[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 51 - Island of the Undead (Take 2)

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which of the below are you most interested in completing?

Island of the Undead (FF51)
67%
Deathmoor (FF55)
33%

Total votes: 3

JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 51 - Island of the Undead (Take 2)

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to prise open the lid of the tomb.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Post by Queen of Swords »

Open the lid of the tomb before us.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Open the box.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Disturbing the tomb of a good priest, which is what you have done, costs you the loss of 1 point of LUCK and 1 point of PRESENCE. The tomb itself contains only dust and the bones of the priest. You may take some Tomb Dust if you wish (add it to your Possessions if you do). Now. will you open another tomb or leave the crypt?
Adventure Sheet:
[spoiler]Name: Fred
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 14/19
LUCK 10/12
PRESENCE: 9
Equipment: Knife, Backpack, Waterskin, Leather Jerkin, Sword, Bottle of Blade Venom (+1 damage for one combat), Rope (x2), Wooden Pole, Gold Key (found in section 40), Potion of Stamina x2 (restores lost STAMINA points up to one-half of Initial STAMINA when drunk, rounding fractions up), Flask of Grog (+4 STAMINA, +1 Attack Strength for next combat after drunk), Magic Sword (+1 Attack Strength in combat), Shield (x2), Lantern, Bottle of Monks’ Herbal Liqueur x2 (4 doses in total, each restores 4 STAMINA when drunk), pestle and mortar, Herbiary (dog-eared pages: page 311 on the Rat-tailed Fungus, page 175 on the Pitcher Plant, page 266 on the Axeplant), Sapphire (50 facets), Topaz (24 facets), Skeleton Key, Small Pearl, Brass Orb (picked up in section 63), Ruby (36 facets), Tiger Eye stone, stone axe, Tomb Dust
Provisions: 6/12
Gold: 8
Afflictions:
Extra Lives remaining: 15/18
Notes:
1) Message pieced together from torn scraps of paper found in monastery: "There is conflict between the wizards, Caltarelair has certainly quarrelled with one of his fellows and a magic duel cannot be far away. One of them has begun to dabble in magic other than elementalism. Ralsteen the Hermit may have sensed any disturbance at the Circle; I am too weak to risk visiting it. I must hasten to hide the Crystals, and I will hide them in pairs, one pair in..."
2) Parraine will do us a service three times before we bury his bones. He can perform any of the following acts at any time as one service: cure one disease, strengthen our sword so that it inflicts 6 points of damage to the STAMINA of an enemy as the result of a successful hit in combat (can choose this service after we hit the enemy), and he can heal for up to 8 points of lost STAMINA (this cannot be carried out during a combat).
3) The magical password to a door without a lock or handle somewhere below in the dungeons is 'elementarae'.
[/spoiler]
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to take the Tomb Dust and leave the crypt.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Take the dust, but half vote to desecrate another tomb.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Opening any other tomb will yield you no treasure, only misfortune! A cloud of foul gas escapes from the tomb; you now have the disease, Lung Rot. Simultaneously the skeleton within the tomb animates to attack you. If you do not have a lantern with oil, you are fighting in the dark and must subtract 2 from your Attack Strength during this combat. Additionally, a sword will inflict only 1 point of damage to the Skeleton, even if it is a Magic Sword; a stone axe, if you have one, will inflict the usual 2 points of damage.

SKELETON SKILL 6 STAMINA 6

If you win, you can either open the first tomb you examined, if you haven't done so already, or leave the crypt.
Damn, after spending one of the spirit's services to get rid of the disease, we got it back again. At least we do have the lantern and the stone axe for this fight.

COMBAT LOG:
Skeleton 18, Fred 24. Skeleton is at 4.
Skeleton 9, Fred 23. Skeleton is at 2.
Skeleton 9, Fred 22. Skeleton is destroyed.

There's nothing left to do except to leave.
Leaving the crypt and the storeroom, you return to the main passage. Will you now:

Open the door at the far end of the passage, if you haven't done so before?
Descend the steps?
Try to pass through the screen of light?
Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 14/19
LUCK 10/12
PRESENCE: 9
Equipment: Knife, Backpack, Waterskin, Leather Jerkin, Sword, Bottle of Blade Venom (+1 damage for one combat), Rope (x2), Wooden Pole, Gold Key (found in section 40), Potion of Stamina x2 (restores lost STAMINA points up to one-half of Initial STAMINA when drunk, rounding fractions up), Flask of Grog (+4 STAMINA, +1 Attack Strength for next combat after drunk), Magic Sword (+1 Attack Strength in combat), Shield (x2), Lantern, Bottle of Monks’ Herbal Liqueur x2 (4 doses in total, each restores 4 STAMINA when drunk), pestle and mortar, Herbiary (dog-eared pages: page 311 on the Rat-tailed Fungus, page 175 on the Pitcher Plant, page 266 on the Axeplant), Sapphire (50 facets), Topaz (24 facets), Skeleton Key, Small Pearl, Brass Orb (picked up in section 63), Ruby (36 facets), Tiger Eye stone, stone axe, Tomb Dust
Afflictions: Lung Rot
Notes:
1) Message pieced together from torn scraps of paper found in monastery: "There is conflict between the wizards, Caltarelair has certainly quarrelled with one of his fellows and a magic duel cannot be far away. One of them has begun to dabble in magic other than elementalism. Ralsteen the Hermit may have sensed any disturbance at the Circle; I am too weak to risk visiting it. I must hasten to hide the Crystals, and I will hide them in pairs, one pair in..."
2) Parraine will do us a service three times before we bury his bones. He can perform any of the following acts at any time as one service: cure one disease, strengthen our sword so that it inflicts 6 points of damage to the STAMINA of an enemy as the result of a successful hit in combat (can choose this service after we hit the enemy), and he can heal for up to 8 points of lost STAMINA (this cannot be carried out during a combat).
3) The magical password to a door without a lock or handle somewhere below in the dungeons is 'elementarae'.
[/spoiler]
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Oooof, Fred got Lung Rot again? Let's hope that doesn't screw him over later on.

