It's Personal...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I'm sick and tired of people mind-caulking themself homerules for RPGs, then discussing those rules as they are obvious and true, and then staring blankly at me like I'm a retard, when I try to explain that those are not the rules written in the book.

The specific example was a discussion was about Imperfection of SWLiHN in Exalted. The people were saying that "A is not A", and not giving up even when confronted with this paradox.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Wasn't her Imperfection "Perfect defenses only function in wasteland" and she offers a Charm that turns everything within X radius of you into a wasteland, thus meaning it always works?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

No. Her imperfection is "Can't defend against charms or combos I've never seen". People were seriously arguing with me that "A+B" and "A+B+C" are the same combo, if C is not a combat charm.
Last edited by Longes on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

My favorite example of that problem is the factotum.

Absolutely no one is every willing to admit their houserules for a factotum are houserules. Like literally, if you had a gun to their head, they would swear to their grave that they aren't houseruling the factotum at all.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

We don't have a movie thread, so I'll post here.
Dumb and Dumber To (2014)
The existence of this movie just gave me cancer.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Hey, Jim Carry and whatsit's face need paychecks, too.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

It's still hard for me to believe that's the same dude who stars in The Newsroom.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Stupid JC Penny doesn't carry blazers in my size. The biggest they carry is a 52, and I feel like Chris Farley wearing it... I need a 56.
Try someplace nicer, and ask if they have anything on clearance. Ideally, there will be a small-business formalwear place in a mall somewhere near you, but failing that, try Joseph A. Banks or something. Go, look around, but remember that you have zero obligation to buy and that just because something is cheap in some abstract sense doesn't mean it's worthwhile to you (an Abrams tank for a million bucks is a steal, but you still shouldn't spend a million bucks. Same applies to many suit brands).

You're also almost certainly going to want it altered to fit you afterwards. That adds a noticeable cost, but once you're committed to that, you can accept things that fit less well to start with, especially if they have a lot of spare fabric.

Consider getting a real suit instead of just a blazer. If you pick one where the coat also looks good on it's own, that will give you more options later (and the pants will likely go fine with just a button-down shirt as well.

The best thing you can do for a suit is get comfortable wearing it. It's fairly obvious when the only time someone has ever worn a suit is for an interview. While it's not a drawback exactly, you want to look as comfortable and collected as possible in any situation where you're likely to want a suit. I strongly recommend that whatever you get, you make some opportunities to wear it socially, at least until you're as comfortable in a suit as in a polo.
(You could probably even turn it into a date or something: "Hey, I need to get used to wearing my new suit. Lets dress up fancy and get dinner.")

I usually find lawyers have the best advice for business dress. Not that any individual lawyer does, just that the best advice seems to come from that profession. Here's a good article on how to pick suits:
http://philawdelphia.wordpress.com/2012 ... rt-2a-men/

Finally, the best articles I've found on business dress are from this guy: https://lawyerist.com/author/leomulvihill/ . I haven't followed nearly of all his advice, but just like building a character, knowing what high-optimization look like is helpful, even if you don't use it.
Shoes: https://lawyerist.com/66281/the-one-sho ... ht-to-own/
Also shoes: https://lawyerist.com/46342/leave-clown ... he-circus/
Ties: https://lawyerist.com/61486/a-treatise- ... -pictures/
Colors: https://lawyerist.com/44891/suit-colors ... -clueless/
Getting clothes cheap: https://lawyerist.com/48578/look-like-a-million-bucks/
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Longes wrote:No. Her imperfection is "Can't defend against charms or combos I've never seen". People were seriously arguing with me that "A+B" and "A+B+C" are the same combo, if C is not a combat charm.
They might be. IIRC, you are required to name your combos (and morally required to shout that name while using them). Two combos might be the same if they have the same charms, but they might also be the same if they have the same name. After all, there are rules for "adding a charm to a combo," which wording suggests that it is not a different combo afterwards.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Today's my 23rd birthday! Fun times.

