Opinions on my house rules

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Mask_De_H wrote:Okay, this might be a better way to put it: use the standard class table progression, but you start at 2nd level and every level up counts for two levels (so my 2nd would be ECL 4th, my 3rd would be ECL 6, etc). The spells cap at 5th or 6th because that's where shit gets crazy. Everyone has full BAB progression and the Good/Medium/Poor distinction determines how many iterative attacks you get.

Does that make more sense?
...why?

The problem with sword guys is not that they don't deal enough damage. If you think it's too hard to build a sword guy that deals enough damage, just play a Barbarian (Tome). Fucking up the core game math of iterative attacks does nothing. All you're doing is making the game more rocket launcher tag. There are plenty of ways to get extra attacks as is. Adding longer attack sequences does nothing good or interesting for the game.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The part about full BAB but good/medium/poor iteratives makes more sense. The rest I think I'd have to see a more concrete example.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Let me write up a draft of what I'm suggesting.

"Good" BAB Class

1: 1st level Ability, 2nd level Ability
2: 3rd level ability, 4th level ability
3:: 5th level ability, 6th level ability, 2nd Attack
4: 6th level ability, 7th level ability
5: 8th level ability, 9th level ability
6: 10th level ability, 11th level ability, 3rd attack
7: 12th level ability, 13th level ability
8: 14th level ability, 15th level ability, 4th attack
9: 16th level ability, 17th level ability, 18th level ability
10: 19th level ability, PF's shitty "Win D&D" capstones

"Medium" BAB Class

3:: 5th level ability, 6th level ability
4: 6th level ability, 7th level ability, 2nd attack
6: 10th level ability, 11th level ability
8: 14th level ability, 15th level ability, 3rd attack

"Poor" BAB Class

5: 8th level ability, 9th level ability, 2nd attack
8: 14th level ability, 15th level ability,

And there are two ways I was thinking of handling spells: either allowing non-casters to still be a thing and hard capping spell levels at 6th for all casters (removing the spells that are over-leveled in classes like the Summoner or the Bard on a case by case basis) or saying "fuck it", making all the martial classes Bard casters, allow them to fish for higher level spells within certain parameters (like the Tome Assassin) and keeping full casters mostly as-is.

DC scaling would go to 10 + Level + Relevant stat across the board.

e: All classes would get something that deals with flight, incorporeal enemies, walls of force, allows them not to get got by/participate in Scry 'n' Die, the other shit I've forgotten at the relevant levels and ultimately go into the post-Wish economy at 9th or 10th.
Last edited by Mask_De_H on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

So, you're writing a new game? Because that system is incompatible with the CR system pretty much by default. I don't see the point of writing a new game from scratch but including 3E spellcasting as is (even cutting off the last third, you could simply play lower level games). You could get the same result by just cutting HP/Save progressions in half.
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Effectively, you've got 20th level characters with 10 hit dice. That might be one way to keep hit point damage more relevant than in standard 3.x otherwise I don't see much point. I mean, for spell casters it means a new level of spells every level, but that also means less time to get used to your abilities before gaining new ones.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

The CR ratings are already pretty much useless as is (and CR = 2x Character Level is an easy hack if you care), most classes in PF or 3.X straight up don't get meaningful class abilities for long stretches of time unless they cast spells and there are things that "high level" characters get to do that would be worth it for single digit characters. I'm making the game leaner and more efficient while still keeping the only reasons to run any variation of 3.X that isn't straight Tome in the year of our Lord 2013.

It's a way to play within a reasonable level bound while getting abilities that you could deign to give a damn about, especially as a non-caster. Remember that two of the founding points of F&K's work on 3.X are 1) Nobody plays to 20th and 2) The game breaks down at 10th-11th level. This is a way to kill two birds with one stone, especially if I go with the first spellcasting option as it is essentially E11 with a bone thrown to non-casters.

It's not even writing a new game from scratch, it's the additive version of what uber suggests instead of the subtractive.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Mask_De_H wrote:The CR ratings are already pretty much useless as is (and CR = 2x Character Level is an easy hack if you care), most classes in PF or 3.X straight up don't get meaningful class abilities for long stretches of time unless they cast spells and there are things that "high level" characters get to do that would be worth it for single digit characters. I'm making the game leaner and more efficient while still keeping the only reasons to run any variation of 3.X that isn't straight Tome in the year of our Lord 2013.
Ok, let me look at some challenges your six hit die guy is going to face if you're just going to use CR 12 creatures to fight them.
11 headed cyro/pyro hydra. DC 26 reflex save vs 33d6 damage. That was not a typo. Average damage 115. HP at this level will range from (6d4+con*6) avg 40ish to (6d12+con*6) avg 78.

I'm not going to continue because I just proved my fucking point. The CR of monsters is based around assuming you have a certain number of HP/Saves. You can't just cut everyone's HP in half and use the monsters as written.

If you go the other direction and use CR 6 monsters vs level six characters, you have guys with Flesh to Stone fighting Will o Wisps.

