[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 51 - Island of the Undead (Take 2)

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which of the below are you most interested in completing?

Island of the Undead (FF51)
67%
Deathmoor (FF55)
33%

Total votes: 3

SGamerz
King

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 51 - Island of the Undead (Take 2)

Post by SGamerz »

Clearly the young man is desperately fearful and he is frantically preparing lo cast another spell. Roll two dice then add 2 to the total rolled. If the final total is less than, or equal to, your PRESENCE, turn to 19. If the total is greater than your PRESENCE, turn to 303.
Dice roll = 6 (Success).
The thin-faced young fellow lowers his hands, realizing that you have no intention of killing him. Clearly he's desperately afraid, though, and he is shaking and trembling as he speaks. He doesn't know who you are and won't give you his name; he says he is a wizard's apprentice and is imprisoned here. You sense that threatening him won't get you anywhere, so you must make some gesture of friendship. You can offer him food (deduct 1 from your Provisions), a Potion of Stamina, some grog or a dose of Monks' Herbal Liqueur. If you do this, remove the appropriate item from your Adventure Sheet and turn to 48. If you won't give him anything, he won't trust you - so you can either attack him or leave him here and go elsewhere.
Which of our STAMINA restoratives do we want to give him. If we don't give him anything, do we attack him or just leave?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Yeah, we've got plenty of provisions, we can share some.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I also vote to offer him a Provision.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The young man gratefully accepts what you offer him. He says his name is Vesperen; he served one of the four wizards who lived in the tower and dungeons. He is afraid to leave because of the guards outside the tower; they may attack him. His supplies have run very low and he doesn't know where to get any more food or water. You may tell him how he can get out of the tower (if you have killed the guards of smuggled yourself in through the cliffs, for example), and he's desperate to leave. But first he will give you some information. He'll tell you about two and only two of the subjects listed below: when you consult one of the paragraphs, you will be referred back here; but after you have learned about the two subjects of your choice, Vesperan will have his bags packed ready to leave, and you haven't the heart to stop him. So, will you ask about:

What happened to the wizards?
Dangerous traps in the dungeons?
What is in the upper levels of the tower?
Elementals in the dungeons?
Undead in the dungeons?
How to get past the blue screen of light, and what's behind it?

After you have made your two choices and got your information, turn to 76.
Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Name: Fred
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 14/19
LUCK 11/12
PRESENCE: 10
Equipment: Knife, Backpack, Waterskin, Leather Jerkin, Sword, Bottle of Blade Venom (+1 damage for one combat), Rope (x2), Wooden Pole, Gold Key (found in section 40), Potion of Stamina x2 (restores lost STAMINA points up to one-half of Initial STAMINA when drunk, rounding fractions up), Flask of Grog (+4 STAMINA, +1 Attack Strength for next combat after drunk), Magic Sword (+1 Attack Strength in combat), Shield (x2), Lantern, Bottle of Monks’ Herbal Liqueur x2 (4 doses in total, each restores 4 STAMINA when drunk), pestle and mortar, Herbiary (dog-eared pages: page 311 on the Rat-tailed Fungus, page 175 on the Pitcher Plant, page 266 on the Axeplant), Sapphire (50 facets), Topaz (24 facets), Skeleton Key, Small Pearl, Brass Orb (picked up in section 63), Ruby (36 facets), Tiger Eye stone, stone axe
Provisions: 7/12
Gold: 8
Afflictions:
Parraine's Services remaining: 1/3
Extra Lives remaining: 15/18
Notes:
1) Message pieced together from torn scraps of paper found in monastery: "There is conflict between the wizards, Caltarelair has certainly quarrelled with one of his fellows and a magic duel cannot be far away. One of them has begun to dabble in magic other than elementalism. Ralsteen the Hermit may have sensed any disturbance at the Circle; I am too weak to risk visiting it. I must hasten to hide the Crystals, and I will hide them in pairs, one pair in..."
2) Parraine will do us a service three times before we bury his bones. He can perform any of the following acts at any time as one service: cure one disease, strengthen our sword so that it inflicts 6 points of damage to the STAMINA of an enemy as the result of a successful hit in combat (can choose this service after we hit the enemy), and he can heal for up to 8 points of lost STAMINA (this cannot be carried out during a combat).
[/spoiler]
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to ask, "What happened to the wizards?" and "How to get past the blue screen of light, and what's behind it?"
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

How to get past the blue screen, and dangerous traps.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

"There is a library beyond the barrier. I don't know how to get past the screen. It's trapped: touch it and you get badly burnt. I think the wizards used to get into the library through a magical teleport down in the dungeons, but they never told me where it was. I wasn't allowed to read the books there. But I do know that there is a magical password to a door without a lock or handle somewhere below; the word is 'elementarae'."
Voting for the second question to ask Vesperen is still open.

