I can't tell my left from right

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

tzor
Prince

Re: I can't tell my left from right

Post by tzor »

FrankTrollman at [unixtime wrote:1204370693[/unixtime]]Left Wing and Right Wing refers to the places that the people in the French National Assembly sat. The First Estate (the Nobility) sat on the Right, and the Third Estate (the Commoners) sat on the Left.

I should also point that for U.S. politics in the U.S. Senate the Democrats sit on the left side of the isle and the Republicans sit on the right side. ( Senate Chamber Desk Arrangement )
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1204565455[/unixtime]]I don't like horses either. They're large, unpredictable animals and they have big teeth despite being an herbivore.

Astonishingly, I'm afraid of many local white people for that very same reason.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

The "h" in "herbivore" is not silent. You pronounce it like the rest of the letters. So it's "a herbivore", not "an herbivore". The false silent h is a pet peeve of mine, especially the "He was an hero" thing.

Anyway, thanks guys. That was really informative, especially the somewhat frightening record (or lack thereof) of Bush, and now I can remember them. "Left and Liberal start with L".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Koumei at [unixtime wrote:1204588445[/unixtime]]The "h" in "herbivore" is not silent.

It is in America.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Yes, Americans refuse to pronounce the 'h' in herb, and this bleeds into herbivore. I'm not sure why they refuse to do this, since the fewer letters you pronounce, the closer your language is to being French.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1204591790[/unixtime]]
It is... in America!

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

I hate you now, Koumei.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

And now I remember something about Monty Python: not all of their sketches are up there with the ones they show on Hollywood Bowl etc.

It was still good for a chuckle. "An hoop" indeed.

Ceilingcat: And you didn't before?
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Nope. Not really now either, since I scrolled past the picture and haven't seen it in the last few moments.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Actually I think different regional dialecs in America say it differently and not always consistantly. it also depends on the location of the word in a sentence. "Herb" is a good example and most people will use the "h" when it is in the beginning of a sentence and skip it in the middle.

As for American being so French like, first I would like to blame/thank the Normans. Then I would like to thank the good people of France who helped us with the revolution. Finally I would like to blame Canada; everything in the US should end up blaming Canada for no obvious reason.

(A good example of this is in the current Democratic primaries where in order to convince voters how anti-NAFTA they are they both try to accuse the other of being "nice" to Canada.)

Back to pronounciation. Where I work we tend to use a lot of symblism. For example we generate file codes with a certain extension, one could for example, end with am "E" and the other with an "M" (I believe that was correct as the letter M is pronounced "em.") We often refer to them as .E and .M. Mr. Gates skipps the "." and says it is an .E file but if you say the "dot" it would be "a (dot) E file."
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Crissa wrote:The biggest of his ventures was managing the Texas Rangers, during which his influences allowed them to seize land and create a new stadium, after which most of the land seized was sold at a profit, unused for the stadium.

Just a semantic nit pick...

"Manager" in baseball is an on-field position that revolves around making game decisions, such as who should pitch, who should hit, etc. W didn't have this position.

In general baseball media discussions, he was considered a "part owner" of the team. Whether he was something like "managing partner" or whatever - I have no idea, nor do I particularly care to be honest. The Rangers aren't my team. ;)
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I happen to be anti-semantic and proud of it.
Absentminded_Wizard
Duke

Post by Absentminded_Wizard »

Zherog at [unixtime wrote:1204646999[/unixtime]]
Crissa wrote:The biggest of his ventures was managing the Texas Rangers, during which his influences allowed them to seize land and create a new stadium, after which most of the land seized was sold at a profit, unused for the stadium.

Just a semantic nit pick...

"Manager" in baseball is an on-field position that revolves around making game decisions, such as who should pitch, who should hit, etc. W didn't have this position.

In general baseball media discussions, he was considered a "part owner" of the team. Whether he was something like "managing partner" or whatever - I have no idea, nor do I particularly care to be honest. The Rangers aren't my team. ;)

Yep, I think he was something like "managing partner" or "managing general parnter." He did actually make a few personnel decisions in that capacity. Including trading away Sammy Sosa (granted, before he started hitting a ton of homers).
Doom314's satirical 4e power wrote:Complete AnnihilationWar-metawarrior 1

An awesome bolt of multicolored light fires from your eyes and strikes your foe, disintegrating him into a fine dust in a nonmagical way.

At-will: Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon ("sword", range 10/20)
Target: One Creature
Attack: Con vs AC
Hit: [W] + Con, and the target is slowed.
Zherog
Knight-Baron

Post by Zherog »

Also before he started using steroids. ;)
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1204662099[/unixtime]]I happen to be anti-semantic and proud of it.

:screams: You people who are so opposed to a system or theory or meaning just make me want to scream. Yes you can take your meaningless lives and find some other planet to live on. I prefer my meaning, and I like my system of meaning. I love my semantic becasue meaning means so much to me.

Yes I am being silly, and yes I never knew semantic was also a noun until I looked it up.
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

A language is a system of communication. By being anti-semantic you are either a) against communication or b) against accurate communication.

If the case is (a) then what are you doing here communicating with us anyway?

If the case is (b) then you are proposing that Bush has the right idea, that people should say "Go left" when they mean "Go right" and that doctors should tell you you are dying as soon as look at you. I really don't know what to say to you if non-accurate communication is your position.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Shirak: against both.

lulz