Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

I'm just pushing back against:
hogarth wrote: people would claim that "invisibility = greater invisibility" without a disclaimer saying otherwise.
Nobody is claiming any such thing. They're claiming that the item refers to the special ability invisibility, which is MORE LIKE the spell greater invisibility than the spell invisibility in that the special ability invisibility is not dropped when you make an attack.
-JM
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

hogarth wrote:
RobbyPants wrote:So, after all that crap about the Ring of Blinking... they just changed their minds?
I think it's much more likely that whoever wrote the description of the item got sloppy and didn't realise that people would claim that "invisibility = greater invisibility" without a disclaimer saying otherwise.
So, is this like the inverse of the Crossbow Sniper thing? Instead of actually making a feat that does nothing because they don't know the rules, they made an item that's really useful to rogues because they don't know the rules?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Why is that so hard to believe, RobbyPants? If a game designer releases an expansion option that by a strict literal reading makes it underpowered compared to its intent, that was intentional all along and you should go by the more PC-screwing ruling. And you should also shut up about RAI; we're going with RAW. Yet via Morton's Fork contrariwise if a game designer releases an expansion option that by a strict literal reading makes it overpowered compared to its intent, they fucked up and you should go by the more PC-screwing ruling. And you should also shut up about RAW; we're going with RAI.

Rule Negative Two, yo'. Learn it, live it, love it. :awesome:
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
MfA
Knight-Baron

Post by MfA »

They printed the sniper goggles too ... maybe someone at Paizo just likes rogues?
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Hogarth wrote:The idea that one of the writers for Paizo was lazy and/or confused and/or stupid when writing that item is so unbelievable to you, that the very suggestion of it must mean that the suggester has some kind of ulterior motive?
The rules are a page of text right there. The possibility that game developers are stupid is not surprising to anyone, but how stupid any given game developer may or may not be has fuck all to do with the piece of text which is simply objectively what it is. You cannot actually defend what the rules say on the basis that you have the ability to read minds.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Why is that so hard to believe, RobbyPants?
It's not hard to believe. In fact, it's the only thing I can believe, barring some unspoken backpedaling that involves stealth-buffing rogues.

I expect to see this ring quietly nerfed in the near future, or to have another retroactive "ruling" made to nerf it since it was "always that way from the beginning".
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

So, pardon my ignorance, but in the context of pathfinder, would someone be willing to tell me what the pros and cons of a wizard specializing in conjuration vs transmutation would be, even if telling me comes in the form of just a link for me to go read?
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Archmage Joda wrote:So, pardon my ignorance, but in the context of pathfinder, would someone be willing to tell me what the pros and cons of a wizard specializing in conjuration vs transmutation would be, even if telling me comes in the form of just a link for me to go read?
There are two major differences:
1) you get to choose from a different list of minor bullshit abilities
2) you get extra spells in a different school

#2 is more important. For the low-mid levels, Conjuration just offers better spells than Transmutation. It evens out a bit as the levels go up, but you'll never be disappointed that you wrote Conjurer on your character sheet.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Whatever wrote:1) you get to choose from a different list of minor bullshit abilities
...and/or you can cherry-pick the one or two pretty good abilities, like the divination bonus to Init and ability to always act in the surprise round or the teleportation school's swift action teleport.
Last edited by hogarth on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Hey, I know Pathfinder is still... um, bad, and stuff, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good module for a beginner group? A friend of mine is taking a stab at doing this- he's familiar with the conventions of fantasy but has never actually played D&D. (and it's in Montanasota or something, or I would have volunteered to MC it for him).
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Archmage Joda wrote:So, pardon my ignorance, but in the context of pathfinder, would someone be willing to tell me what the pros and cons of a wizard specializing in conjuration vs transmutation would be, even if telling me comes in the form of just a link for me to go read?
The specializations are actually online Here.

Transmutation specialization is bullshit because it gives you the special power to get minor bonuses to melee combat that still in no way add up to being actually good at melee combat. Conjuration specialization is awesome because it gives you extra uses of 4th level spells that are awesome.