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 14/19
LUCK 11/12
Equipment: Knife, Backpack, Waterskin, Leather Jerkin, Sword, Bottle of Blade Venom (+1 damage for one combat), Rope (x2), Wooden Pole, Gold Key (found in section 40), Potion of Stamina x2 (restores lost STAMINA points up to one-half of Initial STAMINA when drunk, rounding fractions up), Flask of Grog (+4 STAMINA, +1 Attack Strength for next combat after drunk), Magic Sword (+1 Attack Strength in combat), Shield (x2), Lantern, Bottle of Monks’ Herbal Liqueur x2 (4 doses in total, each restores 4 STAMINA when drunk), pestle and mortar, Herbiary (dog-eared pages: page 311 on the Rat-tailed Fungus, page 175 on the Pitcher Plant, page 266 on the Axeplant), Sapphire (50 facets), Topaz (24 facets), Skeleton Key, Small Pearl, Brass Orb (picked up in section 63), Ruby (36 facets), Tiger Eye stone, stone axe
Provisions: 7/12
Afflictions:
Parraine's Services remaining: 1/3
Notes:
1) Message pieced together from torn scraps of paper found in monastery: "There is conflict between the wizards, Caltarelair has certainly quarrelled with one of his fellows and a magic duel cannot be far away. One of them has begun to dabble in magic other than elementalism. Ralsteen the Hermit may have sensed any disturbance at the Circle; I am too weak to risk visiting it. I must hasten to hide the Crystals, and I will hide them in pairs, one pair in..."
2) Parraine will do us a service three times before we bury his bones. He can perform any of the following acts at any time as one service: cure one disease, strengthen our sword so that it inflicts 6 points of damage to the STAMINA of an enemy as the result of a successful hit in combat (can choose this service after we hit the enemy), and he can heal for up to 8 points of lost STAMINA (this cannot be carried out during a combat).
3) The magical password to a door without a lock or handle somewhere below in the dungeons is 'elementarae'.
[/spoiler]
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I second "What happened to the wizards?"
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

"Their leader was the Master of Waters. It was he who began tampering with undead creatures at first, but only in an idle way. His deputy, the Master of Fire, was the one who brought down the great spirit into the dungeons. It has possessed him now. He slew the Master of Waters. I cannot speak their names, magic cast over me forbids it. My own master, Remishaz, Master of Air, was not evil, but he was intrigued by spirits and undead from the Magical Planes, especially the Ethereal, and I'm afraid he did dabble a little. He argued with the Master of Earth, who animated undead from the ground, and they slew each other. They still live on as spirits, warring down there in the dungeons. I still don't understand why their disagreement became so violent in the end. Until they're at peace, the great spirit possessing the Master of Fire cannot be destroyed. Looking back, it was meddling with the undead that brought them all to disaster..."
And that's the second question done!
Leaving the apprentice's chambers, will you:

Open the door along the passageway, if you haven't done so before?
Descend the stairs?
Try to get through the blue light screen?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to open the door along the passageway.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Door along the passageway.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You open the door into a storeroom which has been almost emptied of its contents. Empty jars, sacks with but a handful of stale grain, scattered empty bottles and the like litter the shelves here. It looks fairly barren; if you want to make a prolonged search, turn to 65. Alternatively, going back to the passage, will you:

Open the door at the far end of the passage, if you haven't already done so?
Descend the steps?
Try to pass through the screen of light?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to make a prolonged search.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You must eat a meal during your search here. You don't find any useful articles here but you do find a secret door in one of the walls. If you have a Silver Skeleton Key, you can, if you wish, open this door; if you don't have that key, you cannot open it. Will you:

Open the secret door?
Open the door at the far end of the passage, if you haven't done so before?
Descend the steps?
Try to pass through the screen of light?
We do have the skeleton key...

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 14/19
LUCK 11/12
Provisions: 6/12
Afflictions:
Notes:
3) The magical password to a door without a lock or handle somewhere below in the dungeons is 'elementarae'.
[/spoiler]
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to open the secret door.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Open secret door.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Beyond the secret door a long tunnel stretches into the distance; it is very dark here. Peering into the gloom, you see a crypt chamber in the distance; the air is dank and foul. Entering here is hardly a pleasant prospect; if you wish to do so, turn to 178. Alternatively, you can leave this place and search elsewhere on this dungeon level by turning to 277.
Do we enter the crypt chamber?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Enter crypt.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I also vote to enter the tunnel.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

There is a strong sense of psychic disturbance in the crypt, an atmosphere of unease among the tombs. You notice that something has scratched at one of them: there are claw marks on the tomb's lid, which is slightly askew. Symbols of the good gods of Titan are etched on its surface. The other tombs are all seated. Will you:

Prise open the lid of the tomb before you?
Open one of the other tombs?
Leave the crypt?