Moments when a piece of entertainment completely rocked you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Note: I am extremely biased towards Christmas, so I am sure that has colored my review.

Klaus, on Netflix, is awesome. It's a new take on the origin of Santa, and it is not what I expected. The animation is beautiful. JK Simmons makes a great voice of Santa. And it's chock-full of all the heart-warming things you'd expect in a Christmas flick.
There is a part of me that also really enjoyed the villains in the story because they seemed to be caricatures of right wing peeps in the government right now. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but their insistence on tradition and fighting and destruction in the face of post offices and schools and being kind to each other just seemed to reflect the political state of affairs so well that it made me laugh.
Last edited by Maj on Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Really enjoying Jacob Tobia's Double Trouble in the fourth season of She-Ra.
erik
King

Post by erik »

My boys both love the whole She-Ra series. I think it's ok and fall short of personally loving it, but I very much prefer to watch it than something like Captain Underpants, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, or Some Assembly Required. Those are terrible (especially the latter two) and I'm happy we've found another show I can watch with them.

I've put Klaus on our list of things to watch in the future.

Jack Ryan is back. Enjoyed season 1, and we're struggling to watch season 2 since the kids are forbidden from watching it with us (got in half of the first episode of season 2 so far).
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

OK. So I was totally on the fence about getting Disney+, but now that I have it, it's like one constant joygasm. The shows that I watched with my little brother and sister (Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, Rescue Rangers, Tale Spin) are there and lots of the movies we had on VHS. They should have done this a LONG time ago.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Netflix has Peewee's playhouse.

Edit: I have no idea how this got sold as a show for children, or moderately sober people.
Last edited by Iduno on Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@Maj do they have Rosswell Conspiracies?
And as for Gargoyles:
How many Seasons / Episodes to they offer?
And i can't remember right now, was MIB animated and some Ghost Busters Animated not also under the Disney Umbrella?
Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Stahlseele wrote:@Maj do they have Rosswell Conspiracies?
Not Disney, so no.
And as for Gargoyles:
Three seasons, 78 episodes total (which is all of them, as far as I can tell).
And i can't remember right now, was MIB animated and some Ghost Busters Animated not also under the Disney Umbrella?
Neither of those is Disney.

:)
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Hrm, strange . . well, it has been . . a decade or two since i watched those so i probably am misremembering the disney logo being shown before those shows <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Maj wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:@Maj do they have Rosswell Conspiracies?
Not Disney, so no.
And as for Gargoyles:
Three seasons, 78 episodes total (which is all of them, as far as I can tell).
Neither of those is Disney.

:)
I'm just going to assume they don't have Song of the South or the original Fantasia.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

Those movies are racist and nobody can ever see them again.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:Those movies are racist and nobody can ever see them again.
That's a reason why they should be viewable. At least Whoopi Goldberg thinks so.

[quote="Whoopi Goldberg]
I’m trying to find a way to get people to start having conversations about bringing Song of the South back, so we can talk about what it was and where it came from and why it came out...Some of the cartoons here reflect some of the prejudices that were commonplace in American society, especially when it came to the treatment of racial and ethnic minorities. These jokes were wrong then and they are wrong today, but removing these inexcusable images and jokes would be the same as saying they never existed, so they are presented here to accurately reflect a part of our history that cannot and should not be ignored. [/quote]

I find that argument persuasive.

