Alignment - because we ...ing can't let it pass

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Ah, yes. Because there have been countless stories about heroes overthrowing an evil king and causing a blasted mess by doing so. Right, that's a staple of fantasy right there.
That's because the stories either implement a better replacement than what happened (King Richard kicks King John out, Aragorn unites the human races, Captain America defeats the Krull and restores democracy, etc.) before the end of the story or the hero gives the 'rightful' government enough authority/power so that it can stop bad authorities from reasserting themselves (John Wayne appoints someone new as sheriff, the surviving villagers of the bandit raid learn how to defend themselves thanks to the samurai).

Some stories even just let the hero be an asshole and let the people they just freed collapse. Like in V for Vendetta.

The other alternative is to just end the story before we see the results of the hero's decision, but that seems like a copout, especially when you're playing a game with an ongoing story. On an actual tabletop game, if Robin Hood overthrows the government and King Richard isn't around to take up the slack, it's extremely likely that while Robin Hood goes back to the Crusades Nottingham descends into anarchy or another noble invades the lands and repeats the situation.

Robin Hood being unwilling to follow through for the people, especially when his actions will create the situations of a New Tyranny because he doesn't want to help rebuild society, then he's being just as evil as someone who rescues a maiden from a dragon and dumps her off in the middle of a desert because he's bored with the adventure and yearns for freedom.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kobajagrande
Master

Post by Kobajagrande »

CatharzGodfoot wrote: Yeah, the cliché is that the hero always becomes the new king and makes her own just rules. Which pretty much destroys the idea of a 'chaotic hero' in the above context.
Yes, but the cliche also goes that the hero frees the slaves, reduces the VAT, upholds human rights, creates social welfare system, reduces police oppression, allows freedom of religion, allows gay marriages, abortion, legalizes prostitution, legalizes marijuana, and overall, creates a wonderful little happy-go-lucky liberal kingdom where people live happily ever after.

As I said before, law vs chaos does not equal "society or not". Its about how people see that society should look like.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Yeah, the hero frees the slaves by creating laws against owning humans, he upholds human rights by making a list of them and upholding them with a military and police force (which will require the creation of more laws and more freedom infringement, sigh), funds his social welfare system by taxing people who do not want to give up the money, reduces police oppression by putting limits on police behavior like going through your shit or spying on you, etc. etc.

How exactly would a 'chaotic', 'do what you feel like' person agree to any of that?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Kobajagrande
Master

Post by Kobajagrande »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:How exactly would a 'chaotic', 'do what you feel like' person agree to any of that?
You live in the US, right?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Those people live with systems like that but it certainly doesn't mean that they like it.

Libertarians really, really don't want to pay taxes to fund a welfare state. But they do anyway, because the consequences for not doing so are harsher than doing so.

But we're talking about a hero who has the chance to make government in the way that they want to. Paying taxes to fund a welfare state probably doesn't stop you from being a libertarian. Making the next government have a welfare state or creating conditions that will ensure one happens when you have the power means that--guess what--you're not a libertarian!

Same for the chaotic good person. If they intentionally create or cause conditions that creates a government that does things that the CG person are against, then they don't actually support those things. They had a chance to create a society with more freedom but they blew it. You can't say that you're for 'do whatever you like' when you leave behind a welfare state or try to stamp out police brutality. You similarly can't say that you're for 'making sure that people live longer, healthier, happier lives' when you ghetto-stab King John and ride off into the sunset even when someone told you that the Merry Men are getting mutinous and there's no one to collect taxes for the military.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kobajagrande
Master

Post by Kobajagrande »

Seems like the answer is "yes".

Then you should know that "liberal society" is not an oxymoron.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

You mean liberal as in the 'classical' definition of 'more freedom'?

Again, that's a totally bullshit line. Society today has more laws and rules than, say, 200 years ago, but none of Rosseau/Hobbes/Locke would say that our society is less liberal than what they had back then.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Kobajagrande
Master

Post by Kobajagrande »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Society today has more laws and rules than, say, 200 years ago, but none of Rosseau/Hobbes/Locke would say that our society is less liberal than what they had back then.
... And that is my point.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

But a 'chaotic' person using PoliteNewb's definition would oppose the welfare state/military force/anti-coalburning laws as well. Because these things conflict with a 'no laws should be created that opposes freedom' mentality.

