[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Although I have since fallen out of touch with most of them, I was told that by several somewhat prominent entomologists and arachnologists I used to talk with online sometimes. It's entirely likely that I worded that poorly, the communication center of my brain is kind of scrambled and I don't express thoughts well. I certainly don't expect anyone to believe most things I say. That being said, I am sure you won't mind if I take the words over someone who spent years studying arthropods over someone who has not.
Okay, let's try this again:

1) HUMANS DID NOT EVOLVE TO LIVE IN HOUSES!

There, now can you maybe begin to understand what I said? Just a little bit?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Count, are you perhaps mistakenly using the term "evolve" when what should be said is "adapt?"
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Some mosquitoes evolved to live in subways. Rather horrifying stuff, actually.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Un ... d_mosquito

I'm gonna go add that to the Wikipedia thread.
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Thank you for the clarification, Kaelik. I will take that into consideration for future improvements.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Apparently there's going to be another D&D movie, set in Faerun this time.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

I hope it's as bad as the other ones. Let's face it, it's unlikely they can pull off a good movie, so I'd rather have a hilariously bad movie than a bland decent one.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Book of Vile Darkness was merely mediocre. I mean, it's not winning any awards, but it wasn't painful to watch like the first three, and it had recognizable things from the books (mostly). So it's possible that Untitled FR Movie will be entertaining.

They just need to actually put some money and real talent behind it and get a competent writer.

Basically, they need to do sort of what the Starship Troopers movie did, only with a bit more oversight. Starship Troopers had next to nothing to do with the book, but was a good movie that had a license slapped on it. WotC needs to just let Warner Bros make a good fantasy movie and slap Dungeons and Dragons on it, and then write up semi-decent mechanics for shit in the movie and cross promote.

They of course won't do this, but there's at least a possibility they're adapting a specific book and might have something workable.

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... rth-theory

I particilary like some of the anti-newtonian arguements that flat earthers make to disprove gravity.

“We are asked by the Newtonian to believe that the action of gravitation, which we can easily overcome by the slightest exercise of volition in raising an hand or a foot, is so overwhelmingly violent when we lose our balance and fall a distance of a few feet, that this force, which is imperceptible under usual conditions, may, under extraordinary circumstances, cause the fracture of every limb we possess? Common-sense must reject this interpretation. Gravitation does not furnish a satisfactory explanation of the phenomena here described, whereas the definition of weight already given does, for a body seeking in the readiest manner its level of stability would produce precisely the result experienced. If the influence which kept us securely attached to this earth were identical with that which is powerful enough to disturb a distant planet in its orbit, we should be more immediately conscious of its masterful presence and potency; whereas this influence is so impotent in the very spot where it is supposed to be most dominant that we find an insurmountable difficulty in accepting the idea of its existence.” -N. Crossland, “New Principia”

http://flatearth.click/

I'd love to make those sorts of arguments in a game.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

So... they don't understand how exponents work? That's the message I'm getting from that passage.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Prak wrote:Book of Vile Darkness was merely mediocre. I mean, it's not winning any awards, but it wasn't painful to watch like the first three, and it had recognizable things from the books (mostly). So it's possible that Untitled FR Movie will be entertaining.

They just need to actually put some money and real talent behind it and get a competent writer.

Basically, they need to do sort of what the Starship Troopers movie did, only with a bit more oversight. Starship Troopers had next to nothing to do with the book, but was a good movie that had a license slapped on it. WotC needs to just let Warner Bros make a good fantasy movie and slap Dungeons and Dragons on it, and then write up semi-decent mechanics for shit in the movie and cross promote.

They of course won't do this, but there's at least a possibility they're adapting a specific book and might have something workable.
This is wrong. D&D is incredibly idiosyncratic, specially around spellcasters and monsters. If you make a "generic" fantasy movie and try to slap the D&D tag on it, you'll end with the Internet splitting with nerd-rage when a blue dragon doesn't have a single horn on the snout or breath lightning or when the wizard says that she needs some minutes of rest before her mana recharge so she can cast Fireball again. I don't think you'd want a situation where the people who should do free adversitment for you (the fans) will instead recommend that people don't watch the movie.

