Illthid Bling

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I doubt it matters to us humanoids, seeing as the only reason gender tends to matter is on issues of "Can I have sex with it?" and the Gith are ugly now, and were worse back then.

I'm happy to refer to them all as gender-neutral things.

Or as a genocide waiting to happen.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

K wrote:Wasn't Gith a chick?
Yeah. Sorry, I was conflating Gith and Zerth.

Anyway, the Gith were originally written up by Charles Stross, who also wrote The Atrocity Archives.

-Username17
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

FrankTrollman wrote:
K wrote:Wasn't Gith a chick?
Yeah. Sorry, I was conflating Gith and Zerth.

-Username17
And here I was about to post saying that no, Gith's a guy and then your post made me realize that I was confusing the two as well.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Huh. I thought it was Vlaakith, or maybe Vlaakith was another name for Gith.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlaakith

There are other creators (or inspirations) for Gith other than Charles Stross, by the way. It didn't shock me at all that yet another D&D icon was ripped straight out of someone's novel without permission.
Fucking thieves.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

sigma999 wrote:Huh. I thought it was Vlaakith, or maybe Vlaakith was another name for Gith.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlaakith

There are other creators (or inspirations) for Gith other than Charles Stross, by the way. It didn't shock me at all that yet another D&D icon was ripped straight out of someone's novel without permission.
Fucking thieves.
Not this time. Charles Stross literally used to write D&D material. And some of his early contract work is in the AD&D Fiend Folio and includes the Githyanki.

-Username17
baduin
Master

Post by baduin »

Actually, the NAME githyanki was invented by G.R.R. Martin. It was mentioned in The Dying of the Light, but it was a completely different creature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Githyanki
"Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat."
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

baduin wrote:Actually, the NAME githyanki was invented by G.R.R. Martin. It was mentioned in The Dying of the Light, but it was a completely different creature.

And I wonder if he put the requisite Dylan Thomas quote in the front of the book? Martin that is.

BTW: as a secondary tangent, the fucker better not die before he finishes up his "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. I'm seriously sick and tired of decent authors leaving unfinished manuscripts around for hacks to finish up after the fact.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

virgileso wrote:
baduin wrote:Actually, the NAME githyanki was invented by G.R.R. Martin. It was mentioned in The Dying of the Light, but it was a completely different creature.

And I wonder if he put the requisite Dylan Thomas quote in the front of the book? Martin that is.

BTW: as a secondary tangent, the fucker better not die before he finishes up his "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. I'm seriously sick and tired of decent authors leaving unfinished manuscripts around for hacks to finish up after the fact.
Ahem: as a clarification: that would be me who wrote that. I was on Virgileso's computer today and did not realize that i was typing under his account.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Identity Theft! :P

On a related note, I've been thinking of what would be standard urbanite illithid on the prowl. Then there's what kind of thrall they would bring with them most of the time. For challenge purposes, they need something hefty to mean anything. For plot, I can see them preferring to have their favored servant be a low-level grimlock.

Assuming the Book of Gear...
* Magic Clothes Armor (+5 AC)
* Ring of Spell Resistance (+3 SR)
* Skull Amulet of Natural Armor (+3 natural)
* Tentacle Ring of Charisma (+3 Cha)
* Cloak of Resistance (+3 saves)
* Brain-in-a-Jar Key Chain (+8 Concentration)
** Switch Combat Casting for Ability Focus
* Goggles of Synesthesia (+8 Listen)
--Insert needed constant item as needed--

Standard Pouch
* Hat of Disguise (Disguise Self)
* Tentacle Blades (+3 atk/dmg to tentacles)
* Tentacle Extension (+3 bonus to grapple)
* Viewing Orb (Constant clairaudience/voyance)
* Necklace of Bubbles (constant water breathing)
* Dust of Disappearance (3 potions of invisibility, CL 5)
* Magician's Escape Pellets (3 potions of d-door)
* Elemental Gem (1 of each element, Large CL 9)
Last edited by virgil on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!