[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

This is the non-political news thread. I think you wanted the non-U.S. political news thread. But while we're talking about France, National Front kicked ass in the latest regional elections.

Europe looks a little more fucked every day. It's... genuinely horrifying. I knew abstractly that shit was going to get bad when the "austerity, always and forever" camp prevailed in the Greek crisis, but I was expecting it to play out much differently. A far-right nationalist party would sweep a small periphery state, turn it into a fascist hellhole, and then the elites would fucking panic and something would happen - not necessarily something good, but there'd at least be a change in strategy when far-right anti-establishment movements started winning governments. But instead of that, it's 2015 and France's current centre-left leaders are building a police state that far-right nationalists might very plausibly be holding the reins of within the next decade.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

They are, somehwat, trying to counter it at least, if i understood it corectly . .
one of the centre/left parties in france that's smaller than the national front has decided to not have their own candidates for the next election and rather work together with a left/centre party that's bigger than the national front so the left/centre front is closed against the right.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

DSMatticus wrote: But instead of that, it's 2015 and France's current centre-left leaders are building a police state that far-right nationalists might very plausibly be holding the reins of within the next decade.
Well, unless the centre-left leaders ban opposing political parties and candidates. That is where abuse of emergency powers goes, after all.

Not that it's a particularly better outcome that way.
Last edited by name_here on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

wonder what a centre/leftist police state would look like . .
probably like something straigh out of jeremy clarksons nightmares.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I'm guessing basically take any description of any police state ever and do a find-replace on the identities of political opponents. They'll just accuse people they don't like of hate speech instead of being Jewish/Communist/Capitalist. They've already used emergency powers activated in response to an Islamic terror attack to arrest climate protesters, so it's not like they haven't already set a precedent of arresting people for disagreeing with them rather than being associated with a group that they're using as a justification for being allowed to arrest people indiscriminately.
Last edited by name_here on Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Why are we, and apparently the far left in France, pretending that the party built on oppressing Muslims and Silencing Climate Change Protesters is a centre left party?

I mean, yeah they haven't specifically told the poor white people to go die in a ditch yet... but like, if the Democrats tomorrow revealed their new plan going forward as "We would like to oppress black people and disband all unions" would we still call them a center-left party?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just realized I was describing FDR/Truman, so I guess we would still consider them center-left.
Last edited by Kaelik on Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Stahlseele wrote:wonder what a centre/leftist police state would look like ..
There were examples. They were called the USSR, the Khmer Rouge, the People's Republic.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Occluded Sun wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:wonder what a centre/leftist police state would look like ..
There were examples. They were called the USSR, the Khmer Rouge, the People's Republic.
Lacking from your examples: centre.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

nockermensch wrote:Lacking from your examples: centre.
That's a societally-relative category, even presuming that we're willing to force things into the left-right pigeonhole in the first place.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Holy shit, Coke brought Surge back?!
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Whipstitch wrote:The history of religion can easily be summarized as a bunch of assholes yelling "No true Scotsman would ever..." at one another.
You called it
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Shrapnel wrote:Holy shit, Coke brought Surge back?!
SurgeRunner
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Ancient History wrote:http://mradilbert.tumblr.com/
Wait, Adams is an MRA? Shit.

This is why I maintain you should never meet or even learn about your favorite authors/artists/etc.. You only end up disappointed.
Half asleep upon my knee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm pretty sure it's a parody of Dilbert, akin to Garfield Minus Garfield, albeit based on Adams' mysogynistic views. I don't think he's expressly an MRA, just a blatant mysogynistic asshole.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Ah. Well, he's still a jerk, which still makes me not want to learn too much about authors I like.
Half asleep upon my knee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Pretty much. I'm lucky that I stopped finding Dilbert particularly funny a good five years before his stupid views were becoming apparent.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

It's Dilbert using quotes from Adam's blog. I'm not sure which of the bewildering array of acronyms for misogynistic assholes he can be most closely associated with.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Knowing it's lines from his blog makes it even better

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Was wondering how they had so many quotes of him saying monstrous things, given that I couldn't see any reason anyone would want to interview him, but I guess blog makes sense.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

It's hard to find the quotes though. Scott Adams deleted the blog post they came from after people called him out on it. Someone saved the article and put it on their blog, but eventually deleted it as well. Fortunately the Wayback Machine has us covered!

Adams' reasoning for deleting his article, listed in a comments section of an article on his post.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).