Halloween costumes

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

We got my almost-three-year-old a fairy princess costume yesterday, so I'll probably throw on the chainmail again this year when we go trick or treating.

Taking her to the Halloween store was interesting: she very quickly noticed all the gory decorations (the guy with no skin or legs hanging upside down and the guy holding onto his own severed arm with a serious gash in his head revealing brain matter) and started asking questions.

"What's all that red stuff on his head? Why's he have no skin? Where are his legs? Why's he have a bad owie? Why's he have an arm? Is he a bad guy? Why are they just decorations? Why [do people put out] scary decorations?"

Ah, kids. At least she was curious and not scared.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Decided that my best costume option was Hellboy, due to suitability of body shape, magnitude of costume relative to amount and difficulty of work required and the fact that it's a costume I've been wanting to do.

Making the Right Hand of Doom is slow going, due to drying time for glue and lack of more binder clips. It won't be anything amazing, but I'm hoping it'll be good enough to impress people who buy rather than make. hoping to get it put together and painted before I go to bed and be able to devote tomorrow to working on the horn stubs. I've got a party on Friday, hence the forced work schedule.

edit: anyone know a relatively cheap, but palatable cigar?
Last edited by Prak on Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

"Cheap" and "palatable" don't usually go hand-in-hand.

That being said, I recommend taking a lesson from the gangstas and get some of the cigars normally used for rolling blunts (except don't roll them as blunts, because weed is bad, m'kay?)

I like some Game, green flavor. They have them at the gas stations around here.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

yeah, I know. I was hoping to go with a real cigar, I'll see what the tobacconist around here recommends, and if all else fails, then the gas station cigar works.

I like this costume because I'm starting small and cheap, and can make it more complex as time goes on. This year I'm just doing the basics, hand and face, normal clothing otherwise. Next year I'll hopefully have the Samaritan. I can improve the hand as time and money permit, first making something sturdier (this year is craft foam, next year it'd be nice to at least make a proper sturdy latex and foam rubber hand).etc
Last edited by Prak on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Cheap and palatable... I would recommend Wolf Brothers Crooks (the cigar smoked by the Man With No Name) but I am informed they no longer make them.

That being said, I would recommend the flavored ones by CAO, like Eileen's Dream (irish cream flavored). Not dirt cheap exactly, but reasonable and very tasty.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

At this point I don't know if I am going anywhere. My first priority is for my "cotton friend" which is actually a stuffed lifesized cotton body with plastic hands. If I get to do something, he's in the closet for the night.

Basically I have a nice outfit I use when attending my RPI hockey games (jersey, and the whole nine yards) and I just got one of those Friday 13th masks with the hockey face cover. It should look ... unique.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

I'm thinking: Comedian from Watchmen . .
The later/older one, to be exact.
Depends on how the teeth stuff works out and how i have to work on that day . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

progress pictures on RHoD:
Image Image
(yes, it is a lazy day, why do you ask?)

JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

I like your Guitar Hero jammies, Prak.

And the hand looks awesome, BTW.

I'm definitely doing a demilich costume, trying now to decide whether the teeth gems should have little screaming adventurerers behind them.
Last edited by JigokuBosatsu on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Heh, thanks Jigoku.

Hand is now all glued together with the help of a hot glue gun picked up by my mom, including craft foam (same material cuff is made from) applied to fingers and back of hand, and knuckles glued back on, and it has it's first coat of spray paint.

Horn stubs are having glue set (cup style welding goggles with foam applied to lenses and rims) and will be painted before I go to bed. Though I do now have a strip of red spray paint on the knuckles of my right hand... any clue how to get that off?

I took pics at each step along the way figuring it might be a good tutorial to make and throw on instructables, interest?

Count Arioch the 28th
King

That would be nice. The hand looks pretty good (and on a side note, you look like you've lost some weight from the last pic I've seen of you.)

As for the spraypaint, there isn't a lot that will work, but go to the hardware store and get some of the water-free hand cleaner. I recommend Gojo hand cleaner myself, but any sort of mild solvent cleaner is what you need for best effects. Keep in mind that it's harsh, so don't use it very often. I can tell you from fixing heavy machinery and painting that Gojo takes most shit off.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'll put it together Sunday or so. Don't think I've lost weight, pretty sure I've gained rather. heh, maybe it's the hand throwing things off.

the paint on my knuckle is surprisingly lighter now, so I may just not worry about it. depends on how it looks Sunday evening, I guess (work on Monday).

everything's painted now, so I'm hitting the sack, and will see how things look in the morning.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'll put it together Sunday or so. Don't think I've lost weight, pretty sure I've gained rather. heh, maybe it's the hand throwing things off.

the paint on my knuckle is surprisingly lighter now, so I may just not worry about it. depends on how it looks Sunday evening, I guess (work on Monday).

everything's painted now, so I'm hitting the sack, and will see how things look in the morning.

tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

And here he is (note: the little orphan anne effect is caused by the fact that the latex masx exposes the entire eye of the person wearing it and right now it's being worn by a white cotton blob in the shape of a head.
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

I've decided to get myself a pink parasol and go as the Monster in the Darkness from OotS
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Neeeek wrote:I've decided to get myself a pink parasol and go as the Monster in the Darkness from OotS
Costume of the year.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Costume for next year.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Prak: That's awesome. I'm guessing you've got red paint on your skin.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Costume makeup, but yeah. Everyone loved it.

JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Looks awesome, man. I'll be putting the jewels in my demilich skull tonight, will post pics when I'm all done.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

better pic (with Wolverine!)

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Prak_Anima wrote:Costume makeup, but yeah. Everyone loved it.
It looks great!
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Great costume!
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Prak:

Masterfully constructed, sir!

I'm getting the finishing touches on my Duke Nukem costume tomorrow. Not nearly as impressive as Prak's costume, but I think it'll work out alright.