You can't just cut hp/double hp willy nilly without there being changes. If you want to just say you gain 2 levels instead of 1 level every time your group levels, you can just DO that. No one is stopping you from saying "In my group, even levels don't exist. Every time I decide my group gains a level we just skip to the next odd number because the reason I gave them a level was so that they could get a new tier of abilities."

You can do that. And it doesn't make the CR system meaningless.

Or you can just write classes that don't have dead levels. Or you can take your fighter player aside and show him the Tome classes. All of these things more or less let you keep using CR as a good guideline for what will/will not TPK your players.
It's a way to play within a reasonable level bound while getting abilities that you could deign to give a damn about, especially as a non-caster. Remember that two of the founding points of F&K's work on 3.X are 1) Nobody plays to 20th and 2) The game breaks down at 10th-11th level. This is a way to kill two birds with one stone, especially if I go with the first spellcasting option as it is essentially E11 with a bone thrown to non-casters.
But do you know WHY the game breaks down around level 11? Because fifth and sixth level spells are better than anything the written fightey classes will ever do.

Flesh to stone. Baleful Polymorph. Contingency. Create Undead. Overland Flight. Telekinesis. Magic Jar. Hold Monster. Cloudkill. Planar Binding. Teleport. Spellstaff. Heal/Harm. Palnar Ally. True seeing. Plane Shift.

These are things in the PHB. The fact that these things can win the encounter/ hog the spot light make the game less of a team effort. That's what high level spellcasting does. If you do not want to play a game where people have access to these things, you can play E6. Or just not play at high levels. No one is stopping you.
It's not even writing a new game from scratch, it's the additive version of what uber suggests instead of the subtractive.
No, it's dumb. You're just breaking the HP scaling assumed by the CR system so you can't use the CR system any more. You haven't added anything, you've just said "I'm playing E11 but now the hp/save scalings are fucked so the CR system doesn't work any more."
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Okay, what part of "every level is equal to two levels' worth of advancement in the normal system" do you seem to be misunderstanding? The HP and save progression isn't fucked because it's the exact same HP and save progression, only going by twos. Your arguments against the system (outside of 5th and 6th level spells being all sorts of boss) have been on wrong principles from the jump.

For fuck's sake this:
ubernoob wrote: If you want to just say you gain 2 levels instead of 1 level every time your group levels, you can just DO that.
Is the crux of my proposal you daft bastard.

Now I can understand if I'm not explaining myself well and I apologize for that, but this isn't fucking rocket science. You understand what I'm trying to do and are okay with it, but you're tilting at something completely different. The 5th and 6th level spells would need to be looked at, yes, but the basic idea is sound. And don't give me any bullshit about the CR system being fucked because you made my point about it in your last post.

e: And the point of this is that a lot of high-level non-spell abilities are nowhere near as good as spells, so they never get shine because either A) nobody gets there or B) the casters overshadow them. So putting a cap on spell level and/or allowing the game-changers to be taken by anyone on a drip-feed allows for a higher level feeling than E6-E10 while hotfixing the problems with actually playing at high level.
Last edited by Mask_De_H on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

quote is not edit
Last edited by Mask_De_H on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Mask_De_H wrote:clarification
OK, so you're only playing at levels 2,4,6,8,10, and 12. If you only want to play at those specific levels... Who cares. 6-12 is the sweet spot anyways. Those are fun levels to play at.

And if you cap spellcasting at level 12, people are just going to all play Gish characters as soon as you hit the cap. Which isn't a huge problem. Gish characters rape the combat engine, but they don't rape the story engine as much as a "spellcaster" spellcaster. I mean, they can still do whatever the fuck during down time, but at least they are devoting a portion of their spell resources away from fucking your railroad.

Now that I understand what you're saying, that's really not even a house rule. Giving two levels of advancement at a time is not even a big deal. There are already rules for bringing in a high level replacement PC in the DMG using WBL. Choosing what level you want the party to be is just something you get to do as the DM. Whatever.

The only thing fucked up here is that you are trying to rename the levels. That's just going to confuse people even more than the HD/ECL/LA/CL nonsense is already confusing.

Edit: To be clear on what I actually think now that I understand you're not fucking up the HP scaling.

1) You have two different ideas here, and I'll address them individually.

A) "Skip to the good parts." See: what I've said above. Who cares.

B) "Fiddling with attack progressions and giving spellcasting to fighter classes instead of just using a decent fighter classes because you don't understand that people picked the fighter class specifically so they wouldn't have to deal with spellcasting accounting in the first place"

Actually you have three ideas.

C) "Cutting off the top portion of spells because I don't know how to deal with them from a story writing perspective"

Dumb. If you don't want to deal with high level spells, just make the adventure a lower level. That's the only thing that differentiates the story of a level 15 party from the level 5 party.

Or just go play 4E/E6. In any case, you're not solving any problems and the end result is going to be another fantasy heartbreaker that no one is going to play except for you and your specific group of friends you convinced to play it. Who cares. You don't have to convince me. You have to convince your friends. Stop asking me. Go ask them.
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Let's start with this:

At 3rd level and 4th level, you're giving out 6th level abilities. This appears to be a mistake in your chart, but it makes things wonky.

