High School Adventures Forever!

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

Draco_Argentum wrote: Its the best time in your life because its so easy. Unless you had a seriously shit childhood school is less stressful than having a real job so you can pay real bills. Most people should be able to look back at school and realise that teenage agnst is way less important than the possibility of getting fired during the financial crisis.
While high school could have academically been crammed into a single semester of university, I would not have considered it an easy period of my life, even 12 years later. As Edgar Z. Friedenberg suggested, high school is much like prison in the sense that it is a place without real freedom or rights but only privileges which are gained by submitting to authoritarian structures and conforming to societal standards. For those of us not prone to be so malleable it was a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

Now I could easily go back to living the life of a poor college student for a decade or two fairly contently; but high school? Not for all the tea in China
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Draco_Argentum wrote:
Roy wrote:Well, the point I was trying to get at is that High School = bunch of fickle and useless bullshit, and that you seriously wouldn't even remember the fucking people from then accordingly. But then I had to go and get the people that do responding. So that didn't work. x.x
Even the geeky elitist jerks of TGD made friends in high school. I still see the my high school friends.

Its the best time in your life because its so easy. Unless you had a seriously shit childhood school is less stressful than having a real job so you can pay real bills. Most people should be able to look back at school and realise that teenage agnst is way less important than the possibility of getting fired during the financial crisis.
See, here's the thing though. High School is basically useless. From an academic standpoint, you could learn all you need to in one eighth the time, as someone else has already stated. From any other standpoint you can get the same things, except without the fickle, useless bullshit that lowers their value to a value equal to or close to 0. So basically it's a big ass waste of time. As there are, for all practical purposes no gains, ANY loss, however trivial results in a fail to the cost/benefit analysis check. Something, no matter how trivial WILL go wrong, therefore it is an auto fail. It is simply a question of degree, which is irrelevant to this case.

Now once you go beyond that, obviously things get more stressful. But now you can actually do shit, so the cost/benefit analysis check does not auto fail, and it is possible that enough things will go right to offset the things that can or do go wrong (such as the aforementioned job loss).

So in essence the highs now exist, and the lows are more pronounced. But it's actually fucking better overall because there is a non zero possibility of there being a net positive.

In any case I don't remember shit. I do remember one incident where I smited an idiot teacher pretty hard, but no names or anything. And that's about it. I brought it up because I was talking to my ladyfriend, the subject came up, and she used a line to that effect on me. I thought about it, realized I didn't remember shit either, and decided to see if we were alone in this. Apparently, yes.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Roy wrote:I thought about it, realized I didn't remember shit either, and decided to see if we were alone in this. Apparently, yes.
Yeah, everyone else can form long term memories.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I can't very well. Apparently depression causes that, and I spent a lot of time trying to forget as much as I could. It seemed to have some success, if not enough.

But yeah, I can't remember that much from my high school years, just enough to know I wouldn't go back there for a very large clock.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Draco_Argentum wrote:
Roy wrote:I thought about it, realized I didn't remember shit either, and decided to see if we were alone in this. Apparently, yes.
That's a cute straw man. Where did you get it?

But seriously, I am quite capable of formulating long term memories, as evidenced by the fact I still remember quite a few things from much earlier points in time. Those things however were >important<, and this is the key word here. Day after day of pointless drivel? That's just background noise to fade quickly over time.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Roy wrote:
Draco_Argentum wrote:
That's a cute straw man. Where did you get it?
The short reply is "this isn't a strawman".
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

We can call it 'irrelevant pointless sidetrack' then. And let's add more redundant adjectives too.

Or the classics.

YOU ARE WRONG.

Better?
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Nope. Try "I'm an idiot who can't even read the name of the author of the post right above mine to quote them".

Also, "I only have memories that involve jerking off to myself".
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Bigode wrote:Also, "I only have memories that involve jerking off to myself".
W-what are you saying here, Bigode? :( DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HOW I JERK OFF?! :mad:
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Bigode wrote:Nope. Try "I'm an idiot who can't even read the name of the author of the post right above mine to quote them".

Also, "I only have memories that involve jerking off to myself".
Ok, aside from just spewing random illogical bullshit here out of nowhere, what is your point? If it is to mock fail you succeeded. If it is to become it, you still succeeded.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Actually, he has a point. Memory works in funny ways. If something isn't connected to your current state of mind, it might totally be occluded from your memory. Hence, when you're depressed, you remember depressing things. Or when you're happy, you remember happy things.

-Crissa
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Also, apparently playing Tetris can help to reduce the strength of memories of traumatic events. So clearly everyone needs an emergency Gameboy with Tetris in case trauma occurs.