So how this person can oppose such things while simultaneously holding onto their 'good' status is a mystery.

Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp
Knight

Post by Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp »

Bill Bisco wrote:Neutral is just the degree between Lawful and Chaotic. Consider it a 45 degree angle, accepts and follows codes about half as much as a Lawful person would and breaks codes and is a free-r spirit about half as much as a Chaotic person would.
FrankTrollman wrote: That's stupid and you should feel stupid. You can't break codes more or less. You either stick to them or you don't. That's what codes are.
You can try to define codes as absolutes, but I feel they are better defined as a continuum.

For Example: Stealing. Stealing a guy's sandwich is bad. Stealing a guy's wallet is worse. Stealing a guy's laptop is worse than that. Stealing a guy's bank account is worse than that.

For Example: Physically Harming Others. Punching a guy is one thing. Stabbing him is worse, and outright killing him is even worse!

So yes, you can break the codes of stealing or harming others more or less.

Frank Trollman wrote:You don't spend more less of your day murdering innocent people, you either do it or you do not do it. If someone spent half as much of their day raping people you wouldn't consider them to be ambiguous on the issue of rape, nor would you consider them a possible ally in your ant-rape agenda. They frankly wouldn't look damn bit different to you than someone who spent twice as much of their time raping. Frankly, even a very dedicated rapist is going to spend very little of their actual time raping people.
There is a degree of difference between people who "rape all the time" and people who "rape some of the time" although that degree of difference isn't particularly meaningful or interesting (in my opinion).

I argue that there is a significant difference for example in a person who took advantage of someone once in their life and who did not later in their life and one who has done it multiple times in their life and is still continuing to do so. So I do consider the # of instances of such code breaks as significant.

By the way my comments were mainly aimed at Lawful vs. Chaotic, your comments are aimed at Evil vs. Good and being Neutral which is another discussion.
Frank wrote:There are different moral and philosophical systems. But they aren't on a fucking sliding scale. There are not points that are between one system and another system. Different people consider different things acceptable and praiseworthy, and they are just different. Some systems consider it a moral problem for dudes to sleep with other dudes or for people to eat dogs. Other systems don't have a problem with that stuff. And the grab bag of different things you could take offense to or not makes any moral compass that shares some things in common with two different opposing philosophies to very likely share very little with another that shares things in common with the same philosophies.

So in short, if "Chaotic Good" is a philosophy and "Lawful Good" is another philosophy, then you fucking can't just say that "Neutral Good" is a philosophy that happens to take some things from CG and some things from LG. Because that's a statement that describes an infinite number of philosophies, the vast majority of which share no more in common with each other than they do with LG or CG.

-Username17
I disagree, I think you absolutely can put actions and people on a sliding scale as I demonstrated in the continuum of stealing and hurting others above.

I mean this happens in real life. Somehow a certain set of beliefs and ideas got labeled as Liberal and another set of ideas and beliefs got labeled as Conservative. And, you can (and people do) place others on a scale testing their 'Liberalness' and their 'Conservativeness.' The more ideas that person agrees with from the Liberal List, slides that person on the scale towards 100% Liberal and likewise the more ideas that person agrees with from the Conservative List, slides that person on the scale towards 100% Conservative.

And you most certainly can call a person on that list in the middle of that scale a Moderate (or Neutral) who shares an equal # of ideas from the Liberal and Conservative List.

And indeed, you could have two 'moderates' who share opposite beliefs, and that's ok.

Now, the lists of Liberal and Conservative, are arbitrary, but you most certainly can make a scale of where people fall on it.

I used a political example, but I really don't want to get into politics, so please let's not go on a tangent on that subject.
Black Marches
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp wrote: You can try to define codes as absolutes, but I feel they are better defined as a continuum.

For Example: Stealing. Stealing a guy's sandwich is bad. Stealing a guy's wallet is worse. Stealing a guy's laptop is worse than that. Stealing a guy's bank account is worse than that.