If you assume that 3rd level is correct (5th and 6th level abilities) and that 4th is wrong (should be 7th and 8th level abilities) causing everything else to shift down and you give out 2 HD each time you gain a level which seemed to be the thing you were avoiding completely, but now you're walking back - your game is indistinguishable from D&D. You're just gaining 2 levels everytime you would normally gain 1 level.

Or are you trying to say that 9th level spells never come on line (even when you get 19th level abilities)? If that's the case, then you need to spell out the spell progression, because it looks like you're trying to say wizards and clerics get a new level of spells every level (1st level spells at 1st, 2nd level spells at 2nd, etc). If you're instead saying 1st level spells at 1st, 2nd level spells at 3rd, capping with 5th level spells at 9th level, you have failed to communicate and nobody knows what you're actually proposing.

But if you're taking 20 levels of play, condensing them to 10 levels, but giving EXACTLY the same abilities you would get for 20 levels of play, you're not changing ANYTHING except how quickly you gain abilities. I've never found 'advancment is too slow' to be a complaint players in 3.x have had.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

ubernoob wrote: Or just go play 4E/E6. In any case, you're not solving any problems and the end result is going to be another fantasy heartbreaker that no one is going to play except for you and your specific group of friends you convinced to play it. Who cares. You don't have to convince me. You have to convince your friends. Stop asking me. Go ask them.
Considering this is a thread about houserules that mindset is a bit misplaced.

He asked about house rules he is considering or is already implementing. What he did not ask is if it's SUCH AN AWESOME IDEAZ OMGZ CAN I PUBLISH IT FOR WEBZ?!!!11111oneoneleven

Now with that in mind I think that 1-10 compression with Spellcasting set to 1 - 5 could work pretty well. You could cherry pick L6 spells as magic items or special class abilities or something. Compressing the standard 20 into a 10 level scheme could make it easier to sell the 1 through 5 spell casting progression.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Jesus ecchi Christ yes I am giving out 20 HD worth of HP in ten levels. That's not a walk back, that was the point. I do not want to play E6 because it is too low powered for my tastes and 4e is a wasteland of boredom. I was looking for feedback on whether or not I should cap spells at a point so that the game can still function at "high level". Am I not speaking English?

I understand that my idea is functionally no different from standard D&D outside of faster advancement. That's the point in sticking with D&D instead of making my own game with blackjack and hookers. I play PBP and very short campaigns a lot, so there isn't a lot of time for advancement in my games. There is a very good chance we gain only a level or two and I want those to mean something. This is a workaround for the brevity of my campaigns, the general uselessness of half the levels in 3.X D&D and my preliminary prototyping of the concept of Ten Levels Frank came up with a while back. Moreover, they are house rules for a D&D 3.X variant in a goddamned house rule thread. If I were making a fantasy heartbreaker, I could just do that and not ask for your opinion (and have already done so, in fact).

If videogames and every post Book of Weeaboo Fightan Magic RPG with level progression have taught me anything, it's that building in dead spaces to get acclimated to new abilities isn't necessary. Acclimation comes through play.

At this point, I've decided on capping spells at 5th and handing out the good shit for everybody like codeGlaze describes. To accommodate the cap, a new spell level would still end up being gained every other character level, but the amount of spells per day/spells known would ramp up faster.

E: ubernoob I don't understand how you can be so close to the point but so goddamned far off. You said yourself that high-level spells are better than anything melee classes ever get but then you say it's dumb and I can't handle proper storytelling for not wanting to include them. When I float the idea of fixing that discrepancy via spellcasting, you say it's unworkable because people don't want to deal with spells. There are abilities that are gained at levels outside of the 6-12 sweet spot that are not spells that never get the proper screentime or usage because the spell equivalent has made the entire class that holds them irrelevant. What makes this a set of house rules is condensing those abilities into a place where they can actually fucking matter because the Wizard can't retreat to his extraplanar harem of monster girls until the very end of the campaign. And as an addendum, once that campaign end hits, everybody should have access to the extraplanar harem of monster girls.

I appreciate what you're trying to do, but it is completely unhelpful. Not in a "wah, I can't take criticism" sort of way, but in a "You are totally fine with what I want to do in almost every way, so here's why I'm a stupid wrong retard for doing this thing you agree with" sort of way.
Last edited by Mask_De_H on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Mask_De_H wrote:Jesus ecchi Christ yes I am giving out 20 HD worth of HP in ten levels. That's not a walk back, that was the point. I do not want to play E6 because it is too low powered for my tastes and 4e is a wasteland of boredom. I was looking for feedback on whether or not I should cap spells at a point so that the game can still function at "high level". Am I not speaking English?
No. You're not speaking plain English. This was your oringal post on the subject:

Mask_De_H wrote: Weird question, primarily PF focused: if spellcasting progression continued as normal, would it make sense to condense the class features into ten levels and just play E10? Also, how fucked would things get if I gave every class full BAB and gave fighting men extra attacks at level breakpoints instead?
The 'continued as normal' is hard to understand. Do you mean 'you gain 9th level spells when you gain 17th level abilities' or do you mean 'you gain a new level of spells on every odd level'. This was not clear.

