Gin tastes like sap

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I was also under the impression that tequila prices are pretty stupid in Australia and that if I lived there I'd probably end up a wine drinker in short order. If someone tried charging me more than $14 for a mixto I'd probably punch them in the neck and get deported.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Okay, spirits are typically bought in 700mL bottles, and no, I don't know what that is in ancient alchemical measurements. And for vodka, that's $30 for the cheap stuff, all the way up to $70 for the "good quality" stuff. Note that it's vodka, you're not supposed to let it touch any part of your mouth that can actually taste, and it all tastes like fire if you don't mix it with stuff.

Tequila, in the same quantities, starts at $40-50.

That's all Australian money, which is close to the value of American. We have high taxation on all alcohol, but basically all spirits are imported, thus gain the "Fuck Australia" multiplier. Given the flavour of wine and beer is comparable to the smell of vomit and cat urine, that's a no-go, so you just shell out for the imported spirits. Cider isn't bad though - $15-20 for an 8-pack of cans.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

A 700mL bottle in Canada tends to be around $23-ish, about $45ish for 1.14L (depending on type and brand, can be way more), and about $60ish for the next size up.

Taxation combined with minimum pricing is why our booze is similar to Australia. I don't mind some $texas tax rate on alcohol, but what really bothers me are minimum prices for things.

When I next go to the USA, I'll make sure to stock up on their cheap liquor for when I return.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Apparently that is 100% of the reason behind every trip anyone takes from Britain to France: to stock up on booze and cigarettes. Because it works out cheaper than buying local, assuming you buy your absolute limit, and then they sell it to their mates for "slightly more than I paid, way more than you'd pay at a shop" and everyone wins.

Except the local economy and the government, I guess. But Cameron's a dick, he'd only spend the tax dollars on drugs (for himself) anyway. And if the people of Britain cared about their local economy, they wouldn't have voted for Tories and Lib-Dems in the first place.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Fuck, how do you afford to drink 'down under'?
$20 for an 8 pack? D:
Are they at least tall?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

No, regular size cans. At least I'm lost a lot of my tolerance to alcohol. It only takes 3-4 of those to get me buzzy and giggly, instead of "all of them". And going halves in a bottle of gin is enough to get me shitfaced.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

One of the big things I noticed moving to the midwest was that booze prices dropped in half. That was fun until I had to quit...
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Whipstitch wrote:I don't know what happened to me but i drink tequila like all the time now. Just a steady stream of tequila and whiskey sours.
Well then I have to point you towards Scorpion Mezcal, which is too spendy for me to try while I still have a full bottle of midshelf tequila in my liquor cabinet, but my mother is close friends with some of the people involved in making and importing it.

Some Aussie wrote: Okay, spirits are typically bought in 700mL bottles, and no, I don't know what that is in ancient alchemical measurements.
A slight rip-off. Because the Bad Ass Tough Fuckers were able to get metrification through for booze, we actually get 750 ml bottles. Although we still refer to them by our own unique unit - not even Imperial, but distinct to the US of A, even though said unit was technically 757 ml.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_(unit)
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I'm not a huge mezcal fan, actually. Even with tequila I tend to be a blanco or mild repo guy--I'm not really in it for wood or smoke flavors, and mezcal tends to be big on the latter.
Koumei wrote:
Tequila, in the same quantities, starts at $40-50.
Uh, yeah, I checked out the Dan Murphy's site and there appears to be some serious name brand shenanigans going on as well--Jose Cuervo Tradicional somehow costs $65 despite being a middle of the road tequila that is all but interchangeable with El Jimador, a not completely terrible tequila that they charge $40 for. But, wait, it gets better: the $25 you save for switching brands is still $7 more than I paid for a bottle of tradicional a few weeks ago for margarita season.
bears fall, everyone dies
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

There we go, grabbed some blue curacao at lunch (25%, Vok brand, $24) and some tropical juice, so tonight I'll test that. Well I say "test".
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:One of the big things I noticed moving to the midwest was that booze prices dropped in half. That was fun until I had to quit...
Why?

Game On,
fbmf