[LP] Sorcery! Now Playing: The Crown of Kings

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Buy.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Bag of teeth bought.
You bid the merchant farewell and leave the hut. If you have bought any artefacts from him, you are anxious to know what they are; but if you bought nothing from him, you may continue on your way.
You may investigate your purchases by turning to the appropriate references as indicated.

The pipe is made of bamboo and you blow it. It gives off a lively little note. You may take this with you.
The teeth in the bag are indeed from various creatures: several from Death-hounds, three from an Ape, four from a Goblin, two from a Snattacat, and a large molar from a Giant. You may take any or all of these.
How on Titan does someone identify teeth that specifically at a glance? I guess our character took a minor in comparative dental topology. Nice to see someone getting some use out of it.
The glittering jewel in its mount is cold to the touch but has an unusual sparkle. You put it in your pack. However it is in fact an Ice Jewel and sometime later will melt away to worthless liquid. You have wasted your money.
Aaand half our starting money spent on a popsicle.
You press onwards, out through Cantopani along the path leading to the Shamutanti hills However, you feel a little uneasy while passing the huts on the fringes of the village. Hissings from within and sly faces which disappear from the doorways as you pass make you feel decidedly unwelcome and you are glad to be leaving. At the edge of the town you pass a large boulder and as you do so, two rough-cut villagers spring out with swords drawn. BANDITS! They demand that you hand over your backpack.

• Do as they ask?
• Refuse (you will have to fight them)?
Name: [TBA, accepting submissions]
SKILL: 7
STAMINA: 23
LUCK: 11
Favor of Libra: √

Backpack
Sword
4 g.p.
2 provisions
Bamboo Flute
Bag of Teeth (? Death-hound, 3 Ape, 4 Goblin, 2 Snattacat, 1 Giant)
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Refuse. No one licks our popsicle but us.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

We might be able to use the Popsicle rock to fool someone in the future, if it's convincing enough to fool a guy who can identify assorted monster teeth. Take all the teeth; Goblin and Giant teeth are both useful for our spells.

And we're not giving any of our stuff to some lowly bandits. Even with a SKILL of 7 we should be able to wipe the floor with these schmucks.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The bandits growl and advance. You may fight them in turn:

First BANDIT: SKILL 7, STAMINA: 6
Second BANDIT: SKILL 7, STAMINA 8

Alternatively, you may choose a spell:

• FOF
• JIG
• BAM
• LAW
• YAZ
• Just fight?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

JIG.
I would prefer an expensive but deadly spell so we could loot the assholes - alas, sigh.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Dance, puppets, dance!
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Deduct 1 STAMINA point. Do you have a bamboo flute with you? If not, you should not be at this reference and must deduct a further 3 STAMINA points as the Bandits attack. If you have such a flute, you may take it from your bag, cast your spell and play. The angry faces of the Bandits turn to expressions of astonishment as they find their limbs jerking in time to the music, quite out of control. They drop their swords and are soon dancing merrily before you. Piping loudly, you direct them back to the village and, as they dance off, you continue your journey.

You continue along the path, leaving the village behind. About half an hour later, you reach the start of the climb into the hills and continue upwards. Five minutes later, you reach a fork offering you two ways onwards.
You ponder the two trails. As you consider the paths onwards, you hear weak cries from a large tree ahead of you. Cautiously, you step up to see an old man sitting on the lowest branch, apparently afraid to jump down to the ground, which considering his age is not surprising.
He pleads with you to assist and you help him down. It transpires that he has been travelling from Dhumpus and is headed towards the Outpost Settlement in Analand. His journey had been safe enough until he was waylaid by Elvins, robbed, and left in the tree. In return for your kindness, he relates a rhyme which he feels may help you:

'See him though he sees you not;
The black-eyed creature creeps.
A guardian once, but now his lot:
The key to freedom keeps.'

He is not sure exactly what the rhyme signifies, but he knows that the Elvins are particularly keen on finding the key in question. He also presses on you his only possession: a page from a Spell Book (page number 102). The spell described is incomplete; you have only part of it. Looking at it, it appears to be some sort of pest-repelling spell. He then bids you farewell and heads off towards Cantopani.

You may now choose your way onwards.

• Will you take the high way up into the hills?
• Or the low way along the valley?
• Alternatively you may investigate a buzzing noise coming from around the tree.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The buzzing noise is probably a bee, and some beeswax would be nice for a RAZ spell.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:The buzzing noise is probably a bee, and some beeswax would be nice for a RAZ spell.
This.