I also think that the portrayal of Uncle Remus is complicated. There are a lot of reasons to object to it; but there are also reasons to consider it an important step forward. He wasn't a comic character, and he wasn't a criminal or predator.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Disney will bury those fucking movies for the rest of eternity, assuming they haven't burned all the existing material already. They don't care about your quaint notions of "racial awareness". It was bad history and they would very much like for you to forget about it and keep buying Disney+.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:Disney will bury those fucking movies for the rest of eternity, assuming they haven't burned all the existing material already. They don't care about your quaint notions of "racial awareness". It was bad history and they would very much like for you to forget about it and keep buying Disney+.
According to the article I linked, they didn't bury it. They still show it in other countries. You know any Aussies with Disney+?
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

I don't know any Aussies, nor do I know anyone with Disney+. I hope. No one in America will ever see those movies outside of seedy underground viewings at a warehouse downtown, for fear of being publicly shamed and ostracized if anyone ever found out.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

They do not have Song of the South, but they have the original Fantasia. There is a content warning on it that reads, "This program is presented as originally created. It may contain outdated cultural depictions."
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:Disney will bury those fucking movies for the rest of eternity, assuming they haven't burned all the existing material already. They don't care about your quaint notions of "racial awareness". It was bad history and they would very much like for you to forget about it and keep buying Disney+.
They literally can't bury it, as it is already in public domain in Japan. If you really want to watch Old Timey Racism: The Cartoon, you can order a DVD off the internet and watch it in your living room. Sure, Disney won't sell it to you. But that's because they've made the understandable choice of not wanting to be the sort of company that makes its profits off of old timey racism. They're not under any sort of ethical obligation to sell cartoons that they don't stand by any longer. But that doesn't matter, because if you really want it for the historical value you can. It isn't even that difficult.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

So they'll make their profits off of old timey racism, just not where they'll get much bad publicity for it?
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

If you order a public domain copy from Japan, Disney makes no dollars. That's what public domain means - anybody (not just Disney) can make you a copy.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

But then I'll own a Disney product, which is almost as bad as giving Disney money.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I had assumed that was a reference to Fantasia's presence on the subscription-based Disney+ service. Apparently not? But I think the point stands even if it wasn't what Adventurer's Almanac meant: Disney is neither refusing to distribute original Fantasia altogether, nor re-editing it to cut out the racial caricature, nor donating it to the public domain so it can be on the public record as an example of how all-pervasive prejudice was at the time without anyone profiting off of its portrayal of black people.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

In the late 1960s, four shots from The Pastoral Symphony were removed that depicted two characters in a racially stereotyped manner. A black centaurette called Sunflower was depicted polishing the hooves of a white centaurette, and a second named Otika appeared briefly during the procession scenes with Bacchus and his followers.[162] According to Disney archivist David Smith, the sequence was aired uncut on television in 1963 before the edits were made for the film's 1969 theatrical reissue.[163] John Carnochan, the editor responsible for the change in the 1991 video release, said: "It's sort of appalling to me that these stereotypes were ever put in".[164] Film critic Roger Ebert commented on the edit: "While the original film should, of course, be preserved for historical purposes, there is no need for the general release version to perpetrate racist stereotypes in a film designed primarily for children."[165] The edits have been in place in all subsequent theatrical and home video reissues.[165]
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Maj wrote:They do not have Song of the South, but they have the original Fantasia. There is a content warning on it that reads, "This program is presented as originally created. It may contain outdated cultural depictions."
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

OK. I didn't watch it for specific scenes. That's just what the description said, and the release date was listed as 1940.

But I quit bingeing The Dragon Prince to verify that the scene does not have the black centaur polishing the white centaur's hooves. So I guess it's the original edited version.

Speaking of, I'm enjoying season 3. I really, really like the diversity of this show.
Last edited by Maj on Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

So, Frozen 2. It's a good movie. Taken as a stand-alone film I think it gets rated highly by most anyone. When compared directly to Frozen directly, I think it suffers.

Like, everyone agrees that Temple of the Doom is the weakest Indiana Jones film in the trilogy (we don't talk about Crystal Skull), but against other films of the era it's certainly worth watching. This is a good movie, too. The songs were decent - they didn't feel like they were actively trying for a show-tune feel (I especially felt that with the Trolls in Frozen 1) - but there isn't anything that is as singable.
-This space intentionally left blank
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Bojack Season 6 is about improving yourself, fixing the issues you've caused, and forgiveness. It's good this time of year, and also has some great dumb jokes.