Warp Cult

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Necromunda ammunition numbers... that's where after firing, you roll to see if you run out of ammo (or in the case of plasma weapons, lose your hand to a brilliant white flash of plasma and vented gasses)?

Sounds good for this one, where there's no hard and fast rules for what you can have.

A quick question regarding health boxes, although I'm almost certain I know how it works:

If you take a Light injury (1 health box), and then afterwards another guy shoots you for (after soak) 1 damage, does that just deal another health box of damage and you're still "Lightly Injured" until you take a third box?

If it doesn't work that way and the next "Damage 1" effect knocks you to 3 boxes then I'm sure there wouldn't be ten boxes, there'd just be 5 health levels, but I just want to make sure.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Necromunda ammunition numbers... that's where after firing, you roll to see if you run out of ammo (or in the case of plasma weapons, lose your hand to a brilliant white flash of plasma and vented gasses)?
Yeah, although in this case it's built into your shooting test. The idea is that if you don't roll enough dice or you roll a lot of 1s you run out of ammunition or your gun otherwise fails.

I'm thinking of making this a general rule. If not enough dice come up "not 1" then you suffer mishaps. This way being more skillful always makes less mishaps happen to you, unlike WoD or Shadowrun where that is not the case.

Oh, and Fat Vincent is up.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yay! Fat Vincent for the win.

Hmm, not a bad rule. I was wondering how to represent the "Ass cannons jam if you don't whisper sweet nothings to them, and plasma weapons fry your hand just for the lulz" without them being so finicky as to actually be detrimental. I had used "If you roll a complete cock-up" as a placeholder, but that works pretty nicely.

Incidentally, I started reading Faith and Fire, which confirms my view on Adepta Sororitas not being as insane or outright vile as the rest of the Imperium. Also, the regular people of the Imperium horrified me on one of those worlds. The terror attack that followed wasn't as bad as people being chosen by lottery, including children, to dress up as Battle Sisters (cardboard armour) and Eldar (green tights and jester helmets) and fight with real weapons for an audience.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yah, so the new errors rule is in there, and it's tied into the ammunition number in the combat rules.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Looks good! Incidentally, a minor error in Collar of Khorne:

"Apparently made of some ancient metal such as bronze or metal"
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Koumei wrote:Looks good! Incidentally, a minor error in Collar of Khorne:

"Apparently made of some ancient metal such as bronze or metal"
He meant dragonforce.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
zeruslord
Knight-Baron

Post by zeruslord »

The Hardest Metal!!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Alright fine. Collars of Khorne may be made out of the world's hardest metal.

-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Dragonforce is softcore though.

Softer than whipped cream that's been left in the sun.

Softer than a castrated man's penis after being worked over with a meat tenderizing hammer.

Fuck! Rick Astely is more hardcore than those fuckers. Speed metal was retarded in the 80's, and clinging to such shit now is even more retarded. Unless you're being highly ironical.

It should be noted that I also classify bands like Atreyu, Soulfly and Poison the Well as fun and relaxing music.

Collars of Khorne in my game would probably be made by The Berzerker*. Since it would make the most sense, and The Berzerker would obviously break any silly dragon. I mean, Kharne uses an axe made out of dragon teeth, so he's obviously tougher than any known dragon, and he's a Berzerker, so obviously Berzerker > Dragon. Also, The Berzerkers, they're also called World Eaters. You don't see any dragons being called world "anything".

I bet that they could just flip out and kill someone without even breaking a sweat.

*: Note, nsfw, blood, gore, strobing lights, scantily clad women, some crazy guy with sand covering his face.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

...I think you care way too much about your music, JE.

It's the clash of the parodies. Once upon a time, it was agreed that diamond was the hardest metal (that's right, metal). People often spouted this. Then, there was the stage where many people talked about how Dragonforce was amazingly hardcore and heavy. Now, I don't mind me some Dragonforce, but I'm not mad over it and I'll happily admit it's light and soft.

So to make fun of those people, the "Dragonforce, the HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN" meme started. Soon, any place that had different membership accounts had Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum and DRAGONFORCE. Some also added Bismuth.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Yeah, I do care.

For the most part, music is great, and nearly all of it is great.

But when is sucks....no, it doesn't even suck, that would mean that it's giving someone pleasure at supposedly it's own expense. This band doesn't even do that.

