Game of Thrones: Rape & Bestiality is now mainstream?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

TheFlatline wrote:
angelfromanotherpin wrote:
Fucks wrote:Which character got turned into a dog?
Varamyr Sixskins is a warg. It's a power set which includes projecting your consciousness into the bodies of animals (and sometimes people). He does not actually 'turn into' anything.
And if memory serves, the dog-fucking thing is considered a really Bad Thing to do.

Game of Thrones is popular for a number of reasons: Titties, soap opera-esque plotlines, good casting, some good storytelling, and the utter willingness to kill off major characters. He's pulled most of the intrigue and individual plot threads from history and wove a bunch of magic and scandal.

I still don't get the point of this thread. Yeah sure there's some kinky sex shit in the books but as AH pointed out, that's nothing new. Have you even *heard* of The 120 Days of Sodom? Justine? That shit was written nearly 250 years ago.

Also, you're not paying attention to Game of Thrones if you think it's a no/low magic world. By the end of season 3, you have inhuman ice creatures that can bring the dead back, fire breathing dragons, a woman who is basically immune to fire/heat, dark healing magic, a chick who gives birth to shadow demon assassins, a dude whose blood can catch a sword on fire, a priest who has brought a man back from dead *six* times (and will bring him back a few more times), an assassin who can change his face at will, and an entire *family* of people who can project their minds into animals. And I'm sure I'm missing a few things like wildfire.

The entire point of the story according to GRRM is that this is a world where magic is returning, suddenly and swiftly. So in that respect, it shares more in common with Shadowrun than with a no/low magic game.
ASoIaF qualifies as low magic because those things are still incredibly rare, and they're not all that powerful. One guy can raise one person from the dead, but can't heal his wounds. A few ice faeries can raise large armies of the undead, but they're the villains and they're far away from the main plot. The faceless men are adept at shapeshifting, but they aren't actually that powerful. They're good at infiltration and make decent assassins, but that isn't exactly high magic. Dragons are dragons. Shadow assassins are nice, but also aren't something that can be spammed.

When I think high magic, I think wizard from outer space teleports into your bathroom while you're on the toilet, kills everyone in your castle with a single spell, and then teleports home and has his succubus harem fetch him an sandwich from an eatery on the shores of the river Phlegethon.

Characters in A Song of Ice and Fire do not teleport to other planets, visit heaven and hell, fistfight literal gods, or level cities with a single word. Supernatural is more high-magic than Game of Thrones is.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

High magic is not the same as high level. Lord of the Rings qualifies as high magic because magic is all over the damn place, but it's also really weak pathetic magic that doesn't make a huge difference on a strategic or economic scale, so it remains firmly low level.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Chamomile wrote:High magic is not the same as high level. Lord of the Rings qualifies as high magic because magic is all over the damn place, but it's also really weak pathetic magic that doesn't make a huge difference on a strategic or economic scale, so it remains firmly low level.
I'm pretty sure that Lord of the Rings doesn't have all that much magic. Even the titular rings are more of a product of superior craftsmanship than magic.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

I don't really know what to make of GRRM. That lesbian scene sounds hot, but neither the books nor the TV show have really enticed me. I guess the prospect of 98% of the cast being assholes and 100% of the cast having a chance to die at any given moment just makes me not care about any of them, though I've heard it's not ALL angst and bullshit like that. The only reason I'd maybe read it is to hone my own writing skills, but even then I can't really be bothered apparently. Also, I think (correct me if I am wrong) low magic has more to do with WHAT the spells can accomplish rather than how wide-spread they are.

Edit: Anyone have a proper definition of low magic / low fantasy?
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

hyzmarca wrote:
Chamomile wrote:High magic is not the same as high level. Lord of the Rings qualifies as high magic because magic is all over the damn place, but it's also really weak pathetic magic that doesn't make a huge difference on a strategic or economic scale, so it remains firmly low level.
I'm pretty sure that Lord of the Rings doesn't have all that much magic. Even the titular rings are more of a product of superior craftsmanship than magic.
it isn't high magic, it is low magic. Theodin had no magic items, nor did any of the hobbits or Rhohirum. only those upper-class and the fellowship had magic items. battle of Helm's Deep would have had magic items if it was high magic, and i think only the horn had magical properties there. 30,000 combatants and one artifact. pretty fucking low magic if you ask me.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Hobbits had magic shortswords/daggers? (in the book)
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Yeah, the hobbits got barrow-blades.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

icyshadowlord wrote:Edit: Anyone have a proper definition of low magic / low fantasy?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_fantasy
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