Your use of '10 levels' without regard to hit dice (10 levels now equates to 20 hit dice) is also needlessly confusing. This is further compounded by lack of clarity in your example (confusing sections bolded):
Mask_De_H wrote:Let me write up a draft of what I'm suggesting.

"Good" BAB Class

3:: 5th level ability, 6th level ability, 2nd Attack
6: 10th level ability, 11th level ability, 3rd attack
8: 14th level ability, 15th level ability, 4th attack

"Medium" BAB Class

4: 6th level ability, 7th level ability, 2nd attack
8: 14th level ability, 15th level ability, 3rd attack

"Poor" BAB Class

5: 8th level ability, 9th level ability, 2nd attack
8: 14th level ability, 15th level ability,
Further, you indicate two different ways of handling spells:
Mask_De_H wrote: And there are two ways I was thinking of handling spells: either allowing non-casters to still be a thing and hard capping spell levels at 6th for all casters (removing the spells that are over-leveled in classes like the Summoner or the Bard on a case by case basis) or saying "fuck it", making all the martial classes Bard casters, allow them to fish for higher level spells within certain parameters (like the Tome Assassin) and keeping full casters mostly as-is.
On the original read, I focused on the 'keeping casters as is', which would indicate that they'd get 9th level spells. If you do that, this is standard D&D and the 'faster advancement' doesn't mean anything. You'd be better off keeping EVERYTHING the same, except giving everyone 'bard level casting'. It would certainly be less confusing.
Mask_De_H wrote: I understand that my idea is functionally no different from standard D&D outside of faster advancement. That's the point in sticking with D&D instead of making my own game with blackjack and hookers.
If you're interested in faster advancement, you could get the same functional result by giving 2x XP for every encounter or requiring half as much XP to gain a level. I was under the impression that I was missing something - if you're just interested in faster advancement, it would make sense to use one of these methods - they yield the same functional result, but you actually gain Hit Dice one at a time...
Mask_De_H wrote: I play PBP and very short campaigns a lot, so there isn't a lot of time for advancement in my games. There is a very good chance we gain only a level or two and I want those to mean something. This is a workaround for the brevity of my campaigns, the general uselessness of half the levels in 3.X D&D and my preliminary prototyping of the concept of Ten Levels Frank came up with a while back. Moreover, they are house rules for a D&D 3.X variant in a goddamned house rule thread. If I were making a fantasy heartbreaker, I could just do that and not ask for your opinion (and have already done so, in fact).
I'm sorry you're frustrated. It really has been a lack of clarity on what you're asking for - and under one possible interpretation, your idea sounds needlessly complicated.
Mask_De_H wrote:At this point, I've decided on capping spells at 5th and handing out the good shit for everybody like codeGlaze describes. To accommodate the cap, a new spell level would still end up being gained every other character level, but the amount of spells per day/spells known would ramp up faster.
This makes sense. You've effectively kept EVERYTHING the same EXCEPT how quickly casters gain access to new levels of spells. If you kept 20 levels (even if gaining them two at a time) you could just say that new spells are gained every 4 levels (1st, 5th, 9th, 13th, 17th) thus capping off at 5th level. This will make casters feel like they're having a lot of 'dead levels' - even if you're gaining 2 levels at once (counting 1 as 1st and 2nd, 2 as 3rd and 4th, etc), casters are only getting new spells every other time they gain a level. The advancement for them will feel slower unless you have a number of 'special abilities' that they gain as well. Pathfinder is pretty good about adding things, so it shouldn't be much of an issue... The fact that decent healing spells will be harder to get will be somewhat of a problem unless you have more access to disposable healing.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Mask_De_H wrote:Jesus ecchi Christ yes I am giving out 20 HD worth of HP in ten levels. That's not a walk back, that was the point. I do not want to play E6 because it is too low powered for my tastes and 4e is a wasteland of boredom. I was looking for feedback on whether or not I should cap spells at a point so that the game can still function at "high level". Am I not speaking English?
From my perspective (the person you are trying to communicate with), no.
I understand that my idea is functionally no different from standard D&D outside of faster advancement. That's the point in sticking with D&D instead of making my own game with blackjack and hookers. I play PBP and very short campaigns a lot, so there isn't a lot of time for advancement in my games. There is a very good chance we gain only a level or two and I want those to mean something. This is a workaround for the brevity of my campaigns, the general uselessness of half the levels in 3.X D&D and my preliminary prototyping of the concept of Ten Levels Frank came up with a while back. Moreover, they are house rules for a D&D 3.X variant in a goddamned house rule thread. If I were making a fantasy heartbreaker, I could just do that and not ask for your opinion (and have already done so, in fact).
Woohoo. PbP games explode so frequently that you should pretty much assume that the game is going to explode before you gain any advancement. That's just how PbP works most of the time.
If videogames and every post Book of Weeaboo Fightan Magic RPG with level progression have taught me anything, it's that building in dead spaces to get acclimated to new abilities isn't necessary. Acclimation comes through play.
No one has ever been suggesting that the PHB barbarian/figher was a good class. That was never ever suggested by anyone on TGD. Weeboo Fightan Magic is good not because of the lack of dead levels, but the fact that you get abilities that actually do things.
At this point, I've decided on capping spells at 5th and handing out the good shit for everybody like codeGlaze describes. To accommodate the cap, a new spell level would still end up being gained every other character level, but the amount of spells per day/spells known would ramp up faster.
I don't get what your obsession with playing a high level game without any of the trade mark high level abilities is. If you want bigger numbers you can just tell everyone "You double your HP and damage. Monsters do the same. I want big numbers."