When it bores, or worse aggrevates, it's just useless. Even getting me angry, or worked up would be forgivable, boring is something that music should never be.

And yeah, I know, it's all sort of ironic. The trouble with "irony" and "sar-chasm" memes is that sometimes lamers don't realize that they are "irony" or "sar-chasm" memes.

Speaking of memes,

tired tiger is tired
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Liang Liang
"Um, this may sting a little."

One in thousand humans are undetectably tainted by the warp. One in a thosand of those can be detected and purged by the Imperium. In a thousand of those, one escapes and continues to proliferate it's vile essence.

Liang Liang has lived up till recently sheltered and bared from contact with anyone other than her mother. Lovingly housed and cared for in a cellar by her dear mother due to her combination of obvious deformities and chronic illnesses. In her spare time, of which she had an abundance, Liang Liang focused everything efforts to returning the care she recieved.

But her loneliness and adult urges have peeked, and she sought to become part of more than one life, even at the cost of her own. Fully understanding that her unique traits would bring her demise, Liang Liang does very much wear extra clothing to hide her form, and does even more to keep her form out of sight. But the allure of companionship draws her to seek out those that would accept her. Or shape the world to accept her...

S: 4 A: 1 W: 1
D: 4 I: 4 C: 4 E: 5

Skills:
Athletics: 4
Endurance: 4
Martial Arts: 4
Stealth: 5 (Shadowing, Hiding)
Artisan: 4 (Scavenging)
Medicine: 4 (First Aid, Long Term Care, Diseases)
Deception: 5 (Disguise)
Camaraderie: 5 (Schmoozing)

Perks:

Jump Up, Free Running, Tentacles, Carapace (2)

Traits:

Positive: Certainty, Brave, Ambidextrous, Rich, Blank
Negative: Silver Spoon, Unhidable Mutation, Stupid, Sickly

Equipment:
Cynthia doll, a mop, kitchen implements (pots, pans, tongs, spatulas, a cleaver), two bars of good soap, a First-aid kit, heavy robes, goggles, fuzzy mittens, and one of these hats:
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Awesome hats. I put her in. Very interesting take on a medic/socialite.

-Username17
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Great! We now have a functional party/main cast for a web comic.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
TarkisFlux
Duke

Post by TarkisFlux »

Disclaimer: I don't actually know the 40k verse, but I saw the lobo chip and wanted to make an idiot savant of some sort. Since I couldn't actually figure out how to play a useful / functional character like that, he morphed into this instead, the idea being that he can just buy off enough hits to keep the stupid away, and instead is a capable character with very little sense of self or loyalty.

Iramo Dicu
“The guards are at our gates. Squads 5 and 7 will deploy per established plan. I will monitor the situation from here and deploy additional units as necessary. Is that satisfactory sir?”

Like many of the physically stronger orphans, Iramo was sold to a mining conglomerate who loboed him and sent him to the mines. Unlike many of those conscripts, however, he wasn’t rendered an idiot by the process and actually retained a great deal of functionality. When the company realized that he had retained a keen analytical mind after the surgery and was naturally gifted at organizing people, they gave him squad lead duties and fired one of their more expensive workers. He excelled at that as well, provided he was given sufficient initial instruction, and was eventually promoted near supervisor before being transferred out to work as a lab assistant.

He excelled as a lab assistant, since he wasn’t interested in any credit or glory or even resting, and followed the procedures he was asked to carry out without comment or complaint. In the process of his lab rotations he learned a number of things about various fields, lost his arm in an experiment, and had his missing arm and other bits of himself replaced with bionic components during their initial human trials.

Iramo understands that he is property, and since he doesn’t actually care about anything he is fine with that circumstance. He exists the follow the orders of his master; he doesn’t much care what those orders are or who his master is. He was recently captured during a raid of the laboratories and now considers himself of the warp cult who took him. They believe him to be some kind of divinely inspired idiot, and while they genuinely don’t like him it’s impossible for them to discount his cold efficiency and effectiveness. Plus, he’s taken well to the flamer since they took him in. Those in charge know that if anyone else ever take him prisoner, he’ll be used to break the cult; it’s a gamble they think worthwhile.