-Username17
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:Hey, I know Pathfinder is still... um, bad, and stuff, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good module for a beginner group? A friend of mine is taking a stab at doing this- he's familiar with the conventions of fantasy but has never actually played D&D. (and it's in Montanasota or something, or I would have volunteered to MC it for him).
In this thread, if you scroll down a little some people are talking about paizo adventure paths.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:Hey, I know Pathfinder is still... um, bad, and stuff, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good module for a beginner group? A friend of mine is taking a stab at doing this- he's familiar with the conventions of fantasy but has never actually played D&D. (and it's in Montanasota or something, or I would have volunteered to MC it for him).
Well, at the very least he should stay away from the Legacy of Fire AP: it is made of feces and rotted semen.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

After reading that thread I recommended Age of Worms and Shackled City. There is a part of me that hopes his campaign crashes and burns and I get to run him through Tome or something when he gets back. :)
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

I'd recommend starting with something free and relatively easy like Master of the Fallen Fortress or We Be Goblins. The price is right, anyways.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:After reading that thread I recommended Age of Worms and Shackled City. There is a part of me that hopes his campaign crashes and burns and I get to run him through Tome or something when he gets back. :)
Trying to learn the Pathfinder RPG by playing adventures written for 3.5 strikes me as a bad idea.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Aha. Looking at that thread again, you're right. I'll pass on your suggestions from the previous post.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

This will be news to most readers: By the end of 2010, the Pathfinder RPG had already overtaken D&D as the bestselling RPG. It would take almost half a year before industry magazine ICv2 first reported it, and several quarters more before some people were willing to accept it as fact, but internally, we already knew it was true.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

If Mike Mearls wasn't helming 5E D&D Paizo's ascension would send me into hate convulsions. But since he is, I'm just going to do this pouty hatah expression. :hatin:
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Well, I'm glad they 'just knew' things without waiting for trivial little things like facts, reports and statistics, but... eh.

Is there any context for the quote at all? It obviously came after the point at which White Wolf had set themselves on fire, but if it was a realization that occurred during the height of the 4e marketing campaign of 'If you liked 3e, go fuck yourself and go away,' this is hardly a shocking achievement, since no other major RPG studios even exist.
Last edited by Voss on Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Voss wrote:Well, I'm glad they 'just knew' things without waiting for trivial little things like facts, reports and statistics, but... eh.
I assume they were getting reports from vendors and from other people in the industry. So "reports" -- yes. "Facts" and "statistics" -- who knows.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Guess I should have quoted more.
We'd heard it from nearly all of our hobby trade distributors; we'd heard it from buyers at book chains like Barnes & Noble and Borders; we could see it using industry sales trackers such as BookScan; we were even regularly coming out on top on Amazon's bestseller charts. Each individual market we sold in had us either tied with or outselling D&D, and none of those sources counted our considerable direct sales on paizo.com. Put all of those things together, and it was clear: Pathfinder had become the first RPG ever to oust D&D from top spot.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Are they really claiming that in the long years between TSR and WotC, D&D still outsold everything else? Anybody know if that is actually true?

In my head at least that should overlap at least slightly with Vampire.
Last edited by Voss on Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I'm pretty sure they're just being idiots.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Pathfinder outperformed its direct competition, though. "3e but different + competent marketing" vs "D&D but not + we don't even WANT you to play our game, you stupid D&D players" isn't really a contest.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yeah, pretty sure that White Wolf was outselling TSR in the late nineties. That statement by Paizo is only true if you mean that a game's edition outsold a D&D edition. Pathfinder outsold 4e D&D. Full stop. Vampire, while it beat the pants off AD&D in monthly sales, can't actually say that about any edition. If you try to pull something fancy like claiming that 2nd edition Revised counts as an edition, then you have to do the same for Vampire and that goes badly for White Wolf because they had so many editions between 1991 and 1999 (Vampire: Dark Ages: Revised Edition, anyone?). If you compare Vampire in up to 1999 against AD&D 2nd edition in total, it comes out poorly because AD&D was winning pretty hard in the early nineties and of course was unopposed by Vampire in 1989.

-Username17