I am moving.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Re: I am moving.

Post by CalibronXXX »

Well posting illegal rapidshare on the gaming den is kinda of like shitting where you eat, just not a good idea.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

He didn't even want the scanlation book after I put the links up.. :confused:
Arg
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

[TGFBS]

Enough about who is who's ignore list.

[/TGFBS]
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The city of Prague celebrates the life and times of Franz Kafka every fucking day. So on Thursday after I got my seat at Charles University, I went to the US embassy to find out how to get a Student Visa. And it was closed that day because of a security check.

So I came in the next day and was told that the embassy was closed, having been open from 8:30 in the morning until 11:30 in the morning. After pleading with the guards and being legitimately exasperated, I was allowed to talk to someone on the embassy staff on the phone.

They told me that the Czech Republic, and not the United States, issues student visas, so I would have to go to a Czech Embassy in the US or go to the Foreign Police. She gave me a phone number, but the phone I was talking on couldn't be used to dial it, so no help there. Also she gave me an address, which I promptly went to.

There they informed me that they were not the Foreign Police, but instead the Regular Police. They gave me a new address to go to and told me to go there. I checked my map carefully and could not find this address and told the man so. He looked at my map as well and informed me that this was because he had given me the wrong address, and then he gave me a new address which actually existed and sent me on my way.

So I crossed town the long way and got to the place I had been directed to. The people there barely spoke any English and I was directed to "go underground" - which I eventually got translated to meaning that I needed to go to yet a different police station where "they speak English, German, Italian, and French". Also across town. Fuck.

So I go across town again to what is now the 3rd police station I had been to that day. When I got there they did indeed speak very good English, but they regretted to inform me that they were not the "Foreign Police", they were the regular police who spoke foreign languages. They were, however, able to give me the actual address of the Foreign Police and their card, which helpfully informed me that they were fucking closed on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

-Username17
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Holy shit that's a third world country over there...
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

I guess the lesson is "learn [language they speak there.]"
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

It's not third world. it's ex-communist.

There is a noticeable difference - he never got shaken down for cash.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Then would Baltimore city be considered third world?
Cuz it sure does meet that criteria.

Actually, I think it is...

And New Orleans would be another good comparison. They don't speak English either.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Wow, I had no idea eastern Europe was really like that. Sounds like you'll have a lot of fun times ahead of you ;)

At least they sent you wandering back and forth across what is considered one of the most beautiful cities in the world, am I right?

[Edit] I'm impressed that you've had time to post, what with lightning-speed moving. Is that just because the obstructionist bureaucracy is giving you lots of spare time? [/Edit]
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

:wtf:

So when are we seeing a rewrite of the Baatezu from Tome of Fiends? Now that you have personal experience with malicious bureaucracies and all
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

shirak at [unixtime wrote:1190104148[/unixtime]]:wtf:

So when are we seeing a rewrite of the Baatezu from Tome of Fiends? Now that you have personal experience with malicious bureaucracies and all

Seconded
erik
King

Post by erik »

Learning that you're going to be spending a lot of time in a foreign country in short notice ruther sucks when you don't know the language yet. I know I hate going somewhere that I won't be able to communicate with the natives. Hopefully your crash course in Czech gets better in the next couple weeks.

josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

i dont think crash courses in slavic languages help, trust me it's my native.
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

You guys can make shockingly long words with no vowels in them.

-Username17
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Also the opera house is really cheap, like tickets at the front of the top gallery for 4 euros.
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

yup, like

• skrb - care
  • crkva - church
  • labrnja - dogs mouth
  • brnjica - muzzle

so, s is read like s, k is like c in car, r is not rolling but hard, b is b, nj is gn like in grognard.

croatian has: 7 cases, 2 futures, 4 past tenses, a shitload of inflections and other stuff. people learn this crap for 12 years in school. apart from those proscribing how our language should look like, nobody gives a damn. the latest debate was about: shall not or shan't. it filled the collumns for weeks. wtf?
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1190126747[/unixtime]]You guys can make shockingly long words with no vowels in them.

-Username17

A Polish kid once called me racist for making this very same statement. :bored:
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

That's awesome. Thanx for the link. Ess and I will be reading from time to time.

:)

Stay safe.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

I'll be keeping an eye on it too, it's interesting to say the very least.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

That is quality material, Frank. Keep it updated.

Game On,
fbmf
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Interesting read. Reminds me of the stories my parents told about my father trying to get an engineering degree when he still lived in Argentina.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Frank wrote:
Nevertheless, seeing a bunch of women in their 20s running around dressed like school girls is something which should happen on a more regular basis.

I like you for reasons beyond the Tome series.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Because you agree, because you want to satisfy his desire, or both?

:runs for cover:

Frank: damn you for addressing cultural issues in your journal and thus making me follow it!
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

*laughs* Mostly the first one. I mean, I have no problem with dressing in the uniform, but I'd hardly be doing it for Frank.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.