For Example: Physically Harming Others. Punching a guy is one thing. Stabbing him is worse, and outright killing him is even worse!

So yes, you can break the codes of stealing or harming others more or less.
No, because the harm of theft is entirely context dependent. Stealing a woman's sandwich is worse than stealing all of her gold if it means that she starves. Stabbing a woman to remove her infected appendix is better than punching her.
Last edited by CatharzGodfoot on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp
Knight

Post by Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp »

Sure, context should be taken into account. However, those actions (with 1 context) and other actions (with a different context) still lie on the continuum. 8)

Peace,
Bill
Black Marches
"Real Sharpness Comes Without Effort"
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Bill wrote:For Example: Stealing. Stealing a guy's sandwich is bad. Stealing a guy's wallet is worse. Stealing a guy's laptop is worse than that. Stealing a guy's bank account is worse than that.
Seriously?

Because I would say that stealing is bad proportional to the harm it does to the victim, not to the value of the thing stolen. Stealing a sandwich from someone who did not have a laptop or a wallet or a bank account to steal would probably be worse than stealing a bank account from someone who had all of those.

In fact, most bank accounts have fraud protection or insurance of some kind, so stealing the contents would actually be less of an inconvenience than stealing a wallet or laptop which might contain irreplaceable personal items such as family photos or personal writings. So to me your hierarchy of stealing is almost completely inverse of what I would make.

Which is my point. The difference in philosophies is not linearly scaled. It is not that I have more or less tolerance for the acceptable level of theft, it's that I have a completely different rubric to determine the wrongness of theft. Heck, I don't even consider copyright violation to be theft, because I have a different and radical notion of what intellectual property should mean and how it should be handled.

You're never going to be able to elucidate the difference between points of view by asking everyone to put set a level of how much theft they feel is OK. Even a simple sounding question like "Is stealing wrong?" has an answer that is extremely complex and has a lot of caveats.

-Username17
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Bill Bisco: Isometric Imp wrote:Sure, context should be taken into account. However, those actions (with 1 context) and other actions (with a different context) still lie on the continuum. 8)

Peace,
Bill
So you're saying that, given a certain environment, actions have various utilities for various people?
MartinHarper
Knight-Baron

Post by MartinHarper »

PoliteNewb wrote:Chaotic people believe they should be allowed to go wherever people can't stop them from going; the only constraints on their freedom of movement is their respect for other people (NOT laws) or someone else's sword.
In that case, society is a voluntary organisation that should make a chaotic person perfectly happy. The laws aren't universal codified agreements. They're just words on paper. You're 'free' to ignore them all. Then, a member of the police is 'free' to go to your house, drag you out into the street, and throw you in front of a judge. The judge is 'free' to go through a legal ritual and sentence you to prison. The court police are 'free' to drag you into a jail. The jailors are 'free' to keep you there for the rest of your life.

There are no rights but the right to act as you choose, and no responsibilities except the responsibility to accept the consequences of your actions.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

My two cents:

In my campaign I don't use alignments for anything that doesn't involve magic (like outsiders or undead). But for the cases I do use it, I use the following interpretation:
Lawful = likely to behave in a predictable way (all things being equal)
Chaotic = not likely to behave in a predictable way (all things being equal)
Good = likely to behave mercifully (all things being equal)
Evil = likely to behave cruelly (all things being equal)

The "chaos = independence" interpretation makes no sense to me. If I have to read another message point claiming that the U.S. Supreme Court (e.g.) is a Chaotic Good institution, I'll blow my brains out.
Kobajagrande
Master

Post by Kobajagrande »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:But a 'chaotic' person using PoliteNewb's definition would oppose the welfare state/military force/anti-coalburning laws as well.
Good thing we weren't talking about his definition, no?
ggroy
Knight

Post by ggroy »

Last edited by ggroy on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

ggroy wrote: In this interpretation, would:

Osama Bin Laden = Lawful Evil? (ie. Osama is very predictable in what he says and the types of deeds he supports.)
Osama Bin Laden = Chaotic Evil? (ie. Osama is very unpredictable in what types of attacks he plans for.)