Attributes
S: 5 A: 5 W: 2 (+2)
D: 3 I: 5 C: 1 E: 2

Skills:
Athletics 3
Endurance 4 (Privation; Strain)
Heavy Weapons 3 (Flamer)
Martial Arts 2
Firearms 2
Logistics 4 (Research)
Technology 4
Perception 4
Tactics 4
Command 4
Faith 2
Survival 3

Perks:
Calm Under Pressure
Purposeful
Big Picture Thinking

Traits:
(+) Blank; Bionic; Alien Tech (pick one); Linguist (related to alien tech);
(-) Interesting to Chaos; Unlikeable; Escaped Slave

Equipment:
Lobo chip, Bionic Arm and assorted bits, poorly maintained labtech jumpsuit, whatever else his masters deem it necessary for him to utilize at the moment.

General question about character creation:
FrankTrollman wrote:All attributes that a character possesses start at rating 1, and they may be purchased up at the rate of 10 points per rating. In general, a character should not be allowed to spend more than half their starting points on basic attributes (Power and Edge do not count).
I did the above assuming that edge started at 1 like the rest of your attributes, but that you could spend 150 on the base 6 and then more on edge if you wanted. Is that a correct reading of the above Frank? If it's not, some of the scores and points need to be tweaked.
Last edited by TarkisFlux on Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

That'd be pretty cool. I might even draw up this group, seeing as none of the Sisters of Battle art I've done is of a nature that I could post here >.>

I'd link /tg/ to this awesome thing, but, you know, I've been given a 3 day ban. Again. For allegedly posting non-worksafe things. Again.

And Liang Liang suddenly made me realise we need someone so mutated that they are an Unyuufex, killing people with hugztiem. Or perhaps that could be a monster the party encounters, and it ends up following them around as a pet, trying to show affection without killing them, and being too enthusiastic about hugging enemies (with spikes).
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Sample Characters

Unyuun

Can it be hugz tiem nao? :3

Raised from the biomass of dozens of orphans by a very developed Genestealer Cult, Unyuun only wants to be given love and affection, as well as recieve it Itself.

After Unyuun's "birth" from a biomass tank, the collective psyche's of the orphans that were used to create Hir bodymass somehow maintained trace elements of their most powerful emotions at death. Primarily fear and a sense of abandonment. Unyuun's primary motivators are 1) not being alone, and 2) recieving near constant affectionate physical contact from others.

As a result of Unyuun's psychological profile, S/He was resulted thouroughly unsuitable for the assault role that the Cult wanted to use Hir for. Instead Unyuun was used as a guard for various biomass processing and storage facilities in the bowels of the cult's territory. Hir sheer appearance alone drove many potential thieves from proceeding further into the Cult's supply depots.

Unyuun would have spent the rest of Hir life as a behemoth dwelling deep in the bowels of the Hive, if not for the fact that a large amount of supporting structure in the upper levels gave way and destroyed the bulk of the cult that had created hir. When her caretaker went to investigate, Unyuun wanted to follow, but the access tunnels were so strewn with debris that S/He was unable to follow.

Abandoned with tanks and tanks of Biomass, Unyuun was able to survive for several weeks before a scouting party form an other Cult, intent on scavenging the now defunt Genestealer cult's supplies, found Hir. Unyuun latched, literally, onto the first member of the scouting party and proceeded to give them many hugs and affectionate licks on the cheek.

Unyuun now lives in a nest deep in the cult's territory with at least one other cult member who S/He considers to be part of Hir extended family with Hir at all times. Unyuun is used as a heavy when the cult needs to take out enemy forces. However, she is usually unwilling to engage in combat, or anything else for that matter, unless her nestmates are in danger or are harmed.

[300/300 Spent]

Attributes:[150]

S: 5 A: 2 W: 1
D: 3 I: 1 C: 4 E: 5

Skills:[87]
Athletics (S): (Running, Climbing, Jumping) 5 [10/12]
Endurance (S): (Strain) 5 [10/12]
Heavy Weapons (S): (Flamers) 5 [10/12]
Martial Arts (S): (Natural Weapons) 5 [10/12]
Stealth (D): (Hieds!)3 [6/8]
Technology (I) (Hugztiem, Invisible Vehicles): 1 [-/3]

Perks: [60 pts]
Carapace (x6), Extra Arms (x2); Ghastly, Natural Weaponry, Free Running, Sprint, Tentacles (Long crab-claw arms)

Traits:

++Ambidexterous (Uses many arms at once, can carry the heavy flamer and attack with two claws from round to round)
++Alien Tech (Tyranid/Genestealer)
-Orphan (Also, made from orphans, so, like double orphaned)
---Unhidable Mutation (S/He's covered in armour plates, has 2 arms, 2 giant crab claws and can spit fire, you try to pass that off as human)
-Ugly (See above)
--Dumb (Unyuun speaks in an pidgin of some sort)

Equipment:
Flamer, Giant blankie (industrial strength tarp), necklace (assorted metal junk tied into a wire loop).

