[After Sundown] PbP Campaign Discussion

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Space Jesus
NPC

Post by Space Jesus »

Considering the transformation of MiGo generally occurs around puberty, my character will have to be younger than most, practically still a child. I was planning to have him be the seventh surviving son of a noble family from Barcelona who is being groomed for the clergy because of his generally sickly constitution (MiGo pains, etc) the unlikeliness of him ever inheriting a title. He likely has no particular goals at the beginning other than to please his teachers (which may be an issue, because I know squat about the Catholic church) and to please his parents by positioning himself to move upward in the church hierarchy. This would give him an in with the other religiously-associated folks and explain why he's able to read.
PEW-PEWing for your sins.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

At least, two of the group seem to have a church connection. a Canterbury tales style group pilgrimage could be cool.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Any update on this?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I'm waiting for others to post their basic character ideas.

The pilgrimage is an excellent idea for getting everyone together and spending time to forge a bond in life before becoming monsters.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
the_engineer_0404
NPC

Post by the_engineer_0404 »

I like the pilgrimage idea too. Any idea on a starting point? Are their any popular spots in Spain in 1500?
Sip Sip Sipping on orphan tears.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

The party will be, for reasons you must decide on your own, together as part of a caravan on the Way of St James pilgrimage.

Let's get basic character sheet for everyone on this thread (human, obviously). Once that's done, we can begin laying down ground rules and then I'll set up the RP thread.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Space Jesus
NPC

Post by Space Jesus »

Do you want the sheets on here or in email?
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

on here
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Space Jesus
NPC

Post by Space Jesus »

It looks like Logroño may be a good place to have all of the people from various areas come together in a single group, if they don't meet up before then in Barcelona or something. I'll work on my character and try to have it up before I go to OKC.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Logroño definitely works because it seems to be one of the first places in Spain where almost all the pilgrimage routes from across Europe meet. This allows for an easy meetup points.

My only problem is the lack of a language that is known by all. The clergy normally use Latin. The royalty normally use French. Spanish is for the most part only used in Spain.

The Clergy is probably one of the few people who are taught other languages.

If we want to hand wave this, I can understand it.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

It's only a Rating 1 in resources to be fluently bilingual, and the clergy amongst the party are expected to be that at minimum (so are traders and many nobles). Also consider that this is Europe, where multilingualism is more common, but except for one's native tongue (or the more educated), many foreign languages are going to be without grammar ("Fire bad!"). As per the book's resource, doing slow, basic communication is possible; just not with enough eloquence to use the character's Persuasion and Backgrounds.

Considering that Europe is more diverse than modern America, I could see giving out a single Language 1 resource for free, but that will require a real concern of intra-party communication. We'll see once stats are posted.
Last edited by virgil on Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

The time of the culling has begun. Any of you who want to play, post your characters. If they are not posted by Sunday night, you will be dropped and the game will continue onward.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
elissa
NPC

Post by elissa »

Sidonie was raised by the catholic church. Her family, it's whereabouts and the circumstances around her arriving to the church are unknown and she does not elaborate more except that she has been there since a small child, with little memory of her life before that. She is a reasonably pretty girl (enough to notice, not enough to look twice) and appears to be in her late teens/early to mid-twenties.

Along with a gift of voice that was once used during during church service, she showed a talent for extracting what she wants to know from people either with a friendly yet disarming smile or a cold stare that easily makes one believe she may not be all in her right mind; saying just the right compliment or subtle disquiet to get tongues wagging - at least a little.

When not making people talk about the horrible wrongs they have done against the church, she is working towards her 'higher calling' even if others view it at best strange and inappropriate. She is busy researching cases of 'supernatural' (read: evil) activity that must be the root cause of all the problems the Inquisition wishes to end. After all, not all those women and children could have been witches right?

She goes by the name Sidonie de la Santa Hermana (of the holy sisters) with her peers but generally only in situations where a surname is required. Her actual surname that she was born with, she keeps to herself. She has travelled to (Name of Starting Location here) covertly and alone, keeping her cause and purpose hidden to others, choosing to appear as a travelling minstrel of reasonable means, not quite poor but not quite rich either.

Character Sheet
Last edited by elissa on Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Space Jesus
NPC

Post by Space Jesus »

I'll see if I can get it done by tomorrow, but is there any way I could get you to extend the deadline to Monday night? I didn't finish it last night (I have the story and concept worked out, I need to stat it up) and I'll be working through tomorrow and on Monday. I can finish it easily when I get off of work on Monday because I can stay up without completely wrecking my sleep for a day of work.
tehtow
NPC

Post by tehtow »

Short Version: Noble born
Long version: to come when I'm not at a 100 degree fever.

Rodrigo
You seem trustworthy. Would you care to join us in our noble quest?
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Alright, one more night as an extension, making the deadline a full week from my initial declaration. Sanadaookami's character was made in my physical presence before sleep was required, and the background/sheet checks out there.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Squeezing into the deadline

Brother Hinzo Cornilles

Edit: fixed attribute mistake (started them at 0 rather than 1)
Also redistributed some pts in background so the number of pts ended at 27 rather than 30.
Last edited by Cynic on Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Space Jesus
NPC

Post by Space Jesus »

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Is there a cheat sheet available for After sundown?
Space Jesus
NPC

Post by Space Jesus »

Also, thanks very much to elissa. I totally ripped off your character sheet, I hope you're not too put out. I would have asked first, but it was kind of down to the wire and yours just looked so tidy and organized.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Should replace "PP" with "EDG". You have an (unlisted) Edge score, but no PP.

