General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

que?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

I believe he was trying to say that inflicting massive collateral damage is perfectly fine as long as the other society is considered more evil than you.

This is, nobody cries for the families of the generic soldiers of tyrant general McEvil, do they? Or when they leave a path of destruction through the city of tyrant general McEvil, the audience doesn't mind all the local civilians caught in the destruction, do they?
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

deaddmwalking wrote:The problem with a lot of games is that you adopt that role consistently, and it doesn't stay fun long.
Was ?
Thats bullshit, pal.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

I think the real question here is why silva doesn't have Oblivion or Fallout 3. You ok there buddy?
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

momothefiddler wrote:I think the real question here is why silva doesn't have Oblivion or Fallout 3. You ok there buddy?
You can get both of those without steam.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Occluded Sun wrote:How often have you been in an Evil D&D party? Or done awful things in Vampire? That's not really the mood of either game.
I've never played vampire. I've been in many Evil D&D parties though. Some of the best D&D games I've had were evil campaigns. Though, the worst game I've ever been in was also an Evil D&D campaign, which soured me on playing with that group.
As long as everyone is on the same page though, playing Evil allows for far more roleplaying freedom. You don't have to kick all the puppies as an Evil overlord.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

AndreiChekov wrote:
momothefiddler wrote:I think the real question here is why silva doesn't have Oblivion or Fallout 3. You ok there buddy?
You can get both of those without steam.
You can pay someone $50 to kick you in the head repeatedly. (More seriously I didn't think of that. I only ever buy games on Steam at this point... and he does have Morrowind and Skyrim and FNV on there, so...)
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Momo: I have both, just not on steam. ;)
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Whew. All is well. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

I have a deep seated hatred for steam, and only use it for DOTA2. I even took the time to download a crack for my legally purchased skyrim so that i wouldn't have to touch steam.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, this has gotten perhaps a bit metaphorical.

My question comes down to "Why are HeroClix and Magic super populer, but 'HeroClix but with vampires and ghosts and cultists' and 'Magic as a megalomaniacal overlord' not?" Or "Why is D&D popular, but 'Universal Studios the RPG' not?"

Why is playing or using classical monsters or being an evil overlord a niche thing, but playing swaggering gangs, vigilantes and wizards summoning beasts and dragons ...as mainstream as you can really expect nerd activities to get?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Well, I like Steam and usually give preference to it over other alternatives.

I think I played Oblivion and Fallout 3 through black flag versions though. Don't remember really. BTW, its something that happened here in Brazil: A lot of people stopped pirating games once Steam got popular, because it helped reduce the games prices in half.
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

Stahlseele wrote:que?
Wait, was this directed at my comments?

I was agreeing with you that Shadowrunners are, by any modern definition terrorists.

Further, its astounding to me that a game where the PCs are terrorists didn't get harrassed into oblivion post 9/11. Characters whose creedo could be expressed as "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue" are not going to be protagonists or heroes in general consumption modern media. The "shadowrunners" of the modern wold get killed by rockets from UAVs they never know are comming.

Anyway, this thread seems to keep shifting between several concepts that I think all are actually about slightly differnt things.

1) Playing monsters is nominally about exploring what it is to be human. If you were playing VTM by the book (I know this never happened) this was supposed to be your central conflict, do you succomb to the inhuman nature or do you retain some tiny shred of what makes you more than a beast. Although typically monsters typically more numerous on the antagonist side playing as a monster normally says little about being an antagonist or protagonist.

2) Although role playing games clearly have the capacity to let the PCs generally be antagonists this generally doesn't work because the medium doesn't really support it. The hardest issue is clearly that antagonist PCs are harder to have continuing adventures with. Any format that could actually make the game work will inevtably start seeming less like playing the villians and more like playing anti-heroes.

3) Basically all "Heroes" in modern culture are anti-heroes to some degree. Hell, they are all such anti-heroes that if you slot in a true hero it can be his entire persona (see Captain America). There are lots of games where you play "bad guys", theives, outlaws, and other neir-do-wells of various stripes. These are actually so common that the idea that any party based game WONT include at least a couple of "dark siders" would be more odd than it including such characters.

TLDR; PCs play bad guys and monsters all the time, in all kinds of games to the point where its a literal trope. What they don't play is antagonists because it doesn't work.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

D&D isn't the most serious approach worldbuilding I've ever seen, but it's far more consistent and mature than Universal monsters, most of which aren't all that plausible even within their own features and which often get squeezed together (Wolfman meets the Bride of the Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc.).

The Universal monsters aren't particularly scary any more - and that was their primary draw. Mindflayers and orcs don't feel quite so trite.
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
Shady314
Knight

Post by Shady314 »

Because even just pretending to be bad makes many people feel bad.
Last edited by Shady314 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Prak wrote:Why is playing or using classical monsters or being an evil overlord a niche thing
To summarise: they lose. Popular escapism is not built from the perspective of losers. It just doesn't sell.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Prak wrote:"Why is D&D popular, but 'Universal Studios the RPG' not?"
You have flawed premises. D&D was less popular than Universal Studios the RPG for about four years in the late 90s. White Wolf had what was for the day a slick presentation and D&D was a doddering dinosaur held together with grognard tears.

-Username17