...that "official" definition sucks balls if you ask me.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

icyshadowlord wrote:...that "official" definition sucks balls if you ask me.
LotR is categorized as high fantasy, but doesn't even take place in another world, so I don't know what that ramble was about.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

icyshadowlord wrote:...that "official" definition sucks balls if you ask me.
remember low fantasy does not equal low magic per say. nor does high fantasy equal high magic.

if conan is low fantasy because its setting, well there is plenty of magic you can add in there, it doesn't define anything other than location. either on earth, or not on earth.

i guess Jules Verne would all be high fantasy by that 3 part system under the "world within a world" one.

nothing really defines high magic or low magic. Harry Potter would be both high and low depending on which world you were a part of, muggle or wizarding.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

That is really dumb. By that definition, X-Men is low fantasy (and Harry Potter should be counted too. Their World-within-a-world clause is bullshit)
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

I wouldn't put too much stock in the definition. The term is (obviously) used differently by different people, and you're looking to a wiki for a sense of legitimacy on an opinion.
Stubbazubba
Knight-Baron

Post by Stubbazubba »

The captivation of sexual exploration is good for a passive audience, but there's a mile-high barrier between that and actually putting it into active role-playing. So no, I don't think it'll get into more RPGs, simply because of the nature of the different mediums.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

I love erotic stories. I have absolutely 0 interest in doing anything remotely sexytimes involving the people I /game/ with. That's just.. eeeew.
Atmo
Master

Post by Atmo »

Playing erotic/sexual stories on your table? I'm used to it. Sometimes i call my players only for that; and they play it, of course.
☆ *World games are shit ☆ M&M is shit ☆ Fate fans gave me cancer ☆
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

I'm all for playing erotic stories on the table, as long as you're doing it privately with other consenting adults and the character sheets are stain-proof.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

nockermensch wrote:I'm all for playing erotic stories on the table, as long as you're doing it privately with other consenting adults and the character sheets are stain-proof.
My friend once said that Maid the RPG needed to be a LARP, and that you could make a fortune offering sexytime sessions to freaks just running LARP games.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

All of the people at my gaming table are sexually unattractive, myself included. I don't think anyone would be interested, even if it wasn't super awkward.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

In Ancient History's Conan/CoC game I'm playing a snake-themed sex magician from a culture that is totally cool with incest/child temple prostitution/necrophilia/bestiality. From a strictly game mechanics perspective this is due to 'carousing' being a far more efficient spell point recharge method than human sacrifice, or sleep/meditation. While I hope it would be needless to say, I should probably set the other players at ease by stating that I'm looking to treat that with a very light hand, in that getting high on lotus smoke with one's slaves while babbling nigh incoherently about the Great Old Ones is patently offensive on its own.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

For a number of reasons, the "fantasy roleplaying" I'm willing to do at the table is very different than the "fantasy roleplaying" I'd be willing to do in the bedroom.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Neurosis
Duke

Re: Game of Thrones: Rape & Bestiality is now mainstream?

Post by Neurosis »

OgreBattle wrote:Has it influenced tabletop gaming though? Have any companies taken note and released products with an 'edginess' like Game of Thrones, not shying from barbarians raping everything or have druids get banged by their animal companions?
Um, are you aware there is a Game of Thrones roleplaying game? At least one, possibly two.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Shrapnel wrote:Unnecessarily graphic and detailed scenes of sex and violence are really dumb and, well, unnecessary. In my opinion, they detract from the story, no matter how well they're written; they just turn the story into The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 93: Exploding Boobs in Your Vagina.
Nothing in GoT is unnecessary except the goddamn food descriptions. Everything else serves a necessary thematic and/or literary purpose.

And you sound like a puritan/prude. Then again, I love blood and titties (but not in combination), lesbian stripper ninjas for the win.
Last edited by Neurosis on Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

All of the people at my gaming table are sexually unattractive, myself included. I don't think anyone would be interested, even if it wasn't super awkward.
You know, not all sex in gaming involves sex in gaming being sexy gaming. Sometimes sexual and adult topics in gaming aren't sexy or titillating, especially rape and bestiality.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Schwarzkopf wrote:
Nothing in GoT is unnecessary except the goddamn food descriptions. Everything else serves a necessary thematic and/or literary purpose.
I haven't seen a single sex scene with Dany or Jon Snow that wasn't completely superfluous.
Last edited by Chamomile on Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.