You don't need to believe me. Just read these.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well.... ok, yes. A generic fantasy movie with no regard to D&D basic conceits would fuel huge ragestorms online. I mean, those ragestorms would actually fuel ticket sales, because that's the real way something like that works, but it's not certain that you'd sell more tickets than sans-ragestorm.

But WotC could just write up a Franchise Style Bible, like you'd have for a TV show, and hand it to movie makers so that casters are vancian and blue dragons are lightning-spitting rhinos.

Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

A setting bible isn't something that just anyone can throw together. It takes skill, both to have an exhaustive understanding of what needs to be in there and to know how to clearly and effectively communicate it. If we're assuming that WotC has the skills they need to make a movie work, then the conversation comes down to "all WotC needs to make a good movie is to get people who are good at making movies to make it." As opposed to what?
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Prak wrote: I mean, those ragestorms would actually fuel ticket sales, because that's the real way something like that works, but it's not certain that you'd sell more tickets than sans-ragestorm.
It almost certainly wouldn't. We're not talking about the kind of shit storm generated by a provocative work that catches the eye of the general public with its ribaldry or bold political stances. We're not even talking about sheltered women getting wet over 50 Shades of Grey. What we're talking about is D&D wonks faffing on about shit nobody on the outside of the bubble cares about.
bears fall, everyone dies
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:So... they don't understand how exponents work? That's the message I'm getting from that passage.
I Find This Unintuitive
∴ It Is Wrong
QED
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

hyzmarca wrote:http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... rth-theory

I particilary like some of the anti-newtonian arguements that flat earthers make to disprove gravity.
This reminds me of an argument I got into with a geocentrist a few years ago. They also have to disprove gravity so they can get around the notion of the earth revolving around the sun. The whole thing is so incredibly fucked.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Chamomile wrote:A setting bible isn't something that just anyone can throw together. It takes skill, both to have an exhaustive understanding of what needs to be in there and to know how to clearly and effectively communicate it. If we're assuming that WotC has the skills they need to make a movie work, then the conversation comes down to "all WotC needs to make a good movie is to get people who are good at making movies to make it." As opposed to what?
Are there any examples of setting bibles that one can review? Particularly any that are considered good from a organizational standpoint?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I think this is the only one I've ever seen released, so I don't know how good it is relatively, but the product was high quality, so...
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

So, uh. Nestle literally uses slave labor. I don't even know what to say.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Longes wrote:So, uh. Nestle literally uses slave labor. I don't even know what to say.
Well, at least they're coming out and saying they don't like it and want it to stop.

EDIT:

The point of the article is that they discovered and reported it themselves.

I consider this a positive action on their part, and would consider buying more of their products because of it, if I actually knew of something they made that I liked.
Last edited by RadiantPhoenix on Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

In case you missed it, later on the article it says that Nestle is meanwhile fighting in courts tooth and nail to cover up that they're using children labour to farm cocoa in a much bigger scale than in Thailand.

So it seems just like a diversionary tactic. "How dare you claim we're using child slaves to farm cocoa? Look, look, we just found out we had been using some child slaves in Thailand and we're reporting it ourselves, now stop asking questions about our much bigger slave operation!"

Plus it seems like everybody already knew that Nestle were using child slaves in Thailand, the only thing remaining was Nestle itself coming out and admiting it. Well, that and Nestle stoping using cheap child labour. Just because they "say" they want it to stop doesn't seem to be preventing them from making a profit out of it.
Last edited by maglag on Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Pass. The kinkiest women tend to be the most conservative, very few liberal women are any fun at all.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Actually, you can attract kinky lefty women, you just have to present them with hard party drugs. Conservative women are exactly the same, except instead of MDMA, they want to fuck multiple other dudes, preferably with big black cocks. Perhaps your data is skewed by what you have on offer? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Pass. The kinkiest women tend to be the most conservative, very few liberal women are any fun at all.
That has not even remotely been my experience.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.