What is the biggest debacle of RPG history?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Er, I mean people who maintain that Matrix 2 and 3 never happened.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
wotmaniac
Knight-Baron

Post by wotmaniac »

I've always liked how Highlander 2 was literally ret-conned out of the franchise. Bravo.
*WARNING*: I say "fuck" a lot.
"The most patriotic thing you can do as an American is to become filthy, filthy rich."
- Mark Cuban

"Game design has no obligation to cater to people who don’t buy into the premise of the game"

TGD -- skirting the edges of dickfinity since 2003.

Public Service Announcement
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

wotmaniac wrote:I've always liked how Highlander 2 was literally ret-conned out of the franchise. Bravo.
Unfortunately, Endgame and The Source happened.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
K
King

Post by K »

wotmaniac wrote:I've always liked how Highlander 2 was literally ret-conned out of the franchise. Bravo.
The real masterstroke was how the Highlander TV series retconned out ALL the movies.

Unfortunately, they set that on fire when the post-series movies started trying to merge the series with the movies. This leaves people to declare that "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!" with either the first movie OR the series.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

While I'm more than comfortable making jokes at the expense of Matrix & Tool worshiping uber-bros,* I think the quality gap between the first Matrix and its sequels is sufficient enough that I have hard time faulting people much for the shopworn "Doesn't exist" jokes. I mean, yeah, Morpheus clearly pulled his profundities from out of a fortune cookie and the plot wasn't nearly as hard to explain or as mind-blowing as some people seemed to think it was, but at the same time the film was still dimly aware of the "Show, don't tell" principle of story telling. For example, Keanu would get stubborn and the movie would respond by getting weirder. The getting bugged sequence doesn't make my top 10 sci-fi moments by any means, but it did a fairly memorable job of disillusioning Neo and demonstrating that the old rules no longer apply. Compared to the bullshit exposition slogs in the subsequent movies that's a big point in the film's favor.

*These guys also tend to be big fans of Fight Club (Semi-defensible) and Boondock Saints (lolno) for some reason.
bears fall, everyone dies
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

K wrote:
The real masterstroke was how the Highlander TV series retconned out ALL the movies.

Unfortunately, they set that on fire when the post-series movies started trying to merge the series with the movies. This leaves people to declare that "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!" with either the first movie OR the series.
Highlander is a great franchise where almost half the fanbase agrees that the first half of the first film happened.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

*nods*
One of the best 1 Hour Movies i have ever seen.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

I think that most Series fans agree that Archangel never happened. Man, that was a stupid one.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Parthenon wrote:Aliens vs Predator... nah. Never happened. They only crossed over in a couple of comics, and definitely never in films. Or a lot of other crossovers. Definitely not Superman and Batman vs Aliens and Predator.
The "best" crossover was on film in Predator, where the alien skull is glimpsed inside the Predator's dwelling. (sorry if my sarcasm meter is broken)

I remember (vaguely!) reading an Aliens3 script that had it set in a monastery instead of a prison and not thinking the script was total crap, but that was like 15 years ago...and now I go to google to find said script and read it...

*edit* ...aaaaand I'm realizing how little I know about the Aliens franchise history as I read wikipedia...would've liked to see Gibson's Aliens3....
Last edited by phlapjackage on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

The most fun I've had with Alien vs Predator was the Capcom brawler
Really fantastic artwork by Akira Yasuda.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Admittedly, the only version of Alien3 you should watch is the Director's Cut which at least makes sense and has a conclusive storyline. The Director's Cut is still a pretty meh movie and disappointing, but at least it's popcorn.