The only classes worth playing as written end up turning into Justice League. You can say that they only advance to Batman, but then you've just kind of gotten rid of the entire fantasy setting. If you want to play LotR instead of Justice League, E6 totally exists and you don't have an extra headache explaining to your players what your house rule is because it is a known thing. Or you can just reference E6 and say that the cap is level 10 instead of 6. In any case, just lopping off the top level of spellcasting means that your stories don't change in meaningful ways after spell casting advancement stops. You're just masturbating to numbers after that instead of changing how the game is played each level.

In my book, the fact that you get new and better abilities each level is why D&D is a better game than WoW. But hey, suit yourself.
E: ubernoob I don't understand how you can be so close to the point but so goddamned far off. You said yourself that high-level spells are better than anything melee classes ever get but then you say it's dumb and I can't handle proper storytelling for not wanting to include them. When I float the idea of fixing that discrepancy via spellcasting, you say it's unworkable because people don't want to deal with spells. There are abilities that are gained at levels outside of the 6-12 sweet spot that are not spells that never get the proper screentime or usage because the spell equivalent has made the entire class that holds them irrelevant. What makes this a set of house rules is condensing those abilities into a place where they can actually fucking matter because the Wizard can't retreat to his extraplanar harem of monster girls until the very end of the campaign. And as an addendum, once that campaign end hits, everybody should have access to the extraplanar harem of monster girls.
Citation needed. Show me one printed ability that falls under this category that you can't just move to a lower level without much modification. If the abilities come too late for the martial classes for your tastes, you can just rewrite the martial classes so they get actual abilities instead of dead levels. This is a thing you can do.
I appreciate what you're trying to do, but it is completely unhelpful. Not in a "wah, I can't take criticism" sort of way, but in a "You are totally fine with what I want to do in almost every way, so here's why I'm a stupid wrong retard for doing this thing you agree with" sort of way.
And I think your idea is dumb from the outset. You can simply play at the levels that you like. This is a thing you can do. It does not require rewriting the game so that the game hits that point and then... Stays there forever with no change until people get bored and walk away.

If you don't like level 6+ spells, you can just... not level your players past 11. This is a thing you can do.

If you want to do that while still giving some of the higher level story abilities written into martial classes (I still don't know if I've ever seen one in printed D&D, and your variant is incompatible with Tome), your house rule could be to just move those abilities to levels that you actually play.

Let me be super clear. High level D&D turns into Justice League very fast. If you do not want to play at that power level, there are the rest of the levels. But the high level enemies have things like blasphemy and Dance of Ruin. High level enemies can very seriously wipe out whole cities. That is built into the CR. That is why they are challenges for high level characters.

But don't tell me that you're going to remove all the tools for high level characters to deal with high level challenges and pretend that the game is going to stay intact at those levels anyways.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

You know what uber? Fuck it. I'm going to explain this in your own goddamned words because apparently I'm speaking Moon.
OK, so you're only playing at levels 2,4,6,8,10, and 12. If you only want to play at those specific levels... Who cares. 6-12 is the sweet spot anyways. Those are fun levels to play at.
Your house rule could be to just move those abilities [beyond 11th level] to levels that you actually play.

That's it. That's the point in so many words.

I wanted HD to run at the twenty level track to keep pace with monster numbers outpacing everything but large amounts of burst damage and SoDs, and to curtail your blashpemy problem by not having players too low HDed and end up getting wiped by a high level demon. I was going to give martial classes meaningful abilities above and beyond the pittance PATHFINDER gave them, most likely in the form of some kind of spellcasting. I just wanted to know if the basic framework worked and was spitballing other ideas because that's how I think.

You keep saying what I'm saying, passing it off as common sense when you say it and dribbling nonsense when I say it. It's getting on my last nerve.

E: And here's an example: Pathfinder Ranger's capstone save or die strike at not-20th. The "you are now an outsider, whoopty fuck" capstones. Most of the Oracle's capstones made class agnostic. Tireless and Mighty Rage coming online at times you would give a fuck about.
Last edited by Mask_De_H on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Okay, let me try this again.

Characters start at 2nd level.
Advancement is done two levels at a time.
Everyone has full BAB.
All casting is on the Bard casting progression. Maximum in class spell level is sixth level.
Certain spells (Fly, Teleport, Scrying, Planar Binding) are purchasable/performable by all classes at the appropriate levels.
Current martial class abilities are moved to a level people care about.
Martial characters get ways to deal with level appropriate challenges (that aren't hotfixable with specific spells) as needed.
Classes gain extra attacks based on their old BAB rating at the levels they would normally get the extra attack.