I vote to descend the steps.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Damn, I didn’t think we’d get the disease a second time.

Descend the steps.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Descend.

I guess they put mechanics in for Lung Rot, so made sure there were opportunities for it to get used.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

One step at a time, you make your way carefully down the stone stairway, looking for traps. Test your Skill; if you don't have a wooden pole with you to test the steps ahead, you must add 2 to the total rolled. If you are successful, turn to 144. If you fail, turn to 101.
We do have a wooden pole, so we can't fail this test.
You are standing in the middle of another long passageway which is magically illuminated. To your left, the stone of the walls is brown-tinged; this brown stone continues until it disappears in a vaporous yellow haze in the far distance. The wall facing you has two doors in it: straight ahead of you there is a black wooden door with iron hinges and lock; to the left, between you and the yellow haze, there is a door made of reddish wood, not unlike rosewood. To your right, the passage ends at yet another door, this time of brownish wood. Diagonally across from you, stone steps lead downwards. Will you:

Open the black door?
Open the brown door?
Open the rosewood door?
Descend the stairs?
Head for the yellow haze in the distance?
It's still random choice, but hey, it's between different types of wood rather than different directions!
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to head for the yellow haze in the distance, as it could be a spirit that the apprentice was talking about.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Makes sense.
Queen of Swords
Prince

Sure, try the yellow haze.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You set off down the passage to the yellow haze and, as you walk, the passage seems to change substance, to become a semi-solid vapour, and your feet are sinking shin-deep into a thick, yellow fog on the floor. The passageway opens into a seemingly roofless chamber with a spinning vortex of air in the centre and gentle breezes blowing about it. Sitting at the base of the vortex is a yellow-robed man; he looks semi-substantial, as if his body were made of wisps of air, and his robes and floating white hair dissipate into cloudy wisps and plumes. His azure eyes turn to you as you gaze at him, and his nimble fingers fly and flicker as he begins a magical incantation. If you want to attack him, tum to 265. If you want to flee from his spell, turn to 11. If you think you know his name and want converse with him, turn to 244.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

The description of the yellow-robed man sounds like Remishaz, Master of Air, so I vote to talk with him with the name Remishaz.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Agreed.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

If you know the name of the Master of Air, convert his name to a number as follows: use the code A=1, B=2, C=3 and so on to Z=26. Add together the numbers which correspond to the letters in his name. Turn to the paragraph of the same number and, if the paragraph begins 'Master of Air...', you are correct and should read that paragraph. If it does not, your guess as to his name is wrong, and you must turn to 265 and fight him after all!
Well, this confirms that we identified the right elemental master.
"Master of Air," you plead, "Remishaz, do not be angry with me, I am not your enemy. I have spoken with your apprentice, Vesperen, and he has told me that you were not evil in life. I do not seek to harm you." The spirit looks troubled, uncertain what to do. "I seek only to destroy the evil here; storms and the undead have come to my home and people, men and women, have died."

The spirit looks down at the floor, ashamed, but Remishaz replies, "It was not my doing. It was the Master of Earth, rot his guts! I will drive him down to a final death!' The spirit is almost raving, and the suddenness of his change of mood startles you.

"I know not of him," you reply swiftly. "I only know you are not at peace. Nor will you be while evil remains here. Help me."

Remishaz looks wary and suspicious. Slowly and softly, after thinking long and hard, he replies, "Then give me something to show I can trust you. A spirit such as myself has little I can take from you, but you must sacrifice something to gain my trust." In order to satisfy the spirit, you must give some of your own life force to him; you must give up 1 point of both your current and Initial SKILL, LUCKL or PRESENCE. If you are unwilling to do this, you must leave and search else where; turn to 21. If you are willing, make the appropriate changes on your, Adventure Sheet and turn to 314.
Which stat do we sacrifice, if any?
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to sacrifice presence.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

May as well.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The spirit looks satisfied at your sacrifice. "There is a magical force, sealed and hidden not far away, which must be laid to rest. Come with me." You accompany the spirit as he drifts along the strange, hazy passage to its indeterminate border with the stone beyond. The spirit passes his hand over one wall and reveals a hidden door, glowing with runs. The number of runes on the door is equal to the number of elements raised to its own power; the number 4 to the fourth power is 256, of course. "This is the Chamber of Elements. Something within causes strife and struggle, and there can be no respite from the evil the Master of Fire has brought here without dealing with this. Alone, I cannot give you leave to enter. You have to bring that abject wretch, the Master of Earth, here to open it. His domain is directly opposite mine. I cannot bring myself to speak his vile name." Remishaz remains by the door and speaks no more.
Standing in the main passageway, choose an area to explore which you have not yet investigated. Will you:

Open the brown door?
Open the black door?
Descend the stairs?
Open the rosewood door?
Head for the hazy yellow light in the distance?
Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 12/12
STAMINA 14/19
LUCK 10/12
PRESENCE: 8
Afflictions: Lung Rot
Notes:
[/spoiler]
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

I vote to check out the black door.