And Cynic, what would be an After Sundown cheat sheet?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

elissa
NPC

Post by elissa »

Haha, no worries. I really don't mind at all. I just did it that way because my OCD told me to.

Edit:
I didn't put in PP because I either forgot or couldn't figure out what it would be on an origin toon. I forget which. Could be both, I could see myself leaving it for last and then forgetting.

That is what Virgil is for. :D
Last edited by elissa on Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Yeah, I ripped of Elissa's sheet as well. Thank you ^_^.

Catharz - example mechanics for battle and other dice rolls. Maybe a few definitions of key terms.

My meds these days keep me so nauseated that I haven't been able to read all of Sundown. That would be my reasoning behind this.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Cynic wrote:Catharz - example mechanics for battle and other dice rolls. Maybe a few definitions of key terms.

My meds these days keep me so nauseated that I haven't been able to read all of Sundown. That would be my reasoning behind this.
Is something like this useful? It's missing stealth rules and weapons at the very least.

Code: Select all

Resistances
    Physical: Strength + Edge.
    Social: Willpower + Edge.
    Mental: Intuition + Edge.

Combat
    Initiative: Agility + Intuition

Attack thresholds:   Adjacent    0 or Agility + Combat
                            Near        1
                            Short       2
                            Way out     3
                            Extreme     4
                            Remote      5

Soaking wounds: Physical resistance (buy at 3 dice per hit with armor, max = rating).

Wound severity
        Net damage  Description     Boxes
            0       Petty           1
            1       Ordinary        3
            2       Serious         6
            3       Incapacitating  10
            4+      Terminal        10 (and you are dying)
            7+      Death           Instagib

Movement rates
        Description Speed   Penalty
        Slow        4m      0
        Careful     10m     0
        Ordinary    18m     2
        Rapid       27m     3 (no penalty for close combat)
        Exhausting  60m     4 (no penalty for close combat)
        Draining    100m    5

Going all-out: Strength + Agility as a complex action; increase speed 10% per hit.

Running away
            Short chase: If the pursuer wins initiative or is already moving faster, they win the chase.
                             Otherwise, the quarry gets away...
                             But, the loser can attempt challange the winner with a Agility + Athletics or Agility + Stealth stunt as a simple action. Anyone who fails by more than 1 hit wipes out.
                             If the challanged makes the TN, they win the chase with a simple action.
                             If the challanged gets net hits, they win the chase with a free action.
                             Otherwise, the challanger wins instead.
                             But, the pursuer can choose to continue with a long chase.

Long chase: Each round, the quarry can attempt a stunt to escape. If they don't, the pursuer can attempt a stunt to catch up. If the quarry gets more net hits, the lead widens. If the pursuer gets more hits, the lead narrows. If either fails a stunt, they wipe out.

Caught: Participants in the chase are at close range for a round.
                Narrow lead: Stunts are usually Agility + Athletics (on foot), or Intuition + Driving (in a vehicle).The pursuer can keep their eye on the quarry at all times.
                Wide lead Stunts are usually Intuition + Stealth.
                Escaped: The quarry leaves the scene.

Detecting Magic: Intuition + Perception (T 2 to detect; T 4 for direction).
    Astral: Logic + Operations (magnetite).
    Infernal: Logic + Survival (clean water).
    Orphic: Charisma + Animal Ken (flowers).

Dispelling Magic: Agility + Athletics or Intuition + Rigging (throwing), or Agility + Combat (smooth barrel).
    Astral: Clean salt (Infernal)
    Infernal: Clean sand (Orphic)
    Orphic: Live seeds (Astral)

Social Tests
    Banter: Charisma + (shared) Background.
    Interrogaiton: Logic + Intimidation (raise threshold with Willpower + Intimidation).
    Leading questions: Charisma + Persuasion (detect with Intuition + Empathy).

[Debate]
        Contention of details: Logic + Research (requires relevant Background; weak against insults).
        Contention of disagreement: Intuition + Background (weak against straw men).
        Contention of reference: Logic + Background.
        Contention of validity: Charisma + Background (question with Intuition + Background).
        Appeal to authority: Willpower + Tactics (requires authority; net hits overcome bad morale).
        Fast talk: Willpower + Persuasion (weak against contention of disagreement; if you don't have a relevant background and the targets do, increase the threshold; lasts only a couple of minutes, but net hits increase duration).
        Appeal to emotion: Willpower + Empathy (weak against the more informed).
        Appeal to force: Strength + Intimidation (for personal threats), or Willpower + Intimidation (for impersonal threats) (resist with Willpower or Strength; shows of force help; can make enemies).
        Appeal to style: Charisma + Expression (requires shared Background; weak against reason; no need for facts).
        Appeal to insults: Charisma + Intimidation (requires target; weak against the respected; weak against Appeal to insults).

The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Catharz: That works. Thanks a lot.