Monks: JB doesn't "get it" (air quotes)

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

name_here wrote:Training harder gives them bonus special abilities, so they can channel holy fire through their fists 4/day or spend Ki points to do so. It does not let them punch holes in armor more easily all by itself. So if you can get +1 to your fists from training, it's limited duration. they don't get +1 flaming hands with larger dice from leveling up, that's unbalancing. they get them from magic weapons that bascially enhance punching people. they aren't restriced from displaying weapons like the inventors of martial arts were, so they have no good reason to hide their combat power.
Actually, if you train yourself to hit through armor, after a long enough time, you will get better at hitting through armor. That's just how it works. Your fists get tougher, and you get stronger. Please also remember that while DnD is close to the real world, it is not in fact bound by the same laws of physics, and so it is quite possible that you could in fact wind up punching through armor if you tried hard and long enough.

The problem here is that when people think "monk," they think "real world Shaolin Kung-Fu Master." I'm not denying he would wipe the floor with me, but in DnD he's maybe third or fourth level. They need to be thinking "DBZ," as much as some people might hate that archetype.

Slightly more on topic, Monte Cook (I know, I know) had a feat in Arcana Evolved that allowed you to literally enhance your fists (you dipped them in boiling water and then magic components or some shit like that). I'm sure that if people are so determined to keep the sucktastic 3.x monk, something like this wouldn't go far wrong.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I just have monster characters dip their natural weapons in Baatorian Green Steel (+1 damage that stacks with enhancement bonuses, costs 1K, counts as masterwork) then get them enhanced like any other masterwork weapon.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Koumei wrote:I just have monster characters dip their natural weapons in Baatorian Green Steel (+1 damage that stacks with enhancement bonuses, costs 1K, counts as masterwork) then get them enhanced like any other masterwork weapon.
You also have your minotaurs dip their cocks in gold.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

No I don't, that was someone else's idea. I don't play minotaurs, and rarely would I play a character who had a cock for that matter.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

I'm aware. About the first, at least.

It was mostly a joke about the whole Tome-esque Improved Natural Weapon feat mess. Whatever became of that, anyway?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Aktariel wrote:Whatever became of that, anyway?
As you said: a mess.

Besides, my creative power has recently been focused on recreating Pokemon as D&D monsters, and making a character for a game.
Aktariel
Knight-Baron

Post by Aktariel »

Pity. I'd love to see a finalized outcome. I'm more of a writer than a mechanic, unfortunately.

I might take a couple of stabs at it at some point.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Koumei wrote:No I don't, that was someone else's idea. I don't play minotaurs, and rarely would I play a character who had a cock for that matter.
Every character I've ever played has had a cock. Even the female ones.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote: Every character I've ever played has had a cock. Even the female ones.
I am horrified yet intrigued at the same time. It's like a train wreck.

I am now tempted to play a character who owns a pet rooster. A black one. Larger than normal.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Koumei wrote:
Count_Arioch_the_28th wrote: Every character I've ever played has had a cock. Even the female ones.

I am now tempted to play a character who owns a pet rooster. A black one. Larger than normal.
I'm tempted to play some kind of demonic or cybernetic futa with serious gender-role warping behaviors.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Harlune
Apprentice

Post by Harlune »

sigma999 wrote:
I'm tempted to play some kind of demonic or cybernetic futa with serious gender-role warping behaviors.
Finally! A use for the alienist prc.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Koumei wrote:

Maybe add the Titanic template at high levels and take it as a cohort. Convince the whole party to use it for transportation. Post pics.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

sigma999 wrote:I'm tempted to play some kind of demonic or cybernetic futa with serious gender-role warping behaviors.
Why?
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Cielingcat wrote:
sigma999 wrote:I'm tempted to play some kind of demonic or cybernetic futa with serious gender-role warping behaviors.
Why?
Did you have to ask him? I mean, there's a good chance he might actually answer, and I don't think anyone wants that.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

That is a good point.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

When the hell did 'futa' become an actual noun? (or at least an internet one).
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

You don't wanna know.

I still can't tell whether I should be flattered or creeped out by it.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Harlune
Apprentice

Post by Harlune »

Voss wrote:When the hell did 'futa' become an actual noun? (or at least an internet one).
about 10 minutes after /d/ was created...
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Maxus wrote: Did you have to ask him? I mean, there's a good chance he might actually answer, and I don't think anyone wants that.
Hmm... I'll let you work that out yourselves.
But keep in mind that it is a role playing game, and there are roles that I have yet to play.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I have yet to play the role of a brick, nor do I ever want to. If this makes me a bad roleplayer, so be it, but I will still be able to say I have never played a demon/robot futa.
cthulhu
Duke

Post by cthulhu »

Why do I know if I google for futa my head will explode?

Edit: Okay page 1 is about some federal unemployment program, and then I chickened out.
Last edited by cthulhu on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Futa Cow is one of the Pedopals. You honestly don't want to know:

[MOD EDIT] Image deleted by request. -fbmf[/MOD EDIT]

-Username17
Last edited by Username17 on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Hetero Dog
Hetero? Now that is just disgusting. I thought we had some moral limits here ;)
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Just a clarification: Slowpoke is NOT a fetish. Usually.

He's what a channer posts, usually in caricature appropriate to context, after someone took too long to respond to a post or topic.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Statistically speaking, Slowpoke is someone's fetish.

I think it was simply included because everything gets turned into Slowpoke in the end (see: Beholders, every single 40K army, vehicles...)