(Too bad we only have half of a pest-repelling spell.)
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

As you look up, you can see a beehive around which a small swarm of bees are buzzing.

• Climb up the tree to investigate? √
• Ignore it and continue onwards?
I think I can anticipate the response.
The bees swarm around you but you are powerless to defend yourself as you must use your hands to grip the tree. Throw one die. If you throw a 1-4, then this is the number of STAMINA points you lose as the bees sting you. If you roll a 5 or 6, you are lucky enough to avoid being stung. When you reach the hive, you knock it down to the ground.

Cutting open the hive on the ground, you may take with you the wax and the honey. The honey will provide you with enough nourishment for one meal.
The roll was a 1.
You may contine your journey either by:

• Following the path into the valley?
• Or by taking the high path up into the hills?
Name: Fletch Beckett
STAMINA: 21/23

Backpack
Sword
4 g.p.
3 provisions
Bamboo Flute
Bag of Teeth (? Death-hound, 3 Ape, 4 Goblin, 2 Snattacat, 1 Giant
Spell Book page (#102)
Beeswax
Also, no-one submitted any names, so I took the liberty. Since this guy is apparently going on a national security mission with all the self-reliance he had in his pockets when the urge took him, I did my best at one of those ridicumazing Randian hero names.
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Yessss.

We're at 21 after the dancing and the bees.

Also, I'll submit a "no preference" vote for the route so that the LP can move forward sooner.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Velley, no particular reason.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The path winds alongside a bubbling stream and you follow it onwards along the west bank. The valley you are in becomes narrower, but you soon come across a flat, grassy bank where you may stop and eat Provisions.

• Eat?
• Continue?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Half a vote for not eating and figuring out how provisions actually work.

I remember Angel said we get penalized for not eating, but we couldn't have possibly run out of provisions at this point, and the "don't eat"choice is probably less like "lose 4 health from hunger" and more like "lol, whatever".
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

If we did another FF where we were a melee fighter character (like in 95% of the fantasy titles) I would have suggested Huge Nuge. And if we do ever do another one (I might have to dig out more books for that at some point) I'd recommend that name. But Huge Nuge doesn't work for a wizard, so I fully approve of Fletch Beckett.

Anyhow, I'll say we don't eat since it doesn't say we have to eat or take damage. Assuming this is anything like Portal of Evil or any of the Lone Wolf books it would warn us that we'd take starvation damage if we didn't eat.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You continue along the path for several hours, taking you deeper into the valley. Presently, the sun begins to set, the air becomes cooler, and you start to consider whether to

• Find a suitable site to camp for the night?
• Continue onwards without sleep?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Camp.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

getting sleeeeepppy.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You find a suitable shelter in the rocks on the bank of the stream and bed down for the night. If you have not eaten since you left the Outpost Settlement, you may take some Provisions if you have any and add 2 STAMINA points. If you have already eaten, you will gain only 1 STAMINA point from the food.

Eventually you drift off to sleep, soothed by the babbling of the stream. A short while later you are awakened by a splashing noise. Looking out from your shelter you see a strange sight. Three small, thin, man-like creatures, glowing with a dull red luminescence, are throwing stones into the stream. Every so often they chirp with glee as a good shot sends a fish flying into the air. As if pulled by a magical force, each fish floats across the water and lands at their feet.

• Sit tight and hope they don't see you?
• Stand up and hail them?
Also, vote to eat or not.
Name: Fletch Beckett
STAMINA: 21/23

Backpack
Sword
4 g.p.
3 provisions
Bamboo Flute
Bag of Teeth (? Death-hound, 3 Ape, 4 Goblin, 2 Snattacat, 1 Giant
Spell Book page (#102)
Beeswax
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Eat and greet. Even if they're unfriendly I doubt they're an insta-kill.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Eat and greet. Even if they're unfriendly I doubt they're an insta-kill.
This. While the entry still doesn't say it's going to penalize stamina, the next food check might be "if you haven't eaten up to this point...". Plus it makes sense, and if we don't do something that makes sense in an attempt to game the system on the assumption the system is bad and fail, we won't have the right to complain.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

As they see you, they all point and gabble excitedly to one another. One of them rises into the air and flies across, hovering over you to take a closer look.

• Attempt to speak with him?
• Hold your ground and prepare to take defensive action?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Talk.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Talk.