News that makes us laugh, cry, or both

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

How does attacking local officials 'fight the power'? It just makes police violence justified.

-Crissa
Data Vampire
Master

Post by Data Vampire »

Crissa wrote:How does attacking local officials 'fight the power'? It just makes police violence justified.

-Crissa
If you do it carefully, it lets you play the victim card.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

It doesn't seem to have worked.

...Because it's not a life or death situation, like bringing food to Gaza. It's just spoiled brats protesting. Their cause may be good, but it's so much noise and too little against too much.

-Crissa
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Paul Kanjorski wrote: We’re giving relief to people that I deal with in my office every day now unfortunately. But because of the longevity of this recession, these are people — and they’re not minorities and they’re not defective and they’re not all the things you’d like to insinuate that these programs are about — these are average, good American people.
Ahahaha.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Data Vampire
Master

Post by Data Vampire »

It doesn't have to be life or death. It does however require you to make the other side seem like the bad guys whether they are or not. If you provoke the police, record their reaction, and then show video of the police's action without the context it would be easy enough to pass it off as oppression to the ignorant.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

But that happens anyhow. There's video... There's court records of police arresting hundreds of people - including the people who just happened to be on the street or worked there - and then keeping them without water or toilets for hours on end. There's video of police harassing legal, peaceful protestors.

Why bother with provoking? It happens all the time, it gets video, and nothing happens.

-Crissa
Data Vampire
Master

Post by Data Vampire »

Remember the police doing that type of stuff to the Tea Party protestors? What was differnt so it didn't happen to them?
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Data Vampire wrote:Remember the police doing that type of stuff to the Tea Party protestors? What was differnt so it didn't happen to them?
Umm, no?

Teabaggers show up with guns, beat up people at town halls, and hardly any get arrested. Nonviolent peace protestors show up, and they get arrested for jaywalking and disorderly conduct.

Hmmm... I think the difference is class/racial, most likely.

-Crissa
Last edited by Crissa on Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Data Vampire
Master

Post by Data Vampire »

Do you have any links to show Tea Party protesters being violent?
I do remember one showing up with a rifle, but that person was black, so you wouldn't be able to play the race card on that.

edit

Here is a video of the rifle. Here is another video of the same person. From what I got while looking for those two videos is he wasn't the only armed person and MSNBC tried to pass him off as a white raciest. :nonono:

The closest I've found to tea parters being violent at protests so far is this video that only shows some Union members beating a black tea parter. Of course I cannot say what happened before the camera started rolling.

What I haven't found is massive property damage, assaults on the police, and other stuff like the G20.

Here's an update on the arrest number.
Last edited by Data Vampire on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Remember that time that the Tea Party guy tried to bomb Times Square? Oh, wait, it was a Muslim.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Remember when that muslim blew up a daycare and the ALfred Murrah building? Oh, Wait, it was a fucking white man!

See, I can do that same bullshit that you do. So shut the fuck up and go away, P_R
Last edited by Cynic on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Remember when that Muslim left the Gaming Den? Oh wait, that was P_R. Those were good times, why did he come back?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Characterize the Tea Party as terrorists: fuck year.
Characterize Muslims are terrorists: fuck you.

Sure is PC Nazism in here.
Ant wrote:
DragonChild
Knight-Baron

Post by DragonChild »

I don't see how characterizing a group that elects and supports people who's leaders threaten armed rebellion if they don't win elections as terrorists is misleading.
Data Vampire
Master

Post by Data Vampire »

Remember kids, don't show evidence and call people Nazis when they disagree is perfectly reasonable.

This clip could be interpreted as profiling the times square bomber as a potential tea partier.

Remember the plane that was crashed into a IRS building.
Remember this thread? At least two members of this board described this person as a terrorist tea partier.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Islam: An old religion with hundreds of millions of adherents in many sects all over the globe.