If it makes uber feel better, the "two levels a piece" thing can be shifted to "levels 2-12, all spellcasting progresses like as Wizard or Cleric where appropriate" instead.

Classes that would get early access to higher level spells under the new system (PF Summoner comes to mind) have those spells removed from their list.

Happy now, motherfuckers?
Last edited by Mask_De_H on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Mask_De_H wrote:All casting is on the Bard casting progression. Maximum in class spell level is sixth level.
Certain spells (Fly, Teleport, Scrying, Planar Binding) are purchasable/performable by all classes at the appropriate levels.
Current martial class abilities are moved to a level people care about.
Martial characters get ways to deal with level appropriate challenges (that aren't hotfixable with specific spells) as needed.
Hey, I noticed that unemployment is a problem. So what if I:
Hire a large unspecified number of people.
Spend a lot of money, but vaguely a lot on incentives for people to hire people.
Changed the laws to mandate that all companies must hire X more people, where X is a vague unspecific number I will make up later.
Fuck around with inflation a lot.

Is that a good solution?

Hint: The reason this is important is because all the important information, IE, how you are going to change all martial classes class abilities in completely unspecified ways, how you are going to give everyone flight (at what level? at what resource schedule) What other things besides flight you are going to put in that category, ect. Is all completely opaque. No one could possibly tell you whether it is a good idea or not.

Bottom line, like I apparently have to say every fucking day to someone:

What problem are you trying to fucking solve? And if you are trying to solve multiple different problems, you need to separate the solutions and make sure you don't at any point implement a solution to one problem that compouns with a solution to another problem.

Because frankly, it sounds to me like anyone who plays a caster at all in your system is dumb as a box of rocks and will regret that decision.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

No. It isn't a good solution, because none of those steps solve anything you mentioned as a problem. Nor is "unemployment" a valid problem, any more than "gravity", "trees", or "negative numbers" are.

So, good example.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Kaelik wrote:Bottom line, like I apparently have to say every fucking day to someone:

What problem are you trying to fucking solve? And if you are trying to solve multiple different problems, you need to separate the solutions and make sure you don't at any point implement a solution to one problem that compounds with a solution to another problem.

Because frankly, it sounds to me like anyone who plays a caster at all in your system is dumb as a box of rocks and will regret that decision.
Mask, I want you to read this ten times before replying. Thank you.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

fectin wrote:No. It isn't a good solution, because none of those steps solve anything you mentioned as a problem. Nor is "unemployment" a valid problem, any more than "gravity", "trees", or "negative numbers" are.

So, good example.
I really can't tell whether you are attempting to take a political dig at an argument that was deliberately presented to be as bad as possible or not, but the statement "people who are actively looking for a job but can't find one, also known as unemployment, is above some arbitrary threshhold which is therefore bad" isn't even politically questionable because even fucking libertarians and republicans think that is a bad thing.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Pretty sure gravity and trees were valid problems as well. Hence, planes and chainsaws. And also TNT.
Last edited by Voss on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

ubernoob wrote:
Kaelik wrote:Bottom line, like I apparently have to say every fucking day to someone:

What problem are you trying to fucking solve? And if you are trying to solve multiple different problems, you need to separate the solutions and make sure you don't at any point implement a solution to one problem that compounds with a solution to another problem.

At this point, I'm really starting to question if I'm the sole reason we are having a failure to communicate here. But sure, what the fuck.

Problem 1: Playing to twenty levels isn't normally done due to time constraints.

Solution 1: Compress the game space or advance advancement speed.

Problem 2: Many class abilities never get their time in the spotlight because they are placed too far out and are overshadowed by high level spells.

Solution 2: Compress advancement for characters or move the abilities to a different level. For casters, whose only notable class features are their spells, some other abilities will have to be granted. Working in Pathfinder helps cut down on the mental work of coming up with meaningless bullshit.

Problem 3: The E6 game, in my personal opinion, misses the real fun parts of the High Fantasy game. The life of a level 1 character is cheap.

Solution 3: Allow the game to progress past level 6. Start the game after level 1.

Problem 4: The game falls apart by level 15 at the latest and level 12 at the earliest. This can be laid at the feet of martial classes becoming wholly unable to interact meaningfully with the game space and sixth level and higher spells fundamentally altering the game space beyond the comprehension of players.

Solution 4: Put the end-point of the game at the level it starts to break down. For purposes of this discussion, ECL 12. Throttle access to game space altering spells and allow rationed distribution of said spells to any and all players at the level it would be relevant.

Problem 5: Even with checks on the high end, by level 6 non-casters become increasingly more irrelevant. The abilities that render them irrelevant have been documented and are relatively flavor-agnostic for a fantasy world.

Solution 5: Provide non-casters with abilities that allow them to use the abilities that relevant characters use or have the ability to counteract the abilities that relevant characters use.