Wile E. Coyote = Lawful Neutral? (ie. Wile E. is very predictable in his failures.)
Wile E. Coyote = Chaotic Neutral? (ie. Wile E.'s inventions and plans of attack are wildly erratic, and backfire on him such as falling off a cliff).
I don't know enough about Bin Laden to judge; maybe Lawful Evil or Neutral Evil. Note: being consistent in your actions doesn't preclude being clever.

Wile E. Coyote is a paragon of Lawful Evil. He tries to commit murder against a specific individual, day after day, week after week.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I don't know enough about Bin Laden to judge; maybe Lawful Evil or Neutral Evil. Note: being consistent in your actions doesn't preclude being clever.
So what does being consistent preclude if it does not preclude changing up your actions? Seriously, if having a high Bluff skill doesn't make you Chaotic, what the fuck does "Chaotic means acting Unpredictably" even mean?

Is finishing your quests and your harvests a Lawful act? If so,does this mean that Chaotic people are identifiable by the fact that they suck at life?

Please define Lawful and Chaotic in such a manner as a Lawful person would be compelled to stab a Chaotic person in the face over the distinction and also that neither Lawful nor Chaotic meant "ineffective."

-Username17
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

FrankTrollman wrote:
So what does being consistent preclude if it does not preclude changing up your actions?
If one were in the exact same situation twice, one would be likely to act in the same way.
Frank Trollman wrote:Is finishing your quests and your harvests a Lawful act? If so,does this mean that Chaotic people are identifiable by the fact that they suck at life?
They might suck at living a regimented life, yes.
Frank Trollman wrote:Please define Lawful and Chaotic in such a manner as a Lawful person would be compelled to stab a Chaotic person in the face over the distinction
No.
and also that neither Lawful nor Chaotic meant "ineffective."
A Lawful priest or judge would not necessarily be "ineffective", and a chaotic artist or criminal would not necessarily be "ineffective" either. Impulsive does not mean stupid (although it's possible to act impulsive and stupid). Consistent does not mean stupid (although it's possible to act consistent and stupid).

But like I said, I don't use alignments for non-magical creatures in my game; I think 90% of people are probably neutral in real life.
Last edited by hogarth on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

If one were in the exact same situation twice, one would be likely to act in the same way.
So "Lawful" to you means bad at feinting and dodging. Good to know your definition is just as retarded as every other version out there.

-Username17
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

FrankTrollman wrote:
So "Lawful" to you means bad at feinting and dodging. Good to know your definition is just as retarded as every other version out there.
Huh? Again, you're mixing up "Lawful" and "Stupid". A Lawful strategic genius is still a strategic genius.
Last edited by hogarth on Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

hogarth wrote:
Huh? Again, you're mixing up "Lawful" and "Stupid". A Lawful strategic genius is still a strategic genius.
Lawful as "deterministic" and Chaotic as "nondeterministic" is a bad definition. First, it excludes Neutral X alignments - a system (including peoples' brains) is either deterministic or nondeterministic, not "part deterministic, part not". Systems that are a combination of determinism and nondeterminism are .

Second, humans are supposedly able to be either Lawful or Chaotic based on personality and ideals. The thing that determines how a human behaves is the brain/mind complex. But this complex is either deterministic or nondeterministic - and that's based on the brain. That gives a few options:

1) Humans' brains are nondeterministic on the basic level. That means that Lawful characters are not using their mind's full prowess (i.e., they only use deterministic algorithms when they could get advantage from using strictly better nondeterministic ones). This makes Lawful = less competent.

2) Humans' brains are deterministic, but some have behavior patterns which vary based on an internal state that varies without regard to external circumstance. This means that humans are actually never Chaotic, in that they can be predicted if you are smart enough or can access their Chaos-mimicing bits (telepathy, etc). Also, the fauXaotic ones are probably using less efficient methods some of the time and thus less competent.

3) Humans' brains are deterministic, and Lawful characters don't use "nondeterministic-resembling" methods. This, like (1), means Lawful = less competent.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Quantumboost wrote:Lawful as "deterministic" and Chaotic as "nondeterministic" is a bad definition.
I won't use it then. Problem solved!