He knows about timed hits!

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

I don't think this general idea is innately horrible in theory but all the specific examples of it sure are.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

In that case, how do you feel one could implement such a concept in a less-than-abominable fashion? I feel I've had some success with abstracting mass combat using computer games, but nothing else. I'd be interested in your take.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Bar bet style minigames fit well into Munchausen, just use them to replace duels.

"Damn you for a Welshman, sir, I'd as soon believe you could catch this coin on the back of your hand!"
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

That sounds viable. My group does do a lot of Magical Tea Party, and outright Munchausen wouldn't be much of a stretch.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

I have no idea, honestly, but I'm thinking about it. : )
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Okay, here's a semi-serious suggestion.

Righteous Dudes: The Game about Ninjas Kidnapping the President

In this, everyone starts out with some kind of limited problem-solving resources. Each type has a point value and maybe stuff it is Super Effective against. When you use it, take a specific arbitrary reflex test. Other players rate you "Meh", "Rad", or "Totally Tubular". These mean half, normal, and double point values respectively. Highest votes win, tie means "Rad".

Challenges faced are determined by rolling on a table. Each has a Threat rating you need to spend equal or more points too, and also a subtype if we want the Super Effective system in place.
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

Why not just make a drinking game out of it- every time you want to attack or make a skill check or whatever you take a glass of your alcoholic beverage of choice filled based on the DC- if you down it you succeed but if you pause you fail.

The DM will need slightly different rules to reduce the risk of alcohol poisoning but I'm sure you'd have more fun than pissing about with votes.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

One mechanic I seriously considered for a roleplaying game I was writing was incorporating a reflex-based mechanic into initiative. I believe that the game was going to use playing cards for initiative (it was a Western game) and that there was something like the card-slapping in Egyptian Rat Screw that occured when there was an initative tie.

I can't remember the specifics and the game never actually got written. (I've written others to more-or-less completion, but that game was lost to the attrition pile.)
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Parthenon wrote:Why not just make a drinking game out of it- every time you want to attack or make a skill check or whatever you take a glass of your alcoholic beverage of choice filled based on the DC- if you down it you succeed but if you pause you fail.

The DM will need slightly different rules to reduce the risk of alcohol poisoning but I'm sure you'd have more fun than pissing about with votes.
The sort of thing I am envisioning does seem well suited to some kind of drinking game. Only problem is, I don't drink.

Attacks and skill checks seem a bit too complex for this. I prefer the idea of something with no RNG beyond randomized starting resources and encounters. Also the capricious will of all direct participants and amused onlookers.

Example Resources

- Ninja Star [2 points] (Super Effective against [Glowing Weak Point] and [Flying])
----[Toss a coin in the air, then try and and catch it. Use the back of your hand for bonus edginess. -1/+0/+2

- Ninja Teleport [3 Points] (Super Effective against [Big] and [Hostile Environment])
----[Try to do a cartwheel. -2/+1/+3

- Ninja Piggy Bank [3 Points] (Super Effective against [Corrupt] and [Vampire])
----[Jingle some metal stuff together. Stylishly. +0/+0/+4

- Ninja Surf Board [3 Points] (Super Effective against [Water] and [Ranged Attack])
----[Quote a thematically appropriate line from the movie Surf Ninjas. +1/+2/+1
Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Post by Caedrus »

Schwarzkopf wrote:I don't think this general idea is innately horrible in theory but all the specific examples of it sure are.
I'll grant at least that. It is conceivable that there would be a good version appropriate for certain audiences.

Not me, probably, but I'm not going to call other people's fun badwrongfun.
Last edited by Caedrus on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.