For example: the ability to affect incorporeal monsters would come online at ECL 3. The ability to become invisible and catch the invisible would come online at ECL 3 as well. The ability to fly in combat or negate flight in combat would come online at or around ECL 5. The ability to scry and detect scrying would come online at or around ECL 7. Teleportation and unmolested fast overworld travel on the Prime would come online at or around ECL 9. Planar travel and True Seeing effects would come online at ECL 9 or 10.

Problem 6: BAB is an unnecessary complication to attack math and multiclassing for something that nominally increases by level.

Solution 6: Make BAB a constant among all characters.

Problem 7, which comes from Solution 6: Standardizing BAB robs certain martial characters of their only meaningful shtick.

Solution 7: Reintroduce multiple attacks as a function of character class instead of BAB.

Problem 8: The multiple forms of casting advancement tables are unnecessary and unsatisfying.

Solution 8: Standardize the advancement tables for casting.

Problem 9, which comes from Solution 8: Pure casters now have their main defining point cheapened.

Solution 9 *tentative*: Either allow pure spellcasters more spells per day, give them a superior form of casting as opposed to other casters (ex: pure casters prepare like Clerics, mixed characters have limited choices like Sorcerers) or give them class abilities to make up for the loss in mechanical niche.

Problem 10, which stems from Solution 4: High-level creatures have abilities that would completely shut down players if the ECL is capped at a certain point (Word spells).

Solution 10-A: Merely disallow those creatures from being used.

Solution 10-B: Allow level-related metrics (HD, saves, BAB, CL) to advance at double speed for player characters.

e: But if this is too dumb for the Den, it's too dumb for primetime. I'll put it to rest.
Last edited by Mask_De_H on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Mask_De_H wrote:Problem 4: The game falls apart by level 15 at the latest and level 12 at the earliest. This can be laid at the feet of martial classes becoming wholly unable to interact meaningfully with the game space and sixth level and higher spells fundamentally altering the game space beyond the comprehension of players.

Solution 4: Put the end-point of the game at the level it starts to break down. For purposes of this discussion, ECL 12. Throttle access to game space altering spells and allow rationed distribution of said spells to any and all players at the level it would be relevant.
See this is exactly what I am talking about. in order to solve the problem that the game falls apart past level 15 you:

Put wizards on bard casting for levels 2-12.
Give everyone fly at will at level 3. (Or whatever, because you still haven't told us what you would do with giving spells)

Those not only don't fix that problem, they literally have nothing to with that problem.

And later on, you whine about how martial characters are behind spellcasters, but you already had the following solutions:

1) give all martial people abilities much earlier.
2) Switch to bard casting.
3) Give all the spells they need to martial users for free.

Did it not occur to you that those changes might possibly overcorrect your proposed caster/martial imbalance on their own, and that you can't say X is a problem when you just made three changes that push against X?

ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Mask_De_H wrote:
ubernoob wrote:

At this point, I'm really starting to question if I'm the sole reason we are having a failure to communicate here. But sure, what the fuck.

Problem 1: Playing to twenty levels isn't normally done due to time constraints.
In the context of what level 20 actually means in 3E D&D, that's not actually a problem. That's a Feature. You have a whole bunch of distinct power levels to tell different kinds of stories with, and your story doesn't explode because Robin turned into Superman over three sessions. This is literally not a problem. If you want a system that does not have this feature, go play a different game like 4E. This is the system working as intended.
Solution 1: Compress the game space or advance advancement speed.
You already control the advancement speed. I'm not even joking. This is not a problem.
Problem 2: Many class abilities never get their time in the spotlight because they are placed too far out and are overshadowed by high level spells.
AGAIN. CITATION NEEDED. Show me a single ability where this is true.
Solution 2: Compress advancement for characters or move the abilities to a different level. For casters, whose only notable class features are their spells, some other abilities will have to be granted. Working in Pathfinder helps cut down on the mental work of coming up with meaningless bullshit.
Pathfinder is stupid in the first place. And nobody is stopping you from writing classes that don't suck. You can go write classes on the In My Own Invention board and we will be glad to help you balance them.
Problem 3: The E6 game, in my personal opinion, misses the real fun parts of the High Fantasy game. The life of a level 1 character is cheap.
The life of a level 2 character is cheap. The life of a level 3 character is cheap. This is because level 3 and less characters are basically normal people you could represent from the real world. Yes, you and I would get eaten by demons. This is a good feature for telling stories. It means that when you want to kill off the entire town, the rules let you do that (Dance of Ruin, Blasphemy, circle of death, shit even fireballs will kill off hordes of mooks).

If you want to run a High Fantasy game, just start at level 7. You can just do that.
Solution 3: Allow the game to progress past level 6. Start the game after level 1.
The only one who controls what level the game starts and ends at is the DM (for starting) and the players (for how long everyone keeps playing together). The rules are not stopping you from starting your game at level 4 and saying "you level when I say you level"

No one is stopping you. I promise.
Problem 4: The game falls apart by level 15 at the latest and level 12 at the earliest. This can be laid at the feet of martial classes becoming wholly unable to interact meaningfully with the game space and sixth level and higher spells fundamentally altering the game space beyond the comprehension of players.
No, the game falls apart at level 1 at the earliest. If a player really wants to explode the game, he can do Pun Pun at level 1. The game continues because the players and DM work together to craft a story that they want to tell. This means that if they want to keep playing into high levels, the players either agree not to Polymorph Any Object crazyness or the DM says go for it and just throws hordes of Balors at them to challenge their cheese.

