I don't know what to do, or what to say.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Kaelik wrote:Or alternatively, several thousand dollars can actually buy you something actually fucking useful to improve your status, and $100 definitely fucking can't, because you need to eat and sleep and shower, and having done that, you have zero dollars left.
Well "Eat, Sleep, and Shower" =/= "spend it all immediately, and often end up in the hospital from overeating after starving for months"

A shower, a day of meals, and a trip to goodwill can be literally less than $20. So now that we know that homeless people saved their thousands of dollars (no one stole it from them, like you implied they could), then we know it's possible for homeless people to save hundreds of dollars. And since showering and food don't cost $50 apiece, then it's likely that a $100-infusion helps any given homeless person more than it hurts.
Last edited by ...You Lost Me on Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

...You Lost Me wrote:
Kaelik wrote:Or alternatively, several thousand dollars can actually buy you something actually fucking useful to improve your status, and $100 definitely fucking can't, because you need to eat and sleep and shower, and having done that, you have zero dollars left.
Well "Eat, Sleep, and Shower" =/= "spend it all immediately, and often end up in the hospital from overeating after starving for months"

A shower, a day of meals, and a trip to goodwill can be literally less than $20. So now that we know that homeless people saved their thousands of dollars (no one stole it from them, like you implied they could), then we know it's possible for homeless people to save hundreds of dollars. And since showering and food don't cost $50 apiece, then it's likely that a $100-infusion helps any given homeless person more than it hurts.
Um. Do you understand how food shock works? If you haven't eaten in days you are starving, and you want to shove all the food down your throat. If you have $100 you buy a bunch of food, and then you eat it, and this is the bad part, if you eat a normal meal, or even worse, more than a normal meal, you will fucking suffer from shock and you should go to the hospital. People who are starving in the desert and then get fed a bunch of food literally die. Homeless, if they haven't been eating, will suffer the same fate.

Now if your argument is, "well they probably gave the money to a professional beggar who actually has plenty of food and a place to stay" I wonder what good you actually think you did.

And the actual scenario, in case it fucking matters, was just described as "Here, here's a few thousand. You'll get another few thousand in a month. And so on." which you'll note is enough to find someplace to fucking live.

Of course, all this is on basically the claims of people too lazy to look up the actual thing to check, who vaguely feel like it was money probably given to homeless people, even though it might actually have been given to people with homes.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

This is the article Maj and I were remembering, where, yes, it talks about people getting basically a paycheck for just being alive so they can continue being alive.

The first situation it talks about is English aid workers making thirteen homeless men the subject of a social experiment, where each man was given a one time sum of 3000 GBP cash with no requirements or strings attached. At the end of the first year, each man had spent no more than an average of 800GBP. By the end of that year, most had housing of one sort or another, and any with drug problems had gotten help.

A Kenyan man was given $500, and a couple months later he had gone from his $2/day quarry job before the money to a $6-9/day job driving people around on a motorbike.

It also talks about a town where residents would receive a minimum yearly income.

What deanruel is talking about is probably stuff like this where some random entrepreneur is walking up to people and handing them a hundred dollars.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Kaelik wrote:Um. Do you understand how food shock works? If you haven't eaten in days you are starving, and you want to shove all the food down your throat. If you have $100 you buy a bunch of food, and then you eat it, and this is the bad part, if you eat a normal meal, or even worse, more than a normal meal, you will fucking suffer from shock and you should go to the hospital. People who are starving in the desert and then get fed a bunch of food literally die. Homeless, if they haven't been eating, will suffer the same fate.
Some homeless dudes were given enough money to overeat, and did not end up in the hospital from overeating. I don't know if that was because they rationed their food, or they were eating at soup kitchens beforehand, or god granted them iron fortitude, but so far we have 0 people who went to the hospital from overeating and ~10 who didn't. So from this sample size of n = [that many people], I'm saying that it's probably not likely that giving a homeless person $100 will lead to them overeating and "end[ing] up in the hospital from overeating after starving for months".
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

...You Lost Me wrote:
Kaelik wrote:Um. Do you understand how food shock works? If you haven't eaten in days you are starving, and you want to shove all the food down your throat. If you have $100 you buy a bunch of food, and then you eat it, and this is the bad part, if you eat a normal meal, or even worse, more than a normal meal, you will fucking suffer from shock and you should go to the hospital. People who are starving in the desert and then get fed a bunch of food literally die. Homeless, if they haven't been eating, will suffer the same fate.
Some homeless dudes were given enough money to overeat, and did not end up in the hospital from overeating. I don't know if that was because they rationed their food, or they were eating at soup kitchens beforehand, or god granted them iron fortitude, but so far we have 0 people who went to the hospital from overeating and ~10 who didn't. So from this sample size of n = [that many people], I'm saying that it's probably not likely that giving a homeless person $100 will lead to them overeating and "end[ing] up in the hospital from overeating after starving for months".
One particular study gave 10 people money and apparently none of them ended up in the hospital* On the other hand, homeless people are admitted to the hospital for food shock already in numbers greater than 10 per 5 years in every metropolitan area in the world. So obviously your sample size of a ten person study is not even remotely comparable to the actual people who are actually admitted to hospitals.

*Actually, you don't know that, because they checked back a month later, and food shock, when it occurs, either kills you or doesn't in days, so they could have all gone to the hospital and that would be consistent with what he do know, but whatever.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Pointing out the hypocrisy of everyday life is kind of the point of observational comedy, dean. Making your distaste into a bit would be the most cathartic and useful thing you could do with it. Using us as a hugbox isn't going to stop the assholes or give the homeless more stable support.

You have an audience and you have a weapon and you have ammunition. Knock 'em dead.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Mask_De_H wrote:Pointing out the hypocrisy of everyday life is kind of the point of observational comedy, dean. Making your distaste into a bit would be the most cathartic and useful thing you could do with it. Using us as a hugbox isn't going to stop the assholes or give the homeless more stable support.

You have an audience and you have a weapon and you have ammunition. Knock 'em dead.
Cheers man, really. I've been writing on it the last couple days. After I run it through a few dozen audiences and get the kinks out of it maybe I'll link a video of a show if you all don't mind looking at my ugly mug for a few minutes.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Definitely. I'm a fan of stand-up comedy, but add Den-grown hatred and satire and anger to the mix and it's even better.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Yeah, please link that when you're done.