So, what's everyone's game design pedigree in the Den?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Koumei wrote:I can't speak for Robby (I'm not a ventriloquist, after all), but you can use python to make ASCii roguelikes pretty easily. As in, "You could probably make something that works at all in an afternoon" easy. And I think that's important. You need to be able to get some kind of visible success really early if you want people to stick around and use it.

With a lot more effort, actual sprites can be used as well.

The obvious recommendation for people who want to make a game is "If you're already familiar with a language, use that one". But if that's not the case, then for this type of game, python is pretty good.
I wrote it in VB and stuck with colored ASCII graphics because I knew I could bang out results relatively quickly. I found a really good library online that I have yet to try and implement. My next (much prettier) Rogue-like is way down on the priority list, behind (in order) renovating a house, making more D&D house-rules, and finishing my zombie survival Doom mod.
8headeddragon
Apprentice

Post by 8headeddragon »

In the very beginning I was creating ramps out of construction paper and dropping marbles onto them.

Since then, I have done a whole lot of DMing, I have built a lot of rooms, NPCs, and spells for MUDs and MUSHes and the like, I have made some completely awful attempts at making games using IRC scripts, I have been on a handful of game creation projects that have fallen apart, and most recently I created a humble homebrew of my own in Ren'py modified with a fair bit of Python.

And I ah... happen to be surrounded by talent even people on these boards would respect. :tongue:
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Man I hate VB.

Probably because I cut my teeth on these new fangled web languages and their 'loose' typing.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Wow, this is awkward. Alright, here's the deal. I freely admit that I have frequently made reference to my pro-credits here, without ever explaining them.

I can't specifically point out the professional game design work I do here, because...

A) The Den REALLY hates many of the products with my name on them. I am thin skinned, and I cry when people are mean to me.
B) More importantly, my co-workers and bosses in RPGland would REALLY hate some of the things I've said on the Den.
I've only got one RPG credit to date: a little-known Star Hero setting published by Blackwyrm Games in 2011 called Terracide.
Link please. I'm a huge HERO fan. You say Blackwyrm Published it, so I assume you know Jason and Steve? How'd your dealings with them go?
Last edited by Neurosis on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Mike Mearls?
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Yes, it is I, Mike Mearls. lolololol
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Neon Sequitur
Apprentice

Post by Neon Sequitur »

Schwarzkopf wrote:Wow, this is awkward. Alright, here's the deal. I freely admit that I have frequently made reference to my pro-credits here, without ever explaining them.

I can't specifically point out the professional game design work I do here, because...

A) The Den REALLY hates many of the products with my name on them. I am thin skinned, and I cry when people are mean to me.
B) More importantly, my co-workers and bosses in RPGland would REALLY hate some of the things I've said on the Den.
I've only got one RPG credit to date: a little-known Star Hero setting published by Blackwyrm Games in 2011 called Terracide.
Link please. I'm a huge HERO fan. You say Blackwyrm Published it, so I assume you know Jason and Steve? How'd your dealings with them go?
Oh no, is it name-dropping time? Yep, awkward.

I completely understand you wanting to remain anonymous. Enuf sed.

Here's my book: http://www.blackwyrm.com/catalog/produc ... cts_id=108

And because I'm completely shameless, the Amazon listing: http://www.amazon.com/Terracide-Grady-E ... 1613186312

I don't know Steve very well because I was working with Blackwyrm rather than Hero Games, but we've met at several conventions. Jason is a partner in Blackwyrm as well as Hero, so he's one of my bosses. (He's also a partner in IPR, he's a very busy man!) I don't see much of him except at conventions because he lives in Nevada. IIRC, Jason had the final say on green-lighting Terracide for publication. My regular point of contact at Blackwyrm is Dave Mattingly, who lives just a couple of hours away from me. I'm currently working with him on the new version of Terracide for Savage Worlds.
Last edited by Neon Sequitur on Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.