What do you adventure for?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Crissa wrote:That's one thing I dislike about MMOs, there's no motivation to hold onto the Giant Penny, and all games that follow the MMO trope even holding onto the Giant Penny eventually makes you worse somehow... Limited inventory space, paying for a house, defenses for the giant penny, having to lose a retainer to polish the giant penny instead of holding your torch... Or you were supposed to exchange the Giant PEnny for a pile of gold and get better weapons. All things which hurt the game aspect of the character.

-Crissa
Actually...My aunt plays that Star Wars MMO. They have elaborate houses with paintings and holograms and what-have-you. Hell, she plays the Imperial side, and one of their greatest resources on the server is a cantina a player built, including an NPC who's been leveled up and macro'd to uber-buff anyone who stands in front of him.

Listening to the people talk, they brag about how they have paintings and items that are still in the game that literally will not drop or be given away ever again. I spent ten minutes talking with my cousin while he mounted guns on his wall and got a Krayt Dragon Skull displayed just right. If anything, it's validation of the "Playing house" principle.

The cantina including a dancing stage, a human skeleton on the floor, and three people frozen in carbonite.

I'd drink there.

Edit: I guess my point is, there is something fun about making a place exactly how you want it to be, and it's fun to hang onto stuff that you know is irreplaceable. Hell, one of my favorite aspects of Pokemon Ruby was the Secret Base.
Last edited by Maxus on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

Maxus wrote:
Crissa wrote:That's one thing I dislike about MMOs, there's no motivation to hold onto the Giant Penny, and all games that follow the MMO trope even holding onto the Giant Penny eventually makes you worse somehow... Limited inventory space, paying for a house, defenses for the giant penny, having to lose a retainer to polish the giant penny instead of holding your torch... Or you were supposed to exchange the Giant PEnny for a pile of gold and get better weapons. All things which hurt the game aspect of the character.

-Crissa
Actually...My aunt plays that Star Wars MMO. They have elaborate houses with paintings and holograms and what-have-you. Hell, she plays the Imperial side, and one of their greatest resources on the server is a cantina a player built, including an NPC who's been leveled up and macro'd to uber-buff anyone who stands in front of him.

Listening to the people talk, they brag about how they have paintings and items that are still in the game that literally will not drop or be given away ever again. I spent ten minutes talking with my cousin while he mounted guns on his wall and got a Krayt Dragon Skull displayed just right. If anything, it's validation of the "Playing house" principle.

The cantina including a dancing stage, a human skeleton on the floor, and three people frozen in carbonite.

I'd drink there.

Edit: I guess my point is, there is something fun about making a place exactly how you want it to be, and it's fun to hang onto stuff that you know is irreplaceable. Hell, one of my favorite aspects of Pokemon Ruby was the Secret Base.
Yeh, but the principle extends across all areas of a character. For example, many MMOs let you decorate a specific spot with preset items, but none in my knowledge let you just wear the rust-color brigandine you got at 15th level that looks so cool. Instead, they make you wear S & M fetish gear at high levels just to play an effective character (Final Fantasy XI).
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

K wrote:Instead, they make you wear S & M fetish gear at high levels just to play an effective character (Final Fantasy XI).
You say that like it's a bad thing.

In all seriousness though, it is sad. One of the things I liked about NWN was the way crafting basically let you change your armour to look like any other piece of armour/clothing. If I recall correctly, that is. I'm pretty sure I had a nice suit that happened to also be +5 Full Plate.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

The best Morrowind and Oblivion mods ever made (that I've seen) are the great variety of fun and interesting houses/castles/real estate with all sorts of neat stuff and fun and interesting options.

Long live playing house.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Maxus wrote: The cantina including a dancing stage, a human skeleton on the floor, and three people frozen in carbonite.

I'd drink there.
Add smoke, dim lights, and a fuckton of slightly chunky Gen-X vampire wannabes, and you have a NYC goth club going there.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.