=========

What do you guys think? S/He's got 12 for melee and has either +2 weapons. A heavy flamer for a bit of range, and soak pool of 11 (Carapace 6, Str 5). Terrain doesn't slow hir, and sprint will also help get Unyuun close to other people.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

I realize that I sort of screwed up hir perks, and made S/he buy giant claws twice. I should maybe make the perk cost 10 points and two arms get replaced with giant claws?

I want to stat up a Khorne berzerker next. One that loevs kittehns. =^_^=

Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Why not just give him the Ambidexterity Trait and the Natural Weapon + Extra Arms (x2) mutation Perks. And have s/he Fight with two (or 4 in this case) natural weapons
Attacking With Two Weapons: .... If a character attacking with two weapons scores net hits on their attack, they may sacrifice one hit to resolve a basic hit with their secondary weapon.
Link that with a Maxed Strength/Martial Arts (specilized in its Natural weaponry) and you'll roll 15 dice every time you swipe in close combat (5 (Strength) + 5 (Martial Arts) + 2 (Specialization) + 3 (TWF)) and be a combat monster. Tentacles are cool to, but might not fit the theme of your character.

There are no limits on skill Maximums at character creation, right? Seems like we've been limiting it to 5 to have nice, round numbers...
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Chargen Rules wrote:A Warp Cult character can't purchase their skills up past 5.
Although it should say "at character creation." Also I put in the Warp Environment rules and the Navigator spell list.

-Username17
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

- Find the path's missing rules, right?
- What am I missing that'd keep calculating the future from being uncountably awesome?
- Am I crazy, or the ammo rules keep you from ... changing clips?
- Did I miss the cm - real measurement conversion?
- How much work do you think it'd take to actually make ... Obsidian Cult (more technical curiosity than actual interest, though)?

(I'd help if I was a Warhammerfag, or at least knew more than merely what can be read on this forum.)
Last edited by Bigode on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

I guess you are assumed to be changing clips whenever it is appropriate, the Ammunition number is when it jams/disaligns/vents plasma on you in the middle of combat and said fantastic awesome-spewer becomes an improvised close combat weapon.

1 cm = 0.5 m
in order to calculate an event successfully the psyker must get a greater number of hits than the number of events he has already calculated.
Calculate the Future is actually kinda ho-hum, as it is only a reroll you know about before you make the roll in an actual stated situation (as you must actually roll as if whatever you are calculating is actually happening at the time of invocation). It should work out so that a navagator will know the outcome to the next 5 to 7 stated critical rolls, and can allow those results to happen or reroll them. Its like a contingency effect, and it is not guartenteed to even come up. It dosen't actually fvckin' kill people, it just sets you up to retry doing whatever you were going to do anyway if you calculated a failure.
Last edited by Hicks on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Ok, Unyuun has been redone, dumped the made-up stuff, made sure that the math was done properly, and gave her Tentacles.

I'm assuming that if you have Natural weaponry + Tentacles + 2 Extra arms, that you can have two arms as long clawed arms, and two as normal arms?

It should be noted that S/He's not bad at short ranges as well, thanks to the heavy flamer, plus the skills and strength to operate it.

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Got more than a few more weapons in there.

-Username17
Maxus
Overlord

Post by Maxus »

Eagerly awaiting the bionics rules.

I've got an idea for a pair of Spacer brothers...
He jumps like a damned dragoon, and charges into battle fighting rather insane monsters with little more than his bare hands and rather nasty spell effects conjured up solely through knowledge and the local plantlife. He unerringly knows where his goal lies, he breathes underwater and is untroubled by space travel, seems to have no limits to his actual endurance and favors killing his enemies by driving both boots square into their skull. His agility is unmatched, and his strength legendary, able to fling about a turtle shell big enough to contain a man with enough force to barrel down a near endless path of unfortunates.

--The horror of Mario

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!