RPG Book Giveaway

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Echoes
Journeyman

Post by Echoes »

I'm assuming Clanbook: Malkavian is 1st edition, rather than revised?
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

Got my first box of stuff today! Thanks a bunch, man, excellent deal for me.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
talozin
Knight-Baron

Post by talozin »

Echoes wrote:I'm assuming Clanbook: Malkavian is 1st edition, rather than revised?
Correct. So, the annoying one.
PoliteNewb wrote:Got my first box of stuff today!
I send two identical boxes to the same place on the same day and they don't show up on the same day. Go figure.
TheFlatline wrote:This is like arguing that blowjobs have to be terrible, pain-inflicting endeavors so that when you get a chick who *doesn't* draw blood everyone can high-five and feel good about it.
Echoes
Journeyman

Post by Echoes »

talozin wrote:
Echoes wrote:I'm assuming Clanbook: Malkavian is 1st edition, rather than revised?
Correct. So, the annoying one.
Damn, I'd actually like the revised one. Thanks anyway. :)
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

How is the 1st ed. Malk book annoying?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
talozin
Knight-Baron

Post by talozin »

It has several pages mirror-printed, which made it inconvenient to read in the days before we could just scan it and invert. Also, the White Wolf graphic design is, in general, worse than usual. Because Malkavians are CRAY ZEE.
TheFlatline wrote:This is like arguing that blowjobs have to be terrible, pain-inflicting endeavors so that when you get a chick who *doesn't* draw blood everyone can high-five and feel good about it.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So it's the troll one.

I kind of want that, actually. Is all the White Wolf stuff on the list 1st Ed.?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
talozin
Knight-Baron

Post by talozin »

I'm fairly sure if I didn't specifically mark it with "Revised" then it's not, but I'll double-check when I get home.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Gurps books all arrived. They look good, but my dad was confused by the label, and apparently the box was a bit thrashed. They look all present and accounted for.

Sir Neil
Knight-Baron

Post by Sir Neil »

Box arrived yesterday. Thanks again.
Koumei wrote:If other sites had plenty of good homebrew stuff the Den wouldn't need to exist. We don't come here because we like each other.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

All books received. Thanks!

I'm tempted to pull together a Dark Sun game now. Is there a good way to do that in 3.x?
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

All books received. Thanks!

I'm tempted to pull together a Dark Sun game now. Is there a good way to do that in 3.x?
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Well, they did adapt Dark Sun to 3.5 in a couple issues of Dragon and Dungeon Magazine.
Echoes
Journeyman

Post by Echoes »

Ancient History wrote:Well, they did adapt Dark Sun to 3.5 in a couple issues of Dragon and Dungeon Magazine.
There's also the free 3.5 conversion here.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

One of the threads a few years back in IMHO panned Athas's conversion. I might use it anyway, but if there's Den-endorsed option I'd like to look at that too.

On that note, does anyone know if the Paizo adaptation was worthwhile?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

It was ok. Pretty typical WotC/Paizo stuff of the time, really.

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

talozin wrote:It has several pages mirror-printed, which made it inconvenient to read in the days before we could just scan it and invert. Also, the White Wolf graphic design is, in general, worse than usual. Because Malkavians are CRAY ZEE.
Is that the one that actually had Page XX in it, for all those loose references in other books?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
talozin
Knight-Baron

Post by talozin »

Koumei wrote: Is that the one that actually had Page XX in it, for all those loose references in other books?
That's the one. It specifically calls out Werewolf, but who did they think they were fooling? That shit was endemic in their books.

All the other Clanbooks and stuff are also first edition. I think by the time Revised came out, I had started to clue in that downloading someone else's PDF was faster and less of an exercise in setting money on fire.
talozin
Knight-Baron

Post by talozin »

One week to go! I presume that people have all mostly gotten what they wanted out of this list and what remains is not going to draw much interest -- still, bumping. It'll probably take me a week or so to get off my ass once the deadline passes and actually get rid of whatever's left, but then again I sometimes get weirdly motivated, so no promises. If you want something, get the request in before the 31st to be sure I don't throw it away.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

What do you think of Relics and Rituals 2? I've got the first one, and just looking it up on Amazon, I guess 2 has astrology. Thoughts? Dragon magazine did an astrology for D&D, and I definitely like the idea.

talozin
Knight-Baron

Post by talozin »

Prak_Anima wrote:What do you think of Relics and Rituals 2? I've got the first one, and just looking it up on Amazon, I guess 2 has astrology. Thoughts? Dragon magazine did an astrology for D&D, and I definitely like the idea.
My feelings on RR2 kind of mirror my feelings about Scarred Lands as a whole: interesting ideas, lackluster execution. The astrology is not particularly inspiring, and while the Astrology prestige class (there's just one) has some seemingly abusive tricks there is nothing in it that sings out to me as distinctively Scarn.

Basically it's just a large nice-looking book with a bunch of prestige classes, spells, magic items, and psionic bullshit. I just never felt inspired enough by it to go dumpster-diving to find the good stuff.
erik
King

Post by erik »

RR2 is mostly only good for magic items and spells to dumpster dive to include in your campaigns, same as RR1. I actually liked how each spell had a very brief snippet/story involving its use.

There's a bunch of magic items and spells, many appropriately balanced and worth including. I think the books would have been better if no PrC's were printed at all in em but sadly them's what sells books in 2001.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

My post office did spring cleaning this week and found the box (and another 35 lbs of gamebooks for good measure). They claim the packages got lost because they misspelled my surname once again (of course they did), but I suspect they had to actually bring them to my apartment and didn't want to. Thank you again, talozin!