The game gets harder to run at high levels, but high levels are where you can tell stories beyond "go into that dungeon and fight that guy."

If you suck at telling stories/communicating/having nonshitty relationships with your players and need to play a simpler game... you can play the game at level 7.

There is nothing stopping you from saying "I like playing the game at these levels, and we are just not going to play at these other levels"

If you want to tell stories at that power level, you can. Because the system lets you do that. We are not stopping you. I promise.
D&D is not World of Warcraft. There is no Final Boss. It is an engine to tell cooperative stories. You start and end those stories at whatever you cooperatively agree would be fun for everyone.

D&D is not World of Warcraft. There is no "end"

The only reason Tome classes have capstone abilities is as a joke. It's one big joke because the only time level 20 characters get played is during internet fighter vs wizard masturbation contests.
Problem 5: Even with checks on the high end, by level 6 non-casters become increasingly more irrelevant. The abilities that render them irrelevant have been documented and are relatively flavor-agnostic for a fantasy world.
You are dumb. A level six DPS fighter is basically a walking save or die. All the time. The only things that invalidate fightan mans are when all the opposition has teleport spam/super flight speeds/etc to keep him out of stabbin range forever. That really does not happen for a long time. A stabbin man can keep stabbin for a long time. Now, there are spotlight hogging abilities that mages have that fightan mans don't. The easy solution to that is to just give the fightan man some spotlight hogging abilities.
Solution 5: Provide non-casters with abilities that allow them to use the abilities that relevant characters use or have the ability to counteract the abilities that relevant characters use.
Most of the Tome classes do this by default. You should look into them.
For example: the ability to affect incorporeal monsters would come online at ECL 3. The ability to become invisible and catch the invisible would come online at ECL 3 as well. The ability to fly in combat or negate flight in combat would come online at or around ECL 5. The ability to scry and detect scrying would come online at or around ECL 7. Teleportation and unmolested fast overworld travel on the Prime would come online at or around ECL 9. Planar travel and True Seeing effects would come online at ECL 9 or 10.
You are dumb. There is no reason to ever play a caster person ever under your system because you took away all their toys and gave them to fightan mans. Why not just make one class and give everyone every ability on it.
Problem 6: BAB is an unnecessary complication to attack math and multiclassing for something that nominally increases by level.
It is not that fucking hard. +1, +3/4. +1/2. And anyone that actually gives a fuck about BAB has full BAB anyways (maybe rogues being the exception, but I think the flasked avenger has enough attacks).
Solution 6: Make BAB a constant among all characters.
OK, so why don't you just write one class called HERO and have everyone play that. You get full BAB, all the utility spells, and all the story abilities from both Fightan Mans and Caster mans. Because that's what your fucking "solution" is right now. Take away everything you don't like from Caster Mans and give anything that remains to Fightan Mans, but without the spellcasting accounting/ASF/being a spellcaster.
Problem 7, which comes from Solution 6: Standardizing BAB robs certain martial characters of their only meaningful shtick.
You have never played a gish before. Having half BAB on your character sheet means nothing when you throw down divine power and draconic polymorph. No one cares about BAB. Seriously.
Solution 7: Reintroduce multiple attacks as a function of character class instead of BAB.
No one cares about BAB.
Problem 8: The multiple forms of casting advancement tables are unnecessary and unsatisfying.
Maybe to you, but to me having your big nuke spell DCs keep pace with monster saves is important. DCs for spells are 10 (this is the variance on the dice basically) + 1/2 level (the same scaling for a good save) + stat (they defend with a stat)
Solution 8: Standardize the advancement tables for casting.
Not a real problem.
Problem 9, which comes from Solution 8: Pure casters now have their main defining point cheapened.
Obviously.
Solution 9 *tentative*: Either allow pure spellcasters more spells per day, give them a superior form of casting as opposed to other casters (ex: pure casters prepare like Clerics, mixed characters have limited choices like Sorcerers) or give them class abilities to make up for the lost in mechanical niche.
HERO.
Problem 10, which stems from Solution 4: High-level creatures have abilities that would completely shut down players if the ECL is capped at a certain point (Word spells).

Solution 10-A: Merely disallow those creatures from being used.
Or just stop being retarded and don't play a high level game if you don't like the way high level games work. Blasphemy still gets beaten by silence.
Solution 10-B: Allow level-related metrics (HD, saves, BAB, CL) to advance at double speed for player characters.
My original complaint about fucking with the scaling for no reason.

TLDR: You are dumb. Your complaints are dumb. There is not "problem" that cannot be solved by just deciding to play the game as is at the levels you actually like it. There is no problem being fixed here.
Last edited by ubernoob on Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.