Teabagging: A new "astroturf" political movement in the United States with thousands of adherents and no coherent ideology, with the messages of "hands off my healthcare" and "don't tax me", named after the act of placing one's testicles on another person's face.
Have I been trolled?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Remember kids, don't show evidence and call people Nazis when they disagree is perfectly reasonable.
Calling someone a PC Nazi is the same thing as calling them a real Nazi, am I right?
Ant wrote:
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Data Vampire wrote:Remember the plane that was crashed into a IRS building.
Remember this thread? At least two members of this board described this person as a terrorist tea partier.
He was a tea partier. And a terrorist.

What's your point? Lunatic anti-tax movement with no coherent ideology sweeps the nation, and a lunatic anti-tax crusader with no coherent ideology commits a suicide terrorist attack. Of course the latter belongs to the former and of course the former disavows the latter.

Seriously, what's your point?

Edit: as for weaponry at public events, yes the Teapartiers do that. When even the Christian Science Monitor can see thatthe Teabaggers are getting preferential treatment from police, it's probably time to stop pretending that you're a victim. Of anything.

-Username17
Last edited by Username17 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Data Vampire
Master

Post by Data Vampire »

FrankTrollman wrote:He was a tea partier. And a terrorist.

What's your point? Lunatic anti-tax movement with no coherent ideology sweeps the nation, and a lunatic anti-tax crusader with no coherent ideology commits a suicide terrorist attack. Of course the latter belongs to the former and of course the former disavows the latter.
First I was putting Psychic Robot's post in a context to people could actually understand what he is talking about. Secondly that is affirming the consequent.

Edit: as for weaponry at public events, yes the Teapartiers do that.
I already posted proof of that. In the instance that I found, it was actual legal. Still it strikes me as odd that the secret service didn't have much of a problem with it.
When even the Christian Science Monitor can see thatthe Teabaggers are getting preferential treatment from police, it's probably time to stop pretending that you're a victim. Of anything.
While they might be getting some preferential treatment that are not destroying store and burning police cars.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I might point out that studies of the number of news articles on the FBI bombing vs the Times Square bomb? Or the failed bomb on an airplane?

What peace protest included destroyed police cars?

Oh, right. none in the last decade.

-Crissa
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Double standards are a good thing.
Last edited by Psychic Robot on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ant wrote:
Neeeek
Knight-Baron

Post by Neeeek »

Data Vampire wrote: The closest I've found to tea parters being violent at protests so far is this video that only shows some Union members beating a black tea parter. Of course I cannot say what happened before the camera started rolling.[/url]
You also have no fucking clue who is who in that video. The guy on the ground is the union guy, and the guy beating the crap out of him is the tea partier. Just because you don't know who is who, doesn't mean the rest of us don't.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Data Vampire wrote:First I was putting Psychic Robot's post in a context to people could actually understand what he is talking about.
Here's the only context you need to understand about Psychic Robot:

He's only here to try to piss people off. He might even be the sock puppet of another poster and only brings out Psychic Robot when he is feeling down and wants to make other people feel worse. Maybe he was smacked around too much as a child, maybe he wasn't smacked around enough as a child, one can only speculate why he does that. However, it's best to not even react when he says something.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Clutch9800
Master

Post by Clutch9800 »

Teabagging: A new "astroturf" political movement in the United States with thousands of adherents and no coherent ideology, with the messages of "hands off my healthcare" and "don't tax me", named after the act of placing one's testicles on another person's face.
That's a bit unfair. The "movement" is called the "Tea Party" movement.

After the Boston Tea Party.

They were given the name "TeaBaggers" by thier political/idealogical enemies on the Left.

The Boston Tea Party was about "unfair taxation". One of the central tenants of the American Revolution was fighting against "Taxation without representation".

After the war was over it became apparant pretty quickly that while Americans didn't like Taxation Without Representation, it was mainly the fact that we just don't like Taxation period.

Clutch
Clutch9800
Master

Post by Clutch9800 »

Crissa wrote:I might point out that studies of the number of news articles on the FBI bombing vs the Times Square bomb? Or the failed bomb on an airplane?

What peace protest included destroyed police cars?

Oh, right. none in the last decade.

-Crissa
What do you mean by that first sentence? It seems incomplete.