings, they would only be able to glide down and never take off... unless their chest muscles were as large as a bull's.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

What was it the Vanara did to get cursed? I'm thinking it was some sort of "played a trick on a god" thing.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1202672171[/unixtime]]What was it the Vanara did to get cursed? I'm thinking it was some sort of "played a trick on a god" thing.

That would work.

In a similar vein, I think it time that we hash out a basic run down of the Hobgoblin Malefactor and the Tiefling Warlock. That is, ten levels long set of abilities gained which would allow them to fight and do interesting stuff at each level.

-Username17
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Remind me what the Malefactor does?
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1202684888[/unixtime]]Remind me what the Malefactor does?

The Malefactor costs BB and is a 2/2 with First Strike and Protection from White.

It's a Wisdom/Strength Kshatriya caste. Similar to the D&D Blackguard or the Warhammer Chaos Warrior.

At some point they will be pulling down abilities with names like:
  • Youth Siphon
    Bone Crusher
    Unravelment of Skin
    Radiance of Despair

The majority of their abilities will be drawn from the Path of the Dead and the Path of Doom. They get huge shoulder pads, which are GRIM AND DARK!

-Username17
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1202552440[/unixtime]]An alternate, and possibly more apropos name for Harpies would be Sirens. But remember that they fit the Monstrous Humanoid slot like the talking bears or the trolls, so they can be seriously out there and have that be fine.

In any case: if Garudas are going winged (while everything goes winged), and they are keeping the "Fallen Spenta" thing going, there comes the dreaded "non functional wing problem" do we want:
  • Burnt Wings
  • One Wing, one Scar.
  • Clipped Wings
  • Normal Looking Wings
  • Something else.

I'm leaning towards full bird heads for the Garuda. Crow heads (hearkening to Tengu) or Vulture heads would seem most appropriate.

-Username17

I'd go with normal/clipped wings.
Don't have any of my hindu mythos books on me but this picture form wiki seems pretty close to what I've always pictured/seen(in various works) the Garuda as.

Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

So Frank, do you want 10 levels with numbers, or just abilities and descriptions?