Incidentally, my birthday is also the anniversary of the Jonestown murders.
Half asleep upon my knee
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

You are actually younger than me by 7 years? x.x

Also: My condolences to again being a year older.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Stahlseele wrote:You are actually younger than me by 7 years? x.x
Did you think I was older? Alas, no. I'm a young spring... thingy that's young. And springs. And stuff.
Half asleep upon my knee
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

yes, actually . . i thought i'd be one of, if not the youngest here . . happens to me basically most anywhere else <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Happy Birthday!!
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Grazie!
Half asleep upon my knee
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Happy Birthday, you young'un. I used to be "the young one" (by 2-3 years) in the groups I hung out with, then "the really young one" (by up to 20 years) with another group, but as soon as things turned online, nope, OLD.

Also, the posters are completed.
Cthulhu/Lovecraft images: 2
Communist Propaganda: 4
Aperture Laboratories: 2
Posters that contain pokemon: 27
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

So I have narcolepsy now. Or rather, I've had it for the 5 or 6 years, and it is the reason I dropped out of college, then couldn't keep up with a 15 hour a week job.

Having narcolepsy is like passing into a mirror world where DARE never happened and the powers that be tell you to go round popping stimulants and take GHB.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Orion wrote:So I have narcolepsy now. Or rather, I've had it for the 5 or 6 years, and it is the reason I dropped out of college, then couldn't keep up with a 15 hour a week job.

Having narcolepsy is like passing into a mirror world where DARE never happened and the powers that be tell you to go round popping stimulants and take GHB.
Is that sort of delay in diagnosis in common? I will admit to knowing exactly fuck all about real world narcolepsy, but I was under the impression that it featured sudden and almost uncontrollable bouts of sleepiness that would frequently put you right out. That seems like something someone would have picked up on at some point, even if not you specifically because it's been going on so long that it's just "normal" to you.

Also, you have my sympathies. That's really shitty.

Edit: actually, I just looked it up, and holy shit the average delay between onset of symptoms and diagnosis is fifteen fucking years. That is staggering. So nevermind.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So, I have my passport and this Christmas was going to be "going to Sweden for 3 months, all the cuddles, all the sex, So This Is Now" and so on.

But my girlfriend has been having problems with an irregular heartbeat. After some scans and such, the doctors said "Probably general anxiety disorder" but accept a small possibility of it being something else. They've prescribed her narcotics (apparently their medical system is even better than I thought, and I thought it was completely amazing), but yes, she wants to get her health under control.

So this Christmas I'll be moping around the place as normal. Though admittedly I have more than 3K stored away, I imagine I could buy a mountain of heroinLego or something.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Or . . save it for when she's better?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I'm guessing they'd need to wait for another long holiday.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

Aw, that sucks! Condolences. I hope it's not too long before another opportunity rolls around.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Actually, I will save most of it. See, I do volunteer work, which means I can take time off whenever the fuck I like, they're not paying me for this. And the government stops paying you if you're on the social the moment you leave the country ever. So really, financially, there is no particular reason to go over the Christmas holidays. If we're one month back into the working year and she gets the all-clear, then yeah, I'm packing my bags and pissing off for the entire first term.

Her work is fairly flexible (and she doesn't work too many hours), so it should be fine from that angle too. The problems are "putting up with Australian fire season*", the let-down of what I thought would be happening in like one month from now, and generally putting up with all the visitors we get during fire season because we have a massive swimming pool and my stepdad knows basically everyone because he taught every person in Australia at some point in time. My ideal number of guests, for the record, is zero. Edit: oh christ, and the fact that my stepsister will be watching millions of hours of American sit-coms.

So I will save up, but I might blow a few hundred dollars on toys and stuff to keep myself distracted. Perhaps a TV that has working sound so I can properly enjoy the PS3 (N1 games really are enriched by the sound).

*Other countries call it Summer. We name it as we see it.